Gaming Machine - Advice / Coolant

5 posts in this topic

Hey all, Im making a gaming purpose PC in the next week or so with these components:

Intel Core 2 Quad (not exactly sure which i can afford yet)

Abit IN9 32X-MAX Motherboard

4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB HDD

GeForce 9600GT (not exactly which card to get yet (one for approx £110) be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Enermax 600W ATX PSU

An Arctic Cooling aftermarket CPU fan

Now i know all my parts will fit together right and i'l be able to find a case for it all... but I'm really paranoid about the little details.

I imagine the 600W PSU will be plenty for that setup - but what really bugs me is keeping the lot COOL.. Ive heard you need to put fans in your PC case to keep your rig cool? How do i know how many? and how do i know what temp my PC needs to run at to stop it from overheating?

On a secondary note.. i'd prefer it to be a quiet PC.. i dont want it to sound like a jet engine if possible :(

Anyone got any comments??

many thanks.

600W will do for sure.

But you should really think about the GPU once more. I mean, you say a PC for 'gaming purpose' and then you'd like to have a 9600 GT in there? Hello?? I mean, even the MBP got it. At least stick to an 9800GT or a 9800GTX. This should do it and they are getting really cheap.

If you liek it quiet, take watercooling, but this is expensive. :rolleyes:

Intel Core 2 Quad (not exactly sure which i can afford yet)

Abit IN9 32X-MAX Motherboard

4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB HDD

GeForce 9600GT (not exactly which card to get yet (one for approx £110) be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Enermax 600W ATX PSU

An Arctic Cooling aftermarket CPU fan

Abit is no longer alive, i wouldn't put money on their motherboards anymore, no RMA's or warranties exist for them. If you have a problem with it ever, you'll be shelling out for a new board. Gigabyte and Asus are the two biggest, i prefer MSI though.

sratch out DDR3, the price does not warrant the performance, and you're not going i7, so DDR2 will be plenty fast. DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 will suffice.

1TB drive is all fine and dandy, if you want a brick. stay away from the Seagate 1TB drives for now, there's a huge bad lot that will get bricked, and it's no piece of cake to fix them. either get a WD 1TB drive and a different OS drive, or suck up and deal with less. WD 640gb drives have beautiful performance.

9600GT's are ok for gaming, but i'll agree with Thath0r, the 9600GT has a low number of Steam processors (important for gaming). 9800 line cards are much better.

Also, 600W is more than enough, you might even go down to 400-500 watts, and you'll still have lots of headroom.

I'd suggest some other heatsink, maybe a tower style (they really do cool better). Xigmatek has the HDT series, 1283 and 1284, they've got incredible performance for the price, and blow away stock cooling immensly.

hope that helps you out, feel free to ask more, i've built and spec'd tons of systems.

A Corsair VX/HX 450W would be enough for a quad and any mono-GPU graphic card. And a 9600GT is a poor gaming machine by today's standards. You'd better go for a Dual Core CPU (OC'd E7300) and a 9800GTX/HD4850 at least. For