Dual Boot Windows 7 and Leopard on same HD with Chameleon

7 posts in this topic

If anyone has a guide for this or knows where a guide is located please post here :P I looked and didnt really find anything. I currently have Leopard and Windows 7 installed on the same HD and would like to dual boot them using Chameleon 2. Thanks!

I agree,a tutorial would be great.

If I finally get it done,I'll create one (GPT).

It's really awful to make a dual-boot Win7/OS X in GPT with Chameleon 2...(See my topic in this subforum)

Adam

I didn't have a problem with either MBR or GPT just make sure you make a FAT32 partition During the installation of mac first then activate that partition before installing Windows 7. I have Windows 7 and WIndows Vista with Mac OSX no problem.

1) Boot Off Mac DVD

2) Goto DiskUtils and make Two partitions one for Mac and a FAT32 for Windows 7

3) Install Mac OSX

4) Reboot

5) Boot Windows 7 DVD or Vista DVD its the same

6) Go to recovery mode and use Diskpart to activate FAT32 Partition.

7) Reboot and Boot again from Windows 7/Vista DVD

8) Format the Fat32 partition

9) Install Windows 7/Vista

10) Install All Drivers

11) Reboot

12) Boot of Windows 7/Vista DVD and reassign Mac As active.

13) If you get the boot0 error use a CDBoot CD

14) Install Chameleon 2 RC1

have fun!

My experience with windows 7 is it will not boot unless its active. it complains.

So i use the windows 7 boot loader to boot my OS-X 10.5.6, i have Windows 7 set as active partition on ntfs. I used a free utility that loads a mac bios from the windows boot loader so u don't get the dreaded HSF partition error, it turned out to be rather easy. and you dont have to use horrible fat32 FS for windows 7 which waists boat loads of space, is slower and fragments horribly.

I will post more detail with files later tonight when im not at work.

My experience with windows 7 is it will not boot unless its active. it complains.

So i use the windows 7 boot loader to boot my OS-X 10.5.6, i have Windows 7 set as active partition on ntfs. I used a free utility that loads a mac bios from the windows boot loader so u don't get the dreaded HSF partition error, it turned out to be rather easy. and you dont have to use horrible fat32 FS for windows 7 which waists boat loads of space, is slower and fragments horribly.

I will post more detail with files later tonight when im not at work.

what is the free utility?

what is the free utility?

:P i have to shut down OS-X and boot in to Windows 7 and hold back my regurgitation reflex give me a few.

Here is the utility to edit the Vista/Windows 7 boot loader

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

1) Partition your hard disk what ever way you like. i recommend using NTFS for windows 7

2) Install Operating systems in no specific order.

3) If you installed OSX last then you have to set your vista/Win 7 partition to active using Diskpart in the command line from the vista/win 7 bood cd recovery options. If not, and you installed vista/win 7 last it should just boot into windows for you.

4) Install EasyBCD to edit the boot loader and run it.

Inside easy BCD first step will be to fix the HSF+ partition error with the EasyBCD in the "Diagnostics Center" tab

second step will be to click on "Add/Remove Entries" once there click the OSx tab in the drop down menu choose Generic x86 pc and name the boot entry what ever you want. i just called it OSX but it defaults to "NST Mac OSX"

once you have added this boot entry click save. it will drop the MAC boot record file in \NST\nst_mac.mbr

once this is done, reboot and it should give you and OSX boot option. when you choose this it will boot the chameleon or Darwin boot loader what ever it is you have installed.

and your down enjoy your nice NTFS partition, no HFS+ partition error and the dodging of Fat32

i hope this is clear as mud :P

The hardest part is getting windows 7 installed. If you have that done on a gpt disk, you can easily install chameleon.

Install chameleon, windows complains, set windows partition active, fix windows using install dvd, set osx partition active, and you're done.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165899 for more in-depth instructions.