Apple release iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 to fix ATI Radeon HD 4850 problem

smoothdvd

8 posts in this topic

I want where is the driver Apple released?

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4

Download icon

About iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4

This update fixes intermittent system freeze issues for iMac computers with ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics and fixes wake-from-sleep issues in Boot Camp.

To complete the firmware update process, please follow the instructions in the updater application (/Applications/Utilities/iMac EFI Firmware Update.app). The updater will launch automatically when the Installer closes.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your Mac, your Boot ROM Version will be:

IM91.008D.B08

http://support.apple.com/downloads/_iMac_E...ware_Update_1_4

it is a EFI update.. just like when you update your bios (If you ever have done that witch i doubt) It can not be used on a hack becouse you to put this simply DONT have a iMac EFI in your hack.

No they dont... not a 4850 like what you think... The 4850 is the first RadeonHD mobility card apple have used since they had the 2600 in the imacs also.. So there is a ATI RadeonHD 4850 mobility driver but that dont work with the desktop version of the card.

Trust me.. it is the same problem with the rest of the mobility cards that cant use the desktop drivers.. simple answer with i belive is the right one... apple told ATI not to include mobility in the drivers they buy to save money.. And the reson they can say that is becouse they know osx is not ment to run on a computer with a mobility card.. Then there are 2 imac models that use mobility cards. The one with the 2600 and the new one with the 4850...

Remember this is not windows.. here the drivers work on one card only.. ATI has build the drivers to work on specific models only...

Well the 4850 is working in a way with the 4870 drivers but is is not well i mean the desktop 4850... The 4850 from the imac has it's own driver that is only working with the 48x0 mobility (Or that is what we believe we do know it dont work with the desktop cards). Remember in 10.5.7 the drivers are in there and there have been work on the 10.5.7 drivers from netkas and he also confirm it... the 4850 from the imac is mobility only and the 4870 from the Mac Pro can get the 4850 desktop model to work.

Wrong Wrong Wrong

1) it's update of Imac's efi bootrom, it's like updatign bios of your mobo, it doesnt even has rom of 4850 there

2) Imac's 4850 uses ATY_Quail.kext, which can work with 48x0 on hacks.