HOW TO Install iDeneb v3 10.5.5 on Dell Studio Hybrid

mig21

2 posts in this topic

Installling iDeneb v3 10.5.5 (vanilla kernel) on Dell Studio Hybrid

Preamble

I've tried several OSx86 distros and it appears to me that iDeneb v3 is the easiest to install on the Dell Studio Hybrid. Most of the components will work right after the installation. If you have other distros that work well with this computer, let me know.

+Dell Studio Hybrid Specs:

Chipset: Intel 965

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5850 (2.16Ghz)

Video X3100

Memory: 3GB

wLAN: Broadcom 802.11n

LAN: Relatek RTL8168/8111

+What works after install:

1 Core

Wireless

LAN

USB/Firewire ports

DVI but you need a DVI to VGA adaptor. You need to connect your monitor via VGA, DVI by itself doesn't work.

Video with Quartz Extreme (QE) and CI

Keyboard and mouse

Multimedia card slot

+What doesn't work:

DVI/HDMI port

Audio

+Files Needed

-iDeneb v3 10.5.5 (google for it)

- Ketx Helper b7 (google for it)

- Patched X3100 video ketx's

Download from this post (Thx Willsl)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1199899

-Dell Post Installer Package

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

+Optional files

Currently, there are two video drivers in the wild for the Dell Stusio Hybrid. Unfortunately, they still have a few bugs. You only need to install one of them.

-Voodoo HDA (Thx Wilsl!)

Download from this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1133242

-Apple Azalia Audio (Thx tanguy00!)

Download from this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1132545

Step I - Boot off of the DVD drive

1. Connect the Dell Studio Hybrid to your computer via a VGA port. You'll need to connect a DVI-to-VGA port adapter in order to use the built-in DVI port as a VGA port.

2. Insert your iDeneb v3 disk into your DVD drive and boot off it. In order to boot off the DVD drive you can press the <F12> key during boot, as soon as you see the DELL logo. This will take you to the boot menu. Once you are in the boot menu, select DVD/CD drive.

Note: If you get a black or blue screen and are unable to boot from the disk, use the "cpus=1" option before you boot. Basically once you boot off the DVD and are at the "Boot" prompt, type that option and press enter

Boot>"cpus=1"

Step II - Prepare the your hard drive for install

WARNING: You are about to format your drive and loose everything in it!!!!!!!

1. On the first screen of the install wizard, go to the top menu bar and open Disk Utility located under "Tools".

2. Click on your target drive (or target drive/partition) in the left window

3. Then look right and click on the Partition Tab

4. Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition

5. Then fill in the Name with: OSx86

6. Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

7. Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

8. Click Apply, once it's done close "Disk Utility".

Step III - Select appropriate fixes and patched for Dell Studio Hybrid

1. Continue through the install until you get to the screen that allows you to select all of the patches and drivers.

2. Select "cpu=1" and "ACPI" under "fixes". Do NOT select any other fix or patch.

Note: The default installation for this disk is the vanilla kernel and it is installed without you selecting a specific kernel.

3. Feel free to select whatever applications you want installed under the "Applications" branch. Proceed with the install, it should take about 15 to 20 minutes but don't leave the computer unattended. You'll need to perform one more step BEFORE the computer reboots.

4. At the end of the installation, once the reboot countdown starts, and before the computer reboots, go to "Utilities" then "Terminal" and open a terminal window. Remove all of the kext's for "AppleIntelGMA*" and "AppleIntelIntegrated*" as follows:

cd /Volumes//System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegrated*
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/

Note: Replace <VolumeName> with the actual name of your volume.

5. Reboot the computer. The computer will start in VESA mode and your resolution will be 1024x768.

Step IV - Install Video Drivers with Ketx Helper

1. Open the Video Driver zip file by double clicking it.

2. Open the Ketx Helper Application and drag all of the video driver files to it. Type in your password and click "EASY INSTALL".

3. Once Ketx's have been installed, reboot your computer.

4. Once you reboot adjust your screen resolution by going to "System Preferences>Displays".

Step V - Install the SD card reader driver (and optional keyboard layout)

1. Unzip the "Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.4.1.zip" file by double click on it.

2. Open the unzipped folder and execute the package

3. When you get to the screen that allows you to select the drivers you want to install, select "Others> SD Card Reader" and nothing else.

4. Continue through the install

This package also contains a few international keyboard layout ketx. You can install these if you have a French or German, etc type of keyboard. If you have a United States keyboard, you don't need to install this.

Step VI - Install audio drivers (Optional)

1. You only need to install one of the audio drivers. I've tried them both and they both have bugs.

+Word of caution

Be careful with the type of updates you install from Apple as they may render your computer unbootable. Do NOT upgrade to 10.5.6 via the Apple update this will certainly kill your install, beleive me, I tried already. I tried installing iDeneb's 10.5.6 update but is also killed my computer. I really haven't found the correct way to update to 10.5.6.

Version History

05/02/09 v1 release to the public

• 2 months later...

Don't worry about the counter clock it will stop when you open Terminal, also here is a clearer name of what ushould type

cd /Volumes/YOURVOLUMENAME/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegrated*
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/YOURVOLUMENAME/

Replace YOURVOLUMENAME with your volume name of the harddrive, example mine is HYBRID

Also it may take a few minutes for verify repair to run