Apple, leave my ebay acount alone!

47 posts in this topic

I haven't seen your ad but I think you should check ebays restrictions as well, if you sell OS X on a non apple machine it will be violating one if mentioned in your ad;

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/oem.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/authen...isclaimers.html

but ebay should have offered you a contact mail, phone or person for the one requesting the removal (apple's legal department) which you should contact if you disagree.

It seems obvious why they refused to give you Apple's legal department contact information, the last thing Ebay wants is to have troubles with someone like Apple just because one of Ebay users refuses to understand and/or accept Ebay policies.

interesting point, superhai/ XLR... interestingly though:

...again im not upset for my add being taken down other than the fact that it was taken down after sale... and blocked me from the buyer (who did call me on the phone to confirm he wanted it... it's shipped btw)

since i had in fact broken an ebay rule or two...

why didn't ebay just terminate it? why did apple have to get involved? why did apple have to get a legal order? and why did ebay tell me that apple cited breaking the EULA?

and why the F#&% didn't apple just call me? they have access to my information, im a blatant hackintosh user... every error report i send i make it clear that it's coming from a home-built mac. (as if they couldn't figure that out when they see the LSCPI/harware report)

i have a Dot.Mac or excuse me "Mobile Me" account as well... i've registered several real and home-built macs under the same address as well. heck they have my phone number! they should have called me warning me... respectfully and non-threateningly... and ebay should have closed the sale citing that installed software was not included.

so #1 im not that bright... #2 apple is more controlling than we all thought #3 apple is afraid to call people directly #4 ebay is afraid of mice, let alone apple.

#5 if you can't build a hackintosh, you don't deserve to own one... at least the buyer of the laptop knows what he's doing, i did talk to him.

#6 that said (in #5) hackintoshes are better not sold.

#7 neither I nor Psystar should be allowed to sell it preinstalled... but could possibly sell them as supporting the OS.

and why the F#&% didn't apple just call me? they have access to my information, im a blatant hackintosh user... every error report i send i make it clear that it's coming from a home-built mac. (as if they couldn't figure that out when they see the LSCPI/harware report)

i have a Dot.Mac or excuse me "Mobile Me" account as well... i've registered several real and home-built macs under the same address as well. heck they have my phone number! they should have called me warning me... respectfully and non-threateningly...

Apple isn't one person or one brain. It's a big, big company with lots of departments. It's driven by directives and

people that decide what to do according to those. These (legal) people get paid for doing what they supposed to do, not for educating people to do better.

You got into the mill of a running machinery. Like I said all very unfortunate...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand how you think Apple should have contacted you.

According to the EULA and eBays rules, you had an offending ad.

Apple noticed it and contacted eBay and eBay agreed and removed the ad.

(Obviously this seems like the fastest method to have an offending ad removed than trying to contact and communicate directly with sellers.

Not saying you, but I'm sure many sellers would ignore correspondence and/or still sell it. Obviously the goal for Apple is to remove the ad, NOT to have to go after the seller.)

If anything, you beef sounds like it should be with eBay and how they handled the removal.

(Although your ultimate goal sounds like it wasn't to abide by the rules and refund the money anyways but to try to complete the sale.)

are you sure you aint getting scammed from that laptop buyer. any one with a ebay account can report an item say {censored} about copyrights. and ebay will pull that item in like 30mins. and in some case they will ban your ass.

scammers are hot on ebay.

and this sounds fishy since the buyer has not contacted you. after he sent money through paypal. he should have your email in his paypal account.

unless he is some rich guy who don't give a toss.

but then again why would a rich buy a hack mac.

sounds like a scam to me mate. be careful with ebay and paypal.

are you sure you aint getting scammed from that laptop buyer. any one with a ebay account can report an item say {censored} about copyrights. and ebay will pull that item in like 30mins. and in some case they will ban your ass.

scammers are hot on ebay.

and this sounds fishy since the buyer has not contacted you. after he sent money through paypal. he should have your email in his paypal account.

unless he is some rich guy who don't give a toss.

but then again why would a rich buy a hack mac.

sounds like a scam to me mate. be careful with ebay and paypal.

Dude, the guy already payed him, and he already shipped the laptop. It's not a scam.

just so you know for future reference it says in the user agreement that it is illegal to sell anything with OSX on it unless it's an official labeled property of apple like a mac pro or something. it also says the only way you can sell your OS X install disc is if you remove it from you Apple Product and ship it with all of the original packaging including the 2 apple stickers. if you specified OS X on it they have the right to remove the listing under copyright violations, ad its there copyright they don't need you involved in anyway. It's not like apple is this new company that barely has their trademarks registered and you're over here saying it was your idea first. Apple owns a lot of things, they proved what you were selling may have only been bought because of their name, they actually could have sued you and claimed that Apple's name made you what you are on ebay, but they didn't so appreciate how easy you got off. They don't care if you hack all day, that's like free beta testing, but once profit is added they get pissy. Also if i watch 200 bootlegs online the only way I can go to jail or get sued is if one of the select companies press charges, that's why people do it because it requires them to press charges, if they come to my house and I have watched over 200 they aren't obligated to tell me which one of the 50 production companies decided to take action. If it gets bad and I take them to court I might find out but they don't have to be there or tell me anything. If you think it's a law please return with the penal codes and proof of documents. Did you know 80% of so called Laws have absolutely no documentation, welcome to America! if you don't like it then why are you putting up with it? sorry if I upset you I am just stating facts, and a Wiki source of laws isn't legit I want to see official signed documents or the official penal code book and number... peace

Why do you think you have a legal right to use ebay? Apple's legal forms were to EBAY not you, since its their site and their problem, you have no right to see them. If they were for you then they would have been given to you instead of Ebay. You got banned for violating Ebays rules, nothing else, nothing involving the law or lawyers applies to your situation and Apple has no reason to contact you when all they want is for Ebay to block the sale of hackintoshes.

Did you know 80% of so called Laws have absolutely no documentation

While most laws might be written in complete legalese and be somewhat vague if they're constantly referencing other laws they append or alter, but their all on the books...

(except for maybe secret laws Bush made up that you can't know about because of "national security")

If you're trying to sell the aspire with osx86 on it, that's something you can't do. What you can do is, sell the aspire, saying it can run osx86.

+1 That is exactly what I did recently. I stated which OS's I had successfully run on it and I offered the buyer the choice of what OS they wanted me to install on it.

you're just as bad as the people that "preload" over $10,000 in software on their computers and modchip game systems and say it includes over 1000 games. it's copyright infringement and also puts you at an unfair advantage to honest sellers. and you, mister, are not an honest seller to include osx for whatever reason you may have. quit bitching about your suspended account(s) and get with the [honesty] system.

just so you know for future reference it says in the user agreement that it is illegal to sell anything with OSX on it unless it's an official labeled property of apple like a mac pro or something. it also says the only way you can sell your OS X install disc is if you remove it from you Apple Product and ship it with all of the original packaging including the 2 apple stickers. if you specified OS X on it they have the right to remove the listing under copyright violations, ad its there copyright they don't need you involved in anyway. It's not like apple is this new company that barely has their trademarks registered and you're over here saying it was your idea first. Apple owns a lot of things, they proved what you were selling may have only been bought because of their name, they actually could have sued you and claimed that Apple's name made you what you are on ebay, but they didn't so appreciate how easy you got off. They don't care if you hack all day, that's like free beta testing, but once profit is added they get pissy. Also if i watch 200 bootlegs online the only way I can go to jail or get sued is if one of the select companies press charges, that's why people do it because it requires them to press charges, if they come to my house and I have watched over 200 they aren't obligated to tell me which one of the 50 production companies decided to take action. If it gets bad and I take them to court I might find out but they don't have to be there or tell me anything. If you think it's a law please return with the penal codes and proof of documents. Did you know 80% of so called Laws have absolutely no documentation, welcome to America! if you don't like it then why are you putting up with it? sorry if I upset you I am just stating facts, and a Wiki source of laws isn't legit I want to see official signed documents or the official penal code book and number... peace

This in itself goes against the right of first sale. You are entitled to sell the genuine apple DVD in whatever form you like (out of the packaging if you want.) AS LONG as you do not have the software installed elsewhere.

Honestly, the only really wrong thing you actually did was that you put too much "sensitive" information in your ebay ad. If you knew that putting osx86 on a PC, already voids EULAs and what not, then you should kept quiet about that information. Or at least been very "secretive" about it.

Like mention something like, "Here is a great acer laptop, that runs any OS you want, whether it's windows, linux, osx86, etc. blah blah blah..." and just add your email address somewhere, where the buyer could have contacted you to find out that osx86 is pre-installed.

Basically, if a person can get away with selling a "photo" of a $300 product, you hear this often with video game consoles and such, then I think you should be able to find a way to sell a product that violates the Apple EULA.

Don't blame apple or ebay, you only have your self to blame because you weren't more careful selling this product. But hey, at least it worked out for you in the end.

For future references, not just for you, but for pretty much everyone else here.

YES, you can sell a laptop or a even a full-tower PC with osx86 pre-installed

You just can't be so obvious about it.