Does internal LSI 1068E on X8DAL-3 work?

w00l

5 posts in this topic

Im thinking about buying a X8DAL-3 (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAL-3.cfm) for my new hack mac pro

I know someone get 1068E works, like

The SAS controller on the Tyan i5400XT with SAS (S5936WA2NRF) works in kalway OS X 10.5.1

It's an LSI 1068E SAS Controller. It's obvious it would since the Mac pro use that, but I thought i'd mention it.

Is there any advantage to having SATA drives plugged in to my SAS controller on my board?

But I still find more failures, I wanna make sure that if internal 1068E works (obviously, I mean its RAID function)?

or I will buy X8DAL-i without 1068E and OCZ's SSD

THX

Im thinking about buying a X8DAL-3 (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAL-3.cfm) for my new hack mac pro

I know someone get 1068E works, like

But I still find more failures, I wanna make sure that if internal 1068E works (obviously, I mean its RAID function)?

or I will buy X8DAL-i without 1068E and OCZ's SSD

THX

I have a supermicro aoc-usas-l8i, internal, 8 port SAS card, 1068e based.... works great.

I've got mine in IT mode. The IT mode firmware seems to be more stable than IR or SR. SR is software RAID... requires silly windows driver... (and an ibutton) so thats no good.

IR mode does RAID0, RAID1, and RAID1E.

If you want RAID0, RAID1, or RAID10(0+1) I would just use OSX and software RAID it using disk utility. Performance rocks.... and you have options. Like plugging your RAID into another machine if needed.

BTW: Nice looking board. I've got my eyes and heart set on the X8DTH-6F, now if only they'd release the manual for it.

Thank you, vladthebad

I know its IT mode works, but IT mode means JBOD, which is non performance improvement

I want RAID0 using 1068E, can I get that?

BTW: I think Intel 5500/5520 based motherboard will work great with OSX. X8DAL-i(3)'s network controller is 82574L, it's same to Mac pro and onboard Realtek ALC883 was drived.

I am About to Build my next System but i could not finger out if the on board LSI 1068E SAS controller worked on the same Motherboard X8DAL-3 i found post that said it worked Out of Box then i found your post just like you i need Raid0 i think im just going to go ahead and get the motherboard

Just run software RAID using disk utility. It works great, its fast, and its reliable (As reliable as RAID0 ever is)

The other advantage of software RAID: you can take you drives, and go plug them into a different motherboard, and it still works.

I'm running software RAID10 currently with 4 drives.

2 drives in RAID1

Another 2 drives in RAID1

the two RAID1 pairs RAID0'd

Fast, reliable, redundant. The only thing not to love about it, is that I've got the space of 2 drives, and the price of 4....

But at least I won't lose my data due to drive failure. (Its also faster than 2 drives in RAID0 for all of the "slow" random drive access. And since thats the stuff you wait on anyways, it "feels" quite a bit faster.)

YES, it would be a lot faster as a 4 drive RAID0, but then 1 drive failure and I'd lose ALL the data.

And how often do you really need 300-400MB/sec for long sustained reads and writes?

For the most part, software RAID0 and hardware RAID0 are going to be about the same speedwise, unless you have a junk controller. The ability to move your array to another controller or board or machine holds more value for me than the extra 1-5% performance you might get.

2 drive software RAID0 on ICH9 beats 2 drive hardware RAID0 on silicon image. (and beats 2 drive software RAID0 on silicon image)

the LSI 1068e in 4 drive software RAID10 beats ICH9 with the same array.

Now, if you want to do RAID5, then there is a really good reason to move to hardware RAID, but you'll want a controller with a dedicated processor, and the onboard LSI1068e isn't that controller.