254 posts in this topic

Hi again,

From a retail 10.5.6 install

kernel extension iwi5100.kext/ has problems:

Validation failures:

{

"Kext claims an executable file but it doesn't exist" = true

}

NICE! Thank you! I'm guessing it's saying this because I didn't include the pkg installer with Network Selector with it. Hmmmm. Maybe I should re-combine all them together and see if that does anything. My Mac will be up and running later today. It's delaying me releasing both exp kext today for the 5100/5300.

This makes sense actually, we didn't even think of that. lol. Cuz the kext does ref to the network selector, etc. among others. I actually have it installed on my computer. I installed the iwidarwin 4965 totally and then just edited the iwi4965.kext into the resulting kext you guys are testing. Just to test functionality, etc. So I'll just re-package my more up-to-date kext into that 4965 package and see what happens for your guys as somethings happened to me. It was showing up as an ethernet card and always stated network cable unplugged. This is what I'm really hoping will happen to everyone. As if it gets to that point it'd only be a matter of time before a user or one of the members of our Dev team will find a way to rig it up and work.

I mean this sux. So muuuuch work, lol. Watch, when we or someone figures this thing out, it'll prolly be something simple as hell. That's just my luck.

Thanks so much man! I haven't been on my Mac in months because of this. (Wireless>>>Ethernet) I installed the kext, and don't see any changes. I may be wrong, but I do not see any new card or ethernet, sorry. However, my computer didn't crash or do anything funny, so that's a good sign. Keep of the good work, thanks a lot. Could we get on IRC and talk about this..? Forums aren't the best for this kind of discussion. And forget those people that said you were bluffing or whatever, they are just ignorant.

Thanks so much man! I haven't been on my Mac in months because of this. (Wireless>>>Ethernet) I installed the kext, and don't see any changes. I may be wrong, but I do not see any new card or ethernet, sorry. However, my computer didn't crash or do anything funny, so that's a good sign. Keep of the good work, thanks a lot. Could we get on IRC and talk about this..? Forums aren't the best for this kind of discussion. And forget those people that said you were bluffing or whatever, they are just ignorant.

Thanks for your support bro. I appreciate it and thanks for your feedback. What irc server were you talking about? I.E. What irc address and what channel/room? I use to have mIRC installed but recently reformatted. I'll install in sometime tonight on Windows and Linux. As OS X is out for me as I have putten my intel 5100 card back into it and my ethernet doesnt work as well which is odd because its Marvell Yukon but I guess the 88E8071 I think it is, its like the intel, it cant just be working just by tweaking the kexts. Which sucks. So Im SOL right now inet wise on my mac until i put my Broadcom back in. I prolly wont put it back in as it'll irritate me and push me to get the 5100/5300 working. lol.

Thank you very much by working on this kext. I installed it but no Effekt ... Can't See Networkcard (Lenovo N500). Thank you so much on working on this kext :)

And thank you guys so much for supporting me and testing this stuff out. Even though it seems like we didn't get anything accomplished here. In fact, we did. iwidarwin usually kernel panics IF it doesnt detect the said/given card, in this case, the 4965, by tweaking the kext and resources, we just might be able to pull something off. We might have to resort to using Network Selector to scan and connect to networks. Not too sure, was never familiar with iwidarwin, as this is my first intel card.

I'm really aiming at the ultimate goal of the cards being fully functional just like any broadcom or realtek wireless cards.

*****NOTICE*****

I have attached a newer zip file in my post found below in big bold text, look there now......

Hi again,

From a retail 10.5.6 install

kernel extension iwi5100.kext/ has problems:

Validation failures:

{

"Kext claims an executable file but it doesn't exist" = true

}

Same message and no new item in network preferences...

thank you

and id like to be the 100th post to this thread... haha....

please try the exp kext and report back here or shoot an email with what it does, how it operates, etc. all described above.

Thanks a lot guys.

Meh. ;/

Getting the famous "Could not get ID for kernel control. 2" here

ok i just uploaded a newer test installer package.

make sure to delete the previous iwi4965.kext first. from your extensions folder.

What steps will reproduce the revelation?

1. Download Attached zip file which is the iwi4965 package/installer and a

modified iwi4965 kext.

2. Open installer and install fully. Once it is completed DO NOT CLICK

RESTART.

3. Go to extensions folder and delete the iwi4965.kext.

4. Open up Kext Helper B7 (Use Google to download)

Tick the advanced box, click the button "Kext Permissions" in lower left.

5. Import modified iwi4965.kext included in zip.

6. Type password in the field and then click button "Easy Install".

7. Once finished, STILL DO NOT CLICK RESTART.

OS X should now notify you it found a new network interface, click ok and

when window opens up click apply.

As you can see it shows up as an ethernet card and not an airport/wireless

card.

we're looking into this heavily.

this is a great step forward!

iwi5100.zip

Question, no attack nor offense intended.

But did you code/recode the whole kext?

Took an older one and modified it?

Took an older one and changed/changing device ID's in it hoping to get it to work?

Just curious, as I said, no offense intended. I need the driver for it myself badly anyway.

Question, no attack nor offense intended.

But did you code/recode the whole kext?

Took an older one and modified it?

Took an older one and changed/changing device ID's in it hoping to get it to work?

Just curious, as I said, no offense intended. I need the driver for it myself badly anyway.

oh im not gonna get offended, as i said in earlier posts, im just rigging it up, as ive lost my initial network application i was using to turn the card on and off and all the rest of my work =(.

so in no way wud i be offended by my "rigging" lol.

I just took the iwi4965 package/installer and modified it within OS X. i.e. right clicked on package installer and clicked show contents just like any kext, etc. Ive dug through it and unarched the archive, edited the kext in there, put the archive.pax.gz back together and called it a day, lol.

From then on, it installs right but again just shows up as an ethernet card instead of an airport wireless card.

You can look into it a little bit or even very deeply. If you find anything, let us know. Thanks for the help and support. I hope someone either from my team or even a user finds something.

im on the irc right now on insanely macs, #osx86 channel and my #intel channel over at irc.macspeak.net

Hm, I'll see if can fiddle with it today, been programming through the whole night so I'm exhausted at the moment, I'll try later after some sleep, I'll post here if I find something but chances are slim I'll find something knowing my luck with randomness ;p

yeah ive been programming all damn night, trying to re-code a nice network selector app with a nice GUI all from scratch, its going a little rough, but maybe someday ill get there.

i just know the door is now open, we tried hard to open the door whether we ourselves figure the rest of the solution or a user does, either way.... someone should be able to figure this out.... this is the closet anyone has ever gotten to getting this thing up and running besides my earlier work.

although i didnt outdo my older work, i can still try and complete it all around =) by having every 5100/5300 users happy with their fullu operational 100% running wireless cards (:

Tried latest iwifi from iwidarwin, and the result is a kernel panic on boot. I'm using iDeneb 10.5.8, kernel Qoopz 9.8.0 on a HP Pavilion DV7-1025nr (with Intel 5100 Wifi).

img0002jh.th.jpg

thanks for your feedback and taking the time out to register just to report this. I appreciate it as well as the whole iwidarwin team.

P.S. I have the 5100 and same problem here. Wondering why.... as just before this the kext worked fine... well it didnt panic i should say, lol.

can you debug iwfi.kext?

this kext as the latest linux sources and i think is the right way to make the driver work

in future i think it can be mixed with mercurysquad code and work as a airport device

if iwifi.kext turns stable a nsgui/networkselector interface can be made

via http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/issues/detail?id=105

Here is the debug info on the kernal panic Jalavoui:

darwin.iwifi(1.0.0c1)@0x5badf000
 dependency: com.apple.iokit.io80211family(216.1)@0x5acac000
 dependency: com.apple.iokit.iopcifamily(2.6)@0x548dd000
 dependency: com.apple.iokit.ionetworkingfamily(1.6.1)@ox5a7e4000
 dependency: com.apple.iokit.iopcifamily(2.6)@0x548edfff

Seems to be the error given to ALL users trying to install the latest iwi.dmg

Now I tried injecting the iwi firmware into my modified 4965 kext and no kernel panic errored.

So I/We need to go through step by step to see what's what and whats going on wrong. I have my theories but none of them have come to any conclusions of course.

I also thought maybe having all those cards listed would be causing a panic.

Maybe because it wasn't detecting all of them. So i took the liberty of modifying it to just my card, the 5100, same effect, kernel panic.

All the kernel panics can safely be booted into safemode via -x at prompt.

So not a horrible panic, lol.

I was using this J something app to view the firmwares, however the iwi firmware file included in the lasted bundle did not load in there correctly at all and all I could actually see in that file is through textmate which was gibberish of course except a few elements were in tact.

So just a wild guess maybe I'll try putting my 5100 firmware in it's place and seeing if the newly listed kext still causes a kernel panic. If it does. I'll then all narrow down the identifiers/ids to just my card and try that as well. Just trying process of elimination here..... I'll come back and report on that situation.

confirmed..... that with my firmware it doesnt cause a kernel panic... maybe the firmware file is corrupt?

not sure.... oh and i think i left two copies of the firmware in there but oh well..... both named differently, one is masked as the iwi4965 for its from my modified version of the 4965

heres the kext that loaded without kernel panics.....

iwifi.kext.zip

can you try with latest iwidarwin source?

i've just added debug output and fixed timer settings

if you follow iwl_pci_probe() you can check if the firmware loads,etc

tip: add IOLog("1,2,...\n") to code to catch any kernel panic

if it works with any firmare version you can see in logs the driver startup and rx/tx beacons

can you check if the driver is loading the right firmware for your card in pci_register_driver()?

you can boot with -v -s and try a kextload iwifi.kext to catch a KP

also try to enable the hack in setup_timer() - might help to start auto-scanning, associate to unsecure network, etc (watch out for KP)

can you try with latest iwidarwin source?

i've just added debug output and fixed timer settings

if you follow iwl_pci_probe() you can check if the firmware loads,etc

tip: add IOLog("1,2,...\n") to code to catch any kernel panic

if it works with any firmare version you can see in logs the driver startup and rx/tx beacons

can you check if the driver is loading the right firmware for your card in pci_register_driver()?

you can boot with -v -s and try a kextload iwifi.kext to catch a KP

also try to enable the hack in setup_timer() - might help to start auto-scanning, associate to unsecure network, etc (watch out for KP)

awesome i was looking for the log command/whatever last night since i seen it on the site all the time but cudnt see it, so thats all the info i cud give u at that time.... ill hop on it again and update after work =)

I have the intel wireless svn imported to my machine..... but was wondering if yours is different?

i was wondering how different your source is from the original, see all what you tried, etc.. so i brought my laptop to work with me. but i was looking at the iwidarwin source through http.... so i wanted to import the svn into my machine....

so would there be a way for me to import the trunk to my linux? i tried several different ways but all resulted in entering username/password i.e. must be on the team. id like to take the source and overlook everything. try many different things, etc.

of course im not going to update the source in any kind of way... in fact i dont want to at all. i just want to try different things out and see how they pan out.

is there a way you could make me able to just read the svn? so i could read and import it to my machine and mess with it? Thats if your source is heavily modified compared to the intel linux source.

you should have read olny access to svn tree...

type in terminal

svn checkout http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ iwidarwin-read-only

and you get the latest source

if you like to commit changes to svn tree email me with a gmail account and i'll add you to iwidarwin

i hope latest release is more stable - i wonder where are intel wireless cards owners - no one for posting logs?

in latest release i've added check_firstup() to start()

this will make the driver load and initiate the ucode but can also give a KP

if you can debug it and enable the setup_timer() hack you can probably make the driver work

if you like to have this thread for intel wireless drivers i can delete this one http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191565

and use yours

i only need you to change the 1st post with some of the text i have on it

and the ttile to Intel Wireless Drives - as i'm trying to make this work for all intel cards.

ok - i'll update iwidarwin after you finish your changes

if you like to have this thread for intel wireless drivers i can delete this one http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191565

and use yours

i only need you to change the 1st post with some of the text i have on it

and the ttile to Intel Wireless Drives - as i'm trying to make this work for all intel cards.

exactly what i want to do. Consider it done.

you should have read olny access to svn tree...

type in terminal

svn checkout http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ iwidarwin-read-only

and you get the latest source

if you like to commit changes to svn tree email me with a gmail account and i'll add you to iwidarwin

i hope latest release is more stable - i wonder where are intel wireless cards owners - no one for posting logs?

in latest release i've added check_firstup() to start()

this will make the driver load and initiate the ucode but can also give a KP

if you can debug it and enable the setup_timer() hack you can probably make the driver work

lol the word checkout reminded me, my dumbass was exporting....

nice thread :(

pjmiller435,

take a look at

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/updates/list

if you click on a release (eg. r1234) you can see last changes in code

i think you should make a copy of iwifi-osx10.5 to iwifi-5100-osx10.5 and commit to svn tree (after you made the copy just delete ALL hidden svn sub-folders you find in iwifi-5100-osx10.5 before upload to svn)

if you do this you can make changes in code and have a place to test specific 5100 card issues

this is also good because we can share each other code without destroying nothing

this also help users do download iwifi.kext latest release for testing

i think it's possible to make your card work but it doesn't mean all others will (i think 3945 will be hard but i hope mercurysquad finish it)

for (index = api_max; index >= api_min; index--)

this code can make the firmware loads incorrectly - fixed in svn tree

About new intel firmware files

Intel as posted new firmware files for 3945 to 1000 cards

After reading linux,freebsd,etc sources it looks like the firmware_loading needs some hacking to work

i need to test all firmware files of iwifi.kext - feedback for 3945,4965,5x00 and 1000 cards is welcome

6x00 have to wait as i'm unable to find any intel firmware files for this cards.

Linux firmare info:

Got firmware 'iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode' file (149816 bytes) from disk

loaded firmware version 15.28.2.8

f/w package hdr ucode version raw = 0xf1c0208

f/w package hdr runtime inst size = 80684

f/w package hdr runtime data size = 32768

f/w package hdr init inst size = 2672

f/w package hdr init data size = 32768

f/w package hdr boot inst size = 900

Got firmware 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' file (187972 bytes) from disk

loaded firmware version 228.61.2.24

f/w package hdr ucode version raw = 0xe43d0218