Intel Wireless Drivers [OSx86]

pjmiller435

254 posts in this topic

hey guys... not sure if anyone having intel 5100 have already tried this..

i dloaded the dmg for intel4965 from iwidarwin website and installed it onto my iatkos v7 system..

i changed the device id in the info.plist of the kext from 4230 to 4237 (for my intel 5100) and on rebooting i had a new "ethernet card" in the network preferences..

This ethernet always says "Cable is not plugged in".. and networkselector gui or nsgui also does not identify the card or any wireless network

I am able to see the mac address in "network utility" and the model as 4965bgn.. System profiler also indicates it as en1..

not sure how to make the device to connect to a network or turn it ON (LED is not lit so dunno if its on/off)

Hope this helps someone trying to make this wireless device work..

Cheers

NK

Thats probably because you'd need to edit things such as the WiFiPower.CPP file, etc. It will take more than just editing the info.plist unless everyone in the world is an idiot. Never really messed with it because of so many people claimed it never worked in any way, shape or form. Don't let that deeter you away from trying.

I'm really sorry everyone. I had a lot happen to me as well as crashing my computer. I moved out and didn't have internet until last month. I started getting pissed off wondering if I still had any backups of files.... which I do. So you doubters can see I was working on something. It's really early backup, my buddy Mark thinks some discs are in our storage unit and are headed over there today.... what got me to think of this? Guess what? My room mate and best friend just got a laptop and its...... a 5100 card and he wants mac up and running fully. i still have my p7805u fx edition laptop, so we're going to start messing with this thing again. I figured after I quit somebody or some group would have released something by now..... so I went looking and poof as we all know nobody has done anything. I can't help but think how close we were so I know its not impossible, its more probable than impossible given the history of statements from intel 5100 users.

EVERYONE WHO PM'D ME. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW MORE THAN EVER. I'M TIRED OF HAVING NO WIFI IN OS X. I WAS FORCED TO INSTALL A BROADCOM AFTER LOOSING EVERYTHING. BUT {censored} THAT! I WANT TO FINISHED WHAT I PROMISED TO YOU GUYS.

Sorry for caps, lol. Sorry for delays, I really do apologize.

But again to answer some questions to your power problems..... youd need to get your hands on the source code of iwi like i was doing and trying to convert it to the 5100+.

#include "iwi5100.h"

/**************************************************************************

* POWER-MANAGEMENT CODE

* These definitions and functions allow the driver to handle power state

* changes to support sleep and wake.

**************************************************************************/

// Two power states are supported by the driver, On and Off.

enum {

kWiFiControllerPowerStateOff = 0,

kWiFiControllerPowerStateOn,

kWiFiControllerPowerStateCount

};

// An IOPMPowerState structure is added to the array for each supported

// power state. This array is used by the power management policy-maker

// to determine our capabilities and requirements for each power state.

static IOPMPowerState _wifiControllerPowerStateArray[ kWiFiControllerPowerStateCount ] =

{

{ 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 },

{ 1,IOPMDeviceUsable,IOPMPowerOn,IOPMPowerOn,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 }

};

enum {

kFiveSeconds = 5000000

};

Thats what the power on/off relies on. Regardless of the switch being on or off. I would think of course you'd want the switch on the on position as well but from past.... it looks like the state of power can be software driven, giving full control over meaning even if youre switch is off it'll still be able to power on and perform. this is not the case with all cards however. it seemed to kill my 5100 trying that process earlier.

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>iwi5100</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>Copyright pjmiller435 2009</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>darwin.iwi5100</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Intel® PRO/Wireless 5100 Network Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0a</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>iwi5100</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>darwin.iwi5100</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>darwin_iwi5100</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>iwi5100</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

EVERYONE CAN E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY AT lethaldosemedia@gmail.com please show your support!

Here is a notable selection of files to preview and mess around with as a hobby cause youre pissed off your wifi doesn't work. any new angles, views is appreciated, professional or not.

You can also go to iwidarwin or google it and get the latest, greatest stable release....... you can get its source code and post it that would be awesome as well for all of us to download easily and view and make our theories, conclusions, etc.

These files are main to getting intel working on a linux, the main folder is the actual intel 5000+ drivers for linux. the rest are a random selection of C++ files, so you will need software to view and compile the code, etc. of course!

God bless and I look forward to a whole fleet of people to come help out in its last days.

YOU CAN REACH ME AT hackintoshmacintosh@yahoo.com ON YAHOO MESSENGER. ALSO IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS LIVE / MSN MESSENGER YOU CAN USE THAT NAME TO CONTACT ME AS WELL.

MAINlinuxIntel5000.zip

Thats probably because you'd need to edit things such as the WiFiPower.CPP file, etc. It will take more than just editing the info.plist unless everyone in the world is an idiot. Never really messed with it because of so many people claimed it never worked in any way, shape or form. Don't let that deeter you away from trying.

I'm really sorry everyone. I had a lot happen to me as well as crashing my computer. I moved out and didn't have internet until last month. I started getting pissed off wondering if I still had any backups of files.... which I do. So you doubters can see I was working on something. It's really early backup, my buddy Mark thinks some discs are in our storage unit and are headed over there today.... what got me to think of this? Guess what? My room mate and best friend just got a laptop and its...... a 5100 card and he wants mac up and running fully. i still have my p7805u fx edition laptop, so we're going to start messing with this thing again. I figured after I quit somebody or some group would have released something by now..... so I went looking and poof as we all know nobody has done anything. I can't help but think how close we were so I know its not impossible, its more probable than impossible given the history of statements from intel 5100 users.

EVERYONE WHO PM'D ME. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW MORE THAN EVER. I'M TIRED OF HAVING NO WIFI IN OS X. I WAS FORCED TO INSTALL A BROADCOM AFTER LOOSING EVERYTHING. BUT {censored} THAT! I WANT TO FINISHED WHAT I PROMISED TO YOU GUYS.

Sorry for caps, lol. Sorry for delays, I really do apologize.

But again to answer some questions to your power problems..... youd need to get your hands on the source code of iwi like i was doing and trying to convert it to the 5100+.

Thats what the power on/off relies on. Regardless of the switch being on or off. I would think of course you'd want the switch on the on position as well but from past.... it looks like the state of power can be software driven, giving full control over meaning even if youre switch is off it'll still be able to power on and perform. this is not the case with all cards however. it seemed to kill my 5100 trying that process earlier.

EVERYONE CAN E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY AT lethaldosemedia@gmail.com please show your support!

Here is a notable selection of files to preview and mess around with as a hobby cause youre pissed off your wifi doesn't work. any new angles, views is appreciated, professional or not.

You can also go to iwidarwin or google it and get the latest, greatest stable release....... you can get its source code and post it that would be awesome as well for all of us to download easily and view and make our theories, conclusions, etc.

These files are main to getting intel working on a linux, the main folder is the actual intel 5000+ drivers for linux. the rest are a random selection of C++ files, so you will need software to view and compile the code, etc. of course!

God bless and I look forward to a whole fleet of people to come help out in its last days.

OMFG, YOU'RE BACK!!!! I hope I can FINALLY get my wifi working again. I'll be glad to help!

Do you have it up to the point where we can help you beta test?

I did prior to all this, when I first created post. Now, we're re-working the linux drivers for unix/darwin. so there is no real beta test, once it works, it'll work, period. lol. which sucks but when its finally here it will work 100% or at least should within theory.

Will there be a driver released for the 4965 adapter also? Just curious

Thanks for the awesome work and keep up the good job

I thought the 4965 was avl through the iwidarwin project nowadays? am i wrong?

i need more people guys!

PLEASE! Refer to my first post for details, PM me on here, but I'd rather get in my email, for I check that daily just about.

I did prior to all this, when I first created post. Now, we're re-working the linux drivers for unix/darwin. so there is no real beta test, once it works, it'll work, period. lol. which sucks but when its finally here it will work 100% or at least should within theory.

I thought the 4965 was avl through the iwidarwin project nowadays? am i wrong?

i need more people guys!

PLEASE! Refer to my first post for details, PM me on here, but I'd rather get in my email, for I check that daily just about.

I sent you an email if you need any help (a while ago so I don't know why you haven't responded :-/). I don't currently have OS X on my system but I can put it on if you need. I have a DV5t with everything working except for my 5100 card :-(. I need wifi on laptop! lol

*****UPDATE****** We just made a little progress and what we're seeing, if it's true..... If we get the 5100 up and running, the 5300 would be able to be up and running as well. It'd just need a little kext editing, if this is the case, we'll make a seperate package with our edited 5300 kext. All for you.

I would like to say Thank you! for all your hard work. =D

I'm learning C# programming in college right now, and I only wish I was an experienced enough programmer to help you with this. One day, I'll be able to do what you do. For now, I guess waiting to get my dv7 on wireless is just fine.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! :P

Can anyone debug and test this kext, describing what it does, how it operates, etc. In detail please.

Use KextHelper b7 for easiest way to install the kext into your extensions directory.

ALSO NOTE. There is no warranty for your computer or operating systems herien. We are not responsible for any damage.

^ Must be said, sorry. This shouldn't crash anything, lol. Now, if it causes a kernel panic, be ready to know how to login in safe mode, with -x and -f at the darwin prompt. (enter both, i.e. -x -f)

Or boot at prompt with -s if the above methods together fail.

Then mount your HD roam over to the Extensions folder and delete the kext.

I would like to say Thank you! for all your hard work. =D

I'm learning C# programming in college right now, and I only wish I was an experienced enough programmer to help you with this. One day, I'll be able to do what you do. For now, I guess waiting to get my dv7 on wireless is just fine.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! :P

thanks for your support. i appreciate it. you can test/debug with the kext file i uploaded on this post right here (found below) ....... if you have the 5100, if you have the 5300, let me know and i can provide you with an exp. kext for the 5300. Both exp kext files are just the iwi4965 kext, modified, they shoudnt make them work but it may allow the os to detect it, i.e. as ethernet or an airport, card.... we just need it debugged on a few systems.

Installed and booted fine, but nothing showing up under airport or in system profiler. Using iAtkos V7 on Acer AS1410.

Anyone else manage to have more luck?

Dying to know that last question myself. Thanks for even taking the time out to register and reply. I appreciate it and very, VERY nice flow on the username, haha. Lovin it.

I got my tripple boot in order, Visa, OS X and Linux. Just now getting to bed, worked all night on this.

I have one e-mail from a user who claims the kext actually made the 5100 show up as an ethernet card and it's not the first time of hearing of this. I got the idea from a post off of the iwidarwin petitions, i think number 85. This is what I'm looking for. For at that point, we can just rig it to detect as an airport card. That will be a temp fix to we release an official driver/kext for it.

Hi, pjmiller435

First thank you for dedicate your time to finally get this driver working.

I tried you kext in snow leopard (I´ll install leopard later for testing), this is what I get:

$ sudo kextutil -t iwi5100.kext

Password:

Can't read info dictionary for iwi5100.kext: IOCFUnserialize: syntax error near line 1.

Hi, pjmiller435,

Thanks for your work on this driver, i've installed it on a Lenovo n500 running iAtkos v7. I have not seen any changes, there's no new connection in the network syspref icon, no airport card either. If you can tell me where i can get details you need, please do!

Thanks again,

László

my site is back online, where you'll find updates on this driver.

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for testing this out for me.

I see a pattern with iAtkos i.e. it's not working at all. Maybe another distro will? Prolly not but just a small hope it might do something. Maybe iPC, Deneb or Kalyway. I'm not sure. I have Kalyway and iAtkos up and running.

Thanks for all your help guys and I would need a system profiler report IF YOUR OSx86 detected the intel card in any kind of way, i.e. ethernet, etc.

I'll get back to the lab, I know I said I was going to bed earlier but I got the intel to detect as an ethernet again and was tinkering with it and my system paniced on restart. not able to boot into safe mode or -x, -f.... then i tried single user mode and EVEN THAT WOULDNT START, lol. So now, I'm going to try and copy that kext off the HD and re-install iAtkos v7 once again.

Hi, pjmiller435

First thank you for dedicate your time to finally get this driver working.

I tried you kext in snow leopard (I´ll install leopard later for testing), this is what I get:

$ sudo kextutil -t iwi5100.kext

Password:

Can't read info dictionary for iwi5100.kext: IOCFUnserialize: syntax error near line 1.

Hmmmm, I've never seen that, prolly has to do with the fact its the iwidarwin 4965 driver/kext re-modeled for the 5100. Again, just another damn test. As anything could and might make it work. I got my dev team cracking down on converting the bsd and/or linux drivers to darwin/osx86.

I'm not too sure how snow leopard will handle any of this. I'm just shooting for 10.5. .4-.7 for the time being. Who knows though, could end up working on SL and not LE, lol. Thatd be crazy.

But anywho, thanks again for trying man. I appreciate your support and efforts.

**NOTE** None of you have to go to the extent of downloading other distro's of osx86, etc. I'm sure theres other people in the world with the distros we're looking to test/debug already installed and running. AKA Much easier than you downloading it, burning it and installing it/setting it up.

thanks for your support. i appreciate it. you can test/debug with the kext file i uploaded on this post right here (found below) ....... if you have the 5100, if you have the 5300, let me know and i can provide you with an exp. kext for the 5300. Both exp kext files are just the iwi4965 kext, modified, they shoudnt make them work but it may allow the os to detect it, i.e. as ethernet or an airport, card.... we just need it debugged on a few systems.

With this kext my card doesn't even get regionized, sorry! I hoped it would work!