Need 4870 kexts installed on unbootable drive

Asterra

4 posts in this topic

Here's where I'm at. Trying to get vanilla OSX 10.5.6 to boot. It's stopping at "still waiting for root device", and it's probable that this is because my graphics card is a Sapphire HD 4870 and the install probably did not include the 10.5.7 drivers for that card.

My plan was to get the kexts I need, boot my working Kalyway 10.5.2, and, using Kext Helper, install the kexts on the drive that has the vanilla OSX install (from within Kalyway). Unfortunately.. The "Link for installers until I have the first post fixed", which I assume has the 48x0 kexts, is dead. And the "A Simple Guide to the 4830/4850/4870/4870x2/4890, Working QE/CI, Resolution Change, etc." appears to assume one can already boot their target OSX, which I cannot. Also, the 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg included in that guide - which probably contains the kexts I need - cannot be unarchived from within my Kalyway OSX. It appears to assume I want to install them (obviously not; I need to use Kext Helper for that), but it fails that anyway.

Basically I guess I need to know how / where I can get the kexts I need to install on this drive so I can finally get it booted. Dead links don't count. ;p

Wating for root device is becouse your southbridge in your chipset lacks drivers so it cant find your harddrive.. has nothing to do with graphics drivers.
It's possible. However, the vanilla OSX 10.5.6 install was performed entirely by a script developed by Digital Dreamer (see the thread in Guides), designed specifically for the hardware I am using - with the exception of the 4870. I believe, therefore, that the proper motherboard chipset drivers must be in place.

Well don't seem like it or you have a wrong setting in bios, make sure that the sata mode is AHCI (Might be called Native also)... Waiting on root device is a chipset problem. And there is no but. It has absolute nothing to do with graphics cards.