NVIDIA's ION Platform and OS X

275 posts in this topic

Hello

I bought a Packard Bell iMax C2600 (same as Acer Aspire Revo R3600) with Atom and ION chipset and installed Snow Leopard on it.

It seems to work ok with only the following issues:

- no sound on HDMI

- Deep sleep don't work

- sometimes crashes at boot

I'm not sure QE and CI works fully either because under VLC, 720P videos seems choppy (but everything from Open GL games to frontrow works)

You can have more information on the two methods used (Empire EFI, and custom Snow Leopard MBR DVD) at http://www.newtale.com/pp/article509.html

VLC dont support hardware decoding only QuickTime X and that will only support it if you dont install perian.

Thanks Mushishi.

Following your message, I have tested it and Apple 1080P trailers are almost OK under Quicktime X with 720P resolution whereas they are very choppy under VLC.

However I have not noticed an increase of speed under Quicktime X by uninstalling Perian (but I didn't uninstall all of Perian as I used only the option in the control panel, does it makes a difference ?).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried XBMC for Mac? I wonder if it support hardware decoding?

greetings from italy, a quick question.

Due to my difficulty to understand "slang" (but also english itself,sigh) i have to notice you all that "i don't understand" one simple thing. In the nvidia ion 9400m quartz extreme and core image are supported?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

greetings from italy, a quick question.

Due to my difficulty to understand "slang" (but also english itself,sigh) i have to notice you all that "i don't understand" one simple thing. In the nvidia ion 9400m quartz extreme and core image are supported?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

. . yes, QE & CI are supported.

. . yes, QE & CI are supported.

thank you very much,such a lovely news!So,now i have to look back and understand what of essential must have a retail installation on a netbook with this chipset.

if I can ask...

can I create efi string in a traditional way? For my desktop pc i've used osx86 tool selecting custom geForce.

last question, can I create a specific dsdt.aml file simply with dsdt patcher gui?

Thank you again!

thank you very much,such a lovely news!So,now i have to look back and understand what of essential must have a retail installation on a netbook with this chipset.

if I can ask...

can I create efi string in a traditional way? For my desktop pc i've used osx86 tool selecting custom geForce.

last question, can I create a specific dsdt.aml file simply with dsdt patcher gui?

Thank you again!

. . . PC-EFI 10.5 (& greater) & recent versions fo Chameleon support the ION 9400m

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Acer Revo R3610 with a dual-core 330 cpu. The Atom cpu is recognised as a C2D. \o/

Things that don't:

USB (only if devices plugged in at boot).

WiFi - the Atheros AR5006x card is recognised as an ethernet device, but no driver loaded. BCM4321 is on order.

Offloading of H.264 encoded media to the gpu does not seem to work, which is kind of the point of the ION platform. :D

Hyperthreading - have to disable in the bios or SL kps on boot. The single core 230 is not seemingly affected.

Next stage is to crank out a dsdt and see how far that takes me.

Splonk, how's the DSDT coming along? Some of the posts in this thread seem to indicate you could reduce the number of kexts with a DSDT and Shoarthings experiences with the Asrock Ion seem to indicate what the fix for the USB issue is. I'd love to see a proper fixed DSDT and simple guide or thread for the Revo Ion 330 (this thread seems to be mainly a mix of Zotac and Revo owners and a little confusing because of that)...

Maybe you and Neokoala could work together since he's doing same thing? When I get the chance I have a 2nd Revo R3610 I could play with,,,,,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please help,

I have an asus ion 330, but no matter what I do, i allways get "unsupported CPU" even before instalation starts...

i have turned off CPU hyperthreading in BIOS and tried everything but nothing.

Does someone know how to make it work???

I have iMac at home so can do everything that's needed in osx but i can put disk from hackintosh in imac (of course)...

I am currently having some trouble extracting the dsdt under Karmic.

The method I used to run acpidump didn't work under Karmic, so I had to boot a USB install of Jaunty to get acpidump to work. You could also try to use a Jaunty backport of acpidump, if it exists.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for great information. I was able to install 10.6.3 on my Acer Revo R1600. But I'm still having some issue like: sound not working, sleep/wakeup not working. I'm fighting with ALC662 on R1600 now.

I did many research on the forum, and I tried many solutions.

First I get PinConfiguration and I can see three connectors (mic, headphone and internal). I believe this is correct.

Then I tried VoodooHDA 0.2.26, but it give me choppy sound and noise.

Then I find patched ALC662 for 10.6.3 in this thread. It looks like working, System preferences shows some input/output devices (even they are not exist), but because R1600 using different path, no sound at all.

I tried to patch AppleHDA by myself. However because incompatible path map, getting many error like:

Sound assertion ""ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative property!\n"

Sound assertion "0 == fPathControls" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp"

I'm wondering if someone can help to patch AppleHDA for R1600?

BTW, PinConfigure is different on R1600 even it also using ALC662.

Attached is codec dump from linux. I got two codec, I think one for Codec 3 is for HDMI.

Thanks a lot

codec_dump0.txt

codec_dump3.txt

Sorry, my mistake. Looks like patch ALC662 works, it using internal speaker as headphone connection.

Anybody has luck with VoodooPower? Somehow it refuse to load, and CPU speedstep not working yet. Stuck at 1.6GHz.

I have found a great guide to install Snow Leopard on the Acer Aspire Revo 3610.

http://friedmboard.blogspot.com/2010/02/hack-attack.html

The two things that don't work are:

- Wireless Card (not a problem I can just change the card)

- Sound - It works but the sound is crackly.

Does anyone know if there has been a fix for the sound yet? or has anyone managed to get it working correctly?

Thanks in Advance <_<

• 5 weeks later...

posted this in the acer aspire revo thread but think it's appropriate to the ion 330 in gereral. vda h264 acceleration works under 10.6.4 where as it didn't under 10.6.3. i've seen a lot of people asking an no real definitive answer anywhere. it works and it's awesome.

marc

Sorry, my mistake. Looks like patch ALC662 works, it using internal speaker as headphone connection.

Anybody has luck with VoodooPower? Somehow it refuse to load, and CPU speedstep not working yet. Stuck at 1.6GHz.

Any chance you could share your DSDT for the R1600? Running NetbookInstaller w/ SL 10.6.3 but all I get is Unsupported Device.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Use iAtkos S3 v2, when booting, use the boot args

mach_qoopz -v

To enable graphics install natit, you should find it in the install options

make sure to install qoopz 10.3.0, or your system will be in a reboot loop when finish install

it will blacklist AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement by default no need to change

make sure to install disabler too

Sorry, if you cant understand, i was too lazy to do a whole tutorial.