Nvinject 9200M GS

2o2

46 posts in this topic

Well I have some good news on my end at least.  I have video now, but of course no QE or CI and only the crappy 1024x768 resolution.

I did a new ideneb 10.5.6 install and only selected the two PS/2 fixes for my keyboard and trackpad (I think it's beyond stupid that most new notebooks still don't have internal USB keyboards and trackpads like the Macbooks).  I have a GPT-formatted disk and have Win7 and WinXP installed as well, so I booted into XP after testing whether OS X would load the GUI (which of course it didn't).  I opened the device manager, went to properties for the 9200M GS, and the details tab showed "PCI\Ven_10DE&DEV_06E8."  I have MacDrive installed so that I can access my HFS+ partition at times like this.  I opened the "info.plist" for GeForce.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext, and edited the "IOPCIMatch" and "IOProbeScore" keys in both of them to be this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x06e810de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>0</integer>

I opened the "info.plist" for NVDAResman.kext and edited the "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" and three "IOProbeScore" keys to be this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>0</integer>

Then I rebooted and celebrated a small victory as the verbose logging ended and instead of a black screen and no display, I was presented with the setup screen for the first boot into OS X.  I got set up and logged in, and found only 1024x768 available and zero QE or CI.  I then installed NVinject 0.2.1, and it did nothing.

Instead of screwing around with other kexts that may or may not work, I'm going to open the 10.5.6 retail image I have and change these kexts in that and burn it to a DVD and use the boot-132 method for a retail install like i had on my Asus.  I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: Also, unless that was a typo in your first post, you have the vendor id first and the the device id second in your strings.  It needs to be "0x06e810de" -- your first post says "0x10de06e8"

yeah my b i meant 0x06e810de typo :blowup: so now im booting into dos and gonna use nvflash to save my bios and then get an nvcap string. hopefully that will enable qe/ci! wish me luck

i used efi studio and an nvidia geforce 8800t gms or something like that as the graphics card but i inserted my nvcap, i get graphics working, it recognizes it and 512MB of video ram but then no QE/CI, i made sure i removed nvdarwin and all those other kexts, but no QE/CI ;)

Yeah I had a feeling it was a typo since you did get video minus QE/CI after editing the kexts. And QE/CI is all we have left to figure out I believe.  I edited those keys/strings for the three kexts in my retail OS X image and sure enough that was all that needed to be done for the gui to show up and do a retail install.

When I edited the kexts, the first time I only changed the "IOPCIMatch" and "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" strings to "0x06e810de" and tried that, but that did the same thing as not editing them and the display lost the signal when the GUI should have come up.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to try it with just the "IOProbeScore" strings changed to "0" and I don't know anything about programming, so I'm wondering what the probescore value means and whether setting that to "0" instead of 6000 and 50000 or whatever the values are is what allows the GUI to load.  I hope that sometime soon I'll be able to test the retail image with just the "IOProbeScore" modified to see if it works without having to specify our device and vendor ID.  All that would prove is that the "IOProbeScore" is what causes us to lose video when the GUI loads, and maybe someone out there that knows about this stuff can explain why that is the case.

As for QE/CI, I haven't had to deal with trying to enable them in the past and so I know next to nothing about what to try for that.  Are you also stuck with the garbage 1024/768 resolution with no other options?  That's just a pain haha.  I'll have to look into this nvcap stuff... where did you see that?  What systems/cards have people used that with?  Since it starts with "nv" I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's some value all nVidia cards have.  Since that didn't work for you, do you have any other ideas we should be checking out?  I've got two finals left this week and I took my laptop apart to paint today, but let me know anything else you come across that's worth investigating and I will try them out as soon as I can.

nvcap's are strings that have values that are somehow related to the function of the card. to get an nvcap string, you have to get a copy of your bios in windows with a program like nvflash and then save it as a .rom and then load it with osx into nvcap maker. still no qe/ci. i reinstalled all the kexts, still no injectors but i get an error stating that i have to shut my computer down upon booting

it'd probably do you well to erase that and do a fresh install and start from scratch... if you do and don't have a way to edit the geforce/nvdanvhal/nvdaresman kexts, i'll send you mine.  do you know what injectors do and if there's a way to do it manually?  seems strange that multiple other people say all they did after editing the kexts was use nvdarwin or nvinject and that got the card working 100%... maybe if we could manually try what the injectors do, we could figure out the qe/ci/resolution problem.

it'd probably do you well to erase that and do a fresh install and start from scratch... if you do and don't have a way to edit the geforce/nvdanvhal/nvdaresman kexts, i'll send you mine.  do you know what injectors do and if there's a way to do it manually?  seems strange that multiple other people say all they did after editing the kexts was use nvdarwin or nvinject and that got the card working 100%... maybe if we could manually try what the injectors do, we could figure out the qe/ci/resolution problem.

right now im pretty sure its a problem with the video card communicating with the internal lcd screen. once i can get osx to boot again, ill try osx86 tools with my custom nvcap and efi strings and see how that goes :( ill keep ya updated

I have the same laptop as you, the samsung x460. And running into the same issue. I have been able to get the QE/CI working on the EXTERNAL vga port ONLY. I did a clean install from iDeneb 10.5.6 and select nvdarwin 256M and voodoo kernel. After the install, it reboots and goes blank. if I turn off the computer and plug in the external monitor and turn it on, it displays only on the external. After playing around trying to get the internal screen working, I have somehow disabled the external qe/ci. So I am going to reinstall and get the external ce/qi working again, and than try what you suggested below and see if it works. Thanks for the tip.

FYI, I set the boot.info graphics mode to 1280x800 to get the internal to 1280x800.

Two questions,

1) I have only been able to get voodoo kernel working, honetly have spent most of my time working on the 9200M, have you gotten the vanilla kernel working?

2) I assume the wireless does not work for you?

Well I have some good news on my end at least.  I have video now, but of course no QE or CI and only the crappy 1024x768 resolution.

I did a new ideneb 10.5.6 install and only selected the two PS/2 fixes for my keyboard and trackpad (I think it's beyond stupid that most new notebooks still don't have internal USB keyboards and trackpads like the Macbooks).  I have a GPT-formatted disk and have Win7 and WinXP installed as well, so I booted into XP after testing whether OS X would load the GUI (which of course it didn't).  I opened the device manager, went to properties for the 9200M GS, and the details tab showed "PCI\Ven_10DE&DEV_06E8."  I have MacDrive installed so that I can access my HFS+ partition at times like this.  I opened the "info.plist" for GeForce.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext, and edited the "IOPCIMatch" and "IOProbeScore" keys in both of them to be this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>0</integer>

I opened the "info.plist" for NVDAResman.kext and edited the "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" and three "IOProbeScore" keys to be this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>0</integer>

Then I rebooted and celebrated a small victory as the verbose logging ended and instead of a black screen and no display, I was presented with the setup screen for the first boot into OS X.  I got set up and logged in, and found only 1024x768 available and zero QE or CI.  I then installed NVinject 0.2.1, and it did nothing.

Instead of screwing around with other kexts that may or may not work, I'm going to open the 10.5.6 retail image I have and change these kexts in that and burn it to a DVD and use the boot-132 method for a retail install like i had on my Asus.  I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: Also, unless that was a typo in your first post, you have the vendor id first and the the device id second in your strings.  It needs to be "0x06e810de" -- your first post says "0x10de06e8"

This is actually interesting............I have a Studio 13 XPS laptop that has a 9500m graphic card which is a 9400M and a 9200M GS that works in vista with hybrid sli. I tried getting both cards running in osx and it didnt worked, I assumed because both cards where fighting for video output, but reading this thread it seems it has nothing to do with what i though before. I hope you can get it running!

Cheers

I have the same laptop as you, the samsung x460. And running into the same issue. I have been able to get the QE/CI working on the EXTERNAL vga port ONLY. I did a clean install from iDeneb 10.5.6 and select nvdarwin 256M and voodoo kernel. After the install, it reboots and goes blank. if I turn off the computer and plug in the external monitor and turn it on, it displays only on the external. After playing around trying to get the internal screen working, I have somehow disabled the external qe/ci. So I am going to reinstall and get the external ce/qi working again, and than try what you suggested below and see if it works. Thanks for the tip.
It's times like this I wish I was a computer engineering major haha. It's just silly that the internal display goes blank and the video gets sent to the VGA output by default. I've put OS X on many laptops for friends and the only other one that did this was a Dell Inspiron e1505 with integrated Intel graphics (though I doubt that laptop is of any relevance to our problem).

I still have no proof or definite confirmation of what the "IOProbeScore" key does, but I think it may be related to searching/"probing" for the default display. Perhaps changing the string to zero stops OS X from searching for, finding, and using the VGA output by default instead of the internal display. I also think that the varying reports of others getting no video through VGA, while you do get the signal through VGA, is simply because of the differences in the hacked distros.

Originally I thought that the screen was going blank because when OS X tried to load the GUI it had some sort of driver issue with the 9200M, which I thought made sense since it isn't used in any MacBooks, but I'd say that has been disproved, as all that is needed for it to work is editing the two values in those three kexts. And though I was rushed and didn't test it, I believe that editing the "IOProbeScore" values alone may be all that is really needed and that the "IOPCIMatch" and "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" values may be left alone. You should try that if you can.

What really confuses me is how your external display can have QE/CI, yet the internal doesn't. I've been under the impression that once QE/CI are enabled, being based on the video card's hardware, that functionality is available to every display using the QE/CI-enabled video card. So that worries me as far as there being a simple/easy solution to this haha.

FYI, I set the boot.info graphics mode to 1280x800 to get the internal to 1280x800.
Where is the boot.info file located and what key/string did you edit or add to get the 1280x800? Just having that instead of the ungodly 1024x768 will be a huge improvement haha.

1) I have only been able to get voodoo kernel working, honetly have spent most of my time working on the 9200M, have you gotten the vanilla kernel working?
Vanilla works great. I bought the X460 because of its similarity to the new unibody MacBook Pros as far as hardware specs, and it has not disappointed. I actually bought a retail Leopard DVD from the school bookstore on the cheap, and I burned a "boot-132" cd to allow me to boot the retail OS X Install DVD and install directly from it. It requires the hard drive to be partitioned using GPT/GUID, but I prefer that anyway and it's compatible with the MBR scheme.

I chose to use the GUID partition map, then made 3 partitions (meaning there will actually be 4 primary partitions, the max that MBR can recognize, because a hidden 200MB EFI partition is created at the beginning of the drive, then the other 3 that you create are after it. The EFI partition doesn't automatically mount in OS X and so by default you never see it unless you want to, but it shows up normally in Windows). I did a 50GB OS X on the second, a 50GB Windows 7 on the third, and a 200GB XP on the fourth to fill up the remaining free space on the drive since I also use the WinXP partition for all my files/movies/music/etc. And aside from the 9200M issue, the retail install runs amazingly. When I tried the iDeneb 10.5.6 I didn't select anything extra other than the disabler or whatever it was that it claims you have to install, and it worked great. Just not quite as good as a full retail install.

2) I assume the wireless does not work for you?
I actually have a Dell 1530 WLAN card which uses a Broadcom chipset and is known (along with the 1570 and some other specific cards/chipsets) to work under OS X. I had used this card in my previous laptop after swapping my Intel 3945 with a friend who had the Dell 1530, and I took out the Intel 5100 that came in the X460 and used the 1530 instead, so I did have wireless.

But just this afternoon I received a new Apple Airport card from the new unibody MacBooks to replace the Dell 1530, and I also got a Dell 5530 WWAN card to install in the empty "HSDPA" slot next to the WLAN card and use with the SIM slot behind the battery to get a GPS signal and 3G on the X460. I'm hoping to finish painting the chassis tomorrow and get it all reassembled to get back to working on that 9200 because I think we can sort it out.

Thanks for the detailed reply. To get 1280x800,

Run Terminal (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal)

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo causes the nano (text editor) command to run as an administrator / super user

Add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

Slight update, last night I attempted to ugprade to 10.5.7 because I noticed they have updated graphics drivers and wanted to try that before I did a complete new install. Well it failed, and I am now forced to do a new install.

Question about the boot-132 vanilla method, how does the sleep or restore work for you?

Also thanks for the info on the wireless, I think that is the method I am going to go with, The actually card is a 1505 and the dell laptop was a 1530? I did not find any wlan on ebay for 1505.

This is actually interesting............I have a Studio 13 XPS laptop that has a 9500m graphic card which is a 9400M and a 9200M GS that works in vista with hybrid sli. I tried getting both cards running in osx and it didnt worked, I assumed because both cards where fighting for video output, but reading this thread it seems it has nothing to do with what i though before. I hope you can get it running!

Cheers

I bet as soon as we can get the 9200M fully enabled, then at least your 9200M will work by default. The new unibody MacBook Pros use the 9400M and 9600M GT and switch between them in OS X, and work under SLI in Windows, so I don't think it's too crazy to imagine that your 9200M and 9400M should have that same capability once this 9200M business is all cleared up.

When you say OS X didn't work, what exactly happened? Did it install and then give a blank screen the first time you tried to boot after the install, the same as what happened to almost all of us?

Thanks for the detailed reply. To get 1280x800,

Run Terminal (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal)

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo causes the nano (text editor) command to run as an administrator / super user

Add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

Thanks, easy enough haha.

Slight update, last night I attempted to ugprade to 10.5.7 because I noticed they have updated graphics drivers and wanted to try that before I did a complete new install. Well it failed, and I am now forced to do a new install.

Question about the boot-132 vanilla method, how does the sleep or restore work for you?

Didn't try to sleep.  What I can say is that it boots fast, and I set the display to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity and once i do something to wake it up, the screen comes right back on without a problem.  I haven't tried restoring yet either.  I did install a kext to get the battery meter, and two kexts for the PS/2 keyboard and touchpad.  I think it's completely ridiculous that new, non-Mac laptops are STILL using PS/2 instead of USB for the keyboard and touchpad.  First thing I'll be doing when it's back together is using Time Machine to backup the hard drive, so I'll mention how that goes in a future post as well.

Also thanks for the info on the wireless, I think that is the method I am going to go with, The actual card is a 1505 and the dell laptop was a 1530? I did not find any wlan on ebay for 1505.
Other way around.  My friend's laptop that sent the video to the external display instead of the internal was an Inspiron e1505, but the WLAN card I got from him is a Dell 1530.  But if you're gonna buy a new card, I would highly recommend an authentic Airport card from the new MacBooks because it will give the best performance and reliability, plus is still fully compatible with Windows and Linux.

The 1530 works, but it's sketchy; OS X can't get details about it and there have been a few times in the past when it would stop working or suddenly be disabled, just random little annoyances.  The Airport card is only $50: http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/q34844 -- worth it in my book.  Then again, I'm looking to copy the specs of the new MacBooks as closely as I can, so $50 for the Airport card was on my list when I bought the X460.  If you don't get the Airport card, Dell's 1530 and 1570 cards work, and if you search for those in the forums there will most likely be threads about adapters/chipsets in general that get recognized as Airport cards, because I think that's how I originally found out about them.

Well, since i have both cards..Im using the 9400M, but yea if I try to enable (with any way..) the 9200M...i get a blackscreen and it hangs there, I know its frozen since theres no hdd led activity and im unable to ping the computer. What I dont know if you are getting a blackscreen buuuuut..the computer is still running?...

cheers

I had a little time over the weekend to work on it. But when I installed idebeb 1.4 and selected nvdarwin 256M I was able to get QE/CI working on the external monitor fine. i was happy, I than attempted to do your modification of the kext info.plist files add the IOPRObe amd setting the graphics card. But when I restarted it was still a black lcd screen. The only way to get the display was attaching a external monitor again.

I than attempted to install boot-123 method. I d/led and burned the BOO-KABL-BUMY.iso file I booted that and

1. On the boot prompt, press Enter. You will be asked to enter a two-digit hexadecimal boot device (do not press any key).

2. Remove the BootCD and replace it with the Mac OS X Retail DVD. Wait for the blinking light on your DVD drive to stop and then hit Enter (this will read your DVD drive and not your HD).

After that the computer would reboot. Do I need to clean out my partitions, because I currently have a XP and a ideneb OSX partition?

my thoughts was to try to install the vanilla and than intall nvdarwin and see if I can get at least the qe/ci working on the external monitor.

I had a little time over the weekend to work on it. But when I installed idebeb 1.4 and selected nvdarwin 256M I was able to get QE/CI working on the external monitor fine. i was happy, I than attempted to do your modification of the kext info.plist files add the IOPRObe amd setting the graphics card. But when I restarted it was still a black lcd screen. The only way to get the display was attaching a external monitor again.

I than attempted to install boot-123 method. I d/led and burned the BOO-KABL-BUMY.iso file I booted that and

1. On the boot prompt, press Enter. You will be asked to enter a two-digit hexadecimal boot device (do not press any key).

2. Remove the BootCD and replace it with the Mac OS X Retail DVD. Wait for the blinking light on your DVD drive to stop and then hit Enter (this will read your DVD drive and not your HD).

After that the computer would reboot. Do I need to clean out my partitions, because I currently have a XP and a ideneb OSX partition?

my thoughts was to try to install the vanilla and than intall nvdarwin and see if I can get at least the qe/ci working on the external monitor.

When I did iDeneb v1.4, I didn't select anything other than the kext or two that it says you have to, I think Disabler.kext or something. Without anything extra installed for the graphics it cut off the signal after the verbose logging ended and I assume it sent it to the VGA output like yours, but I didn't try it on mine for some reason.  Then I went to Windows and modified those 3 kexts and it gave video on the internal display like people were saying it would.  I installed nvinjectgo 0.2.1 but got no resolution change or QE/CI, so I wiped it and did a retail install.  I'll try out nvdarwin 256 and see if it works on the internal display.

Couple things about the retail install, I had to modify those values in the .dmg image before burning it (though I don't burn it to a dvd anymore, I restore the installer to an external hd, much faster install) in order for it to display on the internal screen.  When the boot-132 cd loads and gives you the initial prompt, press esc and it gives you a prompt to enter the hex value of the boot drive.  Apparently the CD/DVD drive is usually 9f, but on the X460 it's ef, maybe because it's a SATA drive or something, but it's already on the ef option so after hitting esc, swap the discs, give it a second, and then press enter.  If the DVD is burned correctly then "Mac OS X Install DVD" will be the boot option you're presented with, at which point I always use -v and hit enter.  After installation I went into Windows and edited the 3 kexts to get the internal display working.  And I'll try nvdarwin 256 soon and see what happens, I'm leaving for Honduras tonight and it'll take me a bit to get my SIM card there and get a 3g data pack, but I'll let you know how nvdarwin goes.  Hope I made the boot-132 instructions a bit clearer, keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

finally my friend got a new computer, and whadda ya know, it has an 9200M GS in it! I decided to try on his and i just checked nvdarwin and bam, his has QE/CI :D What caused his to work flawlessly and mine not to? he has ich8 not ich9 like this computer and i think he has ahci also, but im not sure ;( this is upsetting lol

upon further investigation i realized my card is not a GS, but a 9200M GE, meaning that it is similar, but underclocked :angry: this sucks and i'm gonna try to figure out how to get it with GE, and the GS should work similarly since they are very similar cards.

Thanks for the update. I have not had a chance recently to work on my machine. But last time I did, I tried to do the full rental OSX install. I used teh generic.iso image, burned it to a CD and booted off of it.

I pressed the escape key and swapped dvd's and entered I think 'ef', what you mentioned in a earlier message, but it would just return back to the login screen. If I accepted the original default value, i think '9f' then I get the mac logo with the turning circle, but after about 5 seconds the computer reboots.

Not sure what the deal it, but I am going to try with a different retail dvd and see if work any better.

thanks

upon further investigation i realized my card is not a GS, but a 9200M GE, meaning that it is similar, but underclocked :( this sucks and i'm gonna try to figure out how to get it with GE, and the GS should work similarly since they are very similar cards.