DSL inside vmware, while rest of mac Cable Internet? Possible?

2 posts in this topic

I'm running Windows XP inside VMware on my Tiger OS X mac pro. I'm using Cable (Ethernet 1) and DSL (Ethernet 2 or USB).

I'm trying to set it up in a way that the internet on the mac will come from the Cable, and the VMWARE (Win XP) will come from DSL.

From what I understand on mac I can only have primary and secondary internet sources, if the primary works it will supply internet to ALL the applications. So when VMware is getting the internet it's the Cable, and I don't see how to switch it to the secondary source.

My other choice is to connect the DSL to USB and have VMware directly see it, but in order to do that I must disable the Network Adapter so it doesn't catch setting from the internet on the Mac (Cable).

If you have any idea what I'm talking about, please help me smile.gif

• 5 months later...

Yes, should be easy enough.

The fastest way I can think (off the top of my head..) is use the DSL modem with a USB connection and not the ethernet. That way, when you connect it to the VMware machine (plug it in, then might need to connect the USB from the Device menu) This way it will have dedicated access to the USB device and Mac won't "know" about it until you disconnect it from VMware.

Also, edit the VMware machine settings to remove all ethernet NICs, so it doesn't use a virtual network.

Since you'd be using DSL with USB, you would probably need an XP driver for the DSL modem.