Quartz Compositor Delay?

Muki Key Oot

1 post in this topic

I know some non-hack mac users get this too, but I've never been able to find a forum topic on it. Is there any way to alleviate the occasional multi-second delay for Quartz Compositor effects? I mean anything from switching apps (Apple+Tab) to Expose (F9) to Show Desktop (F11). I don't use Spaces but I can imagine what would happen if I did. 

It gets pretty bad too, sometimes up to 5-10 seconds for the app list to show up while I'm holding the apple key. (And if I don't, it'll flash for a moment at some inopportune time).

As far as I remember from using Linux and Windows, under similar circumstances Alt+Tab was slow, but it didn't NOT show up for a few seconds. I think that's far worse, because many times you'll have commands mentally queued up (hotkeys in particular) that end up executing on the window you're ON instead of the window you SHOULD'VE been on, which has done everything from futz a display (clearing a terminal window while running vim when you wanted to refresh a browser is BAD, unless you have screen running, at which point it's still ANNOYING).

Is there any app whose priority I can change or some sort of third party app that forces the important stuff to stay in RAM? I'm not even sure what causes this annoyance.

Quick specs, if that helps: Core 2 Duo E4300, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4850 PCI-E (Netkas driver). Tho like I've said, I've heard from friends with Macbook Pros (Geforce 8600) that have this same problem.