Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 Retail Install Notes

Bart86

90 posts in this topic

Related to our Auto-Sleep issue -

Can someone who does not have a Samsung DVD drive please post back and let me know if you have this issue?

Looking for someone with a Sony or Pioneer SATA DVD/RW to confirm if they have this issue or not. That will help rule out firmware issues on the Samsung drives.

Thanks

So I was able to get a stable 10.5.7 by following this thread more carefully. unforunitly I am not able to get my sapphire 3870 100% working. I am able to use the card, and it says that CI/QE are enabled, but if I use any software that looks to see if I have a CI/QE video card, I get an error that I have 0MB of VRAM on my card.

Still trying to figure that out..

Todd, sorry, but I really have no experience with ATI cards or related injectors. Your best bet is to read/post to the ATI specific threads. If you end up swapping the card, I'd really recommend a 9600GT. They are cheap and powerful and dead simple to setup in OSX.

hey bart86,

i use a two pioneer sata dvd-r/rw drives in my config and dont have the auto sleep issues, however i use a EP45-DS3P

my current issues are with RT1000.kext, which does not renew dhcp leases when the computer wakes from sleep - right now i go around the issue by assigning a static ip address

Related to our Auto-Sleep issue -

Can someone who does not have a Samsung DVD drive please post back and let me know if you have this issue?

Looking for someone with a Sony or Pioneer SATA DVD/RW to confirm if they have this issue or not. That will help rule out firmware issues on the Samsung drives.

Thanks

Todd, sorry, but I really have no experience with ATI cards or related injectors. Your best bet is to read/post to the ATI specific threads. If you end up swapping the card, I'd really recommend a 9600GT. They are cheap and powerful and dead simple to setup in OSX.

I think I will go buy a Sony today "Black Sony Optiarc 24X SATA DVD Burner, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 12X DVD+/-R DL, 12X DVD-RAM, Model: AD-7240S-0B. OEM" (www.directron.com) for $25.99 and see if it fixes the sleep issue.

Hi

I found your post, and it has already answered a couple of questions that I had great difficulty answering. I use a bit older board than yours. Mine is a GA-EP35-DS3P. I recently downloaded the Chameleon 2.0 installer, and have tried using it 2 ways. Now, I've installed Chameleon on a usb stick and am leaving it in the computer, and I have an OSX installation WITHOUT a bootloader on a new drive. Because I had issues with UUID causing me to be unable to use Netflix player, I used EFI studio to install EFI strings for my ethernet and my Video. This is all working well. I would like to all my extensions and fixes load from the USB stick, and keep my install disk "Mac Only". The part I don't understand is the loading of the files that are in my Extra/Extensions folder on my Chameleon Boot Stick. If I want to load the EFI strings from the Chameleon USB boot stick, how do I accomplish this?

I copied a section from your post that I have a question about. Here's the quote... "Then I downloaded Chameleon 2 rc1 and installed it. There is an automated installer now. Use that one. It will create a /Extra directory. In the Extensions directory you need AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext, and OpenHaltRestart.kext, AHCIPortInjector.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext."

In the quote above you say.."In the Extensions Directory you need.... do you mean the extensions folder in the Extra folder?

Thanks

Pandar

Hi

I found your post, and it has already answered a couple of questions that I had great difficulty answering. I use a bit older board than yours. Mine is a GA-EP35-DS3P. I recently downloaded the Chameleon 2.0 installer, and have tried using it 2 ways. Now, I've installed Chameleon on a usb stick and am leaving it in the computer, and I have an OSX installation WITHOUT a bootloader on a new drive. Because I had issues with UUID causing me to be unable to use Netflix player, I used EFI studio to install EFI strings for my ethernet and my Video. This is all working well. I would like to all my extensions and fixes load from the USB stick, and keep my install disk "Mac Only". The part I don't understand is the loading of the files that are in my Extra/Extensions folder on my Chameleon Boot Stick. If I want to load the EFI strings from the Chameleon USB boot stick, how do I accomplish this?

I copied a section from your post that I have a question about. Here's the quote... "Then I downloaded Chameleon 2 rc1 and installed it. There is an automated installer now. Use that one. It will create a /Extra directory. In the Extensions directory you need AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext, and OpenHaltRestart.kext, AHCIPortInjector.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext."

In the quote above you say.."In the Extensions Directory you need.... do you mean the extensions folder in the Extra folder?

Thanks

Pandar

In the original post is a link to Kaido's thread. I think his guide supports/documents how to install the extensions on a USB stick. That said, com.apple.boot.plist should be copied to /Extra. Yes, addon extensions go in the /Extra/Extensions1 directory (if your following my guide). Again Kaido's thread is more appropriate for your board/approach.

I think I will go buy a Sony today "Black Sony Optiarc 24X SATA DVD Burner, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 12X DVD+/-R DL, 12X DVD-RAM, Model: AD-7240S-0B. OEM" (www.directron.com) for $25.99 and see if it fixes the sleep issue.

It's a long-shot. All SATA drives firmware should be written to the same API for power management. It's hard to fathom this would be the case, but can't rule it out. To my knowledge, all of the OEM optical drives on past/present mac pro's are Pioneer.

It's a long-shot. All SATA drives firmware should be written to the same API for power management. It's hard to fathom this would be the case, but can't rule it out. To my knowledge, all of the OEM optical drives on past/present mac pro's are Pioneer.

True I didn't even think of that - I guess Iwill try to find a Pioneer! I just looked at my old Mac Pro and it is an IDE Pioneer DVR-111D.

True I didn't even think of that - I guess Iwill try to find a Pioneer! I just looked at my old Mac Pro and it is an IDE Pioneer DVR-111D.

I bought a Pioneer DVR-212D and it is the Samsung drives! Auto-sleep works fine without a CD/DVD in the drive. It has entered sleep from the timer now 3 times. Craziest thing I have ever seen, problem is that the Pioneer was only available in beige where I bought it and case is black (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0295215)!

I bought a Pioneer DVR-212D and it is the Samsung drives! Auto-sleep works fine without a CD/DVD in the drive. It has entered sleep from the timer now 3 times. Craziest thing I have ever seen, problem is that the Pioneer was only available in beige where I bought it and case is black (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0295215)!

Thats awsome! Can you do some more testing at some point?

- If you have a spare sata port, can you also connect the original samsung drive in addtion to the Pioneer and see if you get the old issue back?

- Can you cut and past the info in system profiler for the drive

- Can you burn a DVD or 2 and verify the functionality of the Pioneer drive

This may be more of an Apple bug than a hackintosh one. The ultimate test would be to replace the optical drive in one of the newer ICH10 Mac Pros with a SH-203N or similar and see if the problem exists. Those machines are so new and I suspect not many have had the need/desire to replace their drive yet.

- If you have a spare sata port, can you also connect the original samsung drive in addtion to the Pioneer and see if you get the old issue back?

This may be more of an Apple bug than a hackintosh one. The ultimate test would be to replace the optical drive in one of the newer ICH10 Mac Pros with a SH-203N or similar and see if the problem exists. Those machines are so new and I suspect not many have had the need/desire to replace their drive yet.

Sure, will try to get to that this afternoon.

EDIT: the drive burns disk fine (2 Linux distros burnt).

Images of System Profiler attached:

post-308076-1245354826_thumb.png

post-308076-1245354834_thumb.png

There is a possibility this could be a Gigabyte BIOS issue as well I guess. I have the latest RC of Windows 7 x64 loaded on a separate drive and it too fails to auto-sleep about 30% of the time.

Bart86,

I do not believe that it is the BIOS, Windows 7 turns on the network wake from sleep function. You have to go into device manager -> properties of the network adapters and uncheck the allow this device to wake computer. This drove me crazy, the PC would go to sleep then wake up 30 - 90 seconds after it went to sleep!

In my findings when trying to sleep Windows 7 all the computer does is logs me off and no sleep, i am going to reinstall a fresh new copy on of windows 7 and see what happens then.

Cwall64,

can i ask what Kext you are using to properly load the Jmicron sata controller and have them show up just like the pics you posted of your system profiler.

Thanks,

In my findings when trying to sleep Windows 7 all the computer does is logs me off and no sleep, i am going to reinstall a fresh new copy on of windows 7 and see what happens then.

Cwall64,

can i ask what Kext you are using to properly load the Jmicron sata controller and have them show up just like the pics you posted of your system profiler.

Thanks,

LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode.kext, i beleive that it came from Weaksauce12's package, or it was in this thread, or the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Extra folder.

LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode.kext.zip

Bart, first I have to say thanks for your guide and the hard work you put into it, and the responses you've provided to others questions.

Now that I'm done brown-nosing, I was able to use your guide (mostly - see the end of the post for more info) to get my system up and running. However, Like you I decided I'd rather know exactly what all of the kexts I was installing were doing. A clean system is a happy system. And I wanted to keep my Chameleon 2 install separate from my OS X install.

So I am now back to a vanilla 10.5.7 install and wanted to get some more info before I proceed.

First off, my system consists of:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

EVGA nVidia 9800 GT 1GB

8GB RAM

Second, I like the idea of using Chameleon 2.0 on the EFI partition to keep my OS X install clean. While I've figured out how to install it on that partition, I am a little confused about how to use UInstaller and Chameleon, as UInstaller will only install to my OS X Partition. If I understand correctly, I let UInstaller do it's thing, then move the kexts from my /Library/Extensisons folder to the /Extras/Extensions folder on the EFI partition. Do I also move extensions.mkext to the EFI Partition?

Lastly, here are all the kexts I've found people using for this board. I'm not entirely sure what all of these do, and whether or not all are needed. I've tried to gather as much info as I can, but have still come up short.

AppleDecrypt.kext - ?

Disabler.kext - is needed to disable the AppleIntelCPU kext. i also added AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler inside Disabler.

OpenHaltRestart.kext - addresses an issue with Quads that allow you to reboot and restart normally. I'm not sure if it's needed with Core2Duo or not...anyone?

AHCIPortInjector.kext enables AHCI disk mode for your hard drives. I hear that 10.5.7 may have native support for ICH10 chipsets (what your board has) and this kext may no longer be needed after it is released. NOT NEEDED

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - simply fixes an issue where SATA drives show up with Orange ICONS indicating they are hot swappable (which they are).

UUID.kext - this not only fixes the uuid error 35, but it also fixes the problem in which when you have the "require password to wake from sleep or screensaver" option on, it does not ask for Authentication when coming out of screensaver, this kext fixes that issue, you can google UUID.kext and you will find it really fast.

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext - ?

RealtekR1000.kext - Only needed if you want Bonjour

HDAEnabler.kext - Replacement for ALCInject kext. Feature added: audio recognition in SysPref.

AppleHDA.kext - Rear microphone working. No mute. Use with injector.

ALCinject.kext - Kexts for getting onboard sound working with Asus p3w dh deluxe mobo.

SMBIOSEnabler.kext - ?

ACPIPS2Nub.kext - EFIboot PS2 driver for 10.5.2. Requires factory 10.5.2 IOACPI and AppleACPI kext's

dsmos.kext - Decrypter.

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext - Ignores IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext under Leopard

As and aside, I ended up using grub_dfe to do my install. I was basically looking for the newest option and when I learned chameleon on a flash drive wouldn't boot my DVD, I switched to grub as it seemed to be the next newest boot disc around.

So, thanks again for your guide. Any help you or anyone else here can give me would be appreciated.

Take care,

-peel

The only thing I use UIinstaller for is to do up the EFI strings because it's relatively easy. EFI strings get written to com.apple.Boot.plist and that needs to go in /Extras. I think if you read through the guide I point out where that gets written and where it should be copied to. I don't have any experience with using the EFI partition but if you read the replies I believe someone posted a link to some instructions on how to accomplish this. There really is no benefit from an operational standpoint to use it and it really doesn't make your install any "cleaner" in any practical sense if the drive is to remain in a hackintosh. If Chameleon ever gains the ability to boot retail DVDs I might look into it again. Also, from what I gather, it is less reliable at loading certain kexts from an EFI partition compared to the boot volume so that would also have to be improved.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter whether I try adding EFI strings to com.apple.Boot.plist via OSx86Tools, UInstaller, or EFIStudio (or editing/deleting+replacing NetworkInterfaces.plist manually after removing all devices except en0 in System Preferences/Network), for some reason none of these applications recognize an ethernet device. I just keep getting "The device 'ethernet' was not found on this system! (~2700)". Any suggestions? Extremely appreciated! (I'm in a bind suddenly as FCP just stopped working yesterday and can't figure out what else it could be.) I've been scouring the internet for hours - I hope I just overlooked something..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Any progress on this?? I have the "auto sleep" failing issue after upgrading to 10.5.7 myself. DVD burner makes funny noises from time to time (presumably when the machine tries to sleep). "Normal sleep" works perfectly. Tried two different SATA DVD burners: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S and Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N. Leaving a DVD in the drives doesn't help either!

Annoying!!

kulos

Hi

Any progress on this?? I have the "auto sleep" failing issue after upgrading to 10.5.7 myself. DVD burner makes funny noises from time to time (presumably when the machine tries to sleep). "Normal sleep" works perfectly. Tried two different SATA DVD burners: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S and Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N. Leaving a DVD in the drives doesn't help either!

Annoying!!

kulos

I have added two different Pioneer drives to two different machines and they both sleep fine now (DVR-218LBK & DVR-212D), but both machines perviously worked with the Samsung SH-S223Q's with a DVD or CD in the drive...

I have added two different Pioneer drives to two different machines and they both sleep fine now (DVR-218LBK & DVR-212D), but both machines perviously worked with the Samsung SH-S223Q's with a DVD or CD in the drive...

Hi and thanks for the answer

I would buy a Pioneer drive if only I knew where to get one in Norway. The only Pioneer drive I could find so far, is a single, very expensive Bluray drive. Ordered stuff from EU usually stops in customs which leads to extra expenses.

Do you know if these drives are sold under other brand-names as well??

I guess I might have to pick one up the next time I go abroad.

kulos

It did work! The Pioneer solved it! The problem was that this was "hidden" due to the fact that I had Temperature Monitor Light running on Login. Disabling Temp Mon. after changing to the Pioneer restored the automatic sleep on idle functionality!! (I had of course tried this with the old drives a well. Just forgot about it)

:)

• 2 weeks later...