Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 Retail Install Notes

Bart86

90 posts in this topic

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 - F9 Firmware - Q6600 - nVidia 9600GT

I used the boot disk provided here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tggygyldgmz/UD3P.ip to boot my 10.4 retail disk and install.

This boot diskwas made by a guy named Kaido and his thread about his guide is here - http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...MVIEWTMP=Linear

What makes these notes different/important for this board is that I've found that both the onboard Audio and Ethernet can be supported flawlessly (except for inbound Bonjour). Many of the Audio fixes end up with semi funtional audio which either spews errors into your system log, or makes loud popping noises.

After installing retail 10.4, I upgraded to 10.5.6 using the full installer downloaded from Apple.

Used UInstaller to add my graphics card EFI string. I DID NOT install any of the kext packages or other options. Continued to used the CD to boot at this point. I just wanted to get my 9600GT going since the drivers are in 10.5.6.

Then I downloaded Chameleon 2 rc1 and installed it. There is an automated installer now. Use that one. It will create a /Extra directory. In the Extensions directory you need AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext, and OpenHaltRestart.kext, AHCIPortInjector.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Get rid of the other {censored} in there. You'll need to track down these kexts on your own so please don't ask me.

Wrote this handy script to recompile the mkext. Just put it in /Extra, name it build_mkext.sh, and chmod it to 755 as root. Also run it as root. You will probably see alot of dependency errors. Ignore them. This script renames the Extensions directory to Extensions1 after building the mkext. When you want to add stuff, just drop it in the Extensions1 directory and rerun the build script.

#!/bin/sh

rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext

mv /Extra/Extensions1 /Extra/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /Extra/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions

kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

mv /Extra/Extensions /Extra/Extensions1

Ok at this point you should be able reboot and use the chameleon boot loader without the CD.

ETHERNET - On board works on this board out of the box and is handled by the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. I did not need the RT1000 kext as many guides suggest and it works flawlessly except for inbound Bonjour services. If you need to see other machines Bonjour services you will still need to use RT1000.kext or a different ethernet card. No problems renewing DHCP after coming out of sleep and no delays. In my BIOS I only have the 1st port enabled, I don't know if it would see the 2nd port or not, but since no Macs come with dual ethernet, I recommend you leave the 2nd port disabled in the bios.

AUDIO - On board works flawlessly (3 out analog + rear mic). No pops, no clicks, no Assertion errors in the log file. To get this I just had to add the magic from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry998397 . The file you want to download is in that post, it's named "series_of_legacy_no_front_mic.zip". There are various sets of kexts in this file. I used the ones in the "Legacy 3outs2ins digital regular headphone" folder. Just drop them in your Extensions1 directory, recompile the mkext and reboot. You will then need to go into the Sound Prefs and select Internal Speakers to get output. The mic works from the correct mic port on the back.

Tweaks -

Redid the EFI stings using UInstaller to add the Ethernet EFI string + graphics card. You need this so that the EN0 interface will show up as "Built In" in the NetworkingInterfaces.plist. Without it, ethernet will still work, but you won't be able to do things like stream Netflix or use Timemachine. Now with Chameleon 2.0, you add the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra directory but remember that UInstaller will still create it in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Just copy it up to /Extra when you create it and all will be good. Also, after a reboot go ahead and delete the NetworkingInterfaces.plist, com.apple.network.identification.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plish and reboot again. This will ensure that those files are recreated. If all works as planned you should see IOBuiltin as "true" for en0 in the NetworkInterfaces.plist (don't try to edit this yourself).

Chameleon 2.0 does really good EFI bios inserts. You just create a file called smbios.plist in the /Extra directory and you can tweak things like RAM speed and such. I'll leave this up to you to have fun and research with Google. There is a template floating around that you can use. Don't use all of them, just create your own file using the template and leave the things you want to override.

"sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0" results in a snappier desktop.

Future -

At some point I would like to move everything over to the EFI partition. That would off the ultimate in compatibility. Even fresh retail installs with no bootcd or any tweaks afterwards. But most importantly, you'll also be able to do a full disk recovery from a time machine disk which you can't do from a bootcd unless you make a custom one. Maybe someone can toss that into this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10.5.7 Update -

Remove your HDAEnabler before installing 10.5.7. It is not compatible with AppleHDAudio.kext supplied in the 10.5.7 update and actually results in a kernel panic. You need to re-download the Audio kexts from the same place as they have been recompiled by the owner to work with 10.5.7. You can use the old kexts but only with the 10.5.6 version of AppleHDAudio. Once you reinstall them, you can go back to using the native one that is installed with 10.5.7.

If you wish to use the old ones for audio temporarily, you can use this approach:

- Move all of the *HDA* kexts out of /Extras/Extensions1 and rebuilt your mkext. Easiest way is to just "cp -R /Extras/Extensions1 /Extras/Extensions_BAK" then "rm -Rf *HDA* /Extras/Extensions1" then rebuild mkext.

- Move AppleHDAaudio.kext in /S/L/E to something with a _10.5.6 suffix

- Update to 10.5.7 with software update as normal (will be without audio obviously).

- Rename the new AppleHDAaudio.kext to <name>_10.5.7

- Move the 10.5.6 one back into place

- Copy the HDA enabler kexts back "cp -R /Extras/Extensions_BAK/*HDA* /Extras/Extensions1" then rebuild the mkext.

Also, you can dump the ACHIport kext since ICH10 is natively supported. I still use the block storage kext to override orange icons.

NOTE: Auto-sleep will not work after updating to 10.5.7 with certain DVD drives. Samsung/Toshiba drives are confirmed to introduce this issue while some Pioneer drives do not. Sleep works when manually selected, but won't engage from a set value of inactivity. A known work around is to leave a DVD in the drive and auto-sleep works properly. Will update if/when a more proper solution is found.

That's a very nice guide, short and sweet. Congratulations.

I'm looking forward to writing one just like it for P5Q-E when my C2D E8500 finally arrives.

You should top it off with demonstrating how to install Chameleon 2.0 to the EFI partition and then installing straight from a retail DVD.

There's a great tool from our friends in Russia that compiles the extensions.mkext and sets the correct permissions for everything at the same time.

And if you already have a extensions.mkext present it makes a backup of it. You just drag and drop an 'extensions' folder onto the app icon. Look:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Thanks, I've converted the /Extra directory to the EFI partition and I have to say this board rocks. Almost instantaneous wake from sleep and all of the onboard stuff works as advertised. Kind of a shame so many people are running the same board with hacked ethernet kexts and popping audio just because they installed using guides that are just plain wrong or originally created for the DS3 version.

After 10.7 comes out, I'll post the instructions for the EFI partition conversion (its really easy). I'm going to test it by restoring my TimeMachine volume to a new disk. Thats the real test. A lot of people *think* they have TM working, but have never actually tried to restore anything at the /System level.

Wrote this handy script to recompile the mkext. Just put it in /Extra, name it build_mkext.sh, and chmod it to 755 as root. Also run it as root. You will probably see alot of dependency errors. Ignore them. This script renames the Extensions directory to Extensions1 after building the mkext. When you want to add stuff, just drop it in the Extensions1 directory and rerun the build script.

#!/bin/sh

Hi, i dont understand this. How do chmod it to 755 as root? What it mean? And is this line ( #!/bin/sh ) right in the Script?

#!/bin/sh

Hi, i dont understand this. How do chmod it to 755 as root? What it mean? And is this line ( #!/bin/sh ) right in the Script?

Yes the #!/bin/sh is needed

Steps to create the script:

Open a terminal window (found in Utilities folder)

cd to the /Extra folder (cd /Volumes/XXX/Extra/ where XXX is the name of your OS X partition)

type "pico" then copy the script from the post and paste (Control + U) into the window.

Hit Control + O and type the name of the file (build_mkext.sh) in the little bar at the bottom then hit enter. (this names the script and saves it).

Hit Control + X to exit pico.

Type sudo chmod 755 build_mkext.sh

enter your password at the prompt.

Now run the script by typing "sudo ./build_mkext.sh"

I think that should get you going.

For commands in Pico go here

James

Then I downloaded Chameleon 2 rc1 and installed it. There is an automated installer now. Use that one. It will create a /Extra directory. In the Extensions directory you need AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext, and OpenHaltRestart.kext, AHCIPortInjector.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Get rid of the other {censored} in there. You'll need to track down these kexts on your own so please don't ask me.

pardan my simple questions but I just recently followed your guide to an OSX install on my own EP45-UD3P

So far I have managed to get network and audio working through your guide. My Nvidia 9400 512 Gt i added using a custom ktext from Uinstaller. Now does this mean i have full hardware acceleration?

I installed charmelon RC1 but when I take my boot CD out and load osx from charmeleon i get the kernal panic image on the apple boot screen. So now I just boot using the CD.

Before I go ahead and install the similar ktext to yours do you mind explaing what the purpose for disabler openhalfrestart ahciport and ioahciblockstorageinjector exactly does?

Thanks in advance.

Once you install Chameleon, the kexts I list are not optional. Disabler is needed to disable the AppleIntelCPU kext and is likely the cause of your kernel panic. OpenHaltRestart addresses an issue with Quads that allow you to reboot and restart normally. I'm not sure if it's needed with Core2Duo or not...anyone? AHCIport enables AHCI disk mode for your hard drives. I hear that 10.5.7 may have native support for ICH10 chipsets (what your board has) and this kext may no longer be needed after it is released. Finally, the IOAHCIBlockStorage simply fixes an issue where SATA drives show up with Orange ICONS indicating they are hot swappable (which they are). So if that doesn't bother you, you don't even need that kext.

I'm not certain if the AppleNvidia kexts which came in 10.5.6 cover the 9400GT or not...Maybe someone else can answer. If they do then you do not and should not install any additional kexts as you mentioned. You only need to add the EFI string using UIinstaller to get those drivers to load on startup. You can tell if they are working if in system profiler it show Core Image has "Hardware Accelerated" and Quartz Extreme "Supported".

Note on creating EFI strings with UIinstaller...it doesn't "add to", it "recreates" each time...So make sure you select both Ethernet and Graphics card when you have to add something.

So both guides stopped me in my tracks. The first one I tried 10.5.6 (the one with the boot-iso) resulted in an apple screen that didn't boot all the way. I tried verbose mode but didn't notice anything that jumped out at me.

Then I tried the chameleon guide above, I have all 5 of the kexts and it still stopped me dead in my tracks during the boot up after installing those kexts. Not sure what's going on because -v in chameleon isn't giving me verbose mode. It just freezes up during the spinning dial on the apple screen. Cool screen btw. I wish I had more info to give, not sure what's going on.

This is on a EP45-UD3R if it matters.

Edit: finally got it to boot verbose... this is the error(s) i'm getting...

AppleDecrypt: page_transform: in_blk xxxxxxx out_blk xxxxxx

I'm assuming my AppleDecrypt was bad? I got it from iDeneb... any info on this would be appreciated.

So I decided to do a clean install for 10.5.7.

1. I used a boot disk and retail leopard disk to install.

2. installed the 10.5.7 update (large 700 mb one)

3. used Uinstaller to add add AppleDecrypt, Disabler and OpenHaltRestart. Also selected option for ethernet fix and added a custom video card 9400GT 512mb.

Restarted 2 times and everything but audio was working perfectly

Used the above method to install the three audio ktext in the 3 outs 2 using Uinstaller and restarted to a kernal panic.

Anyone have a ktext that works for audio in 10.5.7?

But for you guys on the 10.5.7 Audio might want to try this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1155661

I wouldn't. That approach will leave you with popping audio with a UD3P. Just use the 10.5.6 AppleHDA kext and my instructions in the original post until they compile a new HDAenabler.

Trying to keep this thread as clean as possible so please read the whole thing before recommending YAKI (yet another kext installer).

In my experience the key to keeping a stable system that doesn't deteriorate over time is to understand each and every thing you do to your system and WHY that is the best way for your particular install. And of course trying to keep it as virgin as possible. NEVER just use a kext installer because someone said it *might* fix your problem. Often times you have no idea what kexts are getting replaced and alot of these "contributors" aren't even releasing their source code for their "fixes". On top of that, a lot of these installers are using hacked kexts as the basis for even more hacks and it's become a royal mess.

Well, it seems that after 10.5.7 I've lost auto-sleep. Sleep still works when selected from the Apple menu but not as a timed feature through energy settings. Still not sure why but would appreciate feedback from you guys on your experiences.

Also, I was playing with smbio.plist settings and temporarily fixed one up to mimic a 9,1 Imac. This works fine, but what I noticed is that you get popping Audio. It's crazy, and I can't think of any reasons as to why this would be, but I was able to replicate multiple times by swapping out the different plists.

So it appears smbios.plist can be an important component on these boards and with that I'll go ahead and show mine so people can make their own. You can make up your own serial number and my FSB/memory settings are unique to my system which is over-clocking a Q6600. One thing with my particular rev 1.1 UD3P is that it will get a looping reboot with a FSB higher than 390. This is a known issue and non-OSX specific.

Here is my smbios.plist that I use in /Extra.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>01234567890</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F2218EC8</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>390</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3120</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>780</string>

</dict>

</plist>

----------------

Now, for experimentation purposes, this is the iMac version that I was playing with that introduces POPPING AUDIO....eg, when any sound gets played, there is a noticeable *pop* at the beginning. This one has more information than the one above, not exactly sure what part of it is causing the issue....

Please feel free to experiment and see if we can nail it down!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM91.88Z.008D.B00.0901142258</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac9,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>01234567890</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Mac</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F2218EC8</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>390</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3120</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>780</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Well, it seems that after 10.5.7 I've lost auto-sleep. Sleep still works when selected from the Apple menu but not as a timed feature through energy settings. Still not sure why but would appreciate feedback from you guys on your experiences.

. One thing with my particular rev 1.1 UD3P is that it will get a looping reboot with a FSB higher than 390. This is a known issue and non-OSX specific.

Same board EP45-UD3P ver 1.1 lost Auto sleep after 10.5.7 update

My FSB is 438 I have no issue as you stated about reboot loop

Well, sounds like we all lost auto-sleep! I kind of got used to that just working with this board...

Bart86,

Can I ask about the use of smbios.plist vs. AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext? I was noticing that several threads have moved to the smbios.plist - I assume that t is just hard coding the values instead of programmatically finding them out? I was just trying to get a better understanding of the different methods...

Bart86,

Can I ask about the use of smbios.plist vs. AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext? I was noticing that several threads have moved to the smbios.plist - I assume that t is just hard coding the values instead of programmatically finding them out? I was just trying to get a better understanding of the different methods...

Well, Chameleon 2rc1 lets you "inject" values into the smbios table. The defaults get loaded with AppleSMBIOS.kext (a native OSX kext) and you can override values or add your own elements to that by adding values to /Extra/smbios.plist.

This is better solution to other approaches which use hacked replacement SMBIOS kexts to get a decent set of values. SMBIOSEFI.kext and a couple of others are examples of the later.

Hope that helps

How much RAM are you using and in what config (eg. 2 or 4 DIMMS)?