Insanely Mac Is One Ugly piece Of Website Designing

26 posts in this topic

Basically The Layout and Look of This Forum Sucks, Not Just this one but any other forum i've signed up to. looks, feel and works the same.

it is as if it is a generic Template everybody is just cutting and pasting and saying "oh yeah i've stared an online Forum Website"

Now i know For most of us Hacintosh users this is the starting point in our journey to freedom, but once we adhere to the mac Culture of think Differently. one should think you should have found a way to rethink the way forum websites are created.

for one is not user-friendly ( Most of the noobs who post silly questions instead of looking up the topic are just alienated by the way this website was created)

One thing i've noticed since converting to the Mac, is there are some really smart Programmers out there. that even Microsoft Doesn't Know of.

i Know the Insanely Great Community has some really brilliant DVD makers and Programmers to Boast of, But i cant say that of those who designed and Implemented this site.

Yes call it what you want "I said It"

Biting The hand That Feeds Me

i think In the End Our Goal In Spending so much Time to Making Sure We Use The Mac, One should think U would start using the left side of your brain and Construct this forum from the ground Up. with all the signatures of osx out there. that even a 12 year old mac programmers would incorporate in their Mac apps and web designing.

Because This Website Forum Definitely Reeks of C++ and maybe Publisher

There're Tons of way To re-think the way to write his website to look work and feel more like a creative genius Website.

PHP, Ajax, Rub on Rails you just Name it.

Steve Jobs and The rest of apple would even be Disappointed by your lack of creativity in trynna live of their Culture

So i think you have a few choices

try to re-think the way Forums are created and designed and Show the rest of the Internet Forum Community How Osx is Done.

or just Fall in-line and go and buy out the next forum layout a Publisher Website designer Does and do a bad job in even using it

So for all those who pass thru

List your experience and annoyance using This Website (based on Web Site Design and Interface)

I'll Go first

1. i'll like to see more CSS, Ajax, PHP and Other Web Applications Infused In the Forum Design, and More Server based programming.

2. Like to see Less Square "{censored}" Looking Boxes of Replies and Topics and Would Like To See a More Fluid Look Of Things Maybe a Twitter View or Somffin

3. More Icons as navigation and less words Like "Top" "Quote" "reply" Could all Be Replaced With icons Instead and so much more on this site.

4. Put people Signatures In Their card Section of their Post instead of Confusing it with the rest of the more important content of the post "this Has To Have a More Refine Listed out layout Then"

5. Posting a topic or Reply doesnt exactly look welcoming either

6. i'll like to see more Social networking features incorporated, and many USEFUL Web app for that Matter and I stress on Useful.

7. How come i never feel that all my PM went thru and i dont have a log for all me sent messages

8. you're trailing behind when it comes to OSX news and rumors. I find myself coming here less and less so I'm echoing a Post I saw "Front Page Not Updating" http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161908

9. Now where is that "Post topic Button"

10. These Site Admins are Arrogant Big Brothers Just Watching Over Us, so Make Sure To Mark as Interesting To get Their Attention

Seriously? This site is about sharing information and not about showing off visually. Hey, but thats just MHO.

Cheers,

hecker

What about the Web Site Designing elements like Ajax, PHP, Ruby on Rails.

plus i think a Mac User Would Know the importance of Practically Using Visuals or Other elements to make The User Experience more Fulfilling. After-all thats been the trade mark of the Mac Right

plus i think a Mac User Would Know the importance of Practically Using Visuals or Other elements to make The User Experience more Fulfilling. After-all thats been the trade mark of the Mac Right

I kind'of agree with what you're saying. But simply adding more technology, doesn't necessarily make an application (or in this case this website) better (does a MS windows theme make the OS better?). A well structured website can be both visually appealing and efficient without any fancy technology.

PS: Ajax, PHP and Ruby are NOT website designing elements at all. In fact, they are just programming languages.

Are you serious?

Most of the websites I go on are forums, and they are designed almost exactly like this. For people to mistake some of the universal buttons that characterizes a forum, that is just plain stupid.

But I do agree with you about the n00bs part. The problem is, the average person does not know what a kext is, let alone most of the other terminology. In that case, most people are just like me. They depend on easy-to-use instructions. So, to remedy this, we should have two install forums, not just one. They would be for n00bs, and the other for more advanced members of the community.

What do you know about design? You are randomly capitalizing words that don't need it!

Now I agree with you that I am apart of many forums that could make things MUCH simpler but for some reason they havent changed at all, so what I'll do is learn PHP and write a better site and see if I can get it around (just an idea for now).

I kind'of agree with what you're saying. But simply adding more technology, doesn't necessarily make an application (or in this case this website) better (does a MS windows theme make the OS better?). A well structured website can be both visually appealing and efficient without any fancy technology.

PS: Ajax, PHP and Ruby are NOT website designing elements at all. In fact, they are just programming languages.

Let Me Slow Down The Tempo A Bit, Because It looks Like People Are getting me wrongly

I get what you're saying, and i know A theme Wouldn't necessarily make a site better

but i didn't mean that either as i know Ajax, Php and Ruby are all Programming Languages. if i didn't put it right i meant Re-writing this Website from scratch. using more other Responsive languages, and Incorporating more web Applications. to make the user experience more Fluid

Not just merely an Interface change

I don't know how you do it But Wouldn't it be Great If There Was an RSS Feature for reply of post so that people would instinctively know what topics replies just came in. "But Not Just On The Front page News Screen"

which is almost hidden by the way

and I Know A Lot of people would Appreciate it if Individual Signatures were Void of the main post so that People know where one content specific post Starts and another ends.

and what about cascading a lot of the "Reply", "Top", "Quote" Buttons to their Feeds and Maybe a Simple Comment Box at the End Of the Thread. Kinda like the way Facebook Does their Status update

Plus i've noticed post that are even one line in length get, One Huge Post Box to emcompass the User's min-card and Status

What I'd like To say is forum design has come a way, from looking at the way the first OSX86 Wiki project

has evolved into This, there's Gotta be a next step

What makes This Forum different from others is, here There's a real Community of people helping each other. around one focal point. Thus Where The OSX Community Means much more another Forum.

People Know Each others names, Like Herker Here, JaSSer and Others.

We laugh at Noobs for posting Silly Questions and point them in the right direction.

we'll Shoot down any

In the End What I'm saying its lacking the basic Social Networking features that would otherwise make getting things done faster. especially an in house simple Chat Feature. you'll find people would be able to help others better that way than post after post. and only leave post for helpful guiding post.

because i Know For a Fact Noons don't get any attention in the various IRC Chat Rooms

and Why not it Be Designed By People Who Understand the value of genius simplifying the user experience with practical Changes To the way the web site was created.

not just interface Tweaks and themes, we already have that

i'm talking of a complete overhaul, Building a forum from the ground up.

Are you serious?

Most of the websites I go on are forums, and they are designed almost exactly like this. For people to mistake some of the universal buttons that characterizes a forum, that is just plain stupid.

But I do agree with you about the n00bs part. The problem is, the average person does not know what a kext is, let alone most of the other terminology. In that case, most people are just like me. They depend on easy-to-use instructions. So, to remedy this, we should have two install forums, not just one. They would be for n00bs, and the other for more advanced members of the community.

Thats What i meant its is a generic Template These forums Created By someone Being used by all

But I'm just saying it could have been so much better and easier to use.

and i'm not just talking interface changes, but real programming changes to how the website works to improve the user experience.

for one take away the individual Signatures and put the Post in a more fluid way so that people see what is real relevant. to their topic. seeing as it being an informative website you need to remove all the clutter

I don't think Two separate forums would cut it, just take a look at the first OSX86 forum and How helpful it was till this one came along and how helpful it is, why separate them.

and i think its less of a noob issue. People would figure it out in time and get along fine, But Accepting it couldn't have been better......

What do you know about design? You are randomly capitalizing words that don't need it!

Now I agree with you that I am apart of many forums that could make things MUCH simpler but for some reason they havent changed at all, so what I'll do is learn PHP and write a better site and see if I can get it around (just an idea for now).

and I never Claim to know much about design but i could tell you good and practical designing when i see one.

I might get some term wrong but you guys know what i mean. might have been a little thoughtless with my word play but you guys know what i meant.

plus i'm taking your suggesting into consideration but I just Thought I'd Tell the people in the position to do something about it right now first.

imageuploadimageg.jpg

Seriously, 1) this is not your website and 2) you don't have to use the default theme (see popup box in bottom left).

Quit your bitching, seeing as clearly you don't know anything about website design yourself. Granted, the site is ugly, and performs badly. But that doesn't give you the right to say they're doing it wrong and should redo it when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Not only that, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because some of us think the design is {censored}, doesn't mean everyone else does. Unfortunately for your whiny do-things-my-way attitude, the people who maintain receive profit from this site seem partial the current theme. Chances are it won't change.

GET OVER IT.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lol and most people replying are so new themselves, imo this is a forum for learning, in no way the wooden floor boards look good, this design hasn't changed for a very long time, it's not only by the design its the database it's so messy that search for something little can take a long while to find the right thing, it's a forum I agree, it's PHP which most boards work off, But keeping a site upto date keeps people excited and makes them stay and it welcomes more new people. This site lacks updates, the frontpage hardly gets updates, the responses have slowed down in this forum not like they used to be, more and more people just join to read a guide then disappear because they got there system working.

i think you didnt think about performance and usability posting such things like "we need more ajax and php"

1) this forums software is a good piece of php development work...

2) usability: not everyone has javascript or flash enabled... it would be stupid to make a template with this and i grant you 70% of all users wont see it. Statistics of W3 etc show you that people are still using IE6 and a resolution of 1024x768px...

I work for a design agency so please don't post anything about you dont have a clue what it is.

This webtemplate is simple, clear and nice looking. it has a great usability for the most webbrowsers and resolutions.

i think you didnt think about performance and usability posting such things like "we need more ajax and php"

1) this forums software is a good piece of php development work...

2) usability: not everyone has javascript or flash enabled... it would be stupid to make a template with this and i grant you 70% of all users wont see it. Statistics of W3 etc show you that people are still using IE6 and a resolution of 1024x768px...

I work for a design agency so please don't post anything about you dont have a clue what it is.

This webtemplate is simple, clear and nice looking. it has a great usability for the most webbrowsers and resolutions.

You working for a design agency doesn't mean anything man, I also know design and about how the web is transforming in terms of technology so you don't need to tell me that.

Go update your statistics 1024x768 has gone out the window already :) as from WC3 20% use 1024x768, 76% use higher so don't talk about rubiish dude if you don't have the facts.

Every designer knows a website should be updated frequently, Go read Steve Krugs book about Web usability and then you will at least know better then you do.

You working for a design agency doesn't mean anything man, I also know design and about how the web is transforming in terms of technology so you don't need to tell me that.

Go update your statistics 1024x768 has gone out the window already :| as from WC3 20% use 1024x768, 76% use higher so don't talk about rubiish dude if you don't have the facts.

Every designer knows a website should be updated frequently, Go read Steve Krugs book about Web usability and then you will at least know better then you do.

Here are your statistics! http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

My Resolution, which is 1920x1080px is at 1,97%, 1280x1024px is at 10,88% and 1024x768px is still the first place 25,41%

And on top there is still the Internet Explorer (all versions) with 46,9%....

If you're a real designer you know the work for making a website usable for all browsers ans resolutions out there...

You cannot make a website looking nice for this 1,97% ^^