End The Whine Day - May 20th

Swad

180 posts in this topic

I thought I would add my 2 cents in here. I just bought my MBP Pro last week and when I asked about the CPU whine, LCD buzz, and heat issues, the Apple Store Employee told me they received all new MBPs the same day the MBs came out which fixed the whine, buzz, and heat issues. Apple instructed them to return all their MBPs they have in stock for 'refit' :hysterical: .

Mine has no CPU whine or LCD Buzz. It does get warm but I'm not sure about 'hot' though 'hot' is such a relative term.

MBP 15"

2.16 GHz

1 Gig of Ram

256 MB Video

100 Gig HD (they were out of anything larger)

Hope this info helps!

-P

im surprised you owners of the macbook are being so tolerant of this. When i buy a product, especially one that takes AGES to save up for (like the MBP), i expect near perfection, if not total perfection. I do not put up with design flaws of any kind. i have had many a PDA phone that i have been annoyed with because of design flaws and Im certainly not going to accept it from an extremely expensive laptop! Why arent we demanding apple to give us our money back?

first post but an interesting one!

I found and App called CoreDuoTemp: http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/

It uses a framework or something like that from: http://speedit.increw.org/

Interesting thing on speedit saying:

Some of the users of SpeedIt reported a bug related to the readout of the temperature, we have been tested the digital readout and we discovered that the problem is related to a bug in the microprocessor.

The bug is documented by Intel and happend only in some processors and is the following:

AE18 Processor Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) Readout stops updating upon returning from C3/C4 state. (Source Intel Corp.)

maybe not apple's fault? My girlfriend's mbp only shows a temp of 15 degrees C all the time! Even when the bit above the F keys is too hot to touch! havn't called apple yet!

Our “End the Whine Day” for MacBook Pro owners has come and gone. Was it a success?

Yes, it was. We had several people post in our forums who say they were working for Apple and didn’t get many calls. Since we can’t verify if these members actually do work for Steve and the gang, we should stick with what we know.

We do know that MBP owners from around the world did call in on Saturday based on reports on this forum, IRC, Digg, and other blogs we’ve been keeping up with. More importantly, we know that we raised the visibility of the issue – the most important effect an effort like this can have. Finally, we heard some great stories and sent the message that we as Apple users (current and potential) are concerned with the company’s quality.

I was surprised we didn’t hear more reports about calling in and the response wasn’t quite as large as I had anticipated. Nevertheless, the day accomplished its purpose and did so in grand fashion. To all those who took part, thank you. It was certainly a good day for all Apple owners.

Some people have suggested that the whine can be solved by modifying the MBP throttle values in the info.plist of the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext. I found that modifying the throttling ratios and deleting the kext had no effect. However, I when I altered the permissions of the file so that I owned it instead of the system the wine was solved. When I boot up I get an error message that says the kext file was improperly installed (no duh, it's out of System/Wheel so the root can't call it up), however, and for a reason that I can't understand the whine is solved.

I would be interested to see if anyone can replicate this result.

FD