End The Whine Day - May 20th

Swad

180 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, A-Tizzle. Sorry that you've had such a rough time with your MBP.

It seems that Apple has advised all of its employees not to acknowledge that the whining issue is an actual problem.

That's the exact problem we're trying to fix - all we want is at least a mention of it from Apple. It's sad that for such a widespread problem, nothing has been said so far.

This is a great idea (chiming in after so many similar posts, I know).

I went to my local Apple store after talking to support on the phone who advised me to do so, and for the first time in 14 years of owning Apple computers, left feeling like I should switch FROM Apple. It seemed to me too that there was a party line of not acknowledging any problems.

So let's clog the lines, speak out en masse.

After a week of using my MBP (w8611....) the whining stopped!!!

I didn´t do anything special

I did notice though that WinXp (under BootcamP ) never whined.

CoreDuo Temp reports normal (near 59C) temps and low procesor usage

It seems to me that there needs to be more effort of the part of the Mac community to inform potential consumers about the problem (rather than just focussing on whining to Apple). Sure, the information is out there ... it doesn't coming accross the radar screen that much when you're not searching for it specifically.

When I bought my MacBook two weeks ago, I had heard about the whining issue but didn't realize the extent of the problem. I also assumed that Mac would eventually release a fix of some sort. When I found out that wasn't the case, I immediately returned the machine for a refund.

Money speaks. If their sales (and their stock) starts to suffer, Apple will definately start paying attention.

After a week of using my MBP (w8611....) the whining stopped!!!

I didn´t do anything special

I did notice though that WinXp (under BootcamP ) never whined.

CoreDuo Temp reports normal (near 59C) temps and low procesor usage

Maybe after a week of installing applications you had enough programs launching automatically at boot/login that your processor was never idling completely? Try booking in safe mode and see if it's still quiet.

The only thing you guys are going to accomplish is making the lives of a couple hundred wage slaves miserable for a few hours.

why not just call and report the problem, explain that you WILL expect a repair when the issue is figured out, and get a case number.

or get a refund. if you don't like what apple considers "within spec" make them give you your money back. a silent macbook is not your birthright. if enough people returned the unit as unacceptable instead of just exchanging it for one with the same problem, or sending it in for repair when it's obvious the cause is unknown, the issue might get fixed.

smacking a corporation where it hurts, the pocketbook, is the way to get things fixed. giving phone agents a hard time is not.

Believe it or not the issue is NOT being reported to apple in the volume you guys think it is. about 95% of the volume through applecare is people wanting to know how to burn or add an icon to the dock.

just my 2 bits.

have fun berating the underpaid. you can say that's not your goal all you want, but you know it's what the end result will be.

why not just call and report the problem, explain that you WILL expect a repair when the issue is figured out, and get a case number.

That's what most all will be doing. We're not there to tie up the phone lines - we're going to ask a few polite, short questions.

if you don't like what apple considers "within spec" make them give you your money back. a silent macbook is not your birthright.

Nope... but it is what one expects for close to $3000. And it's not just the whine, it's the heat, poor build quality, uneven screen lighting, bad latches... the list goes on...

Believe it or not the issue is NOT being reported to apple in the volume you guys think it is.

While this sounds like speculation, we're going to remedy that problem if it's true. ;)

have fun berating the underpaid.

Berating? No. Calling and doing what you mention above? Yes.

I was just wondering, Why Saturday??? The only people that will be their any Appplecare agents who will have to charge you £35 to troubleshoot the issue. Customer relations are closed on saturday.

I get why you want to do it.. but i dont see what a tech support agent can do about it... :)

Even if the cusotmer has a APP or is in the first three month of cover...

All a agent can do is to send the customer to a Apple Service Provider to look at the issue...

Over the phone these nothing that could be done, besides making a complaint which you would have to send a letter to Cork or speak to CR (which are closed)

also the first Macbook pro was released on January 10, 2006 so some people will be out of cover

Saturday was a good day to call for it since most people are off work. Sadly, that also includes a lot of tech support people. :)

I'd encourage everyone who wants to to call before Saturday - it's not the date that matters, it's the unified statement (which can happen any day). I'll still be calling sales on Saturday. :blink:

Even if the cusotmer has a APP or is in the first three month of cover...

All a agent can do is to send the customer to a Apple Service Provider to look at the issue...

Over the phone these nothing that could be done, besides making a complaint which you would have to send a letter to Cork or speak to CR (which are closed)

also the first Macbook pro was released on January 10, 2006 so some people will be out of cover

I called and didn't get sent to a service provider - i returned my macbook pro to them and both the inverter buzz and whining was fixed amd returned withing a week.

Just wanted to say... go get 'em guys! I myself am a MBP owner, but I don't seem to have any of these problems. I will admit, it will get hot at times during high loads, but other than that it has been great. No noise issues at all.

I am running W8617 version, so perhaps they have addressed these issues.

Anyways, best of luck to you all. I hope this open their eyes.

Thanks for choosing May 20 so this won't disrupt the opening of the new Manhattan Apple Store on Friday. :) I'm going to try to make the opening, and may actually decide to get a MacBook Pro there. If it whines, I suppose I can return to the store the next day and join the movement...

How about "Operation Hard Cider" as a name for the movement? You know -- "apple wine"?

Regarding the 17" MacBook Pros... is it possible something about the larger layout makes them quieter, as opposed to Apple having actually solved the original problem?

Regarding press attention... I don't recall David Pogue writing about this issue. Maybe some people with problems could write to him?

I'm pretty sure it's happening with all of them, from what I've read.

Reports on the Apple Forums suggest that the new MacBooks (non pro) have them too.

People! Im buying some Macs ( im in Japan ) and asked about MBP 17" dark screen issue.. check it out!

email:

Thanks for information. We have plans to switch all Windows based PC in our

office to new intel Mac's. This will include one MacBook Pro 17" with 2GB RAM

and 100GB HDD Sata 7200RPM, one MacBook 2.0 with 2GB RAM and 80GB HDD, one

MacBook 1.83 standard and one iMac 20" standard configuration. How can we deal

with this order? I heard something about 17" MBP screen that have some users

complaining about bright issue and dark places on screen, so im thinking to go

to one Apple Store to get this one so i can check it by myself. Anyway if you

can send me the total for this order it will help us until we decide to order

it.

Answer Email from Online Apple Store

Dear Alexandre Fabri,

Thank you for your email!

I will attach the quotation for your configuration, so please take a look at

it. And I can totally place an order for you through this email or via a

telephone. As for your questions about the problem of 17" MBP, it is fixed

for this new model, so you will be okay now.

At the Apple retail store, you can not customize your computer, so I think

placing orders from us would be better for you.

Anyway, if you have some questions just let me know! I'd be happy to help

you! Thank you for your business at Apple again.

Sincerely yours,

Apple Computer Japan

I will definately be joining.

I think this is a great way to get Apple to speak publicaly about the whine. It really annoys me how they have being playing stupid the whole way though!

It is my understanding that many people have called in, that in the last three hours the Idaho call center has recieved the same amount of calls as they do in the entire course of the Saturday shift. What you are doing is admirable but remember to try to not be too hard on the techs they have no say in what happens with the building of the equipment. They are just bottom rung minimum wage monkeys. Congrats on ruining some poor shmucks weekend. Hope none of these high-strung over extended people kill themselves because you put them over the edge. Much luck to you in your endevor.

It is my understanding that many people have called in, that in the last three hours the Idaho call center has recieved the same amount of calls as they do in the entire course of the Saturday shift.

Wow, where did you hear that? That's pretty incredible if true.

What you are doing is admirable but remember to try to not be too hard on the techs they have no say in what happens with the building of the equipment.

Exactly. That's why on our website - whine.osx86project.org - we tell everyone to be kind and not take up too much of the techs' time.

Congrats on ruining some poor shmucks weekend. Hope none of these high-strung over extended people kill themselves because you put them over the edge.

Talk about a worse-case scenario... :offtopic:

FWIW, I'm getting ready to call sales and ask about these things. Will report back.

I have several inside sources who are reporting to me about the way it is all working out. Many of them agree with your cause but they don't like the fact that they have to work today. Next time they email me I will let you guys know.... Good luck