End The Whine Day - May 20th

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,711 posts
It doesn’t take very long in the Apple support forum (and elsewhere) to discover the main issues on the minds of MacBook Pro owners – the majority have issues with whining and heat. Apple seems to be taking these annoyances very lightly, and as such, something needs to be done.

Many of you have been promised by Apple tech people that your problem would be fixed in the next generation… and it wasn’t. Many people have been told that the "sound is normal" - for the price you paid for the unit, it isn't.

Some have heard from the Geniuses that their uncomfortable heat is “within spec” while other have had to void their warranty to fix the problem. All of this has got to stop. We need to let Apple know we're tired of them not paying attention to our complaints. So here's what I suggest we do.

On May 20th, everyone with a MacBook Pro that has whining and heat issues should call Apple Support and tell them about it. If thousands of affected MBP owners call on the same day on the same topic, Apple will be forced to address the issue (not to mention the press such an effort will get!)

This is our best way to hold Apple accountable and it's our duty to make sure they know we won't tolerate hacks and unsupported fixes to fix an issue that shouldn't be there. This is nothing malicious and we do it with the most admirable of reasons – telling Apple we love their characteristically high quality and want to ensure it remains. Besides, we pay for the ability to call technical support when have an issue.

Help us spread the word – post on your favorite Mac forums and let the world’s MacBook Pro owners know their solution is at hand.

So, mark Saturday May 20th on your calendar - it's the day the whining ends!

Let us know if you plan to join us.

Digg this and tell the world!

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Great idea Mash. The revolution of the Macbook Pro owners. BTW, I think this would be a great article to put on the Front Page.

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
ill do it. the whine is quite annoying, but it seems to have lessened a whole lot after the update of firmware.

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
What exactly is the whine coming from? Forgive me for asking the question, but I haven't heard anything about what is causing it.

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
Firmware update seemed to be completely unrelated to the whine i was experiencing.

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
im pretty sure there are 2 whines. one is from the inverter, relating to the screen brightness, and one is from the processor idling.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,711 posts
Well, we may not need to do this whole campaign if they've fixed it...

This seems like hopeful post - this guy just got a new one and his revision runs cooler and has no whine. (The forum doesn't seem to like the link to Apple's forum... scroll down to HeraldMage's post)

If a few other people can confirm that the newer revisions are being fixed, the problem may be moot.

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts
I hope they fixed it and this doesnt have to go down. I do technical support all day long... something like this would scare me...

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
I just went to CompUSA today. I used the Macbook Pro that they had there. It was completely silent. They're alot nicer than the picture. I want one. But yes, I think Apple finally fixed the whine.

nathansvt

nathansvt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
the whine is not fixed. maybe reduced in volume or frequency of occurence, but not gone.

I'm on my 2nd MBP, this one a week 14 unit. It still has the CPU whine.

coreyt

coreyt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
All I can say is;

"Whine, Apple Users. Whine."

and as Apple free hardware owners are praising their generic components, for what little of them they have actually been able to get working on OSx86. It shall be praised. And as much as I wish my parents would buy me (hoping at the end of the year for my Uni going away present) a Mac, the likelyhood of that happening is almost ZIP and I have plans to upgrade my PC to, currently a AMD Athlon64 4800+ Dual Core CPU. Roughly I am guesstimating by the time that Vista is released/shorly after the release, you should see a huge pricedrop on PC Components. If not, my plan is ruined (LOL). But yeah in the end, all you Apple go aheaders, buyers, etc.

And as I have said in my last post about the Thermal Paste in MacBook Pro's that Apple as a Multinational Corporation, should be acting accordingly towards little things such as the Thermal Paste, clueless stuff-ups. Seriously if they are going to base their productline on Hardware, they need to respect their own hardware. Respect yourself before you resepect the man (as a moth fly's blindlessly onto my screen in the pitch darkness that surrounds me, apart from the glowing street-sign hanging on my wall).

Peace Out it's 1:43AM and School Awaits in 6.25hrs.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,711 posts
It seems like even user with new units are still having issues.

Here's the digg link - if you want to spread the word, digg it!

dualBooter

dualBooter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Heya all,

I know someone whose laptop running Tiger is having NO heat or whine issues at all..... oh.... wait.... that's because his laptop is made by HP......... Neeeverrrrrr Miiiiiiiind.

Seriously though, I see that this has been dug already, and perhaps someone with a Slashdot (posting) account might want to post there as well, since we all know that Slashdot has enough readers to bring many sites to a grind from readers going there after reading a /. article. That would definitely help spread the May 20 message.

9mmCensor

9mmCensor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This will just clog up the queues for normal tech support reasons. Having a mass submition of complains via the phone will have the same impact to get something fixed (phone agents log a complain, and eventually the data aggregates that data and finds a trend) as submitting feedback to apple via there website http://www.apple.com.../powerbook.html (pick macbook pro) only there is less time to notice the trend (simply analyze the data rather than look for all the complaints in the tech support DB) and it doesn't effect queue times.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,711 posts
9mmCensor-

Great point about the queue times. Although that's partially the point. Apple will either 1) release a statement before May 20 so that their tech support won't be tied up or 2) will be sorry they didn't when all their tech people get calls on May 20 about 2 issues.

I hope it's the former - either way, Apple will get the hint.

Surpher

Surpher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Snowboard, Surf, Windsurf, Apple Co.
Well, I have both of these annoyances coming out of my MacBook Pro. I'm from Slovenia. I did go back to the reseller where I bought the machine and told them what I'm experiencing. They said that they and Apple are aware of it and they are getting rid of the problems in future revisions. Me? I have to live with it since Apple did not release anything callback for the MacBook Pros. It pisses me off since I paid 2400 euros for the damn machine (1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB hdd) and I can't concentrate when writing articles or doing anything - the CPU whining. And I can't use it on my lap because of the heat. Even using the laptop keyboard is sometimes uncomfortable because of the heat coming from the computer.

Anyone has an idea wether I can call the Apple support (in U.S., UK?) as well, since there is no Apple store here, only this one reseller that ignores my computers problems?

Though, I found out that if I use Apple Wireless Keyboard, the whine disappears! The heat is still there.

Danman

Danman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
My Intel Mac Mini is a bit buzzy/whiney - anyone else with a mini get any noise?

I think we should join in if its a common problem, but I haven't heard anyone else complain of this with a mini?

I just don't know if its a 'normal' level of noise for a mini - if you go into a store then you'll never be able to tell as its never quiet enough and there are loads of other computers making some noise.

Anyone help me out with a gauge to what I should expect to hear (sorry this is off topic now really)

wragen22

wragen22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm in! I'm marking may 20th in my calendar.

eradicator006

eradicator006

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Here's something weird....I get the CPU whine on my P4 2.8ghz running OS X. It makes a slight whining noise when I move a window around the screen. I don't get this in Win XP. I used a Macbook Pro and it had the same exact problem in OSX but not in XP. My guess is that it's something to do with the intel chips.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,711 posts

I'm in! I'm marking may 20th in my calendar.

Great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy