Linux ram usage

fat chris

15 posts in this topic

i have suse 10.1 rc2 (about to upgrade tp rc3) and a noticed in ksysguard that it was using almost all 1gb of my ram and using only about 4kb on average of swap space, this does go up sometimes. it was also doing this in fc5 and i cant remember about slackware. does anyone know why this could be, because i dont think this is normal?

Actually every modern OS will use the whole phisycal RAM after a while, most of it being allocated to disk cache (buffers in linux). Check the usage in console with "free" command and see with and w/out buffers cache.

Actually every modern OS will use the whole phisycal RAM after a while, most of it being allocated to disk cache (buffers in linux). Check the usage in console with "free" command and see with and w/out buffers cache.

Actually he's right. It's not like windows :). Something we/I sometimes forget.

admin@dapper:~$ free
		 total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached
Mem:	   1555256	1509672	  45584		  0	  71252	1051204
-/+ buffers/cache:	 387216	1168040
Swap:	   979956		220	 979736

well i just messed up the install as i installed the ati drivers and all i get is a yellow screen, still with cursor and all stuff is there i just cant see it. so im gonna install again and check it out. but why do you think it wasnt using hardly any swap space?

It's not using swap, because it does not need to. Swapping is very slow when compared to RAM speed. This means that the machine will generally only write in swap when there is no other option- it has already filled up all the RAM (not with disk buffer, but actual program data). Even Gentoo on my old box with 256Mb of ram is using swap very rarely. Only when for example has Amarok with like 8000 songs in the background and Gimp open with a big image file in it.

ATI support on Linux is minimal. You will have to contact ATI about that.

Furthermore, on SUSE Linux 10, my computer uses 256 MB RAM MINIMUM, of course, I also got it to run on a 128 MB RAM machine...

xboxrulz

cheers for your help! anyone know anything about why the ati drivers make me get a yellow screen? i have no 3d accel so cant play some games and im also stuck at 16bit.

Do you use the ATI driver from the Distro (only MESA, without 3D) or do you have downloaded and installed the latest from the ATI homepage?

i got them from ati. i used this guide because i thought i might have been doing something wrong. but they dont load. when i type fglrxinfo it still says mesa. so i repeat step whatever like it says but nothing changes. i dont think there were any errors with the install. have any ideas?

i got them from ati. i used this guide because i thought i might have been doing something wrong. but they dont load. when i type fglrxinfo it still says mesa. so i repeat step whatever like it says but nothing changes. i dont think there were any errors with the install. have any ideas?

The guide your are using is for Suse10 and the 8.16.20 drivers (old).

If you are using this guide you should create a rpm for Suse 10.1 and not for 10.0. If you have already done this and it's still not working for you, go to Yast2 and delete your fglrx rpm.

Once you delete your rpm with Yast2 (important), download the latest 8.24.8 driver and install it without creating a rpm.

Start it as root:

install1xn.th.jpg

Choose install drivers:

screen19lx.th.jpg

Choose automatic:

screen29gc.th.jpg

Now open a shell and type:

su

/usr/X11R6/bin/aticonfig --initial

reboot

Once you have rebooted type as user in a shell:

fglrxinfo

fglrxinfo8jb.th.jpg

If this method is also not working you should contact the ATI support and give them all the details about your hardware and what you have already tried.

yes i used the latest drivers because they are the only ones that support my card and i did create the rpm for 10.1. it wont let me delete it as it says its locked, so when i try to delete it anyway its still there when i open up the software mangement thing again.

yes i used the latest drivers because they are the only ones that support my card and i did create the rpm for 10.1. it wont let me delete it as it says its locked, so when i try to delete it anyway its still there when i open up the software mangement thing again.

Click on Apply in Yast2 after you change the symbol for this rpm in a trash, then it should work.

Or use the shell to deinstall a rpm: rpm -e name_of_your_rpm