[Guide] Script to Install Chameleon v2RC1 to EFI-Partition (Munky method)

CoolEdit

Vote for it!  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is this post useful for you?

• Is this post useful for you?

41 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Here is a Script to Install Chameleon v2RC1 to your EFI-Partition with customizable selection of extensions according to Munkys method.

EFI-Boot-i386 is a transcription of the "EPOS I.-Script" from nameless2k.

###

# WEATHER EPOS I. nor derivate works like this (EFI-Boot-i386) MAY BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.

###

Further readings are there: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1016724

This script brings you a automated install of new chameleon bootloader v2RC1 to your EFI-Partition according to Munkys method.

Further readings are there: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

Load it down from http://www.mediafire.com/?kz3unzkmz3m

:(:):P:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Made new script version - to load down from http://www.mediafire.com/file/yk42vzjntmz/...oot-i386-v3.zip

It's now possible to select harddisk on wich to install EFI-Boot-Partition!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So first of all, I have to thank especially namless2k, Munky, and the chameleon team and all the other people like pcwiz who make great efforts to get this working for making this possible.

The script operates in two modes:

1. First time installation with creating a fully working boot environment on your EFI-Partition (wich you can't see in your finder). The necessary input can (like in EPOS I.) be provided by an SlimBuild-Preboot or by putting the kext you need into the extensions-folder

2. updating extensions and themes (without changing anything to boot-mechanism).

So, what u need:

1. SlimBuild-Preboot standard compatible CD with the necessary kexts for your PC

2. Original Leopard DVD

3. EFI-Boot-i386-Pack wich contains Chameleon v2RC1 and all scripts

If you have already an installed OS X (whatever via Boot-132 or a modified OS X) Start below with step 4

So, what u do:

1. Install Leopard using a SlimBuild-Preboot standard compatible CD (find links to tested disks below)

2. Boot installed Leopard using the SlimBuild-Preboot CD again

3. Wait, till desktop is ready

4. Unpack EFI-Boot-i386-Pack to yor MAC HD

5 a. Alternative A: Installation using the extensions from your SlimBuild-Preboot CD

Leave your SlimBuild-Preboot CD mounted. The script will copy the extensions from SlimBuild-Preboot CD into the "EFI-Boot-i386/extensions" Folder

5 b. Alternative B: Installation using your customized extensions

Unmount your SlimBuild-Preboot CD (important).

Important! Put necessary extensions (consider your hardware and 10.5.x needs) in your "EFI-Boot-i386/extensions" folder (as well as new Chameleon themes, you may download from the web). I put in the package no extensions! I you haven't the necessary and/or right kext in your "EFI-Boot-i386/extensions" Folder, the system won't boot probably. So your SlimBuild-Preboot CD will be your assurance to get the system up.

6. Run script as ROOT from Terminal.app . Leave your SlimBuild-Preboot CD mounted for the first time u do this otherwise the extensions in your "EFI-Boot-i386/extensions" folder are being used.

sudo -s

<your Password>

7. Go to the EFI-Boot-i386-Folder

cd /volumes/<your MAC HD>/EFI-Boot-i386

8. Run script

./Make-EFI-Boot-Now-v3.sh (the older versions are enclosed too: v1 is working)

9. If you only want to update extensions or themes choose "C" at prompt

10. Unmount SlimBuild-Preboot (if you are using

11. Reboot and let Apple's autoinstaller grab the newest updates

12. Enjoy!

If you correct possible errors or find ways to make it better working, feel free ..

CoolEdit

*yawn*

The Chameleon installer supports EFI setups.

1. creating a fully working boot environment on your EFI-Partition (wich you can't see in your finder). The necessary input can (like in EPOS I.) be provided by an SlimBuild-Preboot or by putting the kext you need into the Extensions-Folder

2. updating extensions and themes (without changing anything to boot-mechanism).

I have not tried this script but Hara Taiki failed again in his troll rage.

The Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg does not allow pre-installation of ALL the kexts that I need in my EFI partition. Only a minimum few. As well, there is not update script with Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg.

I tried this and it seems to work, but my system never loads the kexts on the EFI partition and my boot just stalls out.

What board, os, etc. are u using? If you haven't the right kext, they won't load or cause kernel panic. Try the kext from your Slimbuild-CD!

CoolEdit

Gigabyte EP45-DS3, OS X 10.6 Build 9G55 OOTB, EFI-Partition Boot, Intel Core Duo T8400, 3.06 GHz, Radeon HD 3870, 2 x SAMSUNG 180 GB S-ATA

I tried this and it seems to work, but my system never loads the kexts on the EFI partition and my boot just stalls out.

Yea, this script only works if you don't use it on any other retail/distribution other then the one that you are using. This means that you either need to get a Boot-132 disk working or you need to get another minimal munky install working on that retail install. Then upgrade with this script. The author (not cooledit) should have made this work like wolfienuke's script. wolfienuke's script had features that if EPOS had, it would be perfect.

Cooledit, maybe you could merge features that are useful for each. Wolfienuke disappeared (father died and doesn't post anymore) and you should use his code because the hackintosh community needs your help. Link to wolfienuke's post

Hi folks,

Her is a Script to Install Chameleon v2RC1 to your EFI-Partition according to Munkys method.

EFI-Boot-i386 is a transcription of the "EPOS I.-Script" from nameless2k.

Further readings are there: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1016724

This script brings you a automated install of new chameleon bootloader v2RC1 to your EFI-Partition according to Munkys method.

Further readings are there: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

Load it down from http://www.mediafire.com/file/jh3m32cwwgt/EFI-Boot-i386.zip

So first of all, I have to thank especially namless2k, Munky, and the chameleon team and all the other people like pcwiz who make great efforts to get this working for making this possible.

1. creating a fully working boot environment on your EFI-Partition (wich you can't see in your finder). The necessary input can (like in EPOS I.) be provided by an SlimBuild-Preboot or by putting the kext you need into the Extensions-Folder

So, what u need:

1. SlimBuild-Preboot standard compatible CD with the necessary kexts for your PC

2. Original Leopard DVD

3. EFI-Boot-i386-Pack wich contains Chameleon v2RC1 and all scripts

So, what u do:

1. install Leopard using a SlimBuild-Preboot standard compatible CD (find links to tested disks below)

2. boot installed Leopard using the SlimBuild-Preboot CD again

3. Wait, till desktop is ready

4. unpack EFI-Boot-i386-Pack to yor MAC HD

5. run it as ROOT from a terminal (leave your SlimBuild-Preboot CD mounted for the first time u do this otherwise use the extensions in your EFI-Boot-i386/extensions Folder. I put in the package all extensions needed for a Gigabyte-EP45-DS3, wich will work on an EP35 either)

sudo -s

Input your Password

6. Go to the EFI-Boot-i386-Folder

cd /volumes/<your MAC HD>/EFI-Boot-i386

7. Run script

./Make-EFI-Boot-Now.sh

8. If you only want to update Extensions or themes choose "C" at prompt

9. unmount SlimBuild-Preboot

10. reboot and let Apple's autoinstaller grab the newest updates

11. Enjoy!

If you correct possible errors or find ways to make it better working, feel free ..

CoolEdit

Hi CoolEdit,

Thanks for the excellent script. I managed to install Chameleon V2RC1 to the EFI partition.

However I still have some minor queries which I hope you can clarify for me.

In step 7 on Run script ./Make-EFI-Boot-Now.sh, there is a section where it says

"copying everything to EFI partition"

||Coping

||-Kexts to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

||-Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

Q. Where are the Kexts & Boot.plist from? Is it from EFI-Boot-i386/extensions Folder?

In Step 8. If you only want to update Extensions or themes choose "C" at prompt.

Q. Where should I put the kexts that I need update? Is it in

a) EFI-Boot-i386/extensions Folder or

:wacko: /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions folder or

c) OS X partition /Extra/Extensions folder?

After mounting "mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI",using Pathfinder no kexts were in /EFI/Extra/Extensions folder. However when I try to copy kexts to the extensions folder, it says there is a file by the same name and ask whether I want it replace.

Why is it the kexts in Extensions folder are not visible?

What is the best way to update extensions.mkext and where is the correct folder to put the update kexts?

Thanks again for the excellent work and have a good day.

Yea, this script only works if you don't use it on any other retail/distribution other then the one that you are using. This means that you either need to get a Boot-132 disk working or you need to get another minimal munky install working on that retail install. Then upgrade with this script. The author (not cooledit) should have made this work like wolfienuke's script. wolfienuke's script had features that if EPOS had, it would be perfect.

Cooledit, maybe you could merge features that are useful for each. Wolfienuke disappeared (father died and doesn't post anymore) and you should use his code because the hackintosh community needs your help. Link to wolfienuke's post

Hy,

I am not pretty sure if you really understood, what EPOS' advantages are. Our french colleague Sonotone did a very decent job on compiling tons of Boot132 disks. If yours is not among those: just figure your config out and contribute an image.

Anyway, sadly I still could not manage to contact CoolEdit as he's not responding to PMs, and so I need to add some license outlines here by myself - pretty embarrassing.

We don't like to have any misunderstandings in this question, as we are not willing to help Clone Mac manufacturers make profit from EPOS' simplicity. I admit this is a point where discussions may be initiated, but we want this to be respected. We did not put it under the GPL.

#####

# WEATHER EPOS I. nor derivate works (like EFI-Boot-i386) MAY BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.

#####

Get yourself a real Mac, if you want Vanilla flavor.

@CoolEdit: although I don't like releasing changed code without contacting us in advance and eventually renaming it, as it is still 99% EPOS, you did a good job and you contributed to the scene, which I feel is always good. Too many people just want one-click solutions and don't understand that only contribution means progress. Feel free to drop me a PM, or better read yours first...

nl2k

I am not pretty sure if you really understood, what EPOS' advantages are. Our french colleague Sonotone did a very decent job on compiling tons of Boot132 disks. If yours is not among those: just figure your config out and contribute an image.

Hello,

thanks for your contribution and it is greatly appreciated. I happen to understand the EPOS advantages. Just to note, One can get efi munkyboot setup either from another Leopard install on another HD (iatkos, iPC, Kalyways) or Boot-132. I have difficultly with Boot-132 and it was frustrating. I have a Core i7 that cant do vanilla (until last week) and boot-132 is quirky with voodoo kernel and custom kernel flags (busratio=20). When one is put in that situation they quickly think, "Hey I could just get kalyways setup on another HD with a custom kernel and setup that munkyboot quick." I took that route. wolfienukes script works on another HD and asks which drive to install on. Unfortunately with EPOS, that simply is not the case. As well, wolfienuke's script allows for custom kernels. If you are looking for inspiration for interesting script upgrades on top of what I suggested, look at Digital_Dreamers script which does interesting stuff such as allowing for custom (9.7 for 1.5.7) vanilla kernels that are specifically only working on my i7 and to put the kernel/system.kext in the system/libraries/extension folder as well (because that prevents issues with it (system.kext) not loading when in the extra/extensions folder, causing USB issues). Also DD and friends found that in Chameleon 2 that the Extra/Extension folder is a bad idea but Extra/Extensions.mkext is better.

Anyway, sadly I still could not manage to contact CoolEdit as he's not responding to PMs, and so I need to add some license outlines here by myself - pretty embarrassing.

I was suprised that CoolEdit took time out of his life to do this. Whatever reason it may have been or if you had been upset with his actions. I think that it was noble of him to help the community in some way. There are other people on the forums (Andy V for example) that add code to projects and that should be allowed because it encourages an open community which is what this forum is about. Licensing is a good idea as well.

We don't like to have any misunderstandings in this question, as we are not willing to help Clone Mac manufacturers make profit from EPOS' simplicity. I admit this is a point where discussions may be initiated, but we want this to be respected. We did not put it under the GPL.

Those clone companies suck and we need to stop them.

Too many people just want one-click solutions and don't understand that only contribution means progress.

I agree but this code is almost perfect and it could blossom into something amazing.

Hello,

thanks for your contribution and it is greatly appreciated. I happen to understand the EPOS advantages. Just to note, One can get efi munkyboot setup either from another Leopard install on another HD (iatkos, iPC, Kalyways) or Boot-132. I have difficultly with Boot-132 and it was frustrating. I have a Core i7 that cant do vanilla (until last week) and boot-132 is quirky with voodoo kernel and custom kernel flags (busratio=20). When one is put in that situation they quickly think, "Hey I could just get kalyways setup on another HD with a custom kernel and setup that munkyboot quick." I took that route. wolfienukes script works on another HD and asks which drive to install on. Unfortunately with EPOS, that simply is not the case. As well, wolfienuke's script allows for custom kernels. If you are looking for inspiration for interesting script upgrades on top of what I suggested, look at Digital_Dreamers script which does interesting stuff such as allowing for custom (9.7 for 1.5.7) vanilla kernels that are specifically only working on my i7 and to put the kernel/system.kext in the system/libraries/extension folder as well (because that prevents issues with it (system.kext) not loading when in the extra/extensions folder, causing USB issues). Also DD and friends found that in Chameleon 2 that the Extra/Extension folder is a bad idea but Extra/Extensions.mkext is better.

I agree but this code is almost perfect and it could blossom into something amazing.

Thanks for your feedback.

We began rewriting the EPOS code to satisfy our needs for more modularity and re-usability for different approaches. Don't expect anything too soon.

nl2k

We began rewriting the EPOS code to satisfy our needs for more modularity and re-usability for different approaches. Don't expect anything too soon.

nl2k

Either way, keep up the good work nameless2k. Peace.

nl2k

Hi guys,

I share your thoughts and apologize for possibly upsetting someone!

n2k - please take a look into your inbox!

CoolEdit

• 2 weeks later...

this is absolutely awesome! just what I was looking for...able to load all my kexts including audio to efi partition...when i used the chameleon original efi partition loader it resulted in kernel panic...now finally i can load windows 7 onto another disk and dual boot from different disks...sweet!!

thanks to you all.

PS: you can delete all the themes that you don't want except default to get the default to load. when i loaded without doing this, the twilight theme was default. i guess you can change it in the apple.boot.plist as well but easier for me to delete themes.

this is absolutely awesome! just what I was looking for...able to load all my kexts including audio to efi partition...when i used the chameleon original efi partition loader it resulted in kernel panic...now finally i can load windows 7 onto another disk and dual boot from different disks...sweet!!

thanks to you all.

PS: you can delete all the themes that you don't want except default to get the default to load. when i loaded without doing this, the twilight theme was default. i guess you can change it in the apple.boot.plist as well but easier for me to delete themes.

Hi ericft,

shure, you can specify your theme in the com.apple.Boot.plist, wich in the EFI-Boot-i386/plist folder. Use PlistEdit pro for comfortably changing plist-files!

Have fun!

CoolEdit

I was unable to use the Chameleon RC1 EFI boot option on my system (specs in signature). I have my BIOS set to AHCI. Does AHCI cause a problem for this method? Do I need to change it back to IDE?

No. As i wrote in my EPOS thread some minutes ago. CoolEdit's modified script has major issues.

The reason is: CoolEdit's replaced auto-detection routines with static strings, which is a very bad idea. Thus making it in at least 50% of the cases unapplicable. It may even screw up other partitions as it always uses disk0s1 as EFI partition. I already contacted CoolEdit.

My recommendation is: JUST DONT USE IT AT THIS MOMENT, as it may terribly screw up your system... I am currently updating EPOS for using with Chameleon.

I'm using Chameleon 2 RC along with the Munky method on my Asus P5B Deluxe and just installed Chameleon 2 RC to the efi partition on my Dell xps 1530 without any problems what so ever. I compile an mkext of my kexts and put it into the Extra folder manually with Terminal. It's a bit of a faff but easy enough if you type carefully.

I don't remember what my bios setting on my Asus is but I think I have it set to IDE. I'll check when I get home.....

Just install a retail Leopard via a Boot 132 cd and then install Chameleon once you've re-booted after install.

If I remember right, dsmos.kext, disabler.kext and appledecrypt.kext will be enough to get a boot into Leo from Chameleon.........

I was unable to use the Chameleon RC1 EFI boot option on my system (specs in signature). I have my BIOS set to AHCI. Does AHCI cause a problem for this method? Do I need to change it back to IDE?