[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

MS1994 To a point yes... but my test install had issues with system profiler, more frequent kernel panics, and a generall sluggish feeling when compared to 10.5.7.... Some people have reported issues with bluetooth, and usb.

Yes, you can, but if you need sleep, no... as INTELCPUPOWERMANAGEMENT.kect is no longer needed, with a patched sleep.kext instead...

A new disabler.kext or DSMOS.kext is also recommended.

It really has nothing new from 10.5.7, and as the saying goes, unless its broke, don't fix it, really applies here. If you cannot live without it, then go up, if not, then wait till the community sorts things out!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys... been a while since any activity here... So I thought i may mix it up by announcing that my new Boot disk is now on its 3 alpha, still testing, and in a few days, I will upload a EP45 Pack v2.5, with only the new CD as a change.... A few days later, v3 will come out with some of my newest kexts. I rewrote a few little bits of JMicronATA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext, the causes of some KP's in things like emulation, and large memory addressing... Now, my systems with the new kexts are as solid as ... rocks???

These kexts and some others will be available in v3, with the new Charmeleon based CD boot available in a day or two... I encourage all users to download the cd, and test it for me... As i don;t own a load of different hardware configs...

Thanks

And Snow has been released. I have it installed, and i can answer some questions via PM... better keep this thread for leo

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys and Girls, hoping someone can help me out.

I have been able to install and update to 10.5.7 without too many problems (yet) but i just can not get the sound to work. I must have tried at least 10 different things but nothing works, including everything linked to in this thread.

I would be appreciative if someone could steer me in the right direction. I have no doubt that i have done something wrong, but i am out of ideas. MB is a GA-EP45PUD3LR, there must be someone who has been able to get it right.

Cheers,

Boombah

I have the same mobo, i did my install using this thread, I also posted the rest of my hardware there if that helps.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1181296

also, even though sound is supposed to work with that boot disc I didn't have a chance to try it out til after I install the sound kext....hope that helps,

• 2 weeks later...

@Scottapotamas and others

BE CAREFUL with snow leo on gigabyte boards it can HOSE your system. I know that this is a forum for retail install of leopard and i am not sure if you plan on updating but i just wanted to warn everyone that this can happen.

This is what it did to me. It corrupted my bios and caused an endless reboot until i took a screw driver to short out the pins. So be careful gigabyte users because it has been reported else where.

Hey guys and Girls, hoping someone can help me out.

I have been able to install and update to 10.5.7 without too many problems (yet) but i just can not get the sound to work. I must have tried at least 10 different things but nothing works, including everything linked to in this thread.

I would be appreciative if someone could steer me in the right direction. I have no doubt that i have done something wrong, but i am out of ideas. MB is a GA-EP45PUD3LR, there must be someone who has been able to get it right.

Cheers,

Boombah

Hwy Boombah, I spent like 40 hours trying to get the onboard sound to work, eventually I went to Fry's and bought some external usb sound device for like 15$.. it works great.. no special nothing plug it in reboot... bam.. If you need good sound buy a high end one, I was after sound nothing special..

@ tessa17, this is the fantastical CMOS reset bug... The CMOS fix needs to be incorperated into a DSDT.aml and injected into the bootloader. If not, the CMOS will reset, and some giga v1 boards will keep trying to load optimised defaults. Clearing the cmos mannually is the solution as written above

@ tessa17, this is the fantastical CMOS reset bug... The CMOS fix needs to be incorperated into a DSDT.aml and injected into the bootloader. If not, the CMOS will reset, and some giga v1 boards will keep trying to load optimised defaults. Clearing the cmos mannually is the solution as written above

When i tried this the was when snow leo first came out and was trying different boot132 methods when this happen. I could have dealt with the cmos but if that happened but it kill my bios completely. Hind site is 20/20 so i know know that i need a good dsdt before trying this again.

When this bad thing happen to me i did try to clear cmos manually but it was a no go. And when i loaded up again it sent me into and endless reboot cycle. So i had to use the screw driver trick to get it to load from my backup bios. And man was that HORRIBLE!!!

But i am up and running again and not ready to give up on leopard yet.

• 3 weeks later...

EP-45-UD3L network was working at first but now fails.

I've done two iinstalls on the same GA-EP-45-UD3L board. Every time the network would work during the install, shown by registering and able to download updates. A third fresh install with the drive formatted still can't see the NIC.

After I ran the utility in the BIOS to test the network connection, OS X can't see the network card. The DHCP would return some strange IP address. I even tried a static IP in my subnet etc, but still no network connection. The board was just purchased from MicroCenter September 26th so the BIOS firmware should be recent, since the last golden one is from December of last year.

Any suggestions?

I have shutdown and powered off the PC.

I did not remove AC power from the PS, I will try that after this next install.

I have rebooted the 3Com firewall/DHCP and even switched to a different port.

I also went into the admin of the 3Com and cleared the DHCP leasing.

I am able to boot the system with Puppy Linux and get a DHCP address and was successful getting to the internet. So I would say the LAN NIC is still good.

Any other suggestions?

I would like to keep to the on board NIC, otherwise I have some Old IBM 10/100 Nics I could put in the system, Intel based chip sets. If there are drivers for them of course.

Thanks

so you are using a lan card? what about the onboard one??? They work ootb for our boards in most cases...

Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry I was a little confusing with my writing.

In the first two installations on this system board the LAN card worked right after the reboot.

I was suggesting that I could try a PCI LAN card but perferred to use the on board.

I ran the UInstaller with your version 2 packages consisting of:

The GA-EP-45-3 package

Set boot timeout to 5

resolution to 1280x1024

Install PC_EFI-V9

Set video to my card Nvidia 8400 GS 512MB

And rebooted.

Everything worked properly except Audio.

Running the OSX86 Tools to install the EP34_DS3L_Sound Kexts corrected that problem. The internal speaker setting affects the line out output.

After running the OSX86 tools to modify the "About the Mac" and then running the diagnostic Lan in the BIOS, the LAN stopped working on the next boot.

As mentioned above, I tried running the NIC's address with a manual IP and still no connecton.

Last night I ran a full erase process on the hard drive

then powered off

turned the on/off switch on the power supply

then pulled the plug from the power supply

Let it sit for five minutes and had a successful LAN connection in a new installation.

I just checked it at the time of this writing as it's still working.

The curiosity is, what caused it to fail? I'm a little skittish of trying the two items again to see if the LAN stopped working again.

Again, thanks for the quick reply. If there is something you want me to try for future reference let me know. ;)

i would not know what the problem is, i guess you could try it again, if your up to it, it didn't affect me though, on the UD3...

Anyone else had this problem and not spoken up???

I will continue to maintain this thread till the ends of the earth, even though snow works flawlessly for most people... Eventually i may even update the guide!!!

And I found copies of this guide on other sites... If you want to copy it, just post a note or shoot me an email, i like to know what happens and gain knowledge from it...

• 3 months later...

first off am totally amazed at this guide... would of saved me a ton of hassle if I knew about it a month ago.

am brand new to building hack macs but I had to try because nothing Apple has on market serves my needs. my last Mac is a 7yr old MDD Dual G4 Tower.

saved up money from 2nd part time job and christmas cash. bought most of the new stuff from Newegg or Microcenter.

my build thus far:

Thermaltake V3 black mid tower with 2 case fans (120mm blue led & 80mm)

Coolmax 500W PSU

Gigabyte ga-EP45-UD3P v1.6 mobo

Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 2.8Ghz with stock HS & FAN

2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 667MHz SDRAM left over from another system.

ancient Radeon X550 PCIe 256MB video card left over from another system

Pioneer DVR-218BL DVD±RW burner

WDC Blue 500GB 7200rpm SATA 3GB HD

8GB SanDisk Cruzer USB2 Flash Drive ("sneakernet" from other computers because I can't get the LAN to work yet & is also used as Boot132USB boot loader)

copy of Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard DVD

So far I've used about 9 different websites for info to build this. I wish I would of found InsanelyMac first, it would saved me a lot of time.

Took me about 3days to put it all together as I am new to this I wanted to go slow. The hardest part was trying to get Leopard to install... It looked fine but then I got the OSX Failed Install screen and did not think it worked. Rebooted with Boot132 cd I made and then the Drive worked and OSX booted up. I was stoked...

Was amazed the Video worked with an ancient unsupported Radeon X550 card... I plan to get either a Radeon HD or GeForce GT card soon when money comes later in month.

But Still no working Sound or LAN. am trying to locate kexts/drivers I can use... my mobo says it has Azalia Audio and Realtek dual gigabit LAN.

Thanks for the guide!!!

Peace.

Broc

lz4broc@gmail.com

try realteak1000.kext for the lan... audio wont work??? odd, but there are always ways to get it to work... Try voodoohda.kext or azalia patcher... as you are new, you may not know of the hackintosh search google...

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

It searches related sites and you may find something on infinitemac etc...

• 2 weeks later...