[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

I have definately adjusted my outputs, and tried literally every physical port on the sound card.. I have not tried the midi out...

I just did a remove all injectors in the os86 tools program, and am reapplying the ep43 fix I found the other day.. it isn't in this thread but I found it searching on here... Bascially using uiinstaller add its AppleHDA file, and a HDAEnabler file along with a reboot..

Did this sound work out of the box for you?

just checked out the midi stuff looked like it was set correctly..

After installing just he appleHDA file I show the hardware installed, I am doing the HDAEnabler now, and repariing permissions form the os86 tool.. after that I am going to have to wait till tomorrow night to work on some more.. its 0230 here, and I have been working on this for too many hours tonight lol..

a few ideas...

you could patch the codec yourself...

you could get a linux dump and rewrite it...

you could try getting different codecs...

you could try EFI Studio, and putting in a EFI audio string... didn't work for me with 889a..

Just a few suggestions...

Also... what audio chipset does the ep43 have???

oh, and if everything fails and you cannot possibly get it working, you could get a usb audio thing... natvely recognized by mac. lots of people on these forums use them instead of losing sleep over on board audio...

Lol thanks for the advice, I will have to do a lot of digging on those ideas you suggested, I have only ever done 1 linux compile in the past, so I am intimidated by that to say the least..

So last night I ended up working on this for a couple more hours, working today on like 5 hours sleep lol (I always loose track of time on these night time computer projects)..

Anyhow after applying the HDAEnabler it was broken again, and I shelved it for the night.. I then decided to verify that my Video card was working correctly after some of the global changes I have made, and sure enough it isn't

I had EVE Online running fine earlier in the night, and now it just bails with an error (EVE Online is a 3d Space MMORPG, and I picked it since I have an active subscription as a testing tool for the video card)..

I tried unsuccessfully to go through the steps I had over the last couple of days for the video card to get it back to working..

At the end of the night:

1)Semi functioning Video card that was working great

2)No working Audio...

Steve Jobs 2 Mike 0...

I am wondering if I need to clean up after myself with all the kexts and installers I am running, if this was a MS system I would have likely completely munged up the registry.. I am starting to wonder if I should rebuild the mac OS or something.. I did get the boot loader working and everything and I really don't want to start over, but I fear I may need too..

Also I am not using an EP43, I am using an EP45 just like this guide was written for, Its a GA-EP45-UD3-LR or something like that (at work so comp not in front of me).. so I have an ICH10 with a realtek ALC888 audio chip.. My video is a nVidia 9800 GT 512..

thanks again for the help so far!

ahh... so the 888 chip... Although that is different to the 889a, i guess you have nothing to lose by trying other ones... also... Are you using an injector or a EFI string for your video... I guess breakable video is a good enough sacrifice for full res and QE...

I guess reinstalling coul dwork, but this time, get a blank flashdrive and install a bootloader like BootThink (i find it great) just search for "lets see another bootloader" It allows kexts to be added, etc, and would be better for testing, copy this, delete that reboot

etc

HELLP

i dont know what im doing wrong but any bootloader i use i get the "you need to restart your computer now message"

what am i doing wrong?

HELLP

i dont know what im doing wrong but any bootloader i use i get the "you need to restart your computer now message"

what am i doing wrong?

HELLP

what am i doing wrong?

HELLP

what am i doing wrong?

and one more thing what is enabled and not enabled in your bios this must be the weirdest thing

i don't get what you mean... The "restart your computer" is a Kernel Panic... which bootloaders have you tried, Charmeleon 1 or 2, PCEFI v9, Bootthink, XPC??? I need more info. If the bootloader is working, try booting into verbose ( -v ) and write down what causes the panic or freeze... There could be a variety of issues caused by differnt things.

Also, if using char 2 or BootThink, did you add the necessary kexts to make it run/boot. Eg Disabler.kext OpenHaltRestart.kext etc.

I could image a bootloader for a flashdrive if you want, one that should work.

i don't get what you mean... The "restart your computer" is a Kernel Panic... which bootloaders have you tried, Charmeleon 1 or 2, PCEFI v9, Bootthink, XPC??? I need more info. If the bootloader is working, try booting into verbose ( -v ) and write down what causes the panic or freeze... There could be a variety of issues caused by differnt things.

Also, if using char 2 or BootThink, did you add the necessary kexts to make it run/boot. Eg Disabler.kext OpenHaltRestart.kext etc.

I could image a bootloader for a flashdrive if you want, one that should work.

that would be cool

but now its gotten worse i was like maybe it didnt install right and now it wont even boot from the bootloader i get an instant kernel panic

gahhh

i dont know what to do

i have used chameleon 1,2,efi v9

ahh... so the 888 chip... Although that is different to the 889a, i guess you have nothing to lose by trying other ones... also... Are you using an injector or a EFI string for your video... I guess breakable video is a good enough sacrifice for full res and QE...

I guess reinstalling coul dwork, but this time, get a blank flashdrive and install a bootloader like BootThink (i find it great) just search for "lets see another bootloader" It allows kexts to be added, etc, and would be better for testing, copy this, delete that reboot

etc

I got Video Repaired, and I am giving up on the on board audio, I don't care about the 7.1, I am going to try to figure out a USB speakers or something from the board here, I have yet to start looking.. Lol I am typing this on my hacintosh.. overall I am happy with it.. going to buy a mac keyboard as well.. Need to figure out the apps I want to run on here lol

BTW my Mobo is a EP45UD3LR

@Target USB 7.1 sound cards work well... Just like the existing soundcard, except for a little dongle...

@Borntoshort I am trying to attach a iso of a bootloader to be put onto a flashdrive at the mo its in the standard read/write .sparseimage format. Just put it onto a HSF+ Bootloader and then it should boot all hard drives. It has the minimum amount of kexts for my EP45-UD3 and UD3L to work, including the basic stuff, it has 889a audio (AppleHDA.kext HDA.Kext and HDAPatcher.kext) This could solve your problem. use F8 to change to text mode or graphical mode. From text, you can boot in verbose etc or use keyboard shortcuts.

Heres the link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168500

If all else fails, you should reinstall, update then install all the kexts, com.Apple.Boot.Plist to the flashdrive, while keeping a working iso. Ive done this, and it may as well be a real mac, nothing changed on the actuall drive, as everythings on the USB

EDIT: I cannot upload it to my FTP as my ISP only allows 60MB, The Iso is 84... Will try rapidshare etc and link later

i must have hit something weird in my bios or something cuz i took out the CMOS battery and EVERYTHing works great now im just trying to get my video card working

Its an ASUS nVidia 9500GT with 512 mb GDDR3 and dsub, DVI, and HDMI outs anyone have this???

@Target USB 7.1 sound cards work well... Just like the existing soundcard, except for a little dongle...

Do you have any advice after searching here I am not seeing a good USB speaker being recommended? I guess a USB sound card would be ok.. I want to keep it under 50$ it is just for Itunes mostly.. Dont want a head set as much as some simple desktop speakers lol..

@target

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85762

Just a few...

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

Creative X-mod (expensive)

@ Borntoshort

To install charmeleon, can't you just use the installer or are you trying to install to a EFI Partition, in which case you need a script or something from this forum somewhere...

Installing to bootdrive or usb??? Its sounding like any installing of bootloaders and stuff are screwing it up... To install a differnt OS, it is usually a good idea to remove all drives except the destination, then nothing gets written over.

Then you could use a bootloader on a flashdrive, the mac partition or a empty partition, therefore leaving the drives as they are.

Update:

I went by fry's and purchased a 20$ USB Soundwave 7.1 by SIIG.. I also bought some new speakers (that I ended up not using) and a full size mac keyboard.

So bottom Line is I have a fully Function Mac, with a Mac Keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

I haven't tried the sleep function and could care less since it is a full size system.

I haven't tried the Time Machine function, I only have one HDD installed atm, and I didn't pre-partition the HDD

So I have a very functional Mac, that so far does everything I ask it too..

Final Break Down:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR $109

Intel E6750 Dual 2.66ghz (Free) Retail is around $200

4GB PC800 OCZ Gaming RAM (Free) Retail $100

Seagate 1TB Sata HDD $99

HP Light-Scribe DVD Burner $49 (this was the part of the lynch pint to get around the JMicro PATA issues)

PNY Geforce 9800GT 512MB $139

Cooler-Master CM 690 Case $79

XG Magnum 500 PS (Free) Retail ughh No idea high end gaming PS

Siig Soundwave 7.1 USB sound card $20

Apple Stuff I purchased:

OSX 10.5.6 $129 (The macbook discs I had don't work)

Mighty Mouse $10 (Had $40 in best buy rewards about to expire)

Mac Keyboard with num pad $50

$495 For stuff I had to have,

$190 More for stuff that made my life easier.

Thanks so much for the guide I am not sure how I would have done it without some of the tools you assembled here.

I am finding the mac much more enjoyable to use then any distro of linux I have used, and I am going to force myself to use this to get work done. My next goal is to Virtualize it on Citrix XenServer, but I am going to take a break and rest on my laurels for a while.

Thanks again..

Mike

good luck virtulising it on a Citrix server... I was tempted, tried for a few hours and gave up...

In my opinion, a time machine drive is invaluable... oruse superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a image of your working drive in case you screw something up... I found that my install decided to kill its self with no help or reason...

A restorable image is great...

Sleep won't work on my system without heavy patching, and its unnecessary, so i left it there, would be interesting if you can sleep.

anyone use this with the guide???

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580

and all my stuff gets in tomorrow im so excited!

no way to much work!! :P

its almost the same process... the slimbuild cd mentioned is the same as the boot132 disk supplied by me... The only difference, is i don't give details on making a EFI partition, but the idea/process to install is the same, make a small partition, install the kexts and bootloader instead of the main OSX partition and then you have a untouched install, completely unbreakable in theory... The script provides charmeleon 2 the ability to install to the efi partition...

I use bootthink on a flash drive, so my mac is untouched, and i can plug in different bootloaders if i want... no partitioning needed.

i have to give that a try. How do you like it in comparison to others? What make this one work for you over the others? :(

the problem occures when i try to install another operating system on a seperate drive or when i try to install chameleon 2

how would i install chameleon 2 effectively

I never ran into that trouble but as a rule of thumb i all ways unhook all other drives in my system when ever i need to install and OS like leo or windows etc. I do that because i do not want to run any unforeseen issues later. :D

Alright so heres an update

EVERYTHING is fully working sound, video everything Im loving it

HA HA thanks so much for the guide

but just my two cents UInstaller does not work with Chameleon 2 without a lot of work If i were to do this again i would use chameleon v.1

@tessa17, Using a efi partition or keeping everything needed to boot in a different partition or USB is great. I means i can have a completely untouched retail install, nothing installed. It takes work to get a efi partition working, but gettting a bootloader on a is easier... Get a booltloader like boothink (works better and faster, though still a little underdeveloped) then dump the kexts and com.apple.bot.plist into their associated folders and it works perfectly. I just reinstalled with this method a day ago because of a accidental IONet.kext delete resulting in KP's all the time...

@borntoshort great that its all working...

@tessa17, Using a efi partition or keeping everything needed to boot in a different partition or USB is great. I means i can have a completely untouched retail install, nothing installed. It takes work to get a efi partition working, but gettting a bootloader on a is easier... Get a booltloader like boothink (works better and faster, though still a little underdeveloped) then dump the kexts and com.apple.bot.plist into their associated folders and it works perfectly. I just reinstalled with this method a day ago because of a accidental IONet.kext delete resulting in KP's all the time...

@borntoshort great that its all working...

I am new to the boot think thing and do not know much about it but i am always will to give things a try. Maybe when have time or perfected everything maybe you could write guide to help others use this feature. :D

yeah... maybe... Holidays are in a few days for us, so i will have time soon. I have also been contemplating adding a EFI Partition section to the guide, what do you think???

And just out of curiosity, have any of you guys been getting kernel panics referenced to a IONet.kext and about 5 other dependicies. I get it when trying to use crossover to play\install games and when working with over 2gb filoes in iMovie09

yeah... maybe... Holidays are in a few days for us, so i will have time soon. I have also been contemplating adding a EFI Partition section to the guide, what do you think???

And just out of curiosity, have any of you guys been getting kernel panics referenced to a IONet.kext and about 5 other dependicies. I get it when trying to use crossover to play\install games and when working with over 2gb filoes in iMovie09

Sounds good look forward to the guide and yes the efi partition section add to the guide would be great !!!!

As for as using crossover i have not used it since kalyway and it worked just fine at least with applications. I also have not installed ilife 09 so i could not tell you but i do plan on using it so i will be on the look out for these issues and will report back as soon as i install. :)

I don't have either of these apps, I run EVE, and Virtualbox (XP guest) flawlessly, Could one of them be that we are not really running the right video drivers? I know if I do anything that switches resolution my screen goes blue or blank and I have to push the reset button to get anything back..