9.6.3 Kernel for Core i7

51 posts in this topic

Hi,

I installed this kernel and noticed that everything is running in chip 'n dale mode. Everything moves twice as fast, even the clock dashboard widget second hand doesn't move correctly but instead jumps around like crazy. Anyone else experiencing this?

(note. I installed both the kernel and System.kext with OSX86Tools)

earlier post about this issue was because of wrong fsb speed detected... i've tried numerous fsb=400, 333, 266, 166, 133, 100 etc... and none have worked... what is the correct fsb for a 3.2GHz(oc'd) i7?

Hi,

sorry if I caused any problems....

It's still beta...

Don't be sorry! it's awesome that you took the time to put it together for us to test. Without it, there wouldn't be progress.

earlier post about this issue was because of wrong fsb speed detected... i've tried numerous fsb=400, 333, 266, 166, 133, 100 etc... and none have worked... what is the correct fsb for a 3.2GHz(oc'd) i7?

I have the same issue - Asus P6T, i7 920. Running pc_efi_v9, not Chameleon v2 RC1. 3 sticks of 1066 crucial RAM in triple channel. I've tried removing overclock, changing fsb value in boot flags, turning various BIOS options on/off, changing kernel from 9.7 to 9.63, all with exact same result.

Would people who do not have the fast clock issue please post their configurations?

1) are you using chameleon 2?

2) what is your ram speed - 1333 or 1066? how many sticks?

3) any smbios injector/alternative installed?

4) anything else which sounds like it could be related?

Thanks

I have the same issue - Asus P6T, i7 920. Running pc_efi_v9, not Chameleon v2 RC1. 3 sticks of 1066 crucial RAM in triple channel. I've tried removing overclock, changing fsb value in boot flags, turning various BIOS options on/off, changing kernel from 9.7 to 9.63, all with exact same result.

Would people who do not have the fast clock issue please post their configurations?

1) are you using chameleon 2?

2) what is your ram speed - 1333 or 1066? how many sticks?

3) any smbios injector/alternative installed?

4) anything else which sounds like it could be related?

Thanks

I am using Chameleon 2 and my ram is 1333 6 gb but I dont have the fast clock because I set up some smbios values for Chameleon in a file calles smbios.plist in the /Extra directory

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>

I believe this line fixes the clock.

smbios.plist.zip

osx86tools is great thanks. LoL CORRECTION

even with the new kernel and osx86tools fixing the name of my processor for some reason some programs (microsoft silverlight) sees my comp as a powerpc.... no netflix streaming is pissing me off. :P

anyways thanks. most helpful thread ive had o_O

buhgock>

This is because you have no "Processor Name" element in your SMBIOS. To my knowledge no EFI injector including the RC1 of Chameleon 2.0 can be used to add this. The Silverlight installer is checking for "Intel" in that string, and since it doesn't exist, it fails.

There is a work around to install Silverlight however, you just need to search for it.

SOLVED. I installed Chameleon V2 RC1 and the clock issue is gone.

Thanks all!

I've a P6T with i7 920, have Chameleon 2 RC1 installed on the EFI, boots fine this way. When I change my com.apple.Boot.plist to use the mach_kernel provided here, I get a panic on boot saying "Version mis-match between kernel and CPU PM." I've also installed the provided System.kext in both System/Library/Extensions as well as on the EFI's /Extra/Extensions. I'm a bit new, any thoughts would be helpful.

So I'm running 9.7.0 on my i7 machine, and nearly everything is great. I'm running the System.kext from 10.5.7 (which made my USB hotplug work) but my seatbelt.kext is from 10.5.6. Now normally I can mount a .dmg image without any issues, but occasionally (it's happened twice) it will hang my machine. I'm guessing I need a seatbelt.kext from 10.5.7. Anyone know where I can find such a beast?

I'm pretty sure Seatbelt.kext is only necessary if you're using a Voodoo-based kernel (not 9.7.0). Seatbelt.kext without Voodoo will cause crashes when mounting DMGs.

AFAIK seatbelt.kext must match the kernel...

It doesn't matter if it's a modded kernel or not...

Just as waugh70 I came across a similar problem, with a Asus P6T Deluxe machine (configured similar to other Asus P6T rigs via Tutorials), when I use this kernel it gives me KP "Version mis-match between IKernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:638" ... Either there is some sort of incompatibility with .kext's/configs for Asus i7 rigs or I am doing something wrong. I have a feeling that it could be the later issue, so any tips on solving it would be greatly apreciated. :o Other then that, using voodoo 9.5.0 kernel machine runs fine...

Just as waugh70 I came across a similar problem, with a Asus P6T Deluxe machine (configured similar to other Asus P6T rigs via Tutorials), when I use this kernel it gives me KP "Version mis-match between IKernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:638" ... Either there is some sort of incompatibility with .kext's/configs for Asus i7 rigs or I am doing something wrong. I have a feeling that it could be the later issue, so any tips on solving it would be greatly apreciated. ;) Other then that, using voodoo 9.5.0 kernel machine runs fine...

Just got word that 10.5.7 is officially out.

I'll be trying an update on my asus p6t deluxe (after a FULL BACKUP!) and will let you know what I find.

Just as waugh70 I came across a similar problem, with a Asus P6T Deluxe machine (configured similar to other Asus P6T rigs via Tutorials), when I use this kernel it gives me KP "Version mis-match between IKernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:638" ... Either there is some sort of incompatibility with .kext's/configs for Asus i7 rigs or I am doing something wrong. I have a feeling that it could be the later issue, so any tips on solving it would be greatly apreciated. :D Other then that, using voodoo 9.5.0 kernel machine runs fine...

ok.. I did the system update.

My system is on disk0 partition2, so at the "boot:" prompt I did:

hd(0,2)/mach_kernel busratio=20 -v -f

At first, it ran and kernel panicked. After looking closely at the kernel panic, it was crapping out at superhai's VoodooPower kext.

Simply removing that kext from /System/Library/Extensions, then clearing extension cache and rebooting.

Type in the same text at the boot: prompt, and everything came up perfectly. Running on 100% vanilla kernel.

I now need to remove the seatbelt kext.

Just tested sleep mode... Sound works 100%.

USB hotplug works now too. Excellent!

Next thing... I have 1066 DDR3... system still says it's 667 DDR2 memory with a 533mhz FSB

Any hints for that last hurdle?

hai

i hav an i7 processor and asus p6t board

i tried iaktos 5i and ipc....

they din work...

pls tell me how to install os on ma pc....!!

Follow the instructions from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144639 .

Purchase your copy of Leopard... it's the best way.. and you'll be supporting the development of the OS.

(Label you box with an apple sticker that comes with the OS)

I had to use a SATA DVD drive to install using the instructions.

Missing from the instructions, is when you see the hit F8 line.. hit F8, then ESC, then enter after putting in the Leopard disk.

I seriously suggest using the EFI-i386 installer for booting (Includes Chameleon v2):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143222

When installing that, don't use the slimboot CD as the basis for kexts as it's instructions suggest. Copy the kexts from the EFI_pack available here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144639

.. to the extension folder in the installation directory of the EPOS EFI installer. (I also put the AppleHDA.kext file too for my sound. I'm not sure if it's done anything for me.)

Before installing it, install anything required to get your gfx card working (you'll need to search for that) and then create your gfx strings (google for the 'how-to' for your card) and put them in the Boot.plist file (instructions tell you were to put that file when installing EPOS EFI).

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the vanilla kernel, and it works fine except that i get about 2000 less in geekbench than before. (only 5900 now.) I'll have to use some other benchmarking program to see if i get the same results.

EDIT: Now I get kernel panics from DMG's, which didn't happen before.

Could the slowness be because i have 10.5.5, not 10.5.6?

I have asus p6t deluxe v2,

core i7 920

6gb ocz 1600mhz ram

ideneb 1.3 10.5.5

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys im getting VERY disappointing geekbench scores..

im running 10.5.7 vanilla + 9.7.0 kernel & that system.kext from adamsalac.

my cpu is an i7 975 extreme, currently o'cd to around 3.9ghz.

2 x sticks of 1600 running at 1066 apparently.

mobo is asus rampge ii extreme.

anyway, my geekbench scores barely hit 7500, when i posted regular high 8's on my

3.6ghz q6600.

WTF is going on? i really dont get it.... shouldnt this be blisteringly fast!?

any ideas??

I've now OC'd my 975 to 4.13ghz and im still only getting around a 9000 geekbench score.

I want to know who this guy is - he is getting a better score with a slower clocked i7. The main difference i can see is in my Processor Integer performance. He is getting nearly double what i am.

Could this be due to an incorrect system.kext?

OEM OEM

Submitted on June 28 2009 (7 hours ago) by Paul442

Flag Result

Chart performance of similar systems

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score

Geekbench 2.1.2 for Windows x86 (32-bit)

Integer Processor integer performance 12819 11527

Floating Point Processor floating point performance 14206

Memory Memory performance 6681

Stream Memory bandwidth performance 7324

Here is my geekbench score I just took is wasn't quite 13000 but its close

and make sure you have hyperthreading turned on, and that all the speedstep options are turned off.

And here is one over 13000

hey mate.. thanks for posting those. what are you running? i think i got a score just over 13000 the other day,

but im clocked at 4.4ghz currently. it still doesnt quite make sense. Im sure there's something holding my scores back..

what motherboard are you running, and how much ram have you got (and how many sticks)?

i can only manage to run 2 sticks, with the 3rd in, i get an IOAPIC error and it wont boot.

im running a rampage ii extreme btw..

My setup is:

Intel Core i7 4.00 Ghz.

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

6.00 GB Mushkin 1600 Mhz DDR3

2x NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI

2 1 TB HDD AHCI Mode

DVD +- RW

Blu Ray Drive

Thats all, I think it has to be something in your bios settings or your ram speed make sure you have hyperthreading enabled and by the way I am running PCEFI10 in 64bit mode if that helps

I've tried everything in Bios. nothing fixes it..

im not sure if im running pc efi 10 though, just using the chameleon 2 rc1 package - what does that use?

My setup is:

Intel Core i7 4.00 Ghz.

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

6.00 GB Mushkin 1600 Mhz DDR3

2x NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI

2 1 TB HDD AHCI Mode

DVD +- RW

Blu Ray Drive

Thats all, I think it has to be something in your bios settings or your ram speed make sure you have hyperthreading enabled and by the way I am running PCEFI10 in 64bit mode if that helps

• 1 year later...
This is a special Kernel for people who bought an i7 processor/motherboard. In the past we had to use Toh Kernel, then Voodoo Kernel with busratio=20 in the boot.plist.

Now none of that special kernel or busratio=20 needed!

No purpose in using this if you don't have i7.

I don't think it needs system.kext pairing, it will work with vanilla system.kext in 10.5.6. Now 9.7 Kernel in 10.5.7 will make this not needed.

This is a vanilla Kernel. As Vanilla as you can get.

I have an i7 hackintosh but it only recognizes 1 processor and 4 cores.....how do i get it to recognize all 8? Please help