• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

rextanka

rextanka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first post so hope this is in the right place. I wanted to make a relatively cheap tower for running emagic/apple logic pro effectively. Hopefully this will help others too, looking for a bread and butter system with a core 2 quad (or duo).

The OSx86 community has done a completely awesome job of making the process of making a hackintosh pretty straightforward. You have to be a geek and like messing with computers and figuring stuff out, however, most of the gnarly hacking that was needed even a year ago can be avoided. Thanks!!

Hardware

MLB - gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Processor - Q9400 2.66GHz Core2 Quad, 6MB Cache
Video Card - eVGA GeForce 8600GT 512GB DDR2
FireWire - VantecUGT-FW100
DVD/CD Pioneer DVR216DBK

Commodity parts: 4GB RAM (DDR2), Disk (500GB), case, PSU.

OS Install

First install with default boot-132 failed with SPOD (Spinning Pizza of Death) at the starfield screen. Downloaded BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso from

http://www.4shared.c...ABYL-BUMBY.html

And used this to boot to the retail Mac OS 10.5.6 install DVD. Booting from this version gave a successful install.

The procedure is pretty simple.

- Make a CD from BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso
- place that CD in your boot drive
- reboot the computer
- at the prompt hit return
- eject the cd you made
- insert the Mac OS X install CD
- wait for the LED on the DVD/CD drive to stop blinking
- hit return at the next prompt
- the install should commence for Leopard, follow the prompts on the screen.
- once the install completes you'll been to reboot using the CD you made, so eject the install media for leopard, insert your boot cd and start up from that.
- at the prompt type in 80 and press return.

Post Install -- Things that didn't work

Video driver - dragging windows didn't work, the display was set to a fixed resolution.

fix: download 9f23installer.pkg from NVIntstaller.com and run the app to write appropriate stings into the boot plist file.

Networking was immediately functional. The DVD drive works. Sleep seems to work.

Shutdown is not functional (spinning indicator but never seems to get to shutdown)

Boot still requires the CD, I'll write up how to get chameleon working once I have it working. Currently Chameleon panics on boot.

pet1

pet1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Trax and Hax
You must have missed something in the past 3 years.... You need to patch for dsdt... Look around... There's tons of info around... Maybe you'll help someone else in the process tool.. A great community indeed. I have grown fond of it myself.

Robbie MacKinnon

Robbie MacKinnon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
rextanka have you seen this:
http://######.com/osx86tools/
Try installing it once you boot into your fresh installation of Leopard ;)

rextanka

rextanka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

rextanka have you seen this:
http://######.com/osx86tools/
Try installing it once you boot into your fresh installation of Leopard :rolleyes:

Very interesting, I'll give that a go when I get back tonight from work. Thanks!

snoop244to

snoop244to

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Very interesting, I'll give that a go when I get back tonight from work. Thanks!

rextanka,

I'm thinking of buying this board. Did you resolve the issue of requiring the CD to boot? I'm not sure what the folks that followed up your post are trying to fix. I have OSX86Tools on my other machine and I'm not sure how it resolves your issues.

With respect to the boot issue: is it a complicated process to boot from the CD each time you restart?

Thanks,

S.

Toad S

Toad S

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I have the same motherboard and it works great! I haven't found anything that doesn't work right with the right Kexts and patches. I found this other guys OSX install guide for the GA-G31M-ES2L. Its very good. OSX 10.5.6 Vanilla Install Guide for GA-G31M-ES2L My install is a little different as I haven't found a need yet to patch my DSDT. I'm using Voodoo Power instead, for power management. I used software update to go from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. The only kexts I had to reinstall was for audio. All my other modifided kexts and patches are in EXTRA folder, except audio that I haven't been able to get it to work from there.

I would highly recommend this MB is is very compatible. :)

Toad S

cyberderf

cyberderf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
toad: Is your sleep / shutdown working fine ?

Toad S

Toad S

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

toad: Is your sleep / shutdown working fine ?

Yes it is working 100%

cyberderf

cyberderf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
This guide is not accurate. You have to do F8 after inserting the retail cd for the first time. After that I can't have reboot to work and I'm stuck at ''verifying pool data'' after first reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy