Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

The shutdown issue after Audio is installed is resolved by using

HDA Fix v3 located here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/183080362/ALC268FIX.zip

CONFIRMED!!

Working audio is still temperamental though, requires a couple of restarts.

I hadn't noticed that shutdown was failing with the modified AppleHDA.kext (I was always doing a reboot instead). But sure enough, looks like I was having the problem too. On the other hand, I don't have any flakiness problems with basic audio (the built-in speakers always work for me).

In the rapidshare package, it looks like most parts are not applicable, so I definitely wouldn't follow the install instructions therein. Those instructions include installing HDAEnabler (which would be a step backwards as the audio ioregistry entries are already being setup by my EFI string). I also wouldn't run the installer as this system doesn't have an alc268 codec.

So I assume all you did was run the "HDA Fix v3" application? Anyone have the source or at least the instructions for this application? Looks like the details are long lost along with taruga's wiki.

Sure would be nice to get off this old version of AppleHDA and onto the 10.5.6 version...

I've been asked what I did to IOPCIFamily to allow the video QE/CI to work properly.

I changed IOPCIFamily such that devices that are children of PCI bridges do not have their devicetree entries initialized via pciBridgeConnectDeviceTree(). The default behavior seems to leave any devices that are children of PCI bridges to be mis-initialized in the ioregistry. Here's my modified source if you're interested.

iopcifamily.1.2.src.zip

I hadn't noticed that shutdown was failing with the modified AppleHDA.kext (I was always doing a reboot instead). But sure enough, looks like I was having the problem too. On the other hand, I don't have any flakiness problems with basic audio (the built-in speakers always work for me).

In the rapidshare package, it looks like most parts are not applicable, so I definitely wouldn't follow the install instructions therein. Those instructions include installing HDAEnabler (which would be a step backwards as the audio ioregistry entries are already being setup by my EFI string). I also wouldn't run the installer as this system doesn't have an alc268 codec.

So I assume all you did was run the "HDA Fix v3" application? Anyone have the source or at least the instructions for this application? Looks like the details are long lost along with taruga's wiki.

Sure would be nice to get off this old version of AppleHDA and onto the 10.5.6 version...

All you need is to run HDA Fix v3, the other files in there are for another sound card. You want to apply the Fix to the AppleHDA you supplied in the first post. I could have uploaded just HDA Fix, but that link was already available for a different model. The rest of the stuff and instructions are garbage.

I've been asked what I did to IOPCIFamily to allow the video QE/CI to work properly.

I changed IOPCIFamily such that devices that are children of PCI bridges do not have their devicetree entries initialized via pciBridgeConnectDeviceTree(). The default behavior seems to leave any devices that are children of PCI bridges to be mis-initialized in the ioregistry. Here's my modified source if you're interested.

If you startup the machine with something connected to the VGA port, the screen comes up black on the laptop and it doesn't put output to the external monitor either.

Uh...glitch? Is the hybrid power switching supposed to work? What about mirror display support.

All you need is to run HDA Fix v3, the other files in there are for another sound card. You want to apply the Fix to the AppleHDA you supplied in the first post. I could have uploaded just HDA Fix, but that link was already available for a different model. The rest of the stuff and instructions are garbage.
So I surmised :rolleyes: So, any info on the source for this application (who wrote it, what exactly is it supposed to tweak, etc? It seems odd that this fix only exists as an abandoned binary from a deleted thread.

If you startup the machine with something connected to the VGA port, the screen comes up black on the laptop and it doesn't put output to the external monitor either.

Uh...glitch? Is the hybrid power switching supposed to work? What about mirror display support.

Hmm, babs had reported over here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1113493 that dual-monitor was working. I hadn't tried it. I also don't have a 9500m to test hybrid power. I assume that won't work until someone completes the EFI string for the 9200m part (per my first post). Anyone try that yet?

So I surmised -_- So, any info on the source for this application (who wrote it, what exactly is it supposed to tweak, etc? It seems odd that this fix only exists as an abandoned binary from a deleted thread.

Hmm, babs had reported over here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1113493 that dual-monitor was working. I hadn't tried it. I also don't have a 9500m to test hybrid power. I assume that won't work until someone completes the EFI string for the 9200m part (per my first post). Anyone try that yet?

For Windows I am aware of a free app called Process Monitor, which logs registry, file system and network access from any processes or applications you want to monitor. I suppose we could see what HDA Fix is doing if we had something similar for Mac. Honestly, the shutdown issue is a long-standing issue with many machines across many releases. Whatever it does should be implemented as "standard-issue" in AppleHD.

Also, can you upload the latest plist and AppleHDA file you are using (right out of the Extensions folder)? It seems weird that audio works consistently for you, but no one else. Is there a chance you uploaded a work-in-progress version of the files in your first post?

Also, can you upload the latest plist and AppleHDA file you are using (right out of the Extensions folder)? It seems weird that audio works consistently for you, but no one else. Is there a chance you uploaded a work-in-progress version of the files in your first post?

Try this version of AppleHDA.kext. I am guilty of having many versions floating around as I've tried a lot of things to try and get the mics working (I did eventually get the digital mic working under gnome under linux for anyone keeping track :hysterical: .)

The EFI plist in my first post is current.

[Edit: Newer version of AppleHDA.kext moved to first post in thread]

lol bcc9 XD..Im going to try in like 1 hour...just downloaded the new kext, I swear that if its becuase of the kext I KEEL YOU! lmao just joking..but now i got my spot stolen, I though about asking this like 1 week ago or more..but i said "nooo, imposible" lol!

Ill report back in a while!

Cheers

Nano

edit: I dont know if you all had noticed, but transmac doesnt detect the hdd..so its imposible to work in osx volume with it.

edit2: Oh theres a new version I guess for new MB, so that should work fine

edit3: bcc9! I KEEL YOU!! lmao.....its working just fine ^^!!! thanks for all your hard work dude!

So with the newer version of AppleHDA your speakers finally work 100%, right?

I feel real bad that I had posted a flaky version until now. My only defence is that I had thought that the Info.plist change between versions had made no difference on my system. Looks like I had been faked out by kextcache not always updating the cache when I was testing changes.

Perhaps someone else should double check my work and try getting the 10.5.5/10.5.6 versions of AppleHDA working.

lol bcc9 XD..Im going to try in like 1 hour...just downloaded the new kext, I swear that if its becuase of the kext I KEEL YOU! lmao just joking..but now i got my spot stolen, I though about asking this like 1 week ago or more..but i said "nooo, imposible" lol!

Ill report back in a while!

Cheers

Nano

edit: I dont know if you all had noticed, but transmac doesnt detect the hdd..so its imposible to work in osx volume with it.

edit2: Oh theres a new version I guess for new MB, so that should work fine

edit3: bcc9! I KEEL YOU!! lmao.....its working just fine ^^!!! thanks for all your hard work dude!

I don't know what made me think that maybe he posted a different version than what he was using, but Im glad I mentioned it. I will confirm its success shortly.

I don't know what made me think that maybe he posted a different version than what he was using, but Im glad I mentioned it. I will confirm its success shortly.

The old one worked better in 10.5.6. The new one, not at all. What Kernel are you guys using that its working?

kernel has nothing to do with audio.....but i tried 2 reboots and it worked fine..let me try again..

edit: booted again audio is just fine, try loading manually applehda.kext

go to terminal

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions

kextload AppleHDA.kext

and check if it loads..

The old one worked better in 10.5.6. The new one, not at all. What Kernel are you guys using that its working?
Vanilla 10.5.6.
bash-3.2$ ls -l mach_kernel
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  10318880 Nov 24 17:39 mach_kernel 
bash-3.2$ uname -a 
Darwin xs-studio-xps-1522.local 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Both versions of AppleHDA.kext that I posted were the same 10.5.3 versions with the same binary patched MacOS/AppleHDA; they differ by just 1 change to the main Info.plist.

Under System preferences->sound, make sure that your output device is set to "Internal Speakers" not "Headphones" as you'll only get speaker output if "Internal Speakers" is selected.

First of all, thank u guys for your great help, my english is bad cause im from ger. So i hope youll understand me. :-)

I used The XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1

Choosed only the appleNForceATA.kext

Now i have a problem to get sound. :-(

I used OSX-Tools 1.0 final for installing the AppleHDA_1340.2.kext.

In the About my mac menu now theres an Audio Entry, called:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Geräte-ID: 0x10280271

Audio-ID: 12

Verfügbare Geräte:

Mikrofon:

Verbindung: Intern

Lautsprecher:

Verbindung: Intern

Mikrofon:

Verbindung: 1/8 Zoll-Buchse

But i have no sound, and when i choose Audio/Midi Setup in my Program Folder there isn a Audio-Output for choosing. :-(

I tried the voodooHDA.kext, there i had the chance to choose an Audio-Output in Audio/Midi Setup. I also had sound when i played a music file, but the sound was really noisy, not usable.

So i deinstalled the voodooHDA.kext.

But how can i get sound with the AppleHDA.kext?

Oh, one point at last, if i go to my Extensions Folder, there are 2 Entries for AppleHDA.kext when i install it.

AppleHDA.kext

- no package entries inside

A Folder called AppleHDA.taruga

-inside the folder are the files:

info.plist

version.plist

and a MacOS/PlugIns/Resources Folder

Here is a list of all kext with Audio or HDA in the name:

AppleFWAudio.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleOnboardAudio.kext

AppleUSBAudio.kext

AudioDeviceTreeUpdater.kext

AudioIPCDriver.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

VirtualAudioDriver.kext

I hope these infos can get a solution for my problem. :-)

I also installed Win XP over VMWare Fusion2, but there i cant install the win-xp audio driver for the intern soundcard.

First of all, thank u guys for your great help, my english is bad cause im from ger. So i hope youll understand me. :-)

I used The XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1

Choosed only the appleNForceATA.kext

Now i have a problem to get sound. :-(

Did you remember to apply my EFI plist changes to com.apple.boot.plist?

I was getting the weirdest behavior. After I rebooted after applying the new AppleHDA.kext and clearing the Extension cache, the file size of AppleHDA would change to 8kb (from 1.2MB), additionally there was a file being generated called AppleHDA.karuga. It did this after OSX86 Tools or Kext Helper performed the install and even after the manual install.

I did a fresh OSX86 install and fed the driver again...success!

One note, the driver defaults to head-phones, supposed to internal speakers,

so you don't really know if its working until you manually change it in Preferences.

Go to System/Library/Startup Items or? Library/startupitems, and check if yu have something about applehda, (whatever that says HDA). If yes delete it, I was having the same problem, by any chance did you installed the "Shut down fix" someone posted?.......

If you see the record in the folder, delete it and try again!

cheers

I was getting the weirdest behavior. After I rebooted after applying the new AppleHDA.kext and clearing the Extension cache, the file size of AppleHDA would change to 8kb (from 1.2MB), additionally there was a file being generated called AppleHDA.karuga. It did this after OSX86 Tools or Kext Helper performed the install and even after the manual install.

I did a fresh OSX86 install and fed the driver again...success!

One note, the driver defaults to head-phones, supposed to internal speakers,

so you don't really know if its working until you manually change it in Preferences.

It was the HDA Shutdown Fix. It appears to have its own cache. The same behavior began after I got the new AppleHDA working but after the HDA Fix.

This kind of answers bcc9's question about what the patch does.

It appears to be a loader. It renames the actual driver kext (AppleHDA.kext)

to AppleHDA.karuga (which isn't loaded by the OS without the .kext file extension) and creates a 8kb file called AppleHDA.kext (I would assume the loader) which runs when the OS starts.

I would assume that a working Battery meter and a working CPU/GPU fan will be moved to the top of the priority list?

That's pretty confusing that the "HDA Fix v3" app renames AppleHDA to AppleHDA.taruga.

I would assume that a working Battery meter and a working CPU/GPU fan will be moved to the top of the priority list?
My CPU fan throttles down automatically when I install the speedstep enabling kext from my first post.

As for the battery, should I assume you're volunteering to look into why AppleACPIEC doesn't load?

I could really use some help on the non-working components! Such as:

* For the battery status and lid, the ACPI devices show up. If you install VoodooBattery http://www.superhai.com/files/leopard/rele...attery.kext.zip the battery icon shows up but the battery remains unavailable. Looks to me like this is because no ACPI events ever go thru. This in turn is apparently due to lack of working ACPI event controller (AppleACPIEC plugin doesn't load, nor does AppleSMBusPCI). I think both of these should be loading OK since the controller hardware is the same as for the unibody macbook (nvidia mcp79).

I tried VoodooBattery and i got NOTHING not even the battery showing up, VoodooPower will make the system unbootable, so no clue.

PS. How do you know genericcpupowermanagement.kext is working? I mean how do you noticed it?

Cheers

edit: At least in my system AppleACPIPEC is loaded, aswell as AppleSMBusPCI....

thousands of thnx :-)

The HDA Shutdown Fix was the bug, i did a fresh installation, cause first time i had some crashes after using some cpu- and batterymonitoring displays.

Now ive a clean installation, with a backup for testing some other kext. :-)

Whats up with wlan? I heard that most of Atheros WLAN Modules still work, but not the 1515, is there a chance that this work next time or should i buy an other wlan card for my hackintosh next time?

Is it possible to backup the system over an extern firewire hd? I heard that its possible to boot per firewire. But the 1340 had only 400 FW, and the little port...

I tried VoodooBattery and i got NOTHING not even the battery showing up, VoodooPower will make the system unbootable, so no clue.
With voodoobattery, if you manually kextload, you have to logout&log back in to see the battery icon in the menu bar.

Yes, voodoopower crashes the system, as does voodoopowermini. Time to send superhai a bug report (or start debugging the source).

PS. How do you know genericcpupowermanagement.kext is working? I mean how do you noticed it?
First & foremost you notice the system runs cooler since it throttles the cpu, and so the cpu fan runs less. You can quantitatively see this by running cpu-x and watching the multiplier and core speed change dynamically.

edit: At least in my system AppleACPIPEC is loaded, aswell as AppleSMBusPCI....
They load momentarily but then auto-unload since they fail to work. Without an ACPI event controller voodoobattery is deaf and so doesn't see the dynamic battery state.

thousands of thnx :-)

The HDA Shutdown Fix was the bug,

So what is the bug you were seeing? Others didn't report a problem using the shutdown fix. Maybe you ran the other portions of that .zip that don't apply to IDT audio?
Whats up with wlan? I heard that most of Atheros WLAN Modules still work, but not the 1515, is there a chance that this work next time or should i buy an other wlan card for my hackintosh next time?
So I addressed the 1515 here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1133166

The only things I can add are that the press-release is from November 2007 so the wait for a supported driver may be very long or infinite. You could swap the mini pci-e card in the mean time if it's important to you.

Is it possible to backup the system over an extern firewire hd? I heard that its possible to boot per firewire. But the 1340 had only 400 FW, and the little port...
Dunno, but you're right the firewire port is bandwidth constrained, I'd use the esata port for better performance with sata external disks (I boot OSX off of esata actually).

First & foremost you notice the system runs cooler since it throttles the cpu, and so the cpu fan runs less. You can quantitatively see this by running cpu-x and watching the multiplier and core speed change dynamically.

I don't doubt that SpeedStep is working, that is what was supposed to be handled by the kext. I believe the cooler temperature is a direct result of SpeedStep lowering the CPU voltage on idle time, not the fan. I have yet to hear or feel the CPU/GPU fan kick in, which worry's me. This model is notorious for heat issues. With Vista, the notebook regularly kicks the fan on and off...you can feel the breeze in the rear left. I am going to open it up and physically watch the fan to confirm, but I was under the assumption that the OS wasn't equipped to control the fan on this chipset.

Has anyone actually felt air blow out the rear? Don't confuse the normal diffusion of heat from the rear as current from the fan. This lil {censored} runs hot.

I don't doubt that SpeedStep is working, that is what was supposed to be handled by the kext. I believe the cooler temperature is a direct result of SpeedStep lowering the CPU voltage on idle time, not the fan.
Like I said, with the kext I provided, the CPU multiplier changes dynamically based upon CPU load. The cooler temperature is because the lower multiplier uses less voltage.

On the dell 1340, the CPU fan varies between about 4 different speeds (off, low, high, real high) based upon temperature.

Under OSX, when my temp is low the fan is off. When the temp is a bit higher my fan is on low.

Meh, I think the laptop gets pretty hot, so to be honest I disconnected the blue wire from the fan controller, now its high speed all the time and waaaaaaay more cooler............

Bcc9, Ill check with cpu-x...also..do you use disabler.kext?

Cheers....