Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

So I've been working on the resume from sleep issues and I've found that the only thing which has been preventing the system from being able to return to sleep after the first wakeup were those pesky "FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!" log messages. The log messages were keeping syslogd busy and thus preventing the system from going idle.

I haven't figured out a root fix for waking the firewire driver properly, but a workaround follows.

Install sleepwatcher&its enclosed startup package, from here: http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/

Add these two lines to the end of /etc/rc.wakeup:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext

Viola, the firewire driver picks up the proper GUID upon wake from sleep.

Note that the unload has to happen here *after* the wakeup, not before, else the GUID gets stuck at 0000000000000000 until you completely power off the laptop. Weird huh?

Anyways, this workaround is good enough for me for now as I barely ever use the firewire anyways (ESATA is faster).

If you like the sleepwatcher workaround, you can also use it to fix the trackpad upon resume in the same way (here I'm assuming you're using the stock ps2 kexts not the voodoo versions):

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

rc.wakeup.zip Heres the rc.wakeup with the firewire entries and VOODOOPS2 entries....works just fine, thanks bcc9

edit: whats your battery life under osx? thanks..

edit2: I used the rc.wakeup thing...but on 2nd sleep-wake it kernel paniced lol

So I got the built-in bluetooth (dell bluetooth 370) to work under OSX. I posted the command line application I wrote that enables it over here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1187951

Bluetooth resets itself back to HID mode after resume from suspend, so it looks like you'll need to run this from /etc/rc.wakeup as well.

Horray I finally can use my bluetooth mouse's scroll wheel under OSX.

rc.wakeup.zip Heres the rc.wakeup with the firewire entries and VOODOOPS2 entries....works just fine, thanks bcc9

edit: whats your battery life under osx? thanks..

edit2: I used the rc.wakeup thing...but on 2nd sleep-wake it kernel paniced lol

Since voodoops2controller breaks a couple keys such as the backquote/tilde key, I don't use it. Do you have a fix for those keys with voodoops2 or don't you use those keys? :D In any case, I assume your panic is with voodoops2; you tell us (from the panic message and/or by narrowing it down).

I have my system configured to sleep after 1 minute of idle time, and so it's been sleeping&resuming dozens of times this weekend no problemo.

As for battery, yes it'd be interesting to test the claim that macbooks sip less power running OSX than windows by testing the same with this notebook. But I'm not going to put the wear on my battery to benchmark it. My dellbook is stuck plugged in when I'm using OSX as I have OSX on an esata desktop drive.

Dell 1515 802.11 wireless (atheros ar9280 aka ar5009). However some systems ship with the older Dell 1510 802.11 which is broadcom based and works. According to Atheros' press release in 2007 the 1515 supports OSX. So I think we basically just need to keep waiting for Atheros or Apple to publish the alleged driver. That is unless someone wants to roll their own based upon the linux version. I certainly don't care enough to do that.

Just a note on this if you haven't looked into it already, it seems Snow Leopard may have a working driver for ar5009/9280 in it's IO80211Family.kext, however due to changes in the networking component, it is not directly compatible with 10.5. I may have the file(IO80211Family.kext) laying around here somewhere if you'd like to verify this or can find out anything useful from it, although I doubt there's much we can do with it. It's no good to us right now, but maybe once we find a way to get 10.6 running on here it'll be good to know.

-Wynter Woods

@bcc9, curious.....how do you give power to the external hdd? I always wondered how are you supposted to power a e-sata drive.......My desktop motherboard has both cables, power and data, but laptops...or my case that has a frontal e-sata.....I just dont understand

Since voodoops2controller breaks a couple keys such as the backquote/tilde key, I don't use it.

The source is open and available over at the Chameleon website. When I get a chance (have to reinstall XTools) I may see if I can mod it to work with our hardware. Should be pretty simple to change the ASCII its reporting on those bad keys, and since I don't have class for a week, I think i have the time.

@bcc9, curious.....how do you give power to the external hdd? I always wondered how are you supposed to power a e-sata drive.......My desktop motherboard has both cables, power and data, but laptops...or my case that has a frontal e-sata.....I just dont understand

Much like USB powered devices, your port needs to be able to provide enough Juice. Laptops are notorious for not being able to provide enough power to larger devices (3.5" HD's, external roms, etc.) and usually require a powered hub (one that has an AC adapter that plugs in to the wall). That is also assuming that OS X isn't just not seeing the device because it doesn't have drivers for the eSata controller. I don't use it so I am not sure of OS X sees it.

Also many eSATA enclosures come with power adapters, so you can run a eSATA cable to your notebook and a power cable to the wall. If you are talking a little Notebook HD, you should be okay with just the SATA port power.

@pmcnano

You going to give me some notes on the CPU/GPU fan modification you did?

Oh, about the e-SATA thing, its just..I know if its a 3.5..its a dead end you NEED external power..but a 2.5 one its possible, but I think its a special cable...

Anyway, sorry I totally forgot about your request..Of course I will! Let me take some pics this afternoon and Ill upload them for you :)....its pretty simple though...........

and @bcc9..meh you did it again.....I see us now with full usable BT in 1 week thanks to you....

Cheers

Nano

@bcc9, curious.....how do you give power to the external hdd? I always wondered how are you supposted to power a e-sata drive.......My desktop motherboard has both cables, power and data, but laptops...or my case that has a frontal e-sata.....I just dont understand
I was originally referring to 3.5" HDs, but for 2.5" esata, I like&have this enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ill%20rx81us-ht

It includes a USB->power cable with which the xps 13 can power a notebook drive just fine. So, 1 cable to the esata port to provide the data connection, 1 cable to the usb port to provide the power. If you don't like using up both ports on the laptop, one could also use a regular usb wall wart (like the iphone's) to power the drive instead.

Note that ESATA is flaky on the xps 13 and so you need a drive with which you can disable 3.0gbps to make it reliable. Currently I can't use my fancy 2.5" enclosure because of this problem :thumbsup_anim:

and @bcc9..meh you did it again.....I see us now with full usable BT in 1 week thanks to you....
What do you mean, it is fully usable now. Just install my hid2hci application somewhere and add it to /etc/rc.wakeup.

Just a note on this if you haven't looked into it already, it seems Snow Leopard may have a working driver for ar5009/9280 in it's IO80211Family.kext,
Good news. I'd be happy to try and verify that it's in there, tho who knows for certain until that release finally ships.

Maybe they'll add that driver into 10.5.8, since that's apparently now in the works?

It includes a USB->power cable with which the xps 13 can power a notebook drive just fine. So, 1 cable to the esata port to provide the data connection, 1 cable to the usb port to provide the power. If you don't like using up both ports on the laptop, one could also use a regular usb wall wart (like the iphone's) to power the drive instead.

Im pretty sure theres this "special" e-sata cable that can power up the drive too.......thats why I was asking :)

What do you mean, it is fully usable now. Just install my hid2hci application somewhere and add it to /etc/rc.wakeup.

I mean, without running any app :(

Im pretty sure theres this "special" e-sata cable that can power up the drive too.......thats why I was asking :)
A standard way for that was only introduced with the sata 6 spec doesn't seem to even be out yet, and so not with this notebook.

I mean, without running any app :(
Dell's official unix support for this laptop makes use of hid2hci. See this post from Dell's linux engineering, where they run the hid2hci application after resume from suspend:

http://markmail.org/message/q4kd7wjtwwoksiyh

I'd think the right architecture would be for hid2hci to be a plugin to the bluetooth stack, but I don't know how to retrofit that into a binary only kext. It's not like apple provided source or even a low level API for their bluetooth stack.

Summary: Aint gonna happen AFAIK

Anyone else noticing that the battery time remaining is reversed from the percentage charge?

If your battery is at 1%, time left shows about an 1.5 hours of time left. When the battery is at 100% charged, the time icon shows 15 seconds of life.

how would you go about uninstalling voodoops2controller?

I tried and got kernel panic, when i moved everything what i thought was changed to its place

also is there a stand alone "terminal" program so you don't wait for cd to load?

Note that ESATA is flaky on the xps 13 and so you need a drive with which you can disable 3.0gbps to make it reliable. Currently I can't use my fancy 2.5" enclosure because of this problem :)

Hello, 1st post but ive been following for a while. i havent found any problem running osx via esata. i have osx and ubuntu set to dual boot on my ext hd and win vista & 7 on my int. the only slight issue ive had was initially setting up ubuntu and osx to dual boot without chameleon and only using grub. but then im a noob. you do have to change bios boot settings everytime you disconnect your esata device tho. but, meh...

i did want to say that ive not experienced any issues with devices set to 3gbps on my xps 13

Oh, about the e-SATA thing, its just..I know if its a 3.5..its a dead end you NEED external power..but a 2.5 one its possible, but I think its a special cable...

Nano

im aware of a special cable hack that a guy made to take power from a usb/esata port while using the esata connection. the cable then split at the other end into a esata and a mini usb cable. im not that techno savy tho.

Bcc9, this is the IO80211Family.kext from 10.6 I received the other day from someone on an IRC room the other day. I do not personally own a copy of Snow Leopard to verify this, but it seems legitimate considering all the difference in version numbers. Also, this kext does NOT load due to missing symbols.

As a side question, does anyone here know of open source atheros kexts for os x? I personally haven't found any, but maybe if there is one out there it could become a basis for porting the newer atheros models. I'm not the most skilled programmer in the world, but if I can learn more about IOKit and the way OS X sets up it's drivers then maybe I can get something. Just don't expect anything from me, I'm still trying to find good reference material to start with here.

-Wynter Woods

EDIT: The file is too big to fit into an upload in this thread, so I put it up here.

Anyone else noticing that the battery time remaining is reversed from the percentage charge?

If your battery is at 1%, time left shows about an 1.5 hours of time left. When the battery is at 100% charged, the time icon shows 15 seconds of life.

With my battery full the icon computes about 3:00 remaining. Check the 'charge remaining' entry under the power tab under system profiler.

Hello, 1st post but ive been following for a while. i havent found any problem running osx via esata. i have osx and ubuntu set to dual boot on my ext hd and win vista & 7 on my int. the only slight issue ive had was initially setting up ubuntu and osx to dual boot without chameleon and only using grub. but then im a noob. you do have to change bios boot settings everytime you disconnect your esata device tho. but, meh...

i did want to say that ive not experienced any issues with devices set to 3gbps on my xps 13

Hmm, I have multiboot working fine without having to change bios settings. Grub on the internal disk can chainload chameleon on the external disk. Anyways, are you sure that your disk is running at 3gbps? I've tried several different enclosures&disks&esta cables and always have a problem after a bit (the drive mounts fine but hangs after use) if the connection is at 3gbps.

There are many models of external enclosures whose sata+usb bridge chip limit the speed to 1.5gbps even when the jumper is set to 3.0gbps. For example all of the "dock" variety of external enclosures.

Under vista's device manager check IDE controller->NVIDIA nForce SATA->The port you're using externally->Speed test, and I bet it'll report "The current transfer mode is SATA Generation 1.5G". I'd be very interested to know more if you really have it running at 3.0gbps.

im aware of a special cable hack that a guy made to take power from a usb/esata port while using the esata connection. the cable then split at the other end into a esata and a mini usb cable. im not that techno savy tho.
Did he use it with this laptop? Sounds like that would work. I should backpeddle and just say that with the "power over esata" standard being MIA, there seems to be no powered esata enclosures for sale in the US, and it's not clear whether esata+usb combo ports conform to the standard. There is this enclosure: http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/Geh...SATA_42465.html but US pricing&availablility&compatability info is missing. If the "power over esata" standard winds up simply being esata+usb combo ports then there's hope that we can eventually buy a solution without building a custom cable.

Bcc9, this is the IO80211Family.kext from 10.6 I received the other day from someone on an IRC room the other day. I do not personally own a copy of Snow Leopard to verify this, but it seems legitimate considering all the difference in version numbers. Also, this kext does NOT load due to missing symbols.
Yes, I see the right PCI entry in AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist for our wireless card:

<string>pci168c,2a</string>

I assume someone has already tried using this new AirPortAtheros.kext plugin with the old IO80211Family.kext?

As a side question, does anyone here know of open source atheros kexts for os x? I personally haven't found any, but maybe if there is one out there it could become a basis for porting the newer atheros models. I'm not the most skilled programmer in the world, but if I can learn more about IOKit and the way OS X sets up it's drivers then maybe I can get something. Just don't expect anything from me, I'm still trying to find good reference material to start with here.
AFAIK, all there is to work with is the linux source.

I would like to express gratitude to bcc9 and to confirm that hdmi and vga works.

no sound with hdmi though.

Cool, I wish someone could confirm that display port still works. I guess I'll just assume that it does and update the first post.

Sound over hdmi should be possible if someone wants to work on the nvidia mcp79 hdmi audio codec. It works under windows&linux... I'm not volunteering.

how would you go about uninstalling voodoops2controller?

I tried and got kernel panic, when i moved everything what i thought was changed to its place

You have to put your /System/Library/Extensions back into the state it was in before installing voodoops2controller. That'd include putting back AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, removing VoodooPS2Controller.kext, rebuilding the kext cache. voodoops2controller also installs an entry to /Library/LaunchAgents, and /Library/PreferencePanes. Hmm, there really should be an uninstaller for it..
also is there a stand alone "terminal" program so you don't wait for cd to load?
I don't know what you're getting at but yes terminal is in the utilities folder.

Yes, I see the right PCI entry in AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist for our wireless card:

<string>pci168c,2a</string>

I assume someone has already tried using this new AirPortAtheros.kext plugin with the old IO80211Family.kext? AFAIK, all there is to work with is the linux source.

yes, I have tried copying the AirportAtheros.kext plugin into the old IO80211Family.kext. I also tried replacing with the new IO80211Family, and even tried getting it to ask for older versions(versions available in 10.5.6) of certain libraries.

I have not however tried doing these in 10.5.7, because updating to 10.5.7 caused the boot to hang after a firewire error, and I can't find a fix for this. I'll probably end up reinstalling 10.5.6 and trying again.

I've been doing a bit more research, and there do seem to be some open source wireless drivers, but none of them are for Atheros. There is one I'm waiting for though, Project Camphor, which has not yet been released and currently only supports intel card, but it provides an API that should make wireless driver development easier, because only a chipset specific HAL would have to be developed. Once this is released I'll look into it some more.

EDIT: So I got 10.5.7 reinstalled over a clean installation, and got your kexts all in here. I tried copying the AirportAtheros.kext plugin from 10.6 into my IO80211Family.kext, and even made a few modifications to it's Info.plist to get kextload to try and load it, and now it's down to one slightly big issue:

wynter-woodss-mac-pro:~ zerotri$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/ appears to be loadable
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/
18AirPort_AthrFusion is not compatible with its superclass, 17IO80211Controller superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/
link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

So it looks like there are quite a few changes to the IO80211 API in Snow Leopard. Maybe if we can find a way to get the entire 80211Family.kext from Snow Leopard working we could finally have it, but that just gives me an error concerning an incompatibility with IOWorkLoop, which from what I read is used all across IOKit.

Hopefully we can get somewhere with this though.

-Wynter Woods

Hopefully we can get somewhere with this though.
Well I'm not surprised it won't load under 10.5.x. Easiest should be to just get a snow leopard hackintosh system running. I wouldn't bother trying to get a new source development initiative going when working binaries are already floating around, unless you just want to play with source.

I notice that netkas just posted changes to the chameleon boot loader for snow leopard.

PS: 10.5.6->10.5.7 upgrading works fine following netkas's instructions

Double post...

WTF, really my battery is messed up...in my last post about it i told you that i had a 25% wear level..(one day after i had 21% wear level).........now I have 13% lol so no leds turn on..this is really messed up!.....

This is what everest show:

Designed Capacity 62837 mWh

Fully Charged Capacity 54135 mWh

Current Capacity 54135 mWh (100 %)

I think the values that change is Designed capacity and the fully charged, im ALMOST sure that the fully charged capacity was 4xxxx before, so it was a 25% wear level..like this is so messed up! Ill call dell again! haha i want a 9cell battery ;) hahahah

This is what everest show:
Again, why are you trusting everest when its giving you results that don't make sense; why don't you go check the capacities reported by the OS built-in tools. For OSX, check what voodoopower is reporting under system profiler. My design capacity=remaining capacity=5661mah, as it was a few months ago.

because everest is reporting the values correctly....................When i press the battery button after some seconds I get NO LED now...when everest reported 25% wear level it was 1 Led, that is perfectly obvious......5 leds each led = 20% when I had 25% it was 1 LED now that i have 13% its 0 LEDS...everest is reporting the correct info extracted from the battery chip.........my battery is simply {censored}ed up! lol