Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

make sure to keep original file permissions when playing around with appleacpi, thats what messed me up last time i manually extracted original appleacpiplatform.kext and applied patched file to it, then used kext helper (fixed permissions w/ easy install button)

You are the savior! Damn! I thought I was going crazy and was about to give up. I've done everything right, except this. I just copied to the file over to S/L/E/AppleA.../Contents/MacOS/ and did chown on that file... i guess that wasn't good enough! kext helper is what solved the problem.

I think your discovery deserves to go on the front page! If it's not there yet. Because it was really frustrating if you are unaware of this.

Now everything works with the battery! Thanks to bcc9 and my comrade here. When I close the lid it goes to sleep. When I open it everything works, the touchpad and everything (I am using that dellmini driver and the preference pane for it, it's been updated recently - it's pretty nice now).

Thanks again!

I think your discovery deserves to go on the front page! If it's not there yet. Because it was really frustrating if you are unaware of this.
That is why my first post has mentioned kext helper all along.

I can't put all the hackintosh basics into this guide and still have a maintainable guide.

I probably should have just released my AppleACPIPlatform change as a binary patch but I don't know a friendly general purpose utility that manages that. (One would want the utility to verify a checksum on the binary before patching and the like.)

ahh i still dont think my dsdt is getting picked up. i put it in the extra folder, i changed the plist file inside the extra folder so my plist file looks like this.

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

All the kexts have been loaded properly im pretty sure, but still no battery. There isnt even a empty battery in the bar. So is there a way to figure out for sure if the dsdt is getting picked up? Because when i boot from chameleon i dont think it says anything about a dsdt. It says something about hibernation with some numbers i think, but no dsdt

EDIT: When i boot with -v it shows the voodoobattery in the commands so i assume its getting loaded. And its not highlighted or anything

i think ive found out why HDMI doesnt work...i dont know i might be wrong.

i think the hdmi port is on the 9200 chip, coz thats what i noticed when i installed the laptopvideo2go drivers on vista. without the 9200m enabled i dont think hdmi will...any hints on this? thanks.

wrong....what about laptops without 9200 chip? lol.... :D
Well I wouldn't put it that way but...

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, babs had reported here that dual-monitor was working.

I guess that's just with display-port and neither vga nor dvi/hdmi work. I just tried hdmi and it didn't work for me. But I don't have a 9200m part or display port to test with. Perhaps someone could clarify the exact configs in which dual monitor is working. I suspect it's a matter of coming up with the right graphics EFI string to make the other cases work. Probably just a simple NVCAP string change. For NVCAP, I've tried both the "real" macbook value of "05010000 00000100 06000000 0000010b 00000000" as well as my original "04000000 00000300 04000000 00000007 00000000" but it hasn't made a difference for DVI/HDMI. Update: VGA dual monitor works with the macbook NVCAP value I just listed.

Come on guys info has to flow both ways here.

I've simplified my DSDT patching instructions, as the com.apple.boot.plist part was unnecessary. (See first post).

I've also moved the resume-from suspend issues to the problem list at the end of the first post. (Nobody have any input on those??) I've noticed that the firewire & usb wakeup problems have affected other platforms but I've seen no description of a general purpose fix.

Ok, I figured it out. This NVCAP:

05010000 00000100 0E000000 0000010b 00000000

allows dual monitors to work with both VGA and DVI/HDMI.

Attached is an updated combined video&audio plist for folks to try.

[edit: combined plist moved to post #1]

Dude, I know i have said this like 1234124124 times, but thank you again, I will try it when I have time. Sorry for not being useful or helping but I had been REALLY REAAAAAALLLLYYY {censored} busy =(...........no time to dig on this {censored}......

Sorry and Thanks!

Nano

Hello ppl.....

first of all i just wanna say thank you to all the ppl who put in their hardwork to make os x on studio xps 13 possible...

pardon my language cuz m an indian and knowledge abt the topic cuz i am totally new to this forum and x86 scene in general... i got my studio xps 13 just a month ago... and havent even put leopard on it yet... m waiting for my retail dvds....

well i dont know if this could help you ppl but i read somewhere that in the new macbook which actually use nvidia's 9400 + 9600 cant use both gpus at the same time...

users have to switch power modes 'better battery mode' for 9400 and 'performance mode' for 9600 after which they have to log off and log back in to change gpu in use...

quite like in windows vista where gpus in use are switched according to power saver mode that is currently in use...

but since you already use mods for battery... may be that might be causing porblems with the osx...

just a suggestion...

carry on the good work ppl...

Ok, I figured it out. This NVCAP:

05010000 00000100 0E000000 0000010b 00000000

allows dual monitors to work with both VGA and DVI/HDMI.

Attached is an updated combined video&audio plist for folks to try.

dude!, ur the man! thanks alot. gonna try this out tonight!

Lol, bcc9 you are single handily pwning this topic.

I don't know how much feedback we can provide, but as I stated before I am willing to give you remote VNC capability to my build which has the m9500 video.

Also, what do I undo to stop sleep on LID close. Given all that stops working when the notebook goes to sleep, I would prefer my laptop stay on when I close the LID. Defeats the purpose of sleep if I have to restart anyway just to use my touchpad and other misc. items.

Sorry guys I wasn't directing my frustration at any person in particular. Just thought that with so many posts about external monitors somebody would have tried to narrow it down or play with NVCAP. NVCAP is easy compared to the rest of the problems with this laptop. I basically just guessed a working value based upon the slim "documentation" over here http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214 btw.

As for the lid close, just take out the " Notify(^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)" line from Device(LID) in the dsdt.dsl I made and recompile. Or perhaps OSX simply has a way to configure lid close behavior like other OSes? That'd be cleaner.

bcc9, i can confirm that hdmi works now. thanks man.

anyways, do you know of a way to get audio/line out working? (internal speakers work!)

voodoohda gives line out but, its distorted. hmm. i wish i knew more about this stuff to give you a hand, but sadly i dont.

ive got a retail version of 10.5.6 installed (updated to 10.5.7)

bcc9, i can confirm that hdmi works now. thanks man.
Great, now just need to have someone with displayport confirm that it's still working.

anyways, do you know of a way to get audio/line out working? (internal speakers work!)
I don't know what you mean as the audio out the headphones jacks work, it's just that the built-in speakers don't mute when a headphone jack is inserted. If someone wants to tinker with the pinconfig settings that could probably be fixed.

As for the lid close, just take out the " Notify(^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)" line from Device(LID) in the dsdt.dsl I made and recompile. Or perhaps OSX simply has a way to configure lid close behavior like other OSes? That'd be cleaner.

OS X does not (Hell of an oversight Apple!).

Here is a working solution for the rest of you tired of breaking everything when you close the lid.

Download an App called InsomniaX (v1.3.3 is latest), which adds an icon up by the wifi and battery icons. Then just click it and select "Enable Insomnia". You can close your lid and only the display will turn off (now that Bcc9 has LID close reporting). TrackPad, display and other stuff still works when you reopen lid.

Also ensure you set InsomniaX to load on Startup (one of the option from the drop down) if you want the behavior to continue next reboot.

Here's the link:

InsomniaX v1.3.3

Meh, I think the laptop gets pretty hot, so to be honest I disconnected the blue wire from the fan controller, now its high speed all the time and waaaaaaay more cooler...

I recently upgraded to the T9900 (3.06GHz) Processor. Runs great, but I saw my first heat related shutdown (only once the whole week) after I sat it on a comforter for a few hours which probably sponged the air intake vent and blocked the exhaust. It was even after I saturated the CPU and GPU with some high-quality (low heat conductivity resistance) thermal grease. @pmcnano, can you provide some detailed instructions on the fan mod to keep the fan at high all the time?

Some pics would be helpful (can be low rez like from a phone cam) and some brief instructions on removing the wire from connector without damaging anything.

My old T9800 is for sale if anyone is interested (2.93GHz, Insane 6MB cache). Worked fine in the Studio 13, no over heating.

I recently upgraded to the T9900 (3.06GHz) Processor. Runs great, but I saw my first heat related shutdown (only once the whole week) after I sat it on a comforter for a few hours which probably sponged the air intake vent and blocked the exhaust. It was even after I saturated the CPU and GPU with some high-quality (low heat conductivity resistance) thermal grease. @pmcnano, can you provide some detailed instructions on the fan mod to keep the fan at high all the time?

Some pics would be helpful (can be low rez like from a phone cam) and some brief instructions on removing the wire from connector without damaging anything.

My old T9800 is for sale if anyone is interested (2.93GHz, Insane 6MB cache). Worked fine in the Studio 13, no over heating.

how much are you selling it for? just the cpu or the whole laptop?

Great, now just need to have someone with displayport confirm that it's still working.

I don't know what you mean as the audio out the headphones jacks work, it's just that the built-in speakers don't mute when a headphone jack is inserted. If someone wants to tinker with the pinconfig settings that could probably be fixed.

yeah you are right. i totally missed that. hmm. other than the ones i found through search, can you recommend any good posts for pin config?

how much are you selling it for? just the cpu or the whole laptop?

CPU only, $350 + shipping. That beats anything on eBay + its a retail, not an OEM or engineering sample like they sell out of Hong Kong. I bought it from Lagoom.com only like a month and a half ago so its like new. I will give you 5 days to return. If you are serious about buying, I can PM you when it is listed on eBay (so Paypal will cover us both from "shady" stuff). Interested?

.Meh, Who sales monitors with display port? never seen one before..lol!
The higher end dell lcds all have them.

Display port avoids the dual-dvi kludge for higher resolutions, the licensing tax of hdmi, and has a standard small form factor (avoiding the mini dvi compatibility mess apple introduced).

other than the ones i found through search, can you recommend any good posts for pin config?

There's the king's patch hda thread, Madtux's How to patch AppleHDA.kext thread, and the posts about fixing speaker mute upon jack insertion on the dell 1535/1735.

Alternatively, someone could put effort into the sigmatel support in voodoohda.

I don't know how much feedback we can provide, but as I stated before I am willing to give you remote VNC capability to my build which has the m9500 video.
That's above&beyond what I'm willing to do. All I can do is keep steering you guys in the right direction to figure it out. The last time someone asked I wrote the following (but didn't hear back with any results from the recommendations):

"If I had such a system I'd proceed methodically adding attributes 1 by 1 to the EFI string, checking ioreg output to verify whether they worked.

Once you get the 2nd efi string somewhat populated, it'd be worthwhile to compare against the EFI string used for other hackintoshes with working SLI (particularly nvidia models). That should allow you to figure out what attributes are necessary&sufficient.

I suspect the problem attributes may be the VRAM and NVCAP entries. I'd verify under windows how much vram is reported to be used by the 9200m part vs the 9400m part. I'd try all of the well known NVCAP values in addition to the one I used for the 9400m part."

You'd start filling in the 2nd video efi string using the devicepath I posted in post #1.

Like I posted before, Im not sure of what Im saying but as it is stated here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...view=getnewpost

MAYBE its an issue with the 9200GS and not with the 9500M (both graphic cards fighting for display).

I have tried injecting values, the probem comes exactly when adding displays to the 9200GS entries.

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>

that will make the computer not to start..

Like I posted before, Im not sure of what Im saying but as it is stated here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...view=getnewpost

MAYBE its an issue with the 9200GS and not with the 9500M (both graphic cards fighting for display).

I have tried injecting values, the probem comes exactly when adding displays to the 9200GS entries.

<key>@1,compatible</key>

that will make the computer not to start..

Well I've had multiple users contacting me privately about this (which isn't so great as this is a public problem not a private one), and my above quote was what I sent to a different user. Anyways your plist fragment makes no sense as "@1,compatible" is the key and you haven't specified a value for the key. You might want:

<key>@1,compatible</key>
	  <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

and the other line you have pertains to the key-value pair:

<key>@0,name</key>

Has anyone yet looked at working ioreg info from a macbook that has 2 nvidia video devices?