Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Ok, I've updated my appleacpiplatform patch. The new version (v2) no longer breaks sleep functionality. So sleep & resume now work again. In fact, my built-in mouse seems to be working fine upon resume as well which is new. Sleep & resume work via the lid as well.

built-in mouse= aka touchpad?????

lol....so many progresses, sorry I couldnt help....I have been busy lately.....veeeery busy, and well as I told you before I think you are waaaay above of me in knowledge =(..damn you!...but thank you!

built-in mouse= aka touchpad?????
Yes, by built in mouse I meant the synaptics touchpad. As opposed to my external bluetooth mouse which has been working across suspend/resume all along.

Anyways I think the snappier suspend/resume timings have fixed the touchpad timeouts that used to cause it to stop working upon wakeup. The touchpad now always works for me, and I'm pretty happy about that. But since the fix is apparently time dependent, I'd be interested to know if it works for everyone else too.

With so many things now fixed, I've got some more suspend/resume issues to bring to the list (I've seen these issues all along but they were low priority until the ACPI controller worked):

[edit: moved this list to end of post #1]

Forgive me for the noob question, but I'm a little hazy on how to add/get the dsdt files working? Could you go into that a little more? I read some of your instructions but I'm still unsure. What am I supposed to be using and how does it work? Thanks! Great job so far btw! Its come a long way.

Forgive me for the noob question, but I'm a little hazy on how to add/get the dsdt files working? Could you go into that a little more? I read some of your instructions but I'm still unsure. What am I supposed to be using and how does it work? Thanks! Great job so far btw! Its come a long way.

I would like to ask the same thing. I have chameleon 2 rc1, and i am clueless about dsdt. I read everywhere people say just put to root directory or /Extra ... but i did and nothing happens. What am I missing?

Nothing will happen different....You just have to copy the dsdt.aml to the root. Thats all

@everyone:

Have you checked your battery wear level??? My laptop has..2 months??? 2 and a half??.......it has 21% wear level!! WTF?!?!?! meh.....

I checked it with Everest under windows...

@bcc9:

my trackpad doesnt work after sleep :sorcerer:

For DSDT overriding I have not seen proper documentation for the boot loaders so I'm not sure what the best instructions are. The XxX distro is chameleon 1.0.11 based and I don't think it includes support for DSDT override.

So here's what I did.

• Update bootloader to the Chameleon-2.0-r431 revision. (I'd provide a link but this board software is disallowing me.)
  • create /Extra directory and place dsdt.aml from my dsdt.zip into /Extra/DSDT.aml.
  • copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
  • Add <key>DSDT</key><string>DSDT.aml</string> to the plist in /Extra

To verify that the dsdt was loading I used a high speed camera to see the DSDT.aml loading diagnostic, which is displayed for about .3 seconds before the screen clears. Really.

Viola. I'm sure there's a slightly simpler way so if someone has found those instructions please chime in.

[update: removed unnecessary steps]

Nothing will happen different....You just have to copy the dsdt.aml to the root. Thats all
What boot loader are you using?
Have you checked your battery wear level??? My laptop has..2 months??? 2 and a half??.......it has 21% wear level!! WTF?!?!?! meh.....

I checked it with Everest under windows...

How is that measuring wear? Under linux my battery says 5561mAh design capacity, and 5661mAh last full capacity, and so 100% capacity is available. Under OSX, system profiler->power tab concurs. When the battery is worn you can't charge it up to the design capacity.
my trackpad doesnt work after sleep sad.gif
Still time dependent it seems. When I was playing with USB power states the other day it was working upon every resume but today it's back to not working upon resume.

Does anybody know how to install the dsdt if you are using easybcd?. Unfurtunally the first time i tryed it i didnt put in the dsdt after putting in the voodoo batery and new appleacpiplatform and i got a kernal panic (at least i think thats what is was), and osx wouldnt boot. So now that ive re-installed the system, do i just follow the same instrustions that i would if i had chamillion set up or do i do something else? And i dunno, i dont feel that comfortable creating folders in the system folder until i know what im doing.

Eh, well you can check it with Everest under windows (with % result) or you can just....click de battery button...and keep it pressed, it will show you the battery charge first..and then the wear level. 1 month ago the wear level was 0 leds on, but now if i keep the button pressed, it will turn on 1 led..and everest will output 21% of wear level, I called dell support and they told me thats normal ({censored}, a friend of mine has a M1330, 8 months old...9% wear level)...anyway..it seems i have to {censored} my battery before my warranty expires to get it changed! =)! lol

Cheers nano :D

1. If updating to 10.5.7 what exactly is disabler kext? whats the procedure to update?

2. I also want to install Chameleon rc2.0 before I update, I got vista and os x on two different partitions, can I do it when I have EasyBCD w/ Windows Vista windows boot manager? currently I have two options to select on the windows boot screen WINDOWS VISTA and MAC OS, I downloaded the self extracting package of rc 2.0 so can I just install it to active os x partition? I am about to try and see what happens...

3. After all that I want to fix the battery by putting modified dsdt.aml into extra folder but I currently have a07 bios, A08 bios came out also, which will need a different dsdt.aml file? how do you get new updated DSDT.AML for new bios? I guess I would need some programs to extract and modify that file... and how would you know if dell fixed issues in that version that caused problems before?

also for some reason sleep works fine before installing optional ps2controller gestures. I put it to sleep close the lid open it back up and all the functions work as they should.

For DSDT overriding I have not seen proper documentation for the boot loaders so I'm not sure what the best instructions are. The XxX distro is chameleon 1.0.11 based and I don't think it includes support for DSDT override.

So here's what I did.

• Update bootloader to the Chameleon-2.0-r431 revision. (I'd provide a link but this board software is disallowing me.)
  • create /Extra directory and place dsdt.aml from my dsdt.zip into /Extra/DSDT.aml.
  • copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
  • Add <key>DSDT</key><string>DSDT.aml</string> to the plist in /Extra

To verify that the dsdt was loading I used a high speed camera to see the DSDT.aml loading diagnostic, which is displayed for about .3 seconds before the screen clears. Really.

Viola. I'm sure there's a slightly simpler way so if someone has found those instructions please chime in.

Thanks! I guess this is what I've been missing out.

Now the battery status is showing at least... but there is a big X inside of it and it says "No batteries available". I am wondering why though. can it be because of my bios version is different? I have A07.

click de battery button...and keep it pressed, it will show you the battery charge first..and then the wear level.
You lost me. Windows7 or vista? Which battery button? The one in the task bar does not behave that way, nor does the one in windows mobility center.

Also, still wondering which boot loader you're using that didn't require you to upgrade to chameleon 2rc to get dsdt.aml to load. I suspect you probably started out with chameleon 2 as I think you mentioned you were using a retail distribution of osx not XxX.

Now the battery status is showing at least... but there is a big X inside of it and it says "No batteries available". I am wondering why though. can it be because of my bios version is different? I have A07.

Well "no batteries available" means that battery status *isn't* working; you've only got voodoobattery to load.

I suspect either the dsdt change didn't take or appleacpiec is not running.

Boot with -v and look for DSDT "Method parse/execution failed" errors when voodoobattery runs. If you see those then the modified dsdt didn't load.

I don't think bios should matter as I've noticed that there have been absolutely no changes to DSDT between A06 bios and A08.

Hello,

Ok first about bootloader, I have always used Chameleon 2.

Now, sorry for not explaining correctly, when I talked about the "battery's button" i was talking about the ACTUAL battery's button. I mean, the battery itself has a button with 5 (or 4?) leds showing the charge.......but if you keep it pressed it will show you the "wear" (degrade) level. In my first month...if i keep pressed the button (fully charged) first it will display 5 leds on..and then they will just turn off! But now.......It displays 5 leds on..and then 1 led on, then I checked with Everest under Windows and yea I had (yesterday) a wear level of 21% BUUUUUUUUT LMAOXD..today my wear level is 25%..this is {censored} messed up.

Im just curious if it has something to do with OSX?..I asked in notebookreview forums (I saw you are talking there too) so we will have to see the answers.

Cheers, Nano

Ok first about bootloader, I have always used Chameleon 2.
Thought so. So your instructions don't generally apply as users who followed the guide would be using XxX and and older non-dsdt aware boot loader. I'll update my instructions a bit.

Now, sorry for not explaining correctly, when I talked about the "battery's button" i was talking about the ACTUAL battery's button. I mean, the battery itself has a button with 5 (or 4?) leds showing the charge.......but if you keep it pressed it will show you the "wear" (degrade) level. In my first month...if i keep pressed the button (fully charged) first it will display 5 leds on..and then they will just turn off! But now.......It displays 5 leds on..and then 1 led on, then I checked with Everest under Windows and yea I had (yesterday) a wear level of 21% BUUUUUUUUT LMAOXD..today my wear level is 25%..this is {censored} messed up.

Im just curious if it has something to do with OSX?..I asked in notebookreview forums (I saw you are talking there too) so we will have to see the answers.

Oh the physical battery button. Mine just goes blank after showing the 5 leds. My battery is 4 months old. Have you verified the battery remaining capacity reported under osx or linux? I wouldn't assume everest is giving you a reliable measurement.

Yes, I'm over at notebookreview too.

I currently got windows boot loader (vista) w/ easybcd running and then I installed chameleon on mac os partition it loads kexts, but I would like to somehow have only one boot manager so I somehow need to create its own efi partition. and boot through that.

I have successfully updated to 10.5.7 following this guide using delta update

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/05/update-...m-1056-to-1057/

now running 10.5.7 i try to do battery fix. Replacing the stock version in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS with patched one I get kernel panic. I have to manually get back into terminal and restore to original kext.

2. I also want to install Chameleon rc2.0 before I update, I got vista and os x on two different partitions, can I do it when I have EasyBCD w/ Windows Vista windows boot manager? currently I have two options to select on the windows boot screen WINDOWS VISTA and MAC OS, I downloaded the self extracting package of rc 2.0 so can I just install it to active os x partition? I am about to try and see what happens...
I have no experience with easbcd, but I multiboot vista,windows7, linux and osx. I have grub chainloading the osx boot loader (chameleon) and that works fine but is slightly clunky. Hopefully when grub2 is finished I can get rid of some boot stages. I installed chameleon 2 manually using the dd command; haven't tried the installer.

now running 10.5.7 i try to do battery fix. Replacing the stock version in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS with patched one I get kernel panic. I have to manually get back into terminal and restore to original kext.
There is only a *1 byte* difference in the patch I made to AppleACPIPlatform. Recommend you verify that with what you unpacked by running cmp -l. I suspect you introduced an ownership/permissions problem when copying over the patched version. Remember OSX is (strangely, unnecessarily) anal about kext permissions/ownerships.

Lol its actually ok, because as I said, its showing 1 led when keeping pressing the button.....now in OSX it shows me "Check battery" in health, yesterday it said "good" lol....... (yesterday 21% ineverest, today 25%..) So, can you check with everest?...

There is only a *1 byte* difference in the patch I made to AppleACPIPlatform. Recommend you verify that with what you unpacked by running cmp -l. I suspect you introduced an ownership/permissions problem when copying over the patched version. Remember OSX is (strangely, unnecessarily) anal about kext permissions/ownerships.

I see in the ownership your file appears to have "staff" while my original has "wheel" and system instead of username in your file

I see in the ownership your file appears to have "staff" while my original has "wheel" and system instead of username in your file
Zip files do not define the file ownership; that's left up to you and your unpacking/installing process. There are helper programs such as kext helper if you need help getting kext changes installed with the right permissions. I think osx86tools can manage the kexts for you as well.

Lol its actually ok, because as I said, its showing 1 led when keeping pressing the button.....now in OSX it shows me "Check battery" in health, yesterday it said "good" lol....... (yesterday 21% ineverest, today 25%..) So, can you check with everest?...

I do not use everest. Why don't you look at the actual capacity numbers instead, like I recommended? Check the difference between the design capacity (5661mAh) and the remaining capacity.

3. After all that I want to fix the battery by putting modified dsdt.aml into extra folder but I currently have a07 bios, A08 bios came out also, which will need a different dsdt.aml file? how do you get new updated DSDT.AML for new bios? I guess I would need some programs to extract and modify that file... and how would you know if dell fixed issues in that version that caused problems before?
I checked and there were no differences between a06 bios dsdt and a08 bios dsdt. You can check this for yourself by extracting the vanilla dsdt(s) and comparing the disassembled versions. If dell ever ships a dsdt fix I'll notice when I install the bios and disassemble the dsdt. There were some slight changes between a04, a05 and a06 for example.

I currently got windows boot loader (vista) w/ easybcd running...but I would like to somehow have only one boot manager...

Your boot manager is your preference. I have gotten it to work with BCDEdit (EasyBCD), Chameleon or grub. When you say multiple boot managers you just have to suppress the prompt (option screen) of the second manager.

For example if you want to use Chameleon and have Windows boot manager shut up, set your Windows partition active (so Windows thinks its in control; won't let you make adjustments to BCD unless its the active partition) use EasyBCD or BCDEdit to blow out all other boot entries, so Windows (BCD) only sees itself. Windows won't prompt you for a boot selection, it will just boot. Next make your Chameleon partition active.

Alternativly, you can shut Chameleon up (No boot prompt) by edititing its boot.plist removing the Timeout entry. Set the partition with Windows on it to be the "active" partition. Use BCDEdit to or EasyBCD to add entries for the Leopard install.

Both examples, you are prompted a single time, you pick your manager.

hmm i would try it, but everytime i try to install a distro, when i go in to diskutil, it screws up all my other partitions (ntfs partitions). any hints on that

The different partition tools partition differently. Yea, I know its supposed to be a standard, but if you partition with one tool, it may show a corrupt MBR or invalid partition table in another tool. Even Partition magic has trouble interpreting the partition tables after Leopard or Windows get threw setting them up (before an OS load).

Advice:

-Build your partitions from the command-line with their appropriate partition ID flag

(Example: A OS X partition in Windows Diskpart =

create partition primary id=af

Notice that DiskUtil and Diskpart use different flags for FAT32 [use what Leopard specifies; can't remember what it is; no 200GB limit unlike when Windows handles it]

)

-Build all partitions before loading any OS's

-Don't use any of the OS partition tools to change or re-create partitions (format for fresh installs, don't delete/recreate partition)

I am currently running 10.5.7 w/ battery :rolleyes:

here is what i did

download chameleon (must have latest version)

make sure to keep original file permissions when playing around with appleacpi, thats what messed me up last time i manually extracted original appleacpiplatform.kext and applied patched file to it, then used kext helper (fixed permissions w/ easy install button)

also sometimes i think you need to wait 5 sec before restarting i could still see mkext being modified automaticly.

placed dsdt.aml into /Extra (where my OSX is installed I don't have EFI partition to boot only w chameleon yet)

downloaded

plistedit pro inserted <key>........<key> stuff into com.apple.boot.plist like bcc9 mentioned to load DSDT on startup and VOILA working battery.

I have sleep/shutdown problems after installing voodoops2controller's optional touchpad and I have no clue how to uninstall it...???

ok, so im a little farther than i was yesterday, but im still a little unsure of this dsdt business. So i installed charmeleon and its running ok. But im still unsure of two things, i went to create an extra folder on my osx hdd (which i assume is root) but there was already an extra folder there which had my boot list already in there. So first i edited my boot list using osxtools and i realized that the changes never went to this plist inside the extra folder. So i have edited that so it should work. But i was also wondering where the dsdt file should actually go, does it go straight into the extra folder or do i create a folder called dsdt.aml in the extra folder, then put the actual file in there? Again thanks a bunch guys, this thread has single handedly got my system up and running

dsdt goes straight to extra folder /Extra/dsdt.aml and works with my a07 bios no problem as mentioned previously by bcc9.

Kext helper worked for me, just make sure when replacing appleacpiplatform in /system/library/extensions/appleacpiplatform.kext/contents/macos/ with appleacpiplatform patched file, your permissions for patched file after you place it in kext and run through kext helper are system(read/write) wheel(read) everyone(read)

inside /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist after you edit your code looks something like this:

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

battery icon should show up right after applying voodoobattery.kext I guess you should not restart if it doesn't might get kernel panics