• Please log in to reply
758 replies to this topic

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Try using the openhaltrestart kext from Jon55's set. I haven't gotten it working either but I haven't tried this.
Please report back.

Dlach, thanks. That did the trick. Restart is working like a charm and it is even sleeping now, which it was not before, although the sleep problems (no eth0) still persist.

About sleeping: does anybody have a clue what may be the root cause of it not working properly? Is it a question of drivers (kexts), or of a need to further adjust the BIOS and DSDT?

Regards

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Dlach, thanks. That did the trick. Restart is working like a charm and it is even sleeping now, which it was not before, although the sleep problems (no eth0) still persist.

About sleeping: does anybody have a clue what may be the root cause of it not working properly? Is it a question of drivers (kexts), or of a need to further adjust the BIOS and DSDT?

Regards

Thanks for letting us know. I don't know for sure why the sleep problems occur, but I suspect it is the DSDT. Looking at the DSDT from the MacBook, it seems to be doing more in the _WAK function that ours does. Also I think possibly just making sure all of the USB devices enumerate their buses may help. I've been more focused on the memory problem of late but ironically am more interested in sleep since it affects usability. I think it should be possible to get nForceLan working but I think you have to fiddle with the one of the other nforce ethernet kexts in IONetworkingFamily.

I'd love to rid us of the necessity of these kexts though and get the native audio resuming.

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Thanks for letting us know. I don't know for sure why the sleep problems occur, but I suspect it is the DSDT. Looking at the DSDT from the MacBook, it seems to be doing more in the _WAK function that ours does. Also I think possibly just making sure all of the USB devices enumerate their buses may help. I've been more focused on the memory problem of late but ironically am more interested in sleep since it affects usability. I think it should be possible to get nForceLan working but I think you have to fiddle with the one of the other nforce ethernet kexts in IONetworkingFamily.

I'd love to rid us of the necessity of these kexts though and get the native audio resuming.

If you would ask me, I think the sleep problem is much more anoying than the memory, even more as memory can be worked around with a graphics card. I personally love to leave my computers always on sleep. These Gigabyte boards are quite good (under Linux and Windows) on recovering from Sleep via USB mouse of keyboard (mine even wakes up via a hacked custom made IR receiver that controls XBMC under Linux). So, now it is time to learn some DSDT tweeking ...

Do you have any links with some DSDT guru that could help us?

wanky

wanky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

If you would ask me, I think the sleep problem is much more anoying than the memory, even more as memory can be worked around with a graphics card. I personally love to leave my computers always on sleep. These Gigabyte boards are quite good (under Linux and Windows) on recovering from Sleep via USB mouse of keyboard (mine even wakes up via a hacked custom made IR receiver that controls XBMC under Linux). So, now it is time to learn some DSDT tweeking ...

Do you have any links with some DSDT guru that could help us?

Hi rbonon,
I am also trying to get into DSDT stuff. Most of the information is dispersed over the Forum (my point of view). A good thread and guide to start is here.
I haven't manged to get my graphics card (espacially both of them 8600GTS & 9400) working yet, but still trying if I have the time ;).
Greetings
Wanky

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi rbonon,
I am also trying to get into DSDT stuff. Most of the information is dispersed over the Forum (my point of view). A good thread and guide to start is here.

Wanky,

that guide looks like a good starting point. But DSDT will require time and lots of knowledge building for me (fun at the end :D )

Hello all,

I am posting as a PDF the exact steps in which I applied Dlach's SL guide in my case.

I did some adaptations that may be interesting to others:
- Install from a single bootable USB stick
- Enable installation on MBR Hard disks
- Details on which Jon55's Kexts iin order to restart and sound working

Attached File  Snow_Leopard_on_Gigabyte_GA_E7AUM_D2SH.pdf   57.65KB   195 downloads

Regards

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Wanky,

that guide looks like a good starting point. But DSDT will require time and lots of knowledge building for me (fun at the end :) )

Hello all,

I am posting as a PDF the exact steps in which I applied Dlach's SL guide in my case.

I did some adaptations that may be interesting to others:
- Install from a single bootable USB stick
- Enable installation on MBR Hard disks
- Details on which Jon55's Kexts iin order to restart and sound working

Regards

Rbonon, nice concise write up. I will fix up post #1 with regard to the kexts and point people to your doc for MBR. That is a good MBR method and the one I use on my Dell 1530 which tri-boots OSX, Vista, Ubuntu. Since get OSX working, the only time I use anything else is Vista for the DSDT patcher.

Wanky and Rbonon,
Unfortunately I can't point you to any DSDT guru. I've been searching for info and found bits and pieces. The ACPI spec is supposed to be useful (all 700+ pages). When I look at DSDT.dsl files it seems like there are several ways of doing things (e.g. putting scope and methods inside a device block or keeping them separate). Right now I am trying to see what I can bring over from the macbook pro .dsl file posted by Milkwagon a couple of pages back.
Since that version of the macbook pro uses the nvidia 9400m chipset, I think there should be blocks we could directly use or at a minimum with some tweaking.

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Since get OSX working, the only time I use anything else is Vista for the DSDT patcher.

I just log into Windows to watch some 720p MKVs. Somehow (may be missingin something) it plays very slowly and drops frames on Snow Leopard, even with when using Mplayer. Other than that, doing everything on SL.

Since that version of the macbook pro uses the nvidia 9400m chipset, I think there should be blocks we could directly use or at a minimum with some tweaking.

What is the status on your machine right now? Is it only eth0 that do not resume properly from sleep. If that is the case, wouldn't it be easier or quicker instead of messing with DSDT, to trick the drivers, as you mentioned with the NForceLan?

Regards

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

I just log into Windows to watch some 720p MKVs. Somehow (may be missingin something) it plays very slowly and drops frames on Snow Leopard, even with when using Mplayer. Other than that, doing everything on SL.

Look at the guide on Leopard. There is an upstream driver you can remove to make MKVs play smoother.

What is the status on your machine right now? Is it only eth0 that do not resume properly from sleep. If that is the case, wouldn't it be easier or quicker instead of messing with DSDT, to trick the drivers, as you mentioned with the NForceLan?

Regards

Neither audio or LAN resume properly from sleep. I get around the audio problem with a usb audio device. I may play around some more with nForceLan but I am interested in getting the DSDT correct so that we don't need any of these kexts. And I am pretty sure it is possible since the macbook uses the same nForce chipset for LAN. Audio is another matter. I also want to understand the DSDT so I can work on other platforms.

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi,

for further verification: here is the debug folder from DSDT-Patcher by fassl running on a Mac mini 3,1 under SL.

Have much fun!

Attached Files

x4nd0r

x4nd0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Hi dlach,

Hoes the dtds comming allong, can you maybe an update what you are working on?

-X

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Hi dlach,

Hoes the dtds comming allong, can you maybe an update what you are working on?

-X

Not much progress lately. I have been working on trying to merge over sections of the macbook pro dsdt.dsl that Milkwagon posted.
Also in touch with Gigabyte re: how to patch the DSDT to keep OSX from writing into the video buffer.

Latest message from them:

"The bios was attached when system memory is greater than 2GB it will relocate Video Buffer (256MB) to TOM (Top Memory) -128MB location.
If system has 4GB plus some reserved memory then Video Buffer will be around location 0x70000000~0x7FFFFFFF.
The normal Video Buffer location should be 0xB0000000~0xBFFFFFFF
Because we already reserved the location for Video buffer at E820 and ASL code therefore Windows/Linux will not write/read from this area. We are not really sure how to help them because we are not familiar with OSX, maybe the problem is because OSX ignores the E820 and ASL therefore this problem is caused.

Please confirm whether if the problem occurs at 0x70000000~0x7FFFFFFF? "

armacell

armacell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I just ordered the mobo and the parts so i have a question :rolleyes: . What is the best way to dual boot win7 and snow? Should I install snow first and then win7 or the way around, or it doesn't matter?

x4nd0r

x4nd0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Rebel EFI
-----------

Any one tried this with this main board?

fparmentier

fparmentier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, Rebel EFI!

I'm following this topic for a while. Today I wanted to order the mainboard, seems it isn't available anymore:(

But anyway, I read about Rebel EFI on tweakers.net! It seems like the perfect solution. First I want to order the mainboard. Than I want to test the Rebel EFI and maybe the methods described here.

Felix

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Yeah, Rebel EFI!

I'm following this topic for a while. Today I wanted to order the mainboard, seems it isn't available anymore:(

But anyway, I read about Rebel EFI on tweakers.net! It seems like the perfect solution. First I want to order the mainboard. Than I want to test the Rebel EFI and maybe the methods described here.

Felix

Isn't this thing doing more or less the same as Chameleon?

armacell

armacell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Yup its hard to get the mobo. I ordered one and I hope i get it, but if I dont I will get a similar 9300 zotac. This rebel efi looks very interesting.

e60

e60

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 118 posts
Hey Guys,

once again I need your help. I have some problems getting SL installed. Here my system specs:

- CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400
- RAM: 2 GB GEIL Black Dragon
- MoBo: GA-E7AUM-DS2H flashed with Jon55´s Bios
- HDD: Samsung F1 HD103UJ SATA
- DVD: LG GSA-H62N SATA

When I try to use dlachs method the system freezes at this point:

Posted Image

With rbonons method at this point:

Posted Image

Ive exactly made everything both Guides instructed.

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hey Guys,

once again I need your help. I have some problems getting SL installed. Here my system specs:

- CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400
- RAM: 2 GB GEIL Black Dragon
- MoBo: GA-E7AUM-DS2H flashed with Jon55´s Bios
- HDD: Samsung F1 HD103UJ SATA
- DVD: LG GSA-H62N SATA

When I try to use dlach�s method the system freezes at this point:

With rbonon�s method at this point:

Posted Image

I�ve exactly made everything both Guides instructed.

I am guessing here, but I am not sure our methods work well with IDE drives (I see you have have an IDE HD). In my case I have an all SATA setup.

me@home

me@home

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hello,

1st - THANK you all for the kext, bios, guide here !

2nd - got my HD with 10.6.1 Server working on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, C2D 7400, 4x2GB, onboard NV9400:

* ONLY boots up when using 1x2GB Ram ! Have bios 3fa (x) installed.
* Sound is working (I use analog 2 channel)
* LAN = OK

Is there "hope" to get more RAM working on this mobo ? I have Win7 64bit which shows me all 8GB - have not tried to test if it's mem test stable.

How to tell max mem = 2GB ? So I can let the 4x2Gb Ram in the mobo (for W7).

Attached File  SL10.6.1_GA_E7AUM_DS2H_2009_10_24.jpg   579.6KB   27 downloads

e60

e60

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 118 posts
@rbonon
Oh, i´ve posted the wrong "screenshot". I am running everything on SATA and AHCI. For now I used a workaround. I´ve started my USB Stick with Rebel EFI Bootloader and then I was able to install SL. Unfortunately I´ve never worked with Terminal before. Is there another possibility to edit the files? Or could you maby give me a step by step instruction what I have to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy