[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

once again I need your help. I have some problems getting SL installed. Here my system specs:

- CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

- RAM: 2 GB GEIL Black Dragon

- MoBo: GA-E7AUM-DS2H flashed with Jon55´s Bios

- HDD: Samsung F1 HD103UJ SATA

- DVD: LG GSA-H62N SATA

When I try to use dlach´s method the system freezes at this point:

cdbootd6he.jpg

With rbonon´s method at this point:

usbhddboot26rf.jpg

I´ve exactly made everything both Guides instructed.

Hey Guys,

once again I need your help. I have some problems getting SL installed. Here my system specs:

- CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

- RAM: 2 GB GEIL Black Dragon

- MoBo: GA-E7AUM-DS2H flashed with Jon55´s Bios

- HDD: Samsung F1 HD103UJ SATA

- DVD: LG GSA-H62N SATA

When I try to use dlach�s method the system freezes at this point:

With rbonon�s method at this point:

usbhddboot26rf.jpg

I�ve exactly made everything both Guides instructed.

I am guessing here, but I am not sure our methods work well with IDE drives (I see you have have an IDE HD). In my case I have an all SATA setup.

Hello,

1st - THANK you all for the kext, bios, guide here !

2nd - got my HD with 10.6.1 Server working on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, C2D 7400, 4x2GB, onboard NV9400:

* ONLY boots up when using 1x2GB Ram ! Have bios 3fa (x) installed.

* Sound is working (I use analog 2 channel)

* LAN = OK

Is there "hope" to get more RAM working on this mobo ? I have Win7 64bit which shows me all 8GB - have not tried to test if it's mem test stable.

How to tell max mem = 2GB ? So I can let the 4x2Gb Ram in the mobo (for W7).

post-55980-1256383038_thumb.jpg

@rbonon

Oh, i´ve posted the wrong "screenshot". I am running everything on SATA and AHCI. For now I used a workaround. I´ve started my USB Stick with Rebel EFI Bootloader and then I was able to install SL. Unfortunately I´ve never worked with Terminal before. Is there another possibility to edit the files? Or could you maby give me a step by step instruction what I have to do?

Hello,

As of now, AFAIK, the only way to work around the 2Gb limitation is to use an add-on graphics card. If you are using the On-board graphics, you must not have more than 2Gb. This is something dlach is trying to correct, but I have little hope, as we depend on Gigabyte to fix/adapt stuff on the BIOS, and we are a small group of people, and the motherboard is getting more and more legacy, so we will get less and less attention from Gigabyte.

@rbonon

Oh, i´ve posted the wrong "screenshot". I am running everything on SATA and AHCI. For now I used a workaround. I´ve started my USB Stick with Rebel EFI Bootloader and then I was able to install SL. Unfortunately I´ve never worked with Terminal before. Is there another possibility to edit the files? Or could you maby give me a step by step instruction what I have to do?

So basically your problem is that the USB you prepared following my instructions is not booting, right? Things to check:

- Did you set your BIOS to allow USB stick to be boot first than the HD? (sorry but sometimes people forget this)?

- Did you partition your USB stick using MBR (under options)?

You can try a simple check. Take another USB stick, may be a small one. Partition it as MBR with one single partition, and restore the Boot.iso to it. That would be the simplest of the cases. You would have a bootable USB stick. It should boot OK.

Make the checks and let us know.

Regards

Hello,

1st - THANK you all for the kext, bios, guide here !

2nd - got my HD with 10.6.1 Server working on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, C2D 7400, 4x2GB, onboard NV9400:

* ONLY boots up when using 1x2GB Ram ! Have bios 3fa (x) installed.

* Sound is working (I use analog 2 channel)

* LAN = OK

Is there "hope" to get more RAM working on this mobo ? I have Win7 64bit which shows me all 8GB - have not tried to test if it's mem test stable.

That depends on how hopeful a person you are. Sometimes I feel we are very close to understanding the problem and resolving it. Other times it feels far away.

I wish I could offer more.

I now need help or a how to how to use the Terminal

That is quite a broad a question as you can do almost anything with a Terminal :). Please be a little more specific about what you want/need to do on the Terminal.

If you just need to run the commands shown in the guide, then open the terminal (you can find it using the Finder, navigate to Applications->Utilities. Click on the Terminal to run it. Copy the commands, paste them in the Terminal and hit enter.

Be careful that sometimes sample commands contain things like <PLACE_YOUR_VOLUME_NAME_HERE> that obviously are parts of the command that you need to suit for your situation.

That depends on how hopeful a person you are. Sometimes I feel we are very close to understanding the problem and resolving it. Other times it feels far away.

I wish I could offer more.

Come on Dlach, I have a fully working Hackintosh (except sleep) thanks to efforts of people like you. That is quite a lot you have offered :(

The problem with the memory is a minor one in my opinion, as one can easily work around it with an addon card.

By the way, do you know any MoBo in which people can achieve sleep to work, with all the things being OK (LAN, Sound, etc) after wakeup?

Cheers!

That depends on how hopeful a person you are....

Thanks for your reply...

Well I'm hoping :angel: but it's not urgent for me cause I have a working 10.6 with 8GB Ram - my DS4 (really easy mobo for all Leopard, SL installs !).

I've had problems with "faulty" bios over my hackingtosh years on laptops (i.e. only 1 core using) and sometimes there was a work around and sometimes there wasn't. So I did upgrade from time to time.

@ rbonon

If you just need to run the commands shown in the guide, then open the terminal (you can find it using the Finder, navigate to Applications->Utilities. Click on the Terminal to run it. Copy the commands, paste them in the Terminal and hit enter.

This is what I´m talking about. :) For example, what do I have to do after I have edited the "com.apple.boot.plist"? Hitting enter is not enough, isn't it? Which command do I have to use? Please excuse the silly questions, I´m a real noob on Terminal. :)

@ rbonon

This is what I´m talking about. ;) For example, what do I have to do after I have edited the "com.apple.boot.plist"? Hitting enter is not enough, isn't it? Which command do I have to use? Please excuse the silly questions, I´m a real noob on Terminal. :P

No problem. Here is what I do.

To edit things in Terminal, I use the program nano, a text editor. In order to edit system files you should always invoke the sudo command, that makes you temporary super user. So to properly edit com.apple.boot.plist you should run the following command:

sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

(That is, in laymen language, open com.apple.boot.plist on nano using super-user privileges).

In nano you can edit the file. Since it is a command line text editor, you may feel a little bit lost about functionalities. Just have a look at the bottom of the screen, it hints some commands, mostly a combination of Control-<SOMEKEY>. Copy and Paste work very well on Mac OS Terminal, so you can copy stuff from the PDF guide and past it directly on nano runnign on a Terminal.

Once you made the correct changes to the file, you can save it with Control-W and exit nano with Control-O (that is letter O).

For the remainder of the commands I show in my PDF file, you can just copy and paste them in the Terminal, hitting enter at the end to run them.

Let us know if you need any other help.

Once you made the correct changes to the file, you can save it with Control-W and exit nano with Control-O (that is letter O).

Thanks a lot for your help! I´ll give it a try when I´m at home.

Your Guide ist realy great and helpful, but unfortunatley I´ve had some trouble with the Boot ISO file. Mac OS told me that it isn´t able to restore the Image. If I tried to "check" the ISO before restoring, there was another error. In this case I´ve converted the ISO File to .dmg and was finaly able to restore it on the Stick.

After restoring I tried to boot from the USB Stick, but the system froze like I showed you in the "screenshot". For that reason I´ve tried to use dlach´s method, but the system froze too. Now I know that the reason for the faild "CD-Installation" was my DVD Drive. It isn´t able to boot in AHCI Mode. Exept for the realization that I´ve had to use a different DVD Drive, I still couldn´t boot from my USB Stick. Because of that, I´ve downloaded the Rebel EFI ISO and used it to boot from my USB Stick. :) This worked very well, to the poit I´ve had to use the Terminal ;)

At least I have one more noob question. When I was trying to edit "Info.plist" (sudo nano /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents /Info.plist), Terminal is telling me that this is a wrong directory. :) Besides running "sudo rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext" that there is no such file.

Thank you once angain for your help and a great respect to dlach for keeping this here alive!

PS.: Please excuse my English, it shoud be better than it is. :wacko:

At least I have one more noob question. When I was trying to edit "Info.plist" (sudo nano /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents /Info.plist), Terminal is telling me that this is a wrong directory. :( Besides running "sudo rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext" that there is no such file.

e60, actually it is my bad. There was a small typo in the guide, which I just corrected. You see a blank space between "/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents" and "/Info.plist? So, it should not be there.

This is the correct command:

sudo nano /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Thank you for the info. Now everything seems to work, except the Chameleon Bootloader. :S I´m not able to boot Windows 7 and SL. Windows is starting automatically and I have no Chameleon Bootscreen. :( Is there a different way to get a dualboot working?

Thank you for the info. Now everything seems to work, except the Chameleon Bootloader. :S I´m not able to boot Windows 7 and SL. Windows is starting automatically and I have no Chameleon Bootscreen. :( Is there a different way to get a dualboot working?

e60,

when my Chameleon gets for some reason screwed up, I simply re-install it using the Installer package provided by the Chameleon team. You can find it here:

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 Installer

NOTICE: messing up with boot loader can really give you some headaches in case for some reason you screw things and are not sure what you are doing. That being said, I never saw it failing :D, just run the installer from within your Snow Leopard, and install it to your HD. It should normally recognize all existing partitions with the existing OSs.

One more thing you may need. Configure Chameleon so that it has a prefered partition, and a timeout. That way, it waits for some time (timeout) in which you can choose other partitions, and then if no choice is made, it proceeds to boot the default partition. Follow these steps:

Say you want your Snow Leopard partition to be the default one, and want a 3 seconds delay before timeout to boot for the standard partition.

- Run this command from a Terminal (now you are its master :D)

diskutil list

Here is what it returns in my case

/dev/disk0
	  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
	  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*160.0 GB   disk0
	  1:				 DOS_FAT_32 WINDOWS				 50.0 GB	disk0s1
	  2:				  Apple_HFS Mac					 60.1 GB	disk0s2
	  3:				 DOS_FAT_32 DATA				  49.9 GB	disk0s3

Note the identifier for my Mac partition: disk0s2. We will use 0 and 2 later. Take note of the identifier of your preffered partition. It can be either your Mac or Windows, depending on your choice.

- edit /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist using nano, and insert the following lines, where X is the number of your disk (coming from the identifier mentioned about, 0 in this case), Y is your preffered partition (2 in the example above), and Z is the number of seconds you want Chameleon to wait before it boots the preffered partition.

<key>Default Partition</key>
  <string>hd(X,Y)</string>
  <key>Timeout</key>
  <string>Z</string>

Save com.apple.boot.plist and reboot. You should see a nice blue background with a charming green Chameleon on the top, and a countdown. Hit any key to choose a partition.

Hello!

I want to thank everyone who has helped in this thread, it gave me the inspiration to finally try a hackintosh install on my PC. Anyways, after removing half my memory (which sucks!), the install went very well. I went with Snow Leopard.

Now everything appears to be working except audio and bootup. This will sound like a noob question, but after applying chameleon to the final osx hdd, and making the uuid changes, it should boot up without the "boot" cd right? If so, I must have made a mistake somewhere...

Thanks!

Indeed it should boot up without the CD. Can you tell us exactly what is the problem? Are you trying dual-booting, or just Mac OS X?

^Thanks for the quick reply. Nope, I said screw Windows, no more! So it's OSX partitions across the board!

When I boot to the hard drive, it does start to load chameleon, but it stalls. I don't have access right now, but I am pretty sure it has 4 lines before the chameleon gui starts. bootsomething, bootsomething, boot: failed. However I can boot from the bootcd just fine and SL runs great.

My setup is the e7aum-ds2h, c2q, 4 gb ocz (removed 2 of the 4 gigs...), sata dvdrw, sata 1.5TB seagate hdd, and 2 sata 320GB western digital hdd's (raided) to one osx partition. Snow Leopard is currently installed on the 1.5TB. I also bought the mac keyboard because I was having ps2 issues and said the hell with it. :(

I wish I could get my logitech mx518 mouse to work too.

Thanks,

Chad

Did you try the Chameleon Instaler? See post #191

^ Yes of course, I used Chameleon 2 RC3. I followed the guide step by step.

Actually, I have since rewritten the guide because I found a few mistakes plus it was rather hard to follow (as a noobie). Once I know I have everything 100% I'll be posting it somewhere (not here obviously), but I'll make sure credit is given where credit is due.

No problem about the guide. I spoted some typos as well and corrected as much as I could. You should post it here as well, this way we have as much info as possible for the colleagues acessing the forum, and this is the place for people liking to install Mac OS X on this board..

About the boot problem, I can't really help much, as it is very strange. Since you are not dual-booting, it should be very trivial to have it booting right from Chameleon. Since it boots OK with the Boot CD I can only guess it is related to Chameleon you installed in the boot of the disk or with the com.apple.boot.plist file in your hard disk. Did you edited it? Did you cross check for errors?

Whenever you get hold of the machine, send the exact error messages as that can help on troubleshooting.

^ Yes of course, I used Chameleon 2 RC3. I followed the guide step by step.

Actually, I have since rewritten the guide because I found a few mistakes plus it was rather hard to follow (as a noobie). Once I know I have everything 100% I'll be posting it somewhere (not here obviously), but I'll make sure credit is given where credit is due.

I don't think anyone here is worried about credit since we're all standing on the work of others. But I really wish you wouldn't post it somewhere else. I hate it when you have to search all over the place and flip back and forth between sources.

My preference would be for you to post here and I'll add a link and credits on post #1 like I did for rbonon and everyone else who has contributed. If you post elsewhere then there will be discussion there, and people here won't benefit from it and vice versa. If we centralize the info on this board it is easier to for those interested to keep abreast of progress. One stop shopping is better.

Also obviously the right thing for you to do is to tell me about these mistakes I made since they need to be corrected in post #1. Bear in mind that I had to post the SL instructions as rather rush job since people were clamoring for it. I expect it is an iterative effort to fix it up, however so far nobody has bothered to point anything out to me so it is only when I need to add info that I bother to read it and find the typos and mistakes.

And speaking of mistakes, over the weekend I found one in rbonon's guide (rbonon please take note) that I had duplicated in post #1. This one might just be the source of your problem. You need to repair permissions BEFORE you rebuild the extensions cache. See the new step 16 in post #1. If you don't do this, there are errors generating the cache.

e60 this could be part or all of your problem too.

And speaking of mistakes, over the weekend I found one in rbonon's guide (rbonon please take note) that I had duplicated in post #1. This one might just be the source of your problem. You need to repair permissions BEFORE you rebuild the extensions cache. See the new step 16 in post #1. If you don't do this, there are errors generating the cache.

e60 this could be part or all of your problem too.

dlach,

thanks for the heads up. I updated the PDF guide accordingly.

Sorry guys, I meant no disrespect before. I didn't mean I wanted to rip your content and post it elsewhere, I only meant I did not want to step on any toes in this thread. I'd much rather post what I have here. :(

Ok so the PC boots to where it seems to load the "boot" file...

boot: something....

boot: testing

boot: testing

boot: error

Then it just sits there. Again, the CD works like a champ. Although I did get a kernel panic last night...And still no sound, but I haven't tried to correct that yet.

You didn't step on any toes. I appreciate the contribution.

You missed the end of my last post where I pointed out the error in the guide. You need to fix your version and I think it will fix your problem.

PS. Please PM me with the mistakes you found in the guide since I can't tell from comparing your version, I must be too close to it.

Rbonon, nice concise write up. I will fix up post #1 with regard to the kexts and point people to your doc for MBR. That is a good MBR method and the one I use on my Dell 1530 which tri-boots OSX, Vista, Ubuntu. Since get OSX working, the only time I use anything else is Vista for the DSDT patcher.

Wanky and Rbonon,

Unfortunately I can't point you to any DSDT guru. I've been searching for info and found bits and pieces. The ACPI spec is supposed to be useful (all 700+ pages). When I look at DSDT.dsl files it seems like there are several ways of doing things (e.g. putting scope and methods inside a device block or keeping them separate). Right now I am trying to see what I can bring over from the macbook pro .dsl file posted by Milkwagon a couple of pages back.

Since that version of the macbook pro uses the nvidia 9400m chipset, I think there should be blocks we could directly use or at a minimum with some tweaking.

Hello again,

so I tried adding my graphic card to the DSDT for several days but until now I have has no luck. I really don't know where I should insert it.

I used the IORegistryExplorer to identifiy the PCI section. It is listed under PCI0.XVR0. But inserting the stuff there haven't led to any success. So now I hope, that maybe anyone can give me a hint how to do this.

Those are the lines I insert into several sections of the dsdt.dsl:

Device (XVR0){
		Name (_ADR, zero)
		Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x16)
                       {
                                       "@0,compatible", 
                                       Buffer (0x0B)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,NVMac"
                                       }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x08)
                                       {
                                           "display"
                                       }, 

"@0,name", 
                                       Buffer (0x0F)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,Display-A"
                                       }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                                       Buffer (0x0B)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,NVMac"
                                       }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x08)
                                       {
                                           "display"
                                       }, 

"@1,name", 
                                       Buffer (0x0F)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,Display-B"
                                       }, 

"NVCAP", 
                                       Buffer (0x18)
                                       {
                                           /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                           /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
                                           /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                       }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                                       Buffer (0x04)
                                       {
                                           0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10
                                       }, 

"device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x0D)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,GeForce"
                                       }, 

"model", 
                                       Buffer (0x14)
                                       {
                                           "NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS"
                                       }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x22)
                               {
                                   "NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS OpenGL Engine"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I tried inserting this with and without the leading "Device(XVR0)", also with "Device(PEG) and Device (GFX0)" right after the Device(PCI0) line.

Maybe I have to play around with the Address? Does this depend on the PCIroot which I can get with the gfxutil?

If there is no solutions for this issue, I am thinking of adding the graphics card through EFI strings. Is it possible to add the external graphics card with an EFI string, whereas the internal graphic chip is inserted through DSDT?

Thanks for your help

wanky

Not really mistakes, I just added a little more info for my fellows OSx86 noobs, like how to show contents of a kext, which I had to look up. I also stripped it down to the essentials, because I'm sure through time and diligence you have added and removed a lot. I also put all required attachments in one place.

I edited it with your new steps, which didn't help my problem, but I see why it's needed now. I also edited the disclaimer, making sure people understand that is entirely your guide, just rewritten.

Nice work Maharajamd!

Ok so I had some time to play around last night. I started at Step 12 (installing chameleon) and worked all the way through to the end, with the new steps, and still can't boot without the CD.

Same as before...

boot0: something....
  boot0: testing
  boot0: testing
  boot0: error

I also still have no sound. And I must say the thread on ALC is monsterous and very confusing. Not sure where I am going wrong on this one either.

Edit:

I also had two files that could NOT be repaired in Disk Utility. I'll have to see which ones they were again tonight. something/something/core/something and another one I can't remember at all. I'm sure this is probably my issue.

Hmmm...I suggest you start from scratch and stop at step 11 on the original guide, I think it corresponds to your step 13. That much I have been through many times. See if you can boot your hard disk directly from chameleon at this point instead of using the bootCD and before you add any kexts from Jon55. I never had any problem getting to that point and being able to boot from the hard disk with just the kexts from the bootCD.

Hello again,

so I tried adding my graphic card to the DSDT for several days but until now I have has no luck. I really don't know where I should insert it.

I used the IORegistryExplorer to identifiy the PCI section. It is listed under PCI0.XVR0. But inserting the stuff there haven't led to any success. So now I hope, that maybe anyone can give me a hint how to do this.

Those are the lines I insert into several sections of the dsdt.dsl:

Device (XVR0){
		Name (_ADR, zero)
		Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x16)
                       {
                                       "@0,compatible", 
                                       Buffer (0x0B)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,NVMac"
                                       }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x08)
                                       {
                                           "display"
                                       }, 

"@0,name", 
                                       Buffer (0x0F)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,Display-A"
                                       }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                                       Buffer (0x0B)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,NVMac"
                                       }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x08)
                                       {
                                           "display"
                                       }, 

"@1,name", 
                                       Buffer (0x0F)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,Display-B"
                                       }, 

"NVCAP", 
                                       Buffer (0x18)
                                       {
                                           /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                           /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
                                           /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                       }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                                       Buffer (0x04)
                                       {
                                           0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10
                                       }, 

"device_type", 
                                       Buffer (0x0D)
                                       {
                                           "NVDA,GeForce"
                                       }, 

"model", 
                                       Buffer (0x14)
                                       {
                                           "NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS"
                                       }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x22)
                               {
                                   "NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS OpenGL Engine"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I tried inserting this with and without the leading "Device(XVR0)", also with "Device(PEG) and Device (GFX0)" right after the Device(PCI0) line.

Maybe I have to play around with the Address? Does this depend on the PCIroot which I can get with the gfxutil?

If there is no solutions for this issue, I am thinking of adding the graphics card through EFI strings. Is it possible to add the external graphics card with an EFI string, whereas the internal graphic chip is inserted through DSDT?

Thanks for your help

wanky

Wanky, sorry but I don't know how to put DSDT info in for an add-on gfx card. You might try searching using google and something like "DSDT 9800m site:www.insanelymac.com" if for instance your gfx card is a Nivida 9800m, or maybe even the model number of the card.

Yes it is possible to inject the EFI strings using SL the same way it was in Leopard, though you use the plist in /Extra instead of /S/L/preferences. There is also a keyword graphics enabler you can search the forum for to see it works for your card.

Please let us know what you find.