• Please log in to reply
757 replies to this topic

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Just a reminder that you all can solve your resume issues with audio and LAN by laying about $30-40 more for usb audio and a pci-e ethernet card as I detailed a few other times in this thread. I use this board as an HTPC and it works flawlessly sleeping and resuming. Even after I got it working I wound up not using the wired LAN and got a PCI-E to mini PCI-e adapter on ebay then got a dell mini-PCI wireless n card (again on ebay). This is recognized as an airport and works perfectly.

Thank to Oleg and e60 for taking over this thread and helping folks out. I've wound up working on other board once I moved this to my HTPC. Am currently looking at a mini-itx h67 build. Tonymac is a great second resource for this stuff.

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
10.6.8 is out!

You can install it via SU but will lose Audio afterwards.
So you have to patch AppleHDA. Download the new package from here. It contains a README. Follow the instructions. (You also can place the ALC885_889a.kext in /E/E.)
BTW: Patched AppleHDA will work with the old LegacyHDA.kext too (without the new ALC885_889a.kext).

Don't forget to delete your cache
[codebox]sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions[/codebox]

Good luck!

P.S.: No spinning wheel at startup. :P

rblissitt

rblissitt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hi everyone,
I just added a discrete video card (GT 430 for $20 after rebate per SlickDeals). Of course, this goofed up the video and it only displayed in 1024x768 afterwards. Can anyone say what I should replace in my existing installation (done following all the instructions in this thread, but with e60's mods so I could use a stock F4 BIOS) to get video working properly? Would it be replacing the boot file or the DSDT file, perhaps? Or perhaps I can do the installation from scratch using a generic Gigabyte Hackintosh install now that I don't use the 9400 IGP (or maybe that's not possible because the 9400 *is* the chipset)?
Konfused,
-Kat

e60

e60

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 118 posts
Hi rblissitt,

please check out this post *click* Might be useful for you.

x4nd0r

x4nd0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

10.6.8 is out!

You can install it via SU but will lose Audio afterwards.
So you have to patch AppleHDA. Download the new package from here. It contains a README. Follow the instructions. (You also can place the ALC885_889a.kext in /E/E.)
BTW: Patched AppleHDA will work with the old LegacyHDA.kext too (without the new ALC885_889a.kext).

Don't forget to delete your cache

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkextsudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Some how this will not fix it...

I did not patch the AppleHDA.kext my md5 sum of AppleHDA/Contents/Info.plist is:

$ md5 Info.plist
MD5 (Info.plist) = ad855ff8ac7affcec70f768ff89b2216

Can anyone verify if this is the vanilla version.

Any Clues?

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

I did not patch the AppleHDA.kext ...

You will not have sound unless you patch AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.8.
Alternatively you can use unpatched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
gah. somehow I messed up installing the patched kext for sound. I get this message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" was installed mproperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.

So obviously I did something wrong. Could I impose upon one of the very knowledgeable posters here to walk me through how to reinstall this?

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

gah. somehow I messed up installing the patched kext for sound. I get this message:

So obviously I did something wrong. Could I impose upon one of the very knowledgeable posters here to walk me through how to reinstall this?

Would be good to know what exactly you have done.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Would be good to know what exactly you have done.

Well.... it looks like I did two stupid things.

First, I took the ALC885_889a.kext in my System/Library/Extensions directory, right clicked on it to "view contents" and replaced the "offending" components (the kext and the xml files) in finder rather than using the terminal method in the readme. I know I know, RTFM. Duh.

Then right as I was making the recent post this morning, I thought "hey, I have a mirror working install on another drive, so why don't I log in on that install and just copy over the AppleHDA.kext and the ALC885_889a.kext from there while I'm logged into that install?" Well, now duh, that was a bad idea and it now says that several other kexts aren't working when I clear the kext caches (sorry don't know exactly which ones at this point as I'm not in front of the computer).

Kicking my self for being a big dummy here. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be generous enough to bestow upon me, oleg. worst case is I need to start over with a clean install. Which isn't THAT big of a deal, but it is a pain in the butt as I'm out of practice given that the existing install has been rock solid for going on a year.

x4nd0r

x4nd0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

You will not have sound unless you patch AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.8.
Alternatively you can use unpatched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7.

Fixed, for got to copy the xml file. (sudu vs sudo)

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Here is an update for the ChameleonBoot stick - ready for Lion and SL 10.6.8 (don't use it for 10.6.7)

Howto is here
To prepare a Lion Install medium follow this guide, but use an USB stick instead of a partition. And don't install Chameleon nor copy any files from your Extra folder on it (therefore we have the Boot stick).

After installation you can boot Lion with this stick too and you have to patch AppleHDA.kext if onboard audio is in use.

Good luck!

Update: Image for 10.7.2 and patched Chameleon are here

Attached Files

rblissitt

rblissitt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
e60, I just tried the steps on that site you provided, and they totally worked. Thank you so much... :) :D This new card makes my Windows installation reboot spontaneously (even after updating the drivers), so I may just have to use Hackintosh all the time... Again, thanks!
-katapaltes

UPDATE: Just installed 10.7 Lion per Oleg's Chameleon file and links above. I had to remove the GT 430 that e60 *just* helped me get working, or else the install wouldn't proceed. :D After the install, I patched (copied two new files into) AppleHDA.kext using Oleg's links on this same page and now I have sound. Now booting with the USB stick to 1080p with sound. Not sure if QE/CI is working or not as widget launch doesn't produce ripples, but Chess application works...
-kat

x4nd0r

x4nd0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Any one already tried lion on this board?

e60

e60

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 118 posts
@x4nd0r
Yes. :) I used tonymacx86's Guide and it worked flawless for me. Only thing I had to do before installing Lion, was deleting the ...

PCIRootUID

... string from com.apple.Boot.plist. Otherwise Lion will stuck if you get to the [ pci configuration begin ] message.

Sound is working perfectly with tmongkol's ALC885_889a_LION.zip from this Thread.

THud33

THud33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hey I have been running snow leopard 10.6.6 using this guide for awhile now... But I installed ##### and this led to snow leopard not being able to boot up. It hangs at appleintelcpupowermanagementclient.kext. I also updated to the latest chimera bootloader. How do I get it to boot again? I am running on a Gigabyte E7AUM with a Intel Quad Core Processor as well as a Nvidia GTS 250.

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Hey I have been running snow leopard 10.6.6 using this guide for awhile now... But I installed ##### and this led to snow leopard not being able to boot up. It hangs at appleintelcpupowermanagementclient.kext. I also updated to the latest chimera bootloader. How do I get it to boot again? I am running on a Gigabyte E7AUM with a Intel Quad Core Processor as well as a Nvidia GTS 250.

Where's my crystal ball ... ? :)
Contents of your Extra folder, especially the Extensions?
DSDT?
Which items are in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

THud33

THud33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Where's my crystal ball ... ? :(
Contents of your Extra folder, especially the Extensions?
DSDT?
Which items are in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I have no clue what is in either of those. How do I check if I cant boot into mac anymore? All I know is that I installed ##### and right after a pop up screen appeared and told me I needed to shut down or restart my computer. After that, I keep getting stuck at that same kext...appleintelcpupowermanagementclient

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

I have no clue what is in either of those. How do I check if I cant boot into mac anymore? All I know is that I installed ##### and right after a pop up screen appeared and told me I needed to shut down or restart my computer. After that, I keep getting stuck at that same kext...appleintelcpupowermanagementclient

So what was your reason to install #####, did you have any problems?
What did you try out after that?
Are you able to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD?
Are you able to boot your installation with the help e.g. of #####?
Do you have a TM backup before your ##### experiments? Any important data on your HD?

THud33

THud33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

So what was your reason to install #####, did you have any problems?
What did you try out after that?
Are you able to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD?
Are you able to boot your installation with the help e.g. of #####?
Do you have a TM backup before your ##### experiments? Any important data on your HD?

The only reason I installed ##### is because the new chimera bootloader messed up my video card I had installed (gts 250). And then after it told me I and to shut down it kept hanging so I took out my video card an went with onboard video. I've tried booting with -f -x -s CPUs=1 and none work. I don't have time machine and I had alot of data on that Mac. And I forget how to go about booting with the CDs as i did this a long time ago. Is there any way to revert a change when trying to boot? I'm completely stuck and I think I'm going to have to do this all over again with a new install :/

olegischinski

olegischinski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

The only reason I installed ##### is because the new chimera bootloader messed up my video card I had installed (gts 250). And then after it told me I and to shut down it kept hanging so I took out my video card an went with onboard video. I've tried booting with -f -x -s CPUs=1 and none work. I don't have time machine and I had alot of data on that Mac. And I forget how to go about booting with the CDs as i did this a long time ago. Is there any way to revert a change when trying to boot? I'm completely stuck and I think I'm going to have to do this all over again with a new install :/

ok, I would try out the following:
At first take out your video card and leave a max. of 2 GB RAM into the banks.
- Try out ##### -> to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD.
(May be it can boot your installation, I don't think so.)
- Fire up terminal.app
rm -R /Volumes/YOURHD/Extra
rm /Volumes/YOURHD/boot
rm /Volumes/YOURHD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
- Prepare a ChameleonBoot Stick like described here
- Shut down and reboot with the ChameleonBoot Stick
- If it works you can plug in additional RAM.
- Your video card should work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (as boot argument or change the value in com.apple.Boot.plist) or look a few posts above.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy