[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Does anyone have nForceLAN.kext working (including after resume from sleep) on 10.6.4?

I can't get it to work for the life of me (either 0.64.6 or 0.64.5). They won't even load. As for older versions, they do load, but I have no network present - card just sits there, but no functionality. (And yes, I removed nvenet.kext.)

nvenet.kext alone works fine, but the dreaded sleep issue..

Thanks in advance.

hi radov,

I've tested the nForceLAN.kext some weeks ago.

It works (inclus. resume from sleep) but I always lost my network after a few minutes - so I think, this kext is no choice at the moment.

Can anyone with the know-how patch the latest chameleon RC5 versions with the adidasprince 4gb fix so we can play with the cool new chameleon features?

or if someone can show me how to do it i can compile future releases and post them here.

Many thanks,

g\

Check my old posts and the patch i made to i386/libsaio/biosfn.c

Here's Chameleon "RC5" compiled from trunk with adidasprince's mem patch. Most of it is was already added by Rekursor.

I'm currently using it with F4 bios and enabled p-states and c-states together with 8 gigs of memory. Working like a charm :(

hi Doosje,

Thank you, speedstep is workin here without a CPU-specific edited DSDT! (There are tiny lower values in Voltage with my CPU-specific DSDT)

@all

Important to know: You have to use a DSDT (without specific CPU scope, e.g. the generic one by e60)

To enable speedstep add to your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I've modified my ChameleonBoot stick with this version too. If interested have a look here.

• 1 month later...

Olegischinski, your method worked great and was very very easy, thank you. I'm up and running with 4GB RAM, full video using HDMI (DVI works too), networking, sleep/wake.

The only problem I am having is that I cannot get sound out of the Optical port (SPDIF). Sound works fine from the "green" headphone jack port, but nothing coming out of the Optical port...

My System Preferences/Sound/Output choices:

1. Internal Speakers

2. Line Out

3. Line Out

4. Line Out

None of the "Line Out" options outputted sound from the Optical port.

I then installed VoodooHDA and I now have a much better choice of outputs, one being SPDIF Optical, but again, no sound from Optical port.

Any ideas anyone?

hi apacket,

Olegischinski, your method worked great and was very very easy, thank you. I'm up and running with 4GB RAM, full video using HDMI (DVI works too), networking, sleep/wake.

Do you have network and sound after sleep?

The only problem I am having is that I cannot get sound out of the Optical port (SPDIF). Sound works fine from the "green" headphone jack port, but nothing coming out of the Optical port...

Any ideas anyone?

You could try to use one of the other LegacyHDA.kext's. There is integrated the one with 4outs2ins + HDA headphone in my Boot-Stick. If you use the version for 3outs2ins Systempreferences will show you Internal Speakers, 2 Line Outs and 1 Digital Out.

Don't known if there is an SPDIF output in this configuration ... no digital device here :-(

Please post your results!

hi apacket,

Do you have network and sound after sleep?

While waiting for your reply, I reinstalled from scratch since I made so many changes trying to get the sound to work. I remember sound working (from the headphone jack) after returning from sleep for my first installation, but I don't remember testing the network, although I believe it worked since I never noticed it not working. Since reinstalling the OS though, neither sound or network work after sleep. Is it possible that it was working for me? and if so, how can I get it working again?

You could try to use one of the other LegacyHDA.kext's. There is integrated the one with 4outs2ins + HDA headphone in my Boot-Stick. If you use the version for 3outs2ins Systempreferences will show you Internal Speakers, 2 Line Outs and 1 Digital Out.

Don't known if there is an SPDIF output in this configuration ... no digital device here :-(

Please post your results!

"3out2in HDA Headphone" LegacyHDA.kext worked! I also had to add HDAEnabler.kext. The default mode is stereo, but when playing a movie with an AC3 encoded soundtrack and set VLC's audio device to "Built-in Digital Output (Encoded Output)", it outputs DTS audio. Very important since this is my HTPC :dev: I got the kext files from this thread.

In addition to following your instructions, I also upgraded my bios to F4 and configured it to match these screenshots. I'm not sure if that is correct...

Thank you so much for your help and efforts.

While waiting for your reply, I reinstalled from scratch since I made so many changes trying to get the sound to work. I remember sound working (from the headphone jack) after returning from sleep for my first installation, but I don't remember testing the network, although I believe it worked since I never noticed it not working. Since reinstalling the OS though, neither sound or network work after sleep. Is it possible that it was working for me? and if so, how can I get it working again?

I'm afraid there is no way to get the sound back after sleep, unless you remember your previous settings.

"3out2in HDA Headphone" LegacyHDA.kext worked! I also had to add HDAEnabler.kext. The default mode is stereo, but when playing a movie with an AC3 encoded soundtrack and set VLC's audio device to "Built-in Digital Output (Encoded Output)", it outputs DTS audio. Very important since this is my HTPC :dev: I got the kext files from this thread.

Nice to hear that digital output is working.

I would say you won't need the HDAEnabler.kext, because its funcionality is implemented in our DSDT. So if you use the DSDT you can leave it out, but have to remove the BuiltInHDA key from info.plist of LegacyHDA.kext, as described in the the topic.

In addition to following your instructions, I also upgraded my bios to F4 and configured it to match these screenshots. I'm not sure if that is correct...

Yes, that is correct. :-)

I sometimes get an error during chameleon boot saying:

bad display config block signature

ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

and whenever I get this error, the only available display resolution is 1024x768. I really don't know how to reproduce the error to figure out why it happens. But it sometimes happens when I shut down the PC and turn it back on. Restarting never causes it. Any ideas? Right now I'm stuck in 1024 mode...

Also, is there any way to move chameleon to my internal HD so that I can remove the USB stick? Can I create a partition and run chameleon off that? or do I have to have a dedicated drive for it?

Thanks

I sometimes get an error during chameleon boot saying:

bad display config block signature

ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

Did you add any key to your com.apple.Boot.plist like "UseNVidiaROM=Yes"? Any NVidia related EFI-strings or injectors?

Don't do this. All you need is the key "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Also, is there any way to move chameleon to my internal HD so that I can remove the USB stick? Can I create a partition and run chameleon off that? or do I have to have a dedicated drive for it?

Just a few minutes :-)

(Assume your stick is plugged in and there is no Extra folder on your HDD.)

Open terminal.app and type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/ChameleonBoot/Extra /
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra

And now install Chameleon via terminal.app. I've attached a patched RC5 from current trunk rev. 631 (perhaps your boot error will disappear with this version) including a README which explains how to do this.

At least modify your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra

sudo nano -w /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Here you have to change the key Default Partition to hd(0,2)

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>

Write out the changes with ctrl+o and quit nano with ctrl+x.

You could add more keys e.g. to get native resolution while booting. Several options are documented in the BootHelp.txt

Good luck!

chameleonRC5_rev631.zip

Thanks Oleg, chameleon is working great off my drive now.

As for the nVidia problem, it happens whenever I properly shut down my system (Apple, Shutdown). From that point on, I always get the rom patch error (no matter what I try). In order to correct it, I need to run pfix and then POWER OFF my computer by holding down the power button, and then turn it back on. I can then restart as many time as I like without any problems, but if I ever do a proper shut down again, I run into the same issue. Quite strange... And no, I didn't add anything to the plist or add any other kext files.

I did this initial install on a temporary hard drive to make sure things work, so now I'm going to get rid of windows and install osx on my permanent drive. Hopefully I won't have this nVidia problem. But even if I do, it's not the end of the world since I never turn off my computer.

You've been a great help. I'll let you know how things go with the new install.

-Serge

• 2 weeks later...
(Assume your stick is plugged in and there is no Extra folder on your HDD.)

Open terminal.app and type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/ChameleonBoot/Extra /
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra

And now install Chameleon via terminal.app. I've attached a patched RC5 from current trunk rev. 631 (perhaps your boot error will disappear with this version) including a README which explains how to do this.

Had no problem installing using the two usb method Olegischinski described. I used the chameleonBoot.dmg. Sound, LAN, Video are working just fine. Even a OSX Vertex 2 SSD is working like a charm and upgrading to 10.6.5 went without any problems.

Regarding booting directly from HDD, without using the USB stick I am doing probably something wrong. I followed the command you described above. Then I followed the readme which is on the chameleonBoot:

Normal Install (non-RAID):
 --------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
  		sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
 		sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
 		sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

When executing the first line I got the message "fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory"

What I doing wrong?

When executing the first line I got the message "fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory"

What I doing wrong?

hi JurgenS,

either you have to change at first into the directory where the boot files are in

cd /PATH/TO/THE/FOLDER

or give the full path

fdisk -f /PATH/TO/THE/FOLDER/boot0

Good luck!

Thanks Olegischinski, up and running :D

If I want to have a dual boot setup with a working Win7 (64 bit) on another hdd, what are the recommended steps ?

... on a 2nd HDD it's easy. Just install (unplug the OSX-HDD will be a good idea). You can boot your Win via BIOS boot select or via Chameleon.

Tnx, also dual boot up and running now :rolleyes: . One cosmetic thing is that I see in the chameleon boot screen besides the OSX boot logo 3 times a Win 7 logo (the C,D and a boot partition that are on the Win 7 hdd).

Is there a possibility just to show the OSX logo, and one Win7 logo. And secondly is it possible to boot automatically after, say 10 seconds, into OSX?

One other thing is that the network connection is lost after awakening from sleep. Is there already an updated kext for this available?

Ps this are all minor things, I am very happy that things already working this great !

Tnx, also dual boot up and running now B) . One cosmetic thing is that I see in the chameleon boot screen besides the OSX boot logo 3 times a Win 7 logo (the C,D and a boot partition that are on the Win 7 hdd).

Is there a possibility just to show the OSX logo, and one Win7 logo. And secondly is it possible to boot automatically after, say 10 seconds, into OSX?

Solved :P ,

Open terminal app:

sudo -s

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

add the following lines:

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(1,2) hd(1,3)</string>

where hd(1,2) means disk 1, partition 2 which you want to hide. These can be found in the info of your disk utility

One question remains: is there already an updated kext available for network, which solves the problem on lost connection after sleep?

Hello,

I started using this board now for my File server in the attic as opposed to Media Mac. I bought APC UPS battery and UPS shows up in Preference panel as its supposed to and it Shuts down Machine as configured as well ( " If bettery gets bellow 10 % Shut down Mac " )

What I'm having problems with is to "Start up automatically after power failure" with or without UPS.

Which kext and/or BIOS setting is responsible for getting this feature to work ?

IS this even possible with Hackintoshes, so that they will start up after power power failure?

Thanks !

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

after some pause for reflection :) I made a completely new DSDT up from scratch. :D It contains some improvements from Oleg, some code correction, only necessary edits and you finally will be able to use all GPU ports (VGA / DVI / HDMI) including mirroring without any issues as you can see in the screenshots below. QE/CI Graphics Acceleration is also working fine for me, even if it’s not shown in the System Profiler. By the way, I’m using Olegs patched Chameleon RC5 and the newest NVIDIA Drivers brought to you by tonymacx86 but I’m not sure if this is really necessary.

There are two version of the DSDT depending on how much RAM you’re using for the GPU in Bios (256MB/512MB). Unfortunately I was not able to get HDMI Audio working at this state and there is still no LAN after resuming from sleep. Maby someone could have a look at these things. :)

PS.: Here is a nice info from tonymacx86 how you can check if QE/CI is working on your system:

... here are 2 ways you can check to see if your card is fully accelerated.

- Open Front Row. If it opens and is functional, QE/CI are enabled.

- Open Dashboard and add a widget. If you see cool ripples, QE/CI are enabled.

vgadvi-2562iwp.png

vgahdmi-512adpr.png

Unfortunately I was not able to get HDMI Audio working at this state and there is still no LAN after resuming from sleep. Maby someone could have a look at these things. :dev:

Hi,

I was able to get almost fully working system on this mobo.

What works:

-all peripherals

-10.6.6 in 32 and 64bit modes

-sleep,restart, shutdown

-wakeup via mouse

-speed-steep and CPU voltage, hw monitoring with iStat

What not works yet:

-sound after resume (currently I don't have time to resolve this issue)

Here is what I do:

1. Flash Mobo with modded BIOS (attached)

2. Add in / content of Extra.zip (attached)

3. Remove nvenet.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext

4. Add nForceLan.kext into /S/L/E

5. Rebuild caches with pfix

Good luck

e7aumd2hf3x_patched_bios.zip

Extra.zip

nForceLAN.kext.zip