[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Same here dlach. I installed the mpkg, rebooted, and got a kernel panic. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up

Yeah sorry for the bad tip. Since I am working on the DSDT, I am running the vanilla latest F4 flash from Gigabyte. I restored my DSDT.aml to a bare bones one with just enough to get sleep working and nForceLan still didn't resume from sleep properly so I guess it's just a no-go.

Will report back to Eno.

Yeah sorry for the bad tip. Since I am working on the DSDT, I am running the vanilla latest F4 flash from Gigabyte. I restored my DSDT.aml to a bare bones one with just enough to get sleep working and nForceLan still didn't resume from sleep properly so I guess it's just a no-go.

Will report back to Eno.

No problem. Keep us posted if something new pops up on this matter.

I am running single 250GB IDE Drive for OSX. No slowness experience for both read/write.

thanks for response ... i freed up some space on IDE drives and everything is back to normal. I figured drive 99% full is probably the reason behind slow speed.

A "very simple" recipe:

1. Install original Chameleon package after SL installation

2. Extract a file named "boot" from core/usr/standalone/i386 in my Chameleon package

3. Override /usr/standalone/i386/boot with the above one

4. Restart, and see the memory table is without overlapping

adidasprince (and all happy >2Gb-ers)

thanks for the instructions, but no luck over here. Here is what I did:

1. Extracted boot file from your first (256Mb stable) package with Pacifist, and copied it to /usr/standalone/i386/boot, overwriting the old one (made a back copy just in case)

2. Turned the machin off.

3. Installed 4Gb RAM (2x2Gb) on the yellow slots.

3. Turned on the machine. It booted!!! Showing 4Gb in "About this Mac".

4. After some minutes, a Kernel Panic :) with the screen getting garbage.

Check my pictures below. The first is my Memory Info, this image I took after copying the patched boot file. The second one is the kernel panic happening.

Can anyone help me with this? Is my memory overlapping? I do not know how to check if overlapping is happening. Any other reason for the failure? I am not using any addon card, just the onboard things. The problem happened both with the buffer set to 256Mb and Auto in BIOS. I also teste both in the yellow and red slots with same results.

Thanks for your help.

img6249e.jpg

img6233v.jpg

adidasprince (and all happy >2Gb-ers)

thanks for the instructions, but no luck over here. Here is what I did:

1. Extracted boot file from your first (256Mb stable) package with Pacifist, and copied it to /usr/standalone/i386/boot, overwriting the old one (made a back copy just in case)

2. Turned the machin off.

3. Installed 4Gb RAM (2x2Gb) on the yellow slots.

3. Turned on the machine. It booted!!! Showing 4Gb in "About this Mac".

4. After some minutes, a Kernel Panic -_- with the screen getting garbage.

Check my pictures below. The first is my Memory Info, this image I took after copying the patched boot file. The second one is the kernel panic happening.

Can anyone help me with this? Is my memory overlapping? I do not know how to check if overlapping is happening. Any other reason for the failure? I am not using any addon card, just the onboard things. The problem happened both with the buffer set to 256Mb and Auto in BIOS. I also teste both in the yellow and red slots with same results.

Thanks for your help.

img6249e.jpg

img6233v.jpg

Aren't you supposed to replace /boot not /usr/... ?

Aren't you supposed to replace /boot not /usr/... ?

Hmmm

I thought of it as well, I would expect Chameleon boot loader to be on /boot (at least that is where I put it). I did not even know about /usr till adidasprince told about it.

Very strange (at least for me) is that even with /usr having the initial unpatched boot, the system boots, but obviously comes to a kernel panic after some minutes working.

So, what about the other folks with >2Gb running: did you put the patched boot under /boot or /usr/...

Regards

Hmmm

I thought of it as well, I would expect Chameleon boot loader to be on /boot (at least that is where I put it). I did not even know about /usr till adidasprince told about it.

Very strange (at least for me) is that even with /usr having the initial unpatched boot, the system boots, but obviously comes to a kernel panic after some minutes working.

So, what about the other folks with >2Gb running: did you put the patched boot under /boot or /usr/...

Regards

I'm sorry, maybe the both ...

and "Overlapped memory mapping" means:

Base 0x00000000 00100000 Length 0x00000000 afdf0000

includes

Base 0x00000000 70000000 Length 0x00000000 10000000

I'm sorry, maybe the both ...

and "Overlapped memory mapping" means:

Base 0x00000000 00100000 Length 0x00000000 afdf0000

includes

Base 0x00000000 70000000 Length 0x00000000 10000000

adidasprince,

thanks for the asnwer. But unfortunately I do not understand your statement about the memory, I am not that technical. Do my memory info tell that I have overlapping?

I will try to overwrite /boot. Should I overwriting also /usr/.../boot? Can anybody confirm please?

Regards

Hi all,

Just had some spare time to continue the sl installation. But i'm getting a panic.

I'm booting 10.6 and getting the following panic:

com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(2.0.0)0x<MEMADDR>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.0) <MEMADDR>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6) <MEMADDR>

Any one seen this before?

Strange thing is that it boot safe mode boots/runs nicely.

-X

Does audio resume from sleep if using the voodoo kern? if so I may just cave and get that roswell network card and use the voodoo kern with 10.6.2 for now

Haven't tried Voodoo kernel but it works OOTB with vanilla so I imagine so.

This PCIe card works flawlessly out of the box, it resumes from sleep and and as a bonus fixes a problem I was having accessing FreeNAS using the built-in ethernet.

It is a Rosewill RC-401-EX $29 at newegg. Given the trouble the nForce ethernet chip has been, I think I won't be trying to fix it in the DSDT anymore.

When coupled with my USB audio, there are no remaining resume from sleep issues.

I bought the same card and after you wake the computer up it works still unlike the onboard but Wake on Lan is not working for me. We're you able to get this working?

Thanks

I bought the same card and after you wake the computer up it works still unlike the onboard but Wake on Lan is not working for me. We're you able to get this working?

Thanks

Update

Haven't tried. I tried it unsuccessfully. Enabled it in the pref pane and in the BIOS.

There is this in the manual power mgmt BIOS section:

PME Event Wake Up

Allows the system to be awakened from an ACPI sleep state by a wake-up signal from a PCI or

PCIe device. Note: To use this function, you need an ATX power supply providing at least 1A on

the +5VSB lead. (Default: Enabled)

I don't know if my PS has the 1A on the +5VSB lead. It is a uATX power supply so maybe not.

adidasprince,

thanks for the asnwer. But unfortunately I do not understand your statement about the memory, I am not that technical. Do my memory info tell that I have overlapping?

I will try to overwrite /boot. Should I overwriting also /usr/.../boot? Can anybody confirm please?

Regards

Haven't been around in a while, but check post 235 to see how I did it.

adidasprince,

Have you submitted this patch to the voodoo team - link in this thread? They may be able to include it in future iterations.

This board is awesome, it just needs a more accessible vram solution so that newbies are not scared off by it.

Haven't tried. There is this in the manual power mgmt BIOS section:

PME Event Wake Up

Allows the system to be awakened from an ACPI sleep state by a wake-up signal from a PCI or

PCIe device. Note: To use this function, you need an ATX power supply providing at least 1A on

the +5VSB lead. (Default: Enabled)

I have the onboard working with Wake on Lan but as you know after the machine wakes up it goes away =)

Haven't been around in a while, but check post 235 to see how I did it.

adidasprince,

Have you submitted this patch to the voodoo team - link in this thread? They may be able to include it in future iterations.

This board is awesome, it just needs a more accessible vram solution so that newbies are not scared off by it.

Netcastle, nice to see you back.

What it also needs (and won't get) is for Gigabyte to put it back in production. Can't find it anywhere these days.

Hi all,

Just had some spare time to continue the sl installation. But i'm getting a panic.

I'm booting 10.6 and getting the following panic:

com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(2.0.0)0x<MEMADDR>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.0.0) <MEMADDR>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6) <MEMADDR>

Problem fixed, it seem to be a problem with the kext cache, regenerating it solves the problem.

Has any one run a OpenCL bench mark on this board?

-X

Use Pacifist to extract the boot file from core/usr/standalone/i386. You don't need the other files in this folder as long as you already have an installed Chameleon bootloader. Open terminal, login using sudo -s, and cp the extracted boot file to the root of your sl install. works.

Right now I am using 8 gigs of ram and all seems well.

I completed my install today after weeks and weeks of following this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed. After replacing the Chameleon boot file with the most recent working one from adidasprince, I brought my machine back up to 4GB and ran the memory test recommended in the very first link. No lockups, but I did get a bunch of malloc errors, starting with megabyte 3507:

malloced meg 3505, res 0xffc00000

malloced meg 3506, res 0xffd00000

memtest(195) malloc: *** mmap(size=1048576) failed (error code=12)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

malloc meg 3507 failed

I'm guessing this is simply because no memory is available above 3.5GB, and there isn't really a problem. I'm using 256MB of memory for video, the default, but perhaps that amount is doubled as mentioned in this thread.

Should we all be using 512MB for video if we have 4GB+ RAM? Anyone notice any benefits with our IGP video?

Has any one tested OpenCL and 9400M, i'm getting {censored} performance on 10.6.0 on my igp.

I've not installed NVinject.

Did you mean OpenGL?? I'm assuming you did. You may need to turn on support for it and than may mean install xtools from Apple, I believe you had to under Leopard and in fact things OSXtools offered a one-click button to do so. Try searching 'OpenGL snow site:www.insanelymac.com'.

Please let us know what you find.

Did you mean OpenGL?? I'm assuming you did.

Nope really meant OpenCL as in Open Computer Language, i.e. doing computations on the GPU in stead of the CPU. As SnowLeopard does support OpenCL for the 9400M, its interesting the use the 16 cuda cores for computation.

-X

Hi...

@dlach: Thanks for the support! :thumbsup_anim:

Based on the guide two posts ago I have solved the dual view problem! :D ... for 95% running well!.... Yeah...!

Attached you will find the dsdt.aml I have compiled. You have simple copy this file in the extra folder!

I only tested Snow Leopard.

I will keep you informed about my experiences during the next few days..

Have fun and good night!

Burzel

Hi,

Is any way to use your solution also with 10.5.8 (installed using dlach's tutorial from the beginning this topic) ? I've tried putting your dsdt.aml and is not working (booting fine but still cannot enable the second display without all screens going blank) ?

I've seen some topics in this forum about modifying nvinject but I don't have one installed in the system.

Thank you

Hi,

Is any way to use your solution also with 10.5.8 (installed using dlach's tutorial from the beginning this topic) ? I've tried putting your dsdt.aml and is not working (booting fine but still cannot enable the second display without all screens going blank) ?

I've seen some topics in this forum about modifying nvinject but I don't have one installed in the system.

Thank you

I suspect you'd have better results by not using the dsdt.aml from burzel since his has at least a few couple of modifications just for Snow. I'd make the modifications directly to the Leopard dsdt.dsl and compile it yourself.

I'm pretty sure it works in Leopard since that is where the changes were uncovered.

Nope really meant OpenCL as in Open Computer Language, i.e. doing computations on the GPU in stead of the CPU. As SnowLeopard does support OpenCL for the 9400M, its interesting the use the 16 cuda cores for computation.

-X

I ran the tool HERE and it looks like it isn't finding the gpu.

[Platform 0]

Name: Apple

Vendor: Apple

Version: OpenCL 1.0 (Oct 16 2009 04:12:08)

Profile: FULL_PROFILE

[OpenCL-only Context]

1 OpenCL device found!

[Device 0]

Name: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

Vendor: Intel

Type: CPU

Device Version: OpenCL 1.0

Driver Version: 1.0

Compute Units: 2

Work Group Size: 1

Clock: 3000 MHz