[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Heheh got itchy fingers and updated to 10.6.2 in swupdate.. A big no no!.. EBIOS error and stuff. Dont have the time to dwell in that.

Just a heads up..

So do it the right way. I know netkas has some info on his site and I guess there wil be some in this forum as well. Just dont be lazy like me and just press update. ;)

I will try it the right way tomorrow :)

/C

This is what I found on the Net today...

"Tonight Apple has released the next update Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Attention: Do not update if you have SleepEnabler.kext in the Chameleon Extra folder. It will result in a Kernel Panic!!! For more info about this issue read this post in the Netkas Blog. Remove SleepEnabler.kext or replace it with the newer version made by Netkas before updating to Mac OS X 10.6.2."

Source *Klick*

Update to 10.6.2 went well. I did it by downloading the combo update and then installing from a test USB installation of 10.6.1. Strangely, I had to first update the USB installation to 10.6.2 before it would allow me to install 10.6.2 to my main drive.

Also, see the link that e60 provided about sleepenabler. Install this kext into E/E BEFORE you update. I was fortunate enough to find this out before I performed my update and potentially saved myself a great deal of frustration. Of course, if you think about it, unless you want to use your machine without a network connection :unsure: there's really no point to having this kext in the first place.

I tried a realtek 8169 ethernet card as a way of overcoming the sleep issue, but no luck. SL finds the card just fine and the necessary kext is already part of the vanilla install. The problem is that the system refuses to sleep with it installed. Also, the computer rebooted after being told to shutdown. I removed the card and shutdown works again. Got to find something that works for sleep.

I manage to boot up from the BOOTCD.iso, but when it finally loads, the background image is halfway over to the left. The "Apple_HFS" icon is in the middle of the screen.

I insert the retail Snow Leopard DVD, and press F10. Nothing happens, so i press TAB. In the regular black bootloader thing, i press F10, and the system apparently does what it's supposed to do. But it doesn't return to the black bootloader prompt nor to the nice picture screen.

Eventually, I press TAB again, and return to the blue, black and grey picture screen. I press ENTER, but the system just says "Memory allocation error (0x4382dc0, 0x0)".

523518.jpeg

Does anybody know what might be the problem?

I manage to boot up from the BOOTCD.iso, but when it finally loads, the background image is halfway over to the left. The "Apple_HFS" icon is in the middle of the screen.

I insert the retail Snow Leopard DVD, and press F10. Nothing happens, so i press TAB. In the regular black bootloader thing, i press F10, and the system apparently does what it's supposed to do. But it doesn't return to the black bootloader prompt nor to the nice picture screen.

Eventually, I press TAB again, and return to the blue, black and grey picture screen. I press ENTER, but the system just says "Memory allocation error (0x4382dc0, 0x0)".

523518.jpeg

Does anybody know what might be the problem?

Quadra800,

Are you using a 100% SATA rig (DVD and HD)? If not, and you want to go to SL, then get SATA gear. If so, follow the guide carefully, you should to wait for the DVD to spin up before hitting F10.

All:

I also updated to 10.6.2 before checking the notes here from e60 and netcastle. I followed Netkas' instructions and it worked fine using software update. I put instructions on post #1. As netcastle and e60 mention you MUST do something about any existing SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extensions, either delete it or replace with the one from Netkas. Also using jon55's bios I think it best to put a NullCpuPowerManagement.kext (as per the guide) in /Extra/Extensions. I'm working on some changes to the dsdt that I hope will obviate the need for it. As far as I can tell, 10.6.2 didn't do anything for our board. Sleep/Resume is still not working correctly.

Hello all,

after a long break regarding my hackintosh project I started a new run based on the new amazing possibilities...

... now my system is running well on 10.6.2! Thanks to all!

... running well if I only run one screen... VGA or HDMI. Because I have an internal screen as well as my external TV that is real nasty because I want to use the big screen sometimes!

I have read something a VBIOS i can load into chameleon ... but I absolutly unknown... :unsure:

Is there anybody who have an solution to this issue or give me a hint where I can find a solution?

Thanks a lot!

Burzel

Are you using a 100% SATA rig (DVD and HD)? If not, and you want to go to SL, then get SATA gear. If so, follow the guide carefully, you should to wait for the DVD to spin up before hitting F10.

It's 99% SATA. I have an IDE DVD drive, but it's hooked up with a IDE-to-SATA adapter. It shouldn't make any difference from regular SATA.

I'm not really sure if the drive ever spins up... Maybe it doesn't recognize there's a different disc in it.

I'll check to see what is the case as soon as I get the time. Thanks :)

It's 99% SATA. I have an IDE DVD drive, but it's hooked up with a IDE-to-SATA adapter. It shouldn't make any difference from regular SATA.

I'm not really sure if the drive ever spins up... Maybe it doesn't recognize there's a different disc in it.

I'll check to see what is the case as soon as I get the time. Thanks :D

I'd be willing to bet 99% isn't good enough. The optical drive needs to support AHCI which I bet your ide to SATA adapter doesn't do. Time for a trip to newegg.

Is there anybody who have an solution to this issue or give me a hint where I can find a solution?

I don't even know if the board itself support running both DVI/VGA and HDMI. If you want to solve it you probably either mess with the dsdt settings or efi strings nvcap settings. Don't know if efi strings will override the dsdt but if it does that is your best bet. I'd search for nvcap on the Nvidia 9400.

@dlach

I don't even know if the board itself support running both DVI/VGA and HDMI.

The board supports Dualview. Found this here on page 22 in the Manuel.

Dual Display Configurations:

This motherboard provides three ports for video output: DVI-D, HDMI and D-Sub. The table below

shows the supported dual display configurations.

page22v4sa.jpg

@Burzel

Same issues here. I can´t use DVI and D-Sub at same time working on SL. No Problems with Windows. Please keep me informed when you´ll find a solution!

Hi...

right the system is running in dual mode quite well.

In my old leopard project I run my system with DSDT.aml from signal64s, nvkush with a special addon by using this method (thanks to project-partner chrilled! :thumbsup_anim: ) in dual mode successfully.

Now I switched to snow leopard and I think how I can implement the old leopard solution into sno tto get both screens running...

Do I have to switch toanother unpatched bios?

Ist there a possibility to add some informtion to chameleon... ?

Do I have to downgrade to leopard...

... but I need both screens... :)

I am very grateful about every support...

Thanks a lot!

Burzel

Hi...

right the system is running in dual mode quite well.

In my old leopard project I run my system with DSDT.aml from signal64s, nvkush with a special addon by using this method (thanks to project-partner chrilled! :P ) in dual mode successfully.

Now I switched to snow leopard and I think how I can implement the old leopard solution into sno tto get both screens running...

Do I have to switch toanother unpatched bios?

Ist there a possibility to add some informtion to chameleon... ?

Do I have to downgrade to leopard...

... but I need both screens... :wacko:

I am very grateful about every support...

Thanks a lot!

Burzel

Well I did exactly the search I told you guys to try and I quickly found that you just change the NVCAP buffer in the dsdt. So try this:

- get the NVCAP string from Chillred, I think based on your link it is (I put the bars in so you could see the relationship between the string and the hex numbers in the buffer).

04|00|00|00 |00|00|01|00 |02|00|00|00 |00|00|00|07 |00|00|00|00

- install DSDTSE

- grab the DSDT.dsl from your running SL hack.

- search for the NVCAP buffer and based on the string above, make it look like this:

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

Save the edited dsl, compile it (make sure there are no errors, warnings are OK), and then install it (select your OSX volume and the Extra checkbox. It should put a dsdt.aml in your /Extra folder. This dsdt will override the one in the BIOS.

Now reboot, if you have troubles, boot from the BootCD and delete the dsdt.aml and try again.

The newest one is not stable cos "the missing memory area" hasnot be determined and i'm still tracking on it (which i will deal with after 256m vs. 512m variation solved).  Pls use the old one, althou it cost you 512m mems.    :D It's not real easy to find a universal loader solution to get >2GB problem done.  There may be other memory map variations, like 32-bit vs. 64-bit cpu or single vs. double channel mems etc., which gigabyte won't never tell us.  

After i dumped /proc/iomem from Fedora11, i shrank the "missing memory" area a little and the patch looks like working stable for me both 256m and 512m.  Here is the newest packages based on PCEFI V10.5.  As usual, you can use them at 10.6.x and >4GB, i think.

I'm little tired ...  :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: NOTICE THIS: I have 1 and only 1 PCI card on my e7aum. If you got more PCI device, Maybe some more unusable mems (like around 5M) must be shrunk.

256m.iomem.fedora11.txt

512m.iomem.fedora11.txt

256m.patch.txt

512m.patch.txt

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_PCEFIV10.5_256m.pkg.zip

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_PCEFIV10.5_512m.pkg.zip

Hi...

@dlach: Thanks for the support! :unsure:

Based on the guide two posts ago I have solved the dual view problem! :( ... for 95% running well!.... Yeah...!

Attached you will find the dsdt.aml I have compiled. You have simple copy this file in the extra folder!

I only tested Snow Leopard.

I will keep you informed about my experiences during the next few days..

Have fun and good night!

Burzel

dsdt.aml.zip

Hi...

@dlach: Thanks for the support! :)

Based on the guide two posts ago I have solved the dual view problem! :D ... for 95% running well!.... Yeah...!

Attached you will find the dsdt.aml I have compiled. You have simple copy this file in the extra folder!

I only tested Snow Leopard.

I will keep you informed about my experiences during the next few days..

Have fun and good night!

Burzel

Excellent! Not only having you been fishing but you've handed out the fish you caught to your friends. Nice work.

Excellent! Not only having you been fishing but you've handed out the fish you caught to your friends. Nice work.

Well, I can only hope some guru will now turn attention to the sleep issue (no eth and no sound after sleep, and somewhat unrealiable sleep behaviour). We are very close to have a flawless board with our beloved GA-E7AUM-D2SH.

Congrats to all the ones involved in the nice work done in solving the memory and dual display issues.

Well, I can only hope some guru will now turn attention to the sleep issue (no eth and no sound after sleep, and somewhat unrealiable sleep behaviour). We are very close to have a flawless board with our beloved GA-E7AUM-D2SH.

Congrats to all the ones involved in the nice work done in solving the memory and dual display issues.

Yeah I could use the help of a guru too. I've created the dsdt from scratch on linux using the latest BIOS (on the euro and taiwan sites), merged in stuff from the apple 9400 dsdt all to no avail. It turns out that eno, who authored nforcelan has yet to investigate resume errors under SL. I've started to suspect it is generic resume problems and am looking at the ssdt to try to get rid of resume errors but I worry even if it has some effect, that it will be processor specific and that won't help all of the people unwilling or unable to boot the ubuntu live cd and pull down their ssdt. I have patched it so you don't need NullCpu kexts anymore but that is no big deal.

As for audio, well I'm not looking at it, $15 will get you a superior USB audio interface that resumes just fine.

Hi , i read this thread through and i still have one question before i begin my first ever hackintosh install. I'm gonna go for SnowLeopard since that has some goodies i'm after , and i have almost all the right hardware ( only 2GB of ram , SATA system drive, SnowLeopard DVD ) but i'd like to know if there's a way to install from USB drive ?! I dont have access to SATA DVD drive and this install would be only time i'd use it so if i can avoid throwing money away it'd be nice.......

If so , are there anywhere instructions as how i'd exactly go about it ?

thanks

Hi , i read this thread through and i still have one question before i begin my first ever hackintosh install. I'm gonna go for SnowLeopard since that has some goodies i'm after , and i have almost all the right hardware ( only 2GB of ram , SATA system drive, SnowLeopard DVD ) but i'd like to know if there's a way to install from USB drive ?! I dont have access to SATA DVD drive and this install would be only time i'd use it so if i can avoid throwing money away it'd be nice.......

If so , are there anywhere instructions as how i'd exactly go about it ?

thanks

I think you can use rbonon's guide for getting the install done via USB key or PM e60 for the method he used. Then after it is installed on SATA you might be able to IDE successfully. You really should consider just moving on for your hack, it will save you a lot of time/trouble.

If you find it doesn't work and you really want to use your two hard disks you might look at one of those two drive NAS or external USB enclosures.

I think you can use rbonon's guide for getting the install done via USB key or PM e60 for the method he used. Then after it is installed on SATA you might be able to IDE successfully. You really should consider just moving on for your hack, it will save you a lot of time/trouble.

If you find it doesn't work and you really want to use your two hard disks you might look at one of those two drive NAS or external USB enclosures.

I went out and bought SATA DVD drive so i'm now ALL SATA and i'm still not getting past chameleon. I boot from the BootCD , put in my retail Snow leopard DVD , and it starts loading for a minute before giving me kernel panick screen. I followed the instruction to the letter , Flashed bios to John55's , SATA set to AHCI and both "Onboard IDE controller" and "NV SATA controller" are set to enabled.

I have a feeling bootcd.iso changed since you wrote your guide and its no longer compatible with our board.

( by the way , i had to enable Keyboard BIOS support , your guide doesnt have that info but without that i wasnt able to press F5 after inserting retail DVD. )

I went out and bought SATA DVD drive so i'm now ALL SATA and i'm still not getting past chameleon. I boot from the BootCD , put in my retail Snow leopard DVD , and it starts loading for a minute before giving me kernel panick screen. I followed the instruction to the letter , Flashed bios to John55's , SATA set to AHCI and both "Onboard IDE controller" and "NV SATA controller" are set to enabled.

I have a feeling bootcd.iso changed since you wrote your guide and its no longer compatible with our board.

( by the way , i had to enable Keyboard BIOS support , your guide doesnt have that info but without that i wasnt able to press F5 after inserting retail DVD. )

Hey wally,

I had the same problem when I started with SL. Unfortunately I am *edit* NOT *edit* quite sure what I did. But my onboard IDE controller was disabled.

The other thing which was important for me, is that I needed to disable (and still need) the additional graphics card. Make sure you have the option "initialize display first" to onboard not PEG.

My hack is working with both cards (using efi strings) if the display is connected to the onboard GFX. If I connect the display to the PCIe I have to disable the onboard GFX.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get it working with both GPUs and the display connected to the PCIe GFX, which is my favorite scenario because than I could boot flawless in Windows and OSX.

Hope you will work it out.

Cheers

wanky

You don't have more than 2GB of memory do you, because that sure sounds like the memory panic. Wanky, IIRC, your problem was you had >2GB of memory because you had the additional graphics card.

BootCD hasn't changed. Did you "load optimized defaults" between flashing and setting the BIOS options? Also check to make sure your DVD is AHCI compatible. I will update the guide, I didn't put it in because not everyone has USB keyboards.

Do you have an additional graphics card installed? If you do you might want to remove it to get through the install.

You don't have more than 2GB of memory do you, because that sure sounds like the memory panic. Wanky, IIRC, your problem was you had >2GB of memory because you had the additional graphics card.

Totally agree, now I remember again :wacko:. For install I remove 2 GB of RAM and disable the PCIe.

Cheers

wanky

BootCD hasn't changed. Did you "load optimized defaults" between flashing and setting the BIOS options? Also check to make sure your DVD is AHCI compatible. I will update the guide, I didn't put it in because not everyone has USB keyboards.

Do you have an additional graphics card installed? If you do you might want to remove it to get through the install.

OK problem was somewhere else.... Only 2GB of memory here and using on board GFX. I DID load optimized defaults once i flashed BIOS to 3Fa BUT problem was that Floppy and COM Ports were enabled. I disabled COM ports and Floppy and i installed just fine.

I ran into another problem though step 16 went fine i guess ( i'm not terminal guru to know but i gather it went fine since it asked for password and retured to terminal without any errors , but step 17 said it cant find extension.kext file or direcotory. I'm copy/Pasting your code so i'm sure i dont have any typos. I'm not sure what those steps are supposed to accomplish though , since my audio , restart work. I dont need sleep working since i'm using this as a server.

Huge downside for me is that after i reboot , after BIOS post , i get chameleon screen where i have to choose startup disk. I'm VNC-ing to the machine so obviously i'm unable to reboot machine if this chameleon start up doesnt automaticly select my boot drive. This is huge as my server is in my attic ... anybody knows how i can overcome this ? I cant use start up disk in System preferences like i can on my real Mac's :-(

THanks !

OK problem was somewhere else.... Only 2GB of memory here and using on board GFX. I DID load optimized defaults once i flashed BIOS to 3Fa BUT problem was that Floppy and COM Ports were enabled. I disabled COM ports and Floppy and i installed just fine.

I ran into another problem though step 16 went fine i guess ( i'm not terminal guru to know but i gather it went fine since it asked for password and retured to terminal without any errors , but step 17 said it cant find extension.kext file or direcotory. I'm copy/Pasting your code so i'm sure i dont have any typos. I'm not sure what those steps are supposed to accomplish though , since my audio , restart work. I dont need sleep working since i'm using this as a server.

Huge downside for me is that after i reboot , after BIOS post , i get chameleon screen where i have to choose startup disk. I'm VNC-ing to the machine so obviously i'm unable to reboot machine if this chameleon start up doesnt automaticly select my boot drive. This is huge as my server is in my attic ... anybody knows how i can overcome this ? I cant use start up disk in System preferences like i can on my real Mac's :-(

THanks !

Glad you're up and running.

BUT problem was that Floppy and COM Ports were enabled. I disabled COM ports and Floppy and i installed just fine.

That is just bizarre, did you have things hooked up to the floppy and com ports? Don't worry if it can't find the extensions cache since one probably wasn't generated.

i get chameleon screen where i have to choose startup disk.

You just need to edit /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and add keys/strings for "Default Partition" and "Timeout". Do a google search "chameleon Timeout" site:www.insanelymac.com and you should get a hit. Similar for the default partition. Let us know if you get stuck.

Sorry about going non-Mac in the thread, but does anyone know if this board supports 1066 MHz (PC2-8500) memory specified for 2.0 volt? According to specs and Gigabyte website it is not officially supported... would be good to know if someone tried it and what the result was?? Please?

If it works, does that give that the GPU is faster than if using 800MHz memory (I'm hoping it does)??

I must say this thread has shown some seriously excellent work lately! Interesting! ;)

Glad you're up and running.

That is just bizarre, did you have things hooked up to the floppy and com ports? Don't worry if it can't find the extensions cache since one probably wasn't generated.

You just need to edit /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and add keys/strings for "Default Partition" and "Timeout". Do a google search "chameleon Timeout" site:www.insanelymac.com and you should get a hit. Similar for the default partition. Let us know if you get stuck.

THanks for pointing me right direction. All it took was

<key>Default Partition</key>
	<string>hd(0,2)</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>

Now i just gotta get the darn IDE channel working. I have 2x750GB drives and i would hate to lose them. I connected them and they show up in BIOS fine but Snow Leopard totally ignores them. They dont show up in Disk Utility at all. Any ideas how or where i can start testing ?

Thanks a lot for help and this thread.

EDIT -> my search took me to this page http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/downloads/list but i have no idea what i'm supposed to use.