[Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC2 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.8) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC

FKA

176 posts in this topic

This is a guide for installing from a 10.5.6 retail DVD and SW Update to 10.5.7 for Gigabyte EP35 DS4.

***UPDATED 02/09/09 - Added 10.5.8 legacyHDA and new DSDT HDEF script - thanks to tmongkol + FakeSMC thanks to netkas and patched USB kext for 10.5.8 many thanks to slice***

***UPDATED 06/07/09 - Update to 10.5.8 and patched AppleHDA.kext ***

***UPDATED 13/07/09 - EFI Extensions updated UUID and VoodooPower kext added, some BIOS changes ***

***UPDATED 01/07/09 - Slice's USBFamily and PCWiz 64bit Jmicron kexts added ***

***UPDATED 05/06/09 - 10.5.7 AppleHDA ***

***UPDATED 16/05/09 - Untouched OSX partition (Apart from ATI GFX kexts :o ), Legacy kext only, on EFI partion***

I have recently purchased a 10.5.6 retail disk that can be ordered Here.

Installing using the 10.5.6 disk and new Chameleon 2.0 is very straight forward and has given me the cleanest install yet!

Required:

OS X 10.5.6 retail DVD

Boot132 iso (with NVKrush.)

Chameleon 2.0 RC2 - I can't post link Google it! You need both the installer and the binaries

Koalala's ACPI Patcher A working Windows XP install with NET Framework 3.5 required to run patcher

EFI_Extensions_inc_fakeSMC.zip

EFI_Extensions.zip

Patched_Kext.zip

Contains - 64bit Jmicron kext, only required if running PATA devices, Thanks to PCWiz

Moded USBFamily kext - for 10.5.8 Many thanks to slice

RealtekR1000 - shouldn't be needed but if having Bonjor issues and cant fix with DSDT use this

BIOS Settings:

- Limit CPUID - Disabled

- No Execute Memory Prot - Enabled

- CPU Enhanced Halt - Enabled

- CPU EIST Func - Enabled

- Virtualization Tech - Enabled

- ACPI Suspend Type - S3

- Soft off by PWR Button - instant off

- PME Event Wake up - Enabled

- Power on By Ring - Disabled

- HPET Support - Enabled

- HPET Mode - 64 bit

- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - AHCI

- SATA Port Native Mode - Enabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Device - Enabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - AHCI

- Init Display First - PEG

- Set AC Back Func - Soft off

Method:

Patching DSDT.aml

- In XP - Download the BIOS update version you are using from Gigabyte.

- Click on the "BIOS Patch" tab select your BIOS file and a folder to save the resulting DSDT.aml file.

- Check "Generate DSDT.aml", "Force DSDT" and "Stop on Warning"

- On the "General" tab check all boxes and click "Fixes" and again check all boxes then "OK"

- On the "Network" tab check "LAN0", "Fix GP9" and "Use TimeMachine Fix".

- The hardware location is PEX 5 on my MB but this can be checked by typing 'ioreg' into terminal.

- On Graphics tab select Your graphics card model and RAM size. Enter nVCAP requirements for nVidia or Framebuffer and device ID for ATI.

- Again hardware location is "PCI" and "0"

- Check "Use DSDT GFX" and "PEGP"

- In the audio tab select "ALC889a" and check "Use HDEF"

- Make sure "Award" is checked then click "Patch BIOS"

- Copy the resulting dsdt.aml file to a pen drive for later use.

Installing 10.5.6

(Note to ATI GFX Users - You may have to use safe mode (-x) when booting retail DVD and install from HDD, UNTIL you have you relevant patched ATI drivers and DSDT.aml in place.)

- Insert Boot132 disk and restart your machine. Note you must install from a SATA DvD drive

- Once the text has stopped scrolling eject the Boot132 disk and insert your retail 10.5.6 DVD.

- Let the drive finish reading the disk (when the light stops flashing.)

- Hit "escape" type "fe" and hit "enter"

- Press any key to boot the install disk.

- Once loaded select your preferred language then open the disk utility

- Erase the disk you wish to install to, then partition using GUID partition map and 'Macintosh journaled'

- Quit the Disk utility and install OSX, selecting the partition you have just formatted.

- Once the install has finished you should see a message stating that the install was a success. If not you have a problem!

- Reboot, swapping the 10.5.6 retail disk for the boot132 disk.

- Your machine should restart OS X should load to the welcome GFX.

- At this stage with my nVidia 8600 GT GFX card I had full resolution available, however GFX are software accelerated.

Installing Chameleon 2.0 RC1

- Unpack and copy the Chameleon installer to you OS X desktop.

- Open up and start the install process but dont forget to click the 'customize' tab.

- This will open a new window showing various options. Check the 'Chameleon EFI HFS' box and deselect any kexts within 'Extras' Continue with the install.

- Once the chameleon install is complete open up the terminal.

- Enter the following into terminal:

sudo -s
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskxs1 /Volumes/EFI (where x is the drive you have installed to.)
killall Finder

- You should now see the EFI partition on your desktop and in Finder.

- Right click (or Apple and click) on the EFI drive and click 'Get Info' or simply Apple and i

- Click the padlock at the bottom of the information tab and enter your password

- Change the permissions to read and right for all users

- Click the cog/gear icon (also at the bottom of the infor tab.) and select 'apply to all sub directories' then OK

- Click the padlock icon again closing it

- Unpack the Chameleon 2.0 binaries file and locate the smbios.plist I believe it's in the Optional Extras folder.

- Copy smbios.plist to EFI/Extra

- Copy the dsdt.aml file from your pen drive and paste to EFI/Extra, making sure you change the name to DSDT.aml

- Open the com.Apple.boot.plist found in EFI/Extra in text edit and add the following (care of netkas.):

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,2)</string> (where x is you OS X drive number.)
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

- Save changes to com.Apple.boot.plist

- Unpack kexts from the EFI Extensions attachment and copy to Desktop.

Right click on the UUID.kext and 'show package contents'
navigate to info.plist and open with text edit.

CFBundleIdentifier
com.free.driver.UUID
IOClass
UUID
IOMatchCategory
UUID
IOProviderClass
IOPlatformExpertDevice
IOResourceMatch
SMBIOS
UUID-key
00000000-0000-1000-8000-**********

Replace ******** with your MAC address which can be found in system profiler under Network.
Save changes and exit.
tip:- use characters only from MAC address do not ad ':'

You have 2 options here, you can copy the contents of /EFI Extensions/to EFI/Extra/Extensions, set the permissions for the extensions folder and leave it at that or more elegantly you can create and Extensions.mkext and remove/not have the Extensions folder in EFI/Extra/ .

To change permissions on Extensions folder, in terminal

sudo -s
chmod -R 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

To generate Extensions.mkext (Hijacked from stickpin.)

Copy EFI Extensions attachment to Desktop

sudo -s
chmod -R 644 /Users/MyName/Desktop/EFI\ Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /Users/MyName/Desktop/EFI\ Extensions

kextcache -a i386 -m /Users/MyName/Desktop/Extensions.mkext /Users/MyName/Desktop/EFI\ Extensions

cp -R ~/Desktop/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra

chmod 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext
chown root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

[/font][font="Arial"]umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI[/font]
[font="Arial"]

Restart with -f flag

- If you are using ATI card, at this point you will also have to install the relevant ATI drivers. A good place to look for them is in lastExile's thread here or on the OSX86 wiki. You do not need NATIT as you will have made the relevant patch when creating your DSDT.aml file and some ATI cards will work with stock ATI kext.

Most NVIDIA cards should work with a suitably patched DSDT.aml file.

- Some information on setting up surround sound using Audio Midi setup, by consolation here

- Some information on Legacy Audio by stickpin here Remember HDAEnabler is not required with DSDT patched for audio

Installing Patched Kext

To install patched kexts to System/Library/Extensions.

I recomend you use KextHelper to install, clear caches and repair permisions.

A simple way to clear caches and repar permissions is to use Applejack

Once you have downloaded and installed Applejack, restart in single user mode (-s) then type at the prompt "applejack AUTO" without quotes, case sensitive.

Update to 10.5.7

Add Disabler.kext (Now included in EFI Extensions attachment.) to /EFI/Extra/Extensions or recompile Extensions.mkext with Disabler.kext, save your origional mkext to desktop, fix permissions for new mkext and restart with -f flag.

Run software update and download and install 10.5.7 update. (Will restart twice.)

Remove Disabler.kext from /EFI/Extra/Extensions or replace origional mkext, repair permissions and restart with -f flag

Note: Unless it's causing you problems, leave the Disabler.kext installed

I'm using an ATI Radeon 3650 HD GFX card and found that I also had to reinstall my patched ATI drivers.

10.5.7 AppleHDA issues!

You will probably find that AppleHDA.kext from the 10.5.7 update no longer works.

Either reinstall 10.5.6 AppleHDA

(plist patched version here.) - AppleHDA1056p.kext.zip

OR - Edit HDEF part of DSDT.aml and use 10.5.7 AppleHDA.kext.

Install AppleHDA.kext10.5.7patched.zip As above this kext has been patched so no need for LegacyHDA kext.

Untested but this should also work with unpatched 10.5.7 AppleHDA and LegacyHDA kext for 10.5.7 available from tmongkol's thread here

Now to edit DSDT.aml

Search and download iASLMe, drop you current DSDT.aml file onto the iASLMe icon.

This will decompile your aml file to dsl.

Open your DSDT.dsl with text edit.

Using textedit open then copy and paste this HDEF_DSDT_part.dsl.zip

to your DSDT.dsl, replacing the HDEF section that already exists.

Save your DSDT.dsl then drop the edited DSDT.dsl on the iASLMe icon.

This will recompile to DSDT.aml

Install new DSDT.aml to EFI/Extra and restart.

If you have the old popping issue this can be fixed by setting you machine to MacPro 3,1 in smbios.plist. Don't ask me why but it works!

NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO USE HDAEnabler.kext WITH THIS METHOD !!

100% thanks to mitch_de for this!!!!!

Update to 10.5.8

Make sure you have AppleIntelCPUDisabler.kext installed.

Run software update and install 10.5.8.

10.5.8 Audio

Add the following script to the HDEF section of DSDT

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0C)
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"ConfigData", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x28)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Rebuild Extensions.mkext for EFI partition or add to Extra/Extensions, tmongkol's

Series_of_LegacyHDA.zip

Select the kext for your desired layout. I have picked 3out 2in HDA headphone as this gives both Digial SPDIF in and out along with 3 analogue outs and 2 analogue ins.

All should be well and good !!!wacko.gif

If you have an nVidia graphics card you will experience mouse lag when running iTunes or Quicktime. This can be fixed by removing or disabling AppleUpstreamuserclient.kext.

To remove delete AppleUpstreamuserclient.kext from System/Library/Extensions, delete Extensions.mkext and restart.

A Disabler.kext is floating around for this if you search for it.

Further info' can be found on PCWiz's site here.

Windows & 7 x64

I have Windows 7 x64 Beta installed to a separate HDD.

A point to note I did this retrospectively of my OS X install. To be sure I didn't mess anything up I physically disconnected my OS X drive prior to installing Windows 7 (This isn't necessary, since reinstalled Windows 7 with All drives connected.)

The formatting tool within the Windows 7 x64 installer will create a system reserved partition 200MB or so as well as the system partition. The system reserve partition must be selected in the Chameleon 2 GUI to boot Windows. Both the Windows NTFS and hidden boot partition are visible in the GUI.

If you wish to install to a software RAID0 then I strongly recomend see this article here .

Many thanks to the Chameleon team and all on Insanely Mac who've help me get this far.

ATA and AHCI Legacy kexts have been aquired from Chameleon 2, HDA Legacy from stickpin, Openhaltrestart from psystar

where in your guide can I setup a raid0 for osx and install xp on a separated disk and dual boot?

Link for raid0 in Chameleon 2 EFI Partition Boot guide.

Chameleon 2 will see your xp and it will work seamlessly/automatically.

---------

Great guide for the people but...

- Change the permissions to read and right for all users, making sure you apply to sub directories.

You should help out the uninformed and write out the permissions for the people. Also put the link above for the raid0 EFI boot guide. It is not that common of a request so don't put those directions in the guide unless you want. Thanks!

Link for raid0 in Chameleon 2 EFI Partition Boot guide.

Chameleon 2 will see your xp and it will work seamlessly/automatically.

---------

Great guide for the people but...

You should help out the uninformed and write out the permissions for the people. Also put the link above for the raid0 EFI boot guide. It is not that common of a request so don't put those directions in the guide unless you want. Thanks!

Point taken. Will update... Currently dont use RAID but happy to add the link.

I'm struggling like many others to get Chameleon RC2.0 to boot XP off my separate HDD.

I'm playing with EFI partition on XP HDD. when I know it works properly will add to post.

D.

Help!!

I am attempting a vanilla leopard install with boot-132 and Chameleon 2.0 r431.

My leopard disk is version 10.5.4.

I followed these exact instructions. Only difference is I am using a GA-P45-DS3R motherboard.

I did receive 2 warnings when patching the r10 bios file for this motherboard, no errors though. I had to force the build of the AML file. Otherwise everything else went without a hitch!

After final restart with -f, I end up with a NO SYMBOL over the apple logo on the grey screen.

Apparently, this means the boot drive can no longer be found. This occurs when booting from CD or hard drive.

It shouldn't be a hardware issue. I had Leopard up and running with older Chameleon v1-x and booting from hard-drive every time. After that, I upgraded to 10.5.6 through apple update but had no sound device available. Also, the computer went to sleep and froze. Instead of messing with that install, I found the new version of Chameleon and wanted to upgrade.

Any solutions would be appreciated. Should I reattempt this current install and upgrade to 10.5.6 immediately before installing the bootloader? If that doesn't make a difference, should I go back to Chameleon 1.x and wait for a stable release of v2.0?

I suppose I could deal with the sound issue, for now.. but I would really like to fix my current situation and get back to business.

Thanks to all the developers who have made this possible. I am so close to having my "dream" mac up and running.

I added -v to Chameleon, and in yellow print it says:

Failed to load extension com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage.

Then....

Still waiting for root device (over and over)

Hello, nice guide. :)

I'm sure this is how I'll do it next time I'll need to reinstall my system.

I have only one question though.

Why doesnt it need a network driver?

I use Chameleon 2.0, with vanilla OSX plus some kext & drivers.

The network driver I use sucks a bit, because it always takes a few seconds to initiate after wake up.

Oh, and one Advice. I didnt need any openhaltrestart kext.

Just set "Init Display First" in "Advanced Options" in Bios to "PEG".

But maybe you knew that already. :)

I got some problems working this guide

I have only one HDD, three partitions

First is a kalyway 10.5.2 leopard, second XP, third Storage

First I changed some bios settings a you wrote down, and my XP wouldn't start, then changed them back to default, then Patched my Bios file (EP35DS4.F6d) and changed Bios again.

booted with the boot132.iso, put in the MacOS 10.5.6 retail (Copy) and then after 5 minutes staring on the apple logo a disturbed screen came up and i can do nothing except force restart.

then loaded back my kalyway version, and tried to continue there with your guide. Chameleon installation works fine, but after trying to mount EFI partition in the terminal

(>>mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI<<) it says  >> Resource busy <<

What do I do wrong? bad Copy? need two HDDs? ne to format my Kalyway partition, or the whole HDD?

regardless of my problems this is a very nice guide, excuse my bad english

looking forward for some help

thank you

Help!!

Do you have netFramework 3.5 installed on XP?

Have you flashed with a patched bios or are you using the dsdt.aml ?

Are you using a retail copy of OSX?

Hello, nice guide. :gun:

I'm sure this is how I'll do it next time I'll need to reinstall my system.

I have only one question though.

Why doesnt it need a network driver?

I use Chameleon 2.0, with vanilla OSX plus some kext & drivers.

The network driver I use sucks a bit, because it always takes a few seconds to initiate after wake up.

But maybe you knew that already. :angry:

MY NIC actually works OTB.

I didn't know about setting Display from PCI to PEG in BIOS - ill give it a go, thanks :)

D.

I got some problems working this guide

I have only one HDD, three partitions

First is a kalyway 10.5.2 leopard, second XP, third Storage

First I changed some bios settings a you wrote down, and my XP wouldn't start, then changed them back to default, then Patched my Bios file (EP35DS4.F6d) and changed Bios again.

booted with the boot132.iso, put in the MacOS 10.5.6 retail (Copy) and then after 5 minutes staring on the apple logo a disturbed screen came up and i can do nothing except force restart.

then loaded back my kalyway version, and tried to continue there with your guide. Chameleon installation works fine, but after trying to mount EFI partition in the terminal

(>>mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI<<) it says >> Resource busy <<

What do I do wrong? bad Copy? need two HDDs? ne to format my Kalyway partition, or the whole HDD?

regardless of my problems this is a very nice guide, excuse my bad english

looking forward for some help

thank you

OK first with ACPI you will have to reinstall XP with ICH drivers (ICH9 if you have the same MB as me.). You can load from floppy during install by hitting F2 when prompted or as I did you can slipstreem XP install disk with the ich drivers using nlite. (Acceptable guide here)

Second I advise you buy a copy of 10.5.6 from Apple.

Third I have had all kinds of problems with the beta BIOS you are using. I'd advise using F5.

Regarding EFI you usually get that message if your trying to mount on the wrong drive/partition. Is your drive formatted as GUID?

D

Any chance your guide wouldn't work on a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R?

I've compared both your GA EP35 DS4 and my EP35C DS3R and the only difference really is the 2nd PCIe x16, take a look here!

I'm fairly new to this and what I don't really get is why does the new BIOS need to be pached

Hi

You need a copy of the BIOS ROM file you have currently flashed to you MB so you can extract the DSDT.aml using koalala's pacher. You do not have to flash the patched BIOS to your MB.

Have a good read of koalala's thread.

The DSDT.aml in basic terms is addressing incompatabilities between you Motherborads DSDT and OS X.

Your MB has all the same chipsets as the GA EP35 DS4 so give it a go. Make sure you have everything on your system backed up first !!

D

But maybe you knew that already. :)

I've tried removing openhaltrestart.kext - It does not work for me. Are you sure you cleared your caches when you removed this kext ??

D.

I've tried removing openhaltrestart.kext - It does not work for me. Are you sure you cleared your caches when you removed this kext ??

D.

Hi, Its just that I have never installed it in the first place.

As I said, I've installed the vanilla DVD with the help of Boot-132 CD. Then I used this driver package. (I think it was version 12) LS8 drivers

My graphics card Is a 8800GT. It works with EFI strings.

Bios version of my EP35-DS4 is F5

When I had init device set to PCI, whenever I went into sleep, it would just give me a black screen at wake up. Setting it to PEG solved it for me. PEG only means, that the mobo will look for a graphics card in the first PCI-Express slot first. If set to PCI it will search for a graphics card on the PCI slots and only then on the PCIe slot.

As normally people only use the PCIe slots for graphics, it should be the recommended settings. And of course it also helped my system to wake from sleep in OSX.

Anyway, sorry it doesnt work for you.

For sleep only, this post seems intresting.

I checked the "Restart after a power failure" in "Energy Saver" system preference's "Option" tab, as you said. Now, instant comeback from "Sleep" does work.

Restart and Shutdown were never an issue for me.

EDIT: ah I see now. Maybe the file AppleACPIPlatform.kext in the mentioned package by LS8 could have been the one that solved the problem right away, without me noticing? I'm no pro. And I cant really say. But that should be it. Sorry that I made you loose your time. And btw. In that driver package I mentioned, theres also the network driver I used. Thing is, that this driver enabled Bonjour services, Apple sharing, iTunes sharing etc. But it always takes a few seconds to initialize after wake up.

@Harrobbed

No worries mate its good to try different things.

There is whole host of kext in the LS8 bundle you really don't need for this MoBo.

Sleep actually works in a fashion with this install. The monitor and HDD go to sleep but the fans are still fired up so I'm guessing the MoBo is awake.

Personally not too bothered about sleep!

If you haven't already you should have a look at koalala's patcher for GFX, ethernet and audio.

D

Hi there I have a gigabyte Ep35c-ds3l.

I boot with boot132 disk and swap with the 10.5 retail as soon as the text stops scrolling (boot: prompt).

I follow what you wrote about so I hit esc, type fe and enter but the boot loader returns to the boot: prompt and nothing happens. I have tried typing 80, 81 etc. but still no go. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:

While waiting for a reply, I went on and installed iPC 10.5.6 - everything (wifi- gfx) works fine but I suspect that the graphics card does not have the hardware acceleration enabled (even though it is detected and the resolution displays at full 1920x1200). I am experiencing extensive image shearing and slow image loading, which is not right for a 8800GT 512MB. How can I check the status of hardware acceleration?

Hi there I have a gigabyte Ep35c-ds3l.

I boot with boot132 disk and swap with the 10.5 retail as soon as the text stops scrolling (boot: prompt).

I follow what you wrote about so I hit esc, type fe and enter but the boot loader returns to the boot: prompt and nothing happens. I have tried typing 80, 81 etc. but still no go. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:

While waiting for a reply, I went on and installed iPC 10.5.6 - everything (wifi- gfx) works fine but I suspect that the graphics card does not have the hardware acceleration enabled (even though it is detected and the resolution displays at full 1920x1200). I am experiencing extensive image shearing and slow image loading, which is not right for a 8800GT 512MB. How can I check the status of hardware acceleration?

Hi

this is a guide for installing from a 10.5.6 retail disk. Not 10.5.

As for using the boot132 iso - 'fe' is the address for my DVD drive. Once boot132 has loaded and you hit escape the drive you loaded boot132 from will be listed before the prompt. i.e ... fe:

D.

That's correct - as soon as I get to the boot I hit ESC, and at the new prompt there are 2 letters in the parenthesis. So without typing anything at all I hit ENTER. And all it does is takes me back to the boot: screen :-(

There must be something I am missing cause judging from the posts in this forum the outlined method really works!

And by the way I did use the 10.5.6 RETAIL.

That's correct - as soon as I get to the boot I hit ESC, and at the new prompt there are 2 letters in the parenthesis. So without typing anything at all I hit ENTER. And all it does is takes me back to the boot: screen :-(

There must be something I am missing cause judging from the posts in this forum the outlined method really works!

And by the way I did use the 10.5.6 RETAIL.

dude - you have to retype the letters that are listed before the prompt, then hit enter.

Hope you get it working.

D.

dude - you have to retype the letters that are listed before the prompt, then hit enter.

Hope you get it working.

D.

Did that, still no go. The DVDROM light flashes for a few seconds, the drive starts spinning but then the light goes out (although I still hear the disk spinning). I waited for 5 minutes but nothing happened. Not a happy bunny

:-(

@invisiblesurfer

Is your DVD drive SATA?

YES both the HDD and the DVD are SATA - I am not sure if they have to be in connected to some specific SATA port on the mobo.

I have followed your BIOS settings to the letter, although my GA-EP35C-DS3R is slightly different (but can not be THAT much different).

It must be something tiny I am missing.

YES both the HDD and the DVD are SATA - I am not sure if they have to be in connected to some specific SATA port on the mobo.

I have followed your BIOS settings to the letter, although my GA-EP35C-DS3R is slightly different (but can not be THAT much different).

It must be something tiny I am missing.

For the sake of the string - invisiblesurfer was using a copy of 10.5.6 downloaded from unknown source.

You must use a genuine copy of OS X 10.5.6.

D.

I went to the store and bought a retail osx dvd.

I booted my pc with boot132 cd, swapped to the retail DVD and WHOAH IT WORKED!!! It picked it up and started loading up.

At the end of the installation it give me the message "Installation failed" and something about the installer not being able to prepare the hard disk for boot. What the heck?!