Windows Genuine Advantage (spit)

Metrogirl

60 posts in this topic

6. Computer Information. This supplement uses Internet protocols to send to Microsoft computer information, such as your Windows XP product key, hard drive serial number, PC manufacturer, operating system version, Windows XP product ID, PC BIOS information, user locale setting, language version of Windows XP, validation result and whether the installation of this supplement was successful. Certain information derived from your IP address, which cannot be used to identify you, is retained in association with this computer information.

7. Use of Information. We may use the computer information to improve our software and services, help prevent improperly licensed use of the software, and develop aggregate statistics. We may also share the aggregate data with others, such as hardware and software vendors and volume licensees to help protect their license keys.

8. CONSENT FOR INTERNET-BASED SERVICES. BY USING THIS FEATURE, YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSMISSION AND USE OF THE ABOVE COMPUTER INFORMATION. MICROSOFT DOES NOT USE THE INFORMATION TO IDENTIFY OR CONTACT YOU.

9. Privacy Notice: For additional Information about the computer information transmitted to Microsoft, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=68985.

10. Support Services for Supplement. Microsoft provides support services for the software as described at www.support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

Its pretty hillarious that Microsoft keeps coming up with newer versions of WGA to try and get one up on the hackers. It pretty easy to do for most people, however I do feel sorry for the tech guys and business people fixing the XP machines that can't keep track of legit XP's from copies laying around their shops. Calling India to verify keys would be a pain in the arrrrrsssss. Maybe Microshaft will have to provide a disabling program for IT, business, techs for some more money, otherwise money will be lost on the time your taking being put on hold waiting to talk to some tech you can't even understand to get key verifications. You guys are right in that its just as easy to disable the damn thing if your running legit or not. There are thousands of people out there with legit XP's (or they think they have legit XP's) getting rejected by WGA.

• 3 weeks later...

since years they have been selling the same old {censored} over and over again

keep in mind the computer is the biggest time killer

and still just a typewriter

I want to get paid for all the time I"m and have been wasting

within my 20 years

we should sue the basterds ...

I just read thru all the post here and have found that whichever poster you read, you see their bias, be it MS or Mac. The real simple fact is that people are going to use and be comfortable with whichever system they have been using and what they want it to do for them.

I have used both and I find favor and fault with both. One is not better overall than the other. Some things I find work better with the Mac and others with MS, but the fact remains that I find myself using my XP box much more than my Mac and not because the XP box is any better, but rather I am more comfortable using it than doing the same thing on the Mac.

This is true of most users, it doesn't matter if they use a Mac or MS, they are going to use the system they are most comfortable with and then apply a bias based on thier own experiences. As you can see mine would probably be with XP; however, the more I use my Mac the more I start liking it. Then I find a piece of software that I really like and lo and behold it is only availible for Windows or the windows version just runs better.

So there you have it, obviously a bias, but it is based on my experience and what I am comfortable with.

What's the big deal, Microsoft has the right to, and should be protecting their OS from running illegaly. This patch then shouldn't bother you, if it does, then you're running an illegal OS. You should have it legally, if you don;t and dont like that, don't run it to begin with.

Man wake up! You don't get it do you? It is not they want to check the legality of the Windows install, it is that Microsoft collects allow of personal information that is none of their damn business. It is an invasion of privacy. But hey if you want to give Microsoft all the information, have at it. :hysterical:

If you mean software update, they have a program you install, which scans your hardware and software information and then constructs the updates you need. It doesnt send anything to microsoft about you or your software or hardware.

If you mean Activation, what it does is uses your hardware to create a unique hash value that it sends to microsoft, retrieving an activation hash which it matches against your hardware hash. If they coincide, you're activated.

No information about your hardware is transmitted, just a key formulated from the specifics about your hardware.

EDIT: The hardware hash cannot be decrypted. It is a one-way hash.

If you mean software update, they have a program you install, which scans your hardware and software information and then constructs the updates you need. It doesnt send anything to microsoft about you or your software or hardware.

If you mean Activation, what it does is uses your hardware to create a unique hash value that it sends to microsoft, retrieving an activation hash which it matches against your hardware hash. If they coincide, you're activated.

No information about your hardware is transmitted, just a key formulated from the specifics about your hardware.

EDIT: The hardware hash cannot be decrypted. It is a one-way hash.

yep, thats what i meant..... oy its early in the morning......