52 replies to this topic

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
Cheers MAJ

I just haven't needed the platforumUUID.kext with standard AMi BIOS.
Using "rd=uuid boot-uuid=888888888888888****************" as Nathan's guide shows has removed the errors.

Any idea why, using the EFI BIOS, that I need patformUUID.kext?

EDIT - Doh! I switched from [b]AsereBLN Booter with auto generation of system ID back to chameleon trunk !
Will add system ID to boot.plist.

I'd forgotten to add
my LAN to the EFI DSDT !

Cheers
D.

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hey, FormerlyKnownAs,
Ah, so using that kernel flag, rd=uuid boot-uuid=UUID_HERE, works okay now?
Plus, you were using the AsereBLN bootloader, which adds a SystemID, which, in turn, adds a Platform UUID. Gotcha.
And, Time Machine needs the Ethernet defined as "Built-In," which you were doing in DSDT. Gotcha.

There's a bit of ground to cover, isn't there? :)

MAJ

olegus

olegus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi.

Thank you for the guide. I have similar setup: SSD drive as boot drive, main os on RAID0 called mirror and one more drive called alt_boot for experiments.
My SSD drive is marked as active and I have copy of boot on all volumes, plus regular stuff with copy of boot1h using dd to all mirror members.
I am using Carbon Copy to clone mirror to alt_boot. Issue is that because I have raid volume UUID in plist file on my boot disk under /extra/com.apple.boot.plist it will not boot to anything else. Not specifying UUID will result in no booting at all.
Issue is that even if I select to boot to alt_boot, it is still booting to mirror volume.

I might have messed it up somehow....
Any ideas would be helpful.

future_former

future_former

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I followed every step in this guide exactly and just managed it to load chameleon from my RAID disk. I also followd all steps in aquamac's guide here:

Aquamac's Guide for RAID0

but chameleon can't see any RAID-partitions, so I can't boot into my OS.

what am I doing wrong ? :) have a look at my "Boot OSX":

Posted Image
any help would be great !!!

future_former

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

I followed every step in this guide exactly and just managed it to load chameleon from my RAID disk. I also followd all steps in aquamac's guide here:

Aquamac's Guide for RAID0

but chameleon can't see any RAID-partitions, so I can't boot into my OS.

what am I doing wrong ? :censored2: have a look at my "Boot OSX":

Posted Image
any help would be great !!!

future_former

No Idea what you've done wrong but mach_kernel shouldn't be there I don't think.

Also have to tried renaming the boot partitions as per the guide?

You DO NOT need to do this part at the very start of the guide:
"diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk2s1
diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk3s1"

Great guide but me, being dyslexic, have been a little confused with that part at the start of the guide. and it leaves you with un-unmountable EFI partitions.

Maybe best to just start again and go go through bit by bit. It's easy to miss something or mess something up.

D

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Hey, FormerlyKnownAs,
Ah, so using that kernel flag, rd=uuid boot-uuid=UUID_HERE, works okay now?
Plus, you were using the AsereBLN bootloader, which adds a SystemID, which, in turn, adds a Platform UUID. Gotcha.
And, Time Machine needs the Ethernet defined as "Built-In," which you were doing in DSDT. Gotcha.

There's a bit of ground to cover, isn't there? :)

MAJ

A bit belated, but just read this.

My problem was I'd switched to UEFI BIOS and it contained no system UUID for chameleon to read, so chameleon was taking UUID from Mac address.
As I'd forgotten to to add LAN to DSDT it wasn't seen as internal and so UUID couldn't be taken fron it's MAC address...

..... I think ??! :)
D

felixity

felixity

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Thank you so much your guide is so thorough and I got my RAID0 booting!!

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Thank you so much your guide is so thorough and I got my RAID0 booting!!

Good isn't it ... :)

iPerplexity

iPerplexity

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ive tried following this guide from the beginning excpt I dont satisfy one of the assumptions. I didnt have an already running image of OSX. I installed onto raid 1 from scratch using #####.

Should this make much of a difference?

Also, the state of my system right now, is it will boot to Chameleon menu to select volume to boot and apon selection it reboots.

Any help?

cr4nky

cr4nky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thank you so much!

I had to do some workarounds for my build but in the end it worked :)

cr4nky

eject

eject

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
anyone still using this technique with lion?

way back I replaced the Leopard with CCC with a SL and it did un absolutely smothely without any further work.

now I replaced it with lion. It does not work anymore.

I started fresh (with clean boot osx partitions) with the newest version of chameleon, I put the Raid volume UUID in there as I am supposed to but it does not work as it should. when I boot from one of the raid volumes I get into chameleon. when I then coose one of the helper partitions it won't boot, says it can't ind mach_kernel. odd enough it does boot when I select another non raid volume. It then boots the raid.

If I put a mach_kernel into the boot helper partitions it directly fails an tells me it can't load the kexts. Others seemed to have a similiar problem, how did you guys fix it?

I can use the raid just fine but I can only boot it with the help of another installation, I don't want that

got it. you HAVE to use a chameleon trunk newer then 1200, it is covered here: http://www.insanelym...p...=264797&hl=

howmany

howmany

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm trying to follow the guide, but I can't because I don't have any helper partitions. On my two WD 500GB sata iii drives, I first partitioned a 64 and a remainder partition. THen I set the 64 part of each to striping, and the remainder of each to striping. I'm trying to boot to the 64gb section. Any idea why I wouldn't get the helper partition? And more importantly, is there a work around?

I'm on 10.7.2

Thanks

tormentor

tormentor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
You just saved my life....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy