Will I regret buying a first gen MacBook Pro?

BoBo

5 posts in this topic

Or will I be happy as long as I get a rev. E or later? I need to make the decision in the next two weeks. I'm taking a trip to China so the built in webcam is a big plus. Not to mention being able to run WinXP. Thoughts?

it really depends what you intend to do with the machine...

The main difference between the two processors is that merom is 64 bit.

Graphic intensive stuff will probably benefit from this. It also will give better battery life.

I think you should be fine with the current Macbook Pro: there wont really be THAT much of a difference when merom arrives, and the core duo is still an extremely powerful processor.

well the 17" just came out and frankly when u load the 15" up to a similar spec cpu and ram and the likes the 17 is way way better value.

they are very fast systems be sure of that revision e should be fine on a 15" who knows with the 17"

then again we expect a drop in intels cpus by up to $200 in the next month or 2

so when is a good time to buy?

when u need it basically

I am still on my powerbook PPC and it is fine and will wait for Leopard and the Merom chips in the next 6-8 months I think

....I'm taking a trip to China so the built in webcam is a big plus. Not to mention being able to run WinXP. Thoughts?

Honestly, no one can predict how well the MBP will hold up it's value when there will be 3 major revisions (new generation CPU) within 2 years. The key is, buy one when you need it, unless you are one of the 95% of the Mac users that does nothing bot using the webcam and browse the web. Then, buying decision is more like "do you feel lucky, punk!"

Yeah, a lot of it does depend on your current needs.

The iMac is a good option if you don't need TONS of mobility.

The issues with the MBP really concern me, though - and they've only been out for a few months. We don't know much about their long term life (although that could be said of all new computers).

What do some others think?