4890 and 4870 X2

davewolfs

91 posts in this topic

We've tried with the 4870X2, currently something doesn't work (in Snow Leo, seems to be OpenGL related at this stage. Some of the framebuffers don't work either. No support in Leopard at all). 4890, not sure yet

I'm trying to get my hands on the latest Snow Leo seed, 10A314 to test it with my 4870X2. With Snow Leo builds I've had more success, maybe this build will finally work at least with 1 core.

We've tried with the 4870X2, currently something doesn't work (in Snow Leo, seems to be OpenGL related at this stage. Some of the framebuffers don't work either. No support in Leopard at all). 4890, not sure yet

I'm trying to get my hands on the latest Snow Leo seed, 10A314 to test it with my 4870X2. With Snow Leo builds I've had more success, maybe this build will finally work at least with 1 core.

I just received my 4870 X2 the other day and I can say that the Motmot framebuffer in the 10.5.7 drivers is working. I have full resolution changing, rotation, TV support over HDMI, etc. I haven't yet tested a second monitor yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The way I got it to work is to copy all ATIRadeonX2000 files and ATINDRV.kext from 10.5.7 kexts and the OpenGL.framework from the 10.5.7 frameworks, then create an EFI string from the latest natit.kext (also located in the 10.5.7 Radeon 4800 files), starting with the Radeon 4800 section and modifying the device id to the 4870 X2 device ID of 0x94411002. I also needed to add the device id to ATIRadeonX2000.kext. The only problem is that I still don't have a working QE/CI. When I try to boot into normal mode (not safe mode) I get a black screen while the rest of the system boots up. If I boot into safe mode, I still have full resolution change, etc that was mentioned before, but of course no hardware 3d. I have a feeling that it has to do with the associated bundles that came with the 10.5.7 graphics drivers, but I'll keep trying.

Wow well it's good to know someone got the Motmot framebuffer working in 10.5.7. I couldn't get it to work, possibly because I was using Natit and I need to use an EFI string.

Either way, with 10A222 Snow Leo I managed to get QE/CI on my 4870X2, but the system is unusable with Finder crashing. The latest build also hasn't leaked, so I have no hope of testing it yet. Hopefully in the final 10.5.7/Snow Leo builds we might actually get them working :D

Yeah, there was one more detail I left out. When I modified the EFI string, I had to assign it to the pci-bridge@4, while the default one that gfxutil finds is pci-bridge@8. The problem is that the core that is not connected to the DVI ports (slave core) is assigned pci-bridge@8. Once I changed this, Motmot worked.

Ah cool, I'll have to remember that. When I get the next leaked/official build I think it's worth a shot to try again then. If we get QE/CI working, then we'll be laughing! And I can remove my 9500GT I bought specifically to work with OSX lol.

Success with QE/CI and framebuffer with one core of 4870x2 in Leopard. Netkas helped me with some modified drivers in order to enable QE/CI and combined with ATY_Motmot or ATY_Quail, it works. I will be posting pictures either later today or tomorrow.

Success with QE/CI and framebuffer with one core of 4870x2 in Leopard. Netkas helped me with some modified drivers in order to enable QE/CI and combined with ATY_Motmot or ATY_Quail, it works. I will be posting pictures either later today or tomorrow.

Is it possible for you to post a noob guide for that?

M0rpheus, get patched files here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161742

BlackKnight uses standart Motmot/Quail, so you need to ask him to share gfx string he used.

Hello,

I'm new to all this and have a 4870x2 as well. Would you be able to describe the process that BlackKnight used ?

After installing to the extensions folder, do you simply modify one of the device ID's in info.plist file (in ATIRadeonX2000.kext) and hex edit the binary (to replace this ID) and then do the usual clearing of cache, reboot etc. ? Or is there more to it than this ?

I'm looking to get this working under Leopard btw; though if Leopard is out of the question then I'll upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Has anyone tested if either of these cards work?

Hi All,

first off I'm a bit new to all this OS X lark, so excuse me if I've done something daft. :P

I've just got a 4890, and have been looking at getting this to work in OSX, and there doesn't seem to be a large amount of info.

I'm running 10.5.6, on Chamelion, I have installed the 10.5.7 driver from the 4850/4870 thread on here, but that didn't work.

I added the device ID to ATI2000.kext and natit.kext, which didn't seem to work either.

I then tried creating an EFI string based upon the info in the Natit driver (although I'm not 100% sure I did this right), and this has given me native resolution on my main monitor (plugged into the socket nearest to the mobo, as per the 4870 instructions.) and no image on my second monitor.

No CI/QE though so it's all a bit slow.

I have tried both with and without the 10.5.7 OpenGL framework from the 4850/4870 thread.

Has anyone got any further with this?

Here is the plist that you should put into EFIstudio's resources/graphic cards/ folder. This will give you a new option for adding the gfx string. Then, after you click add, but before you write to com.apple.Boot.plist, you need to change one thing. Your pci address will look something like Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(2x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(8x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) or something like that. Probably a little different towards the beginning depending on the PCIe port that your motherboard uses. You need to change the 8 to a 4. You can also check these values if you open IORegistryExplorer as it will show both addresses for your graphics card. I don't know why gfxutil always chooses the wrong address, but it needs to be the other one. Once you do this, you should have no problems.

Good luck,

Paul

EFI string

Hey there, having a problem.

I'm getting into safe mode with only 1024x768 res, but the correct info shows in System Profiler. When trying to boot normally, I get a garbled screen with no proper output. Any ideas?

EDIT: Found the problem. I didn't have the framebuffer installed. I'm looking around for the Quail framebuffer now. The ATINDRV I have only has Motmot.

I found I had ATY_Quail sitting around, so I'm using it and voila! 4870X2 working with QE/CI in Leopard :) Thanks to Netkas and Black Knight for editing the files/working the EFI string out. I had spent days before this trying to figure it out and gave up.

It seems like 4870x2 is working with some fixing now a days. I really would like to request a howto for the beginners.

Would that be possible for someone to write? Wich files do I need and how do make the card to work. Thanks for the good work guys.