Decent Video players for Mac?

Chris1976

27 posts in this topic

Being new to the world of Apple, I'm a bit set in my Windows ways. There are a few applications from Windows that I miss simply because I haven't found a decent Mac alternative.

I use the excellent freeware KM Player on Windows. It can play any audio/video format and supports dragging and dropping of subtitles. This is great because I don't have to rename the subtitle file to match the video file, and I don't need to enter the options menu to open it.

Also, you can alter the color settings, sound settings, screen ration etc all via a handy control box.

VLC isn't bad, but it's no match for The KM Player, IMO.

Is there anything this good for Mac?

• 1 month later...

The problem for me is how VLC renders Korean subtitles. I need to use Korean subtitles quite regularly but they always seem a little too faint. The KM Player seems to be able to handle Korean subs much better (probably because it's a Korean program).

I've tried changing the fonts but it doesn't seem to have any effect on Korean subtitles. I stand by what I said that KMP is better than VLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris:

Here's all the stuff you need to watch virtually any movie file on your Mac.

The best movie player is Movist. I've tried pretty much all the decent Mac movie players. I own QuickTime Pro ($29.99) and Chroma ($22), and I've tested all of the following free ones and a few more that I've forgetten: MPlayer (once good, now not), MPlayer OSX Extended (very good), NicePlayer (good), QTAmateur (OK), and of course VLC (plays everything, but not aesthetically nice). But by FAR the best one has proven to be the freeware Movist (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/27642/movist). It plays everything, even Matroska files (.mkv, which is a great new movie container format, but it's not yet supported on a lot of platforms). One of Movist's biggest strengths is subtitles/captions — it supports .smi and .srt file formats, and it's very customizable. In fact, it's extraordinary customizability is probably its biggest strength. You can make it do pretty much whatever you want.

In addition to a great movie player, you really must get the super fabulous freeware Perian, which is a QuickTime plugin that expands your Mac's video capabilities TENFOLD (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22923/perian). Normally your Mac will only play QuickTime media files, and it has difficulty with a lot of different subtitle filetypes. But Perian gives QT (and any other app that uses QT) the ability to easily play a whole bunch more filetypes, and it adds support for SSA subtitle files. The only major thing that Perian lacks is support for Windows Media files (.wma & .wmv). For that you need to get one more freeware app.

Flip4Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28842) is made by the company that moved into the Windows Media on Macs business when Microsoft stopped making the Windows Media Player for the Mac OS. Like QT, it makes it possible for you to watch movies for free but it has pro features that you can pay for that will help you produce media in its format. Quicktime only offers you one upgrade option (to QuickTime Pro), but Flip4Mac has 4 upgrade options that give you varying levels ($29—$179) of Windows Media production capabilities.

Anyway, with the combination of Movist, Perian and Flip4Mac, you should be able to view just about anything you want and be able to present it exactly as you like. If you also want to be able to convert or rip movies off of DVDs, there's a bunch of freeware apps that make that possible and enjoyable too. Just let me know and we'll figure some way to talk outside of this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chris:

Here's all the stuff you need to watch virtually any movie file on your Mac.

The best movie player is Movist. I've tried pretty much all the decent Mac movie players. I own QuickTime Pro ($29.99) and Chroma ($22), and I've tested all of the following free ones and a few more that I've forgetten: MPlayer (once good, now not), MPlayer OSX Extended (very good), NicePlayer (good), QTAmateur (OK), and of course VLC (plays everything, but not aesthetically nice). But by FAR the best one has proven to be the freeware Movist (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/27642/movist). It plays everything, even Matroska files (.mkv, which is a great new movie container format, but it's not yet supported on a lot of platforms). One of Movist's biggest strengths is subtitles/captions — it supports .smi and .srt file formats, and it's very customizable. In fact, it's extraordinary customizability is probably its biggest strength. You can make it do pretty much whatever you want.

In addition to a great movie player, you really must get the super fabulous freeware Perian, which is a QuickTime plugin that expands your Mac's video capabilities TENFOLD (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22923/perian). Normally your Mac will only play QuickTime media files, and it has difficulty with a lot of different subtitle filetypes. But Perian gives QT (and any other app that uses QT) the ability to easily play a whole bunch more filetypes, and it adds support for SSA subtitle files. The only major thing that Perian lacks is support for Windows Media files (.wma & .wmv). For that you need to get one more freeware app.

Flip4Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28842) is made by the company that moved into the Windows Media on Macs business when Microsoft stopped making the Windows Media Player for the Mac OS. Like QT, it makes it possible for you to watch movies for free but it has pro features that you can pay for that will help you produce media in its format. Quicktime only offers you one upgrade option (to QuickTime Pro), but Flip4Mac has 4 upgrade options that give you varying levels ($29—$179) of Windows Media production capabilities.

Anyway, with the combination of Movist, Perian and Flip4Mac, you should be able to view just about anything you want and be able to present it exactly as you like. If you also want to be able to convert or rip movies off of DVDs, there's a bunch of freeware apps that make that possible and enjoyable too. Just let me know and we'll figure some way to talk outside of this forum.

Good tips, Scree. Nice work. !

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to be able to do one thing: export files that are now mp4 or MOV to being WMV files (so people can have a choice of watching in Quicktime or Windows Media). I have Quicktime Pro already; I bought it solely for this reason. Do I now HAVE to buy a non-freeware version of Flip4Mac, since the demo version will cut off any file exported as wmv at thirty seconds? Or is there any alternative? I feel really ripped off that I went and bought Quicktime Pro for just one purpose and now I have to buy another upgrade as well just to do the one thing I want to be able to do. Please help! If there is any way to export mp4 or MOV files to wmv files without having to purchase some iteration of Flip4Mac, please do let me know. Thanks.

--Brandon

I agree with Cave Man:

Plex is by far the best media player for HD content and I personally think Plex has the best ten foot interface on any Mac (sorry Frontrow).

What makes Plex so awesome is that it uses multicore decoding to tear through HD video unlike VLC. I am able to watch 30GB m2ts files taken straight from 1080p Blu Rays on my Plexbox without any issues.

Mplayer Extended takes the cake as the second best media player in its current form:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/MP...-Extended.shtml

It too features checkbox multicore decoding unlike VLC so its able to handle HD video. Also I much prefer its interface to VLC.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I checked out Movist and I may like this more than VLC. I love the fullscreen interface and media browser.

VLC is nice cause it plays everything I throw at it, but I don't like it's media management, randomizer, or the lame boring unskinable interface.

• 8 months later...

I can't understand why people can even consider Plex? Maybe they didn't try alternatives? Or did they ever try to play 1080p? It's SOOOO sloooow. And so uncomfortable with all those shines and glares instead of the real interface...

I can only agree with Scree - I tried almost all of the players from his list and Movist is the best! It handles 1080p even where VLC dies. I have 30GB and 15GB mkv movies which beat players to death. Movist is the only one which plays them very fast. It's light and has MacOS look and feel and it's the fastest out there for Mac OS!