ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS hackintosh guide

108 posts in this topic

Sed8ed,

did you updated to 10.5.7 ?

delta update or ?

any thing to worry about?

I´m trying to do a retail install here, but I´m getting pissed.

I'm having ASUS P5kpl-cm. It works seamlessly with 10.5.6. And. I just upgraded it to 10.5.7 w/o any problems. :P The only problem I'm having is.... it can't be restart by itself, especially after the softare upgrade downloading. Any idea? :angel:

I have ideneb 10.5.4 here, can I upgrade ? all at once or to 10.5.5 first and so on?

You could try using the Combo updater for 10.5.7 first. That will patch you right up to date....

Make an image of your install first incase you break it....If it does break you can try incremental updates one at a time. So far I've had no issues with two hackintosh boxes updating from 10.5.4 to 10.5.7......

Got the P5KPL-AM/PS with Q8200 (oc 2.8 with stock fan) and 7200GS. Installed 10.5.6 retail DVD via Boot-132. Afterwards, updated to 10.5.7 via Software update. Realtek Lan works ootb, audio had to be patched (have line out now but have to use a USB phone to have audio in working). PS2 mouse and keyboard not working so used USB instead. Very stable hackintosh running 24/7 on my seedbox. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with this set up:

ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Pentium Dual Core E5200

2 GB Corsair XMS2 6400

320 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue(SATA)

SAMSUNG DVD-RW (SATA)

512mb XFX Geforce 9400GT (PCI-E)

It installs fine, It then boots up with the white apple screen. After that, I just get a black screen.

I have tried it with and without the nvDarwin 512mb kext.

Also tried with -v. I get no errors, just goes to a black screen.

anybody have any idea's why its not playing ball?

edit:

found out it works with the d-sub connector just fine. not got the dvi to work yet

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post on my successes following this tutorial. Purchased the P5KPL-AM/PS after reading and have had very positive results. I have a pretty standard setup with a geforce 8500 gt (silent) running from dvi -> HDMI.

Originally installed ideneb 10.5.6 with the vodoo kernel and iousbfamily kext (to resolve shutdown / standby issues). Everything worked out of the box including audio using the AppleAzalia kext i believe. Only the output was working (as many have mentioned) via this kext. Also updated to 10.5.7 via the patch released by ideneb.

I liked this build for a long time but did decide recently to try iAtkos7 which is 10.5.7 out of the box and allows for updates to the system via the apple update utility (just like the boot132 methods). This is working even faster than ideneb and I'm running everything vanilla now. The nice thing is it also has the new vodoo audio which works out of the box and appears to have input and possibly even spdif working (although I have not test either). I used the most recent video injector in the list (can't remember which but it was the first on the list) and it is working better than ever. Only real patch I had to run is the OHR (openhaltrestart.kext) to fix the shutdown/restart bug.

Also running Chameleon 2RC1 with XP as well. Really slick interface and I have to say this is a great way to go. I recommend updating the bios of this board to the latest as it had an overly blinky cursor that was driving me crazy. Anyway that is my short novel for the day. Hope it helps! Thanks for the original tutorial as it has paved the way for some great hackintosh machines for me.

P.S. Also did ideneb on a P5KPL-CM with good results. The lan did not work and I could not get it to work but a pciexpress NIC did as well as any wireless usb solution.

P.S.S. I just ordered the SPDIF addon for Asus motherboards on Ebay for $20. I will report how/if it works once I receive it.

• 3 weeks later...

hrmm still no luck with audio in capabilities?

i've had a play around with a few HDA kexts but no luck for audio. Best seems to be the VoodooHDA kext 0.21 - i can hear my guitar thru the speakers when plugged into the computer but the input level meter doesn't work.

hello Jan Su, i've got a similar problem like you,...

i try install ideneb v1.4 10.5.7 on asus p5 kpl am se but installer keeps in the "apple screen",

you try to install IPC and what the result?? is that works??

to everyone: what should i do if i still install ideneb??

i'm sorry if my english so bad..

thanks...

Hey I want to ask... wich distro works better for the Asus p5kpl-am se Mobo because Im going to buy that board and I have iDeneb 1.4, another question wich of the asus boards is better and cheap for a hackintosh?? cause Im kinda short of money and well I dont want to have a bad paid job anymore xD

japogii...

i was install ideneb 10.5.7 on my asus p5kpl am se, but after all installation complete and success, i got a black screen after reboot and it's reboot and reboot again...

my pc spec:

asus p5kpl-am se

p4 LGA 775 3,06 Ghz, FSB 533

OCZ 2gb PC6400

Nvidia GF 9500GT 512mb DDR3 128bit

WDC 320 Gb SATA

Lite-on DVD RW SATA

on customise installation, i check on ideneb essensial system, acpi sse2 fix, vanilla kernel, voodoo power, apple azalia audio kexts, nvdarwin 512, realtek ethernet 8168, ichx fix.

any idea??

thanks...

Hi everybody,

I've bought a new computer with an ASUS motherboard, ASUS P5KPL-AM SE similar to P5KPL-AM/PS (but it isn't the same, I know) and I want to convert it on a Hackintosh Computer.

My Hardware configuration is:

MB: ASUS P5KPL-AM SE (audio and graphics integrated on main board)
  CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,8 GHz
 RAM: 2 GiB DDR2 1066
  HD: Gigabyte 300 GiB SATA-2
  DVD: LG DVD-ROM, IDE
  DVD-RW: Samsung DVD+-RW, SATA-2
  Mouse: my old USB mouse
  Keyboard: my old PS/2 keyboard (yes, yes, I know it can be a problem. I have to buy another one)

I've tried to adjust my BIOS settings according to your guide:

[b]Storage Configuration
 ATA/IDE Config: Enhanced
 Enhanced Mode Support On: S-ATA
 PCIPnP -> Plug and Play O/S: yes
 Power:
Suspend Mode: S3 Only
ACPI 2.0 Support: Enabled
ACPI APIC suppord: Enabled
APMConfigruation:
   -Restore on AC Power Loss: Power Off

Now I'm triying to install iDeneb v1.3 and v1.4 and iAtkos 5i and Kalyway, but the installer doesn't start. It keeps in the "Apple screen" or, if was in verbose mode (-v):

MAC Framework succesfully initialized
		 Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IObuffer headers
		 IOAPIC: Version 0x20 verctors 0:23
		 ACPI: Syste Stack [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
		 Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate  dependecies on both com.apple.kernel and con.apple.kpi components; use  only one style

I've tried with -v -F, but it din't work. I get 3 more lines, but it stopped:

mbinit: done
		 Security auditing service present
		 OBSM auditing present

Does anyone have any idea? Can anyone of you help me, please? All feedback is appreciated.

Tank you very much in advance

Hi, Jan Su. A little Question... How did you burn your dvd? I've got the same mobo, and installs with Kally and iDeneb 1.4 like charm. Try burning with Apple Disc Utility

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I was searching in google if the asus p5kpl-am se moBo works with the new snow leopard and I never found anything so has anyone else have tried it?

I wanted to ask does that board works the ethernet? because i dont want to spend so much and i saw the patch but it was for another board so if anyone could help me I woulod really apreciatte it!

Ohh yeah! Sorry If I wrote something wrong because my english is somehow bad xD

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

I was searching in google if the asus p5kpl-am se moBo works with the new snow leopard and I never found anything so has anyone else have tried it?

I wanted to ask does that board works the ethernet? because i dont want to spend so much and i saw the patch but it was for another board so if anyone could help me I woulod really apreciatte it!

Ohh yeah! Sorry If I wrote something wrong because my english is somehow bad xD

I havent tried it yet, as my current machine is basically problem free I'm not rushing out to break it. Given the fact that not everything worked on my actual Macbook 13" unibody and '09 Mini after the update I am cautious rushing out to get it going on my P5KPL-AM-PS board....

I will wait for a well compiled X86 release from a well known source before I attempt a retail DVD install.....

I basically want the ease of setup on my PC as It is on my Mac the majority of the time, i dont want to hunt down Kernel Panics and what not any more........the odd kext to fix is no drama these days, but the late nights fixing my Hackintosh have been a long memory since I built this machine, dont fix whats not broken.

10.5.8 is still all go here.......

I´m with Sed8ed.

I had a little trouble when I updated from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 with ideneb. It was the system profile. But now, With the ideneb 10.5.8 I got perfect install. Everything OK, with speedstep working. I´m just observing my power supply. Last time with the speedstep the speed of the fan raised significantly. But, I did NOT heard anything good enough of snow leopard yet that made me wants to move for it. So I´m stick with 10.5.8 until something shows up.

for the users having problems with the P5KPL-AM SE, I bought one and spent most of my last week free time trying to get Leopard to work

Had many problems, and all of my installs ended with a kernel panic or the spinning wheel of death when trying to boot

I've finally got it working with iDeneb 1.5 : ICHx Fix, vanilla kernel, apple azalia audio, Realtek R1000. None of the APIC stuff

Conclusion: make sure your partition is a GPT. I was trying the whole time with MBR (never had problems with others hacks before) so I could get OsX + Win.

Ho to all.,

Yesterday I accidentally updated my iDeneb Hackintosh to 10.5.8 (it was working on 10.5.6)

What happened is that my onboard Raltek 8139 stopped working but on a strange way... It appears as 'Cable Unplugged", and can't maje it work...

Anybody had the same problem?

All the other things are working great, (video, Audio, usb, keb, mouse...)

Thanks to everyone,

Just wanted to post on my successes following this tutorial. Purchased the P5KPL-AM/PS after reading and have had very positive results. I have a pretty standard setup with a geforce 8500 gt (silent) running from dvi -> HDMI.

Originally installed ideneb 10.5.6 with the vodoo kernel and iousbfamily kext (to resolve shutdown / standby issues). Everything worked out of the box including audio using the AppleAzalia kext i believe. Only the output was working (as many have mentioned) via this kext. Also updated to 10.5.7 via the patch released by ideneb.

I liked this build for a long time but did decide recently to try iAtkos7 which is 10.5.7 out of the box and allows for updates to the system via the apple update utility (just like the boot132 methods). This is working even faster than ideneb and I'm running everything vanilla now. The nice thing is it also has the new vodoo audio which works out of the box and appears to have input and possibly even spdif working (although I have not test either). I used the most recent video injector in the list (can't remember which but it was the first on the list) and it is working better than ever. Only real patch I had to run is the OHR (openhaltrestart.kext) to fix the shutdown/restart bug.

Also running Chameleon 2RC1 with XP as well. Really slick interface and I have to say this is a great way to go. I recommend updating the bios of this board to the latest as it had an overly blinky cursor that was driving me crazy. Anyway that is my short novel for the day. Hope it helps! Thanks for the original tutorial as it has paved the way for some great hackintosh machines for me.

P.S. Also did ideneb on a P5KPL-CM with good results. The lan did not work and I could not get it to work but a pciexpress NIC did as well as any wireless usb solution.

P.S.S. I just ordered the SPDIF addon for Asus motherboards on Ebay for $20. I will report how/if it works once I receive it.

Very cool! I have an Ideneb install and all works perfect except audio input (and I really want to use audio input to make some songs). Have you tested audio input? If you say it works, I'll try to install it this weekend. Thank you!! :)

Hi, i've got a P5kpl-am recently and i was thinking about installing the Hackintosh on it.

My specs are:

Processor: Core 2 Quad 8200

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Hard Drive: 320 GB Samsumg (SATA)

320 GB Samsumg (SATA)

DVD Drive: Samsumg (SATA)

RAM: 2 GB Kingston 800mhz DDR2

Graphics Card: 9500GT 512mb PCI-E

Almost the same from the first post. Well, i'm thinking about installing the iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) on one of my HDD, and let the other with my Windows Seven. Can i do that? I just have to follow the guide of the Kalyway and use the advanced tboot c:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"? This will let me choose wich HDD shoul boot, or i will have to change the bios every time?

Thaks a lot, i'm really enjoying this forum.

• 1 month later...

first of all, thankx for your help here.

I had tried to install a iPC version, but no good...it stops on the Apple screen. While on the verbose mode, sometimes it appears "waiting for boot volume" (or something like that), sometimes its other thing.

I will try your tutorial, because my Mobo is the same. Here is my specs:

DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo, E7400 @2800 MHz

mobo Asus P5KPL-AM-CKD-VISUM-SI

graphic card - Intel Bearlake G31/G33

4gb RAM

I saw you telling to do this:

to customize the install

ICHX support (because this P5KPL-AM/PS is a G31/ICH7 chipset)

nvDarwin 512 mb (for the 9600GT videocard)

How I do that? I don't need the 9600 thing, but the ICHX support I need for sure.

Any help here?

Hello guys.

I have a P5KPL-AM and I can't install this. You can look my problem on thsi topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178968

Anyway, the reason why I came here is to tell everyone that, in Brazil, sometimes we may get a P5KPL-AM/BR (P5KPL-AM-CKD-VISUM), not a "real" P5KPL-AM (US version, etc..). This "/BR" version won't even install OSX. I don't have any idea. If someone knows how to fix this problem, please tell me.

For brazilians: if you bought a P5KPL-AM, check with Asus Update if yours is a /BR or not. You can check the serial number too: if there's a "BM" there, I guess it's a brazilian version (BM = brazilian manufactured). Oh {censored}. :(

• 1 month later...

Hi All:

I am a noob to the Hackintosh thing. couple of weeks ago i picked up a Q6700 and a asus P5KPL-AM board

1 stick of 2gb pc6400 simm and a asus 8400gs video card. I follow japogiii guide, spent 7 or 8 nights,

and i got myself a dual boot ideneb 1.4 machine. everything seemed to work except I have no luck trying to play DVD movie. DVD player refuse to load up. DVD drive (sata), reads and install the os.

my question is, is this a DVD firmware issue or is it a problem that is common??

btw, i also did a clean install with no XP loaded using ideneb 1.4, works well except again

for the DVD player issue.

i used the AzaliaAudio.pkg for sound, RTGMac_v2.0.3 from the realtek downloads for network

NVdarwin256 video driver patch within ideneb 1.4. also had to use a couple of patches with

the word POWER in it to shutdown and sleep properly.

1 also tried ipc 10.5.6, using the same set of drivers. came out also with good result.

again though no DVD player. with the ipc, the system profiler cannot determine my setup. a minor issue.

anyway, the drive is "LG Super Multi DVD writer GH22NS50".

any pointers is appreciated.

Hello. This is japogiii, and this is my first post here.

This is my guide into getting a PERFECT HACKINTOSH working on an ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard. (G31+ICH7 chipset)

PERFECT HACKINTOSH means that everything works, including USB, sound, video with QE/CI enabled, sleep, restart, and shutdown.

I have spent almost three days without sleep trying to get this thing to work, and the final result is that it works just as Steve Jobs would have intended.

Here are the important parts which I used for this computer:

Processor: Pentium Dual Core e5200 (2 cores @ 2.5 ghz each)

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Hard Drive: 80 GB Samsung (IDE)

500 GB Seagate (SATA)

DVD Drive: LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter 22x (SATA)

RAM: 2 GB Kingston Value Ram 800mhz DDR2

Graphics Card: Sparkle 9600GT 512mb PCI-E

Install method is through iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6)

BIOS Settings

Here are the BIOS settings I used for the P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard. BIOS settings are important to get full sleep, shutdown and restart working.

Primary IDE Master: 80 GB Samsung

SATA: 500 GB Seagate

SATA2: LG DVD

ATA/IDE Config: Enhanced

Enhanced Mode Support On: S-ATA

Onboard PCIE GbE LAN: Disabled

(I disabled the onboard LAN because I use a Netgear Wireless USB anyway.)

Plug and Play O/S: Yes

Suspend Mode: S3 Only

ACPI 2.0 Support: Enabled

Restore on AC Power Loss: Power Off

Boot Device Priority

1st: HDD Samsung

2nd: DVD LG

Partitioning the Drive and Dualbooting with XP

Refer to this guide

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...DualBoot_10.5.2

BUT INSTEAD of Kalyway 10.5.2,

substitute it with iDeneb v1.4.

You know where to find it. ;)

Customize the installation, and check these boxes for this particular setup:

ICHX support (because this P5KPL-AM/PS is a G31/ICH7 chipset)

nvDarwin 512 mb (for the 9600GT videocard)

I didn't check anything for sound, because this is going to be patched later on.

Install. Then it will reboot. Follow the rest of the instructions on

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...DualBoot_10.5.2

for bootloading.

If you did everything correctly, boot into the OS X partition and you should see the welcome video. (Nice, eh. QE/CI enabled already) but no sound.

Get the sound drivers here, and install:

http://www.kexts.com/index.php?controller=...ext=5&kid=7

Last, go to system preferences -> energy saver.

Under options, check "Allow power button to sleep the computer."

Also check "Restart automatically after a power failure."

And there you go. A fully working, 10.5.6 OS X Leopard on your HACKINTOSH.

Enjoy. :D

Please comment if you encounter any problems, or if this guide has helped you in any way.

japogiii.

I havent tried it yet, as my current machine is basically problem free I'm not rushing out to break it. Given the fact that not everything worked on my actual Macbook 13" unibody and '09 Mini after the update I am cautious rushing out to get it going on my P5KPL-AM-PS board....

I will wait for a well compiled X86 release from a well known source before I attempt a retail DVD install.....

I basically want the ease of setup on my PC as It is on my Mac the majority of the time, i dont want to hunt down Kernel Panics and what not any more........the odd kext to fix is no drama these days, but the late nights fixing my Hackintosh have been a long memory since I built this machine, dont fix whats not broken.

10.5.8 is still all go here.......

Well. I'm about to try Snow Leopard on this machine. As it stands, I have recently installed Snow on a P5Q-E Motherboard and all has gone pretty well. I have sound, full Graphics (9600GT Silent via EFI strings) and everything basically works, I used a retail disk install along with Chameleon RC3. Was very straight forward.

Now I'll attempt Snow on the Asus P5KPL-AM/PS. I'll post here with my findings.

you need to buy a video card, a cheap nvidia 8400 gs. the onboard video stops osx installation.

Hello guys.

I have a P5KPL-AM and I can't install this. You can look my problem on thsi topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178968

Anyway, the reason why I came here is to tell everyone that, in Brazil, sometimes we may get a P5KPL-AM/BR (P5KPL-AM-CKD-VISUM), not a "real" P5KPL-AM (US version, etc..). This "/BR" version won't even install OSX. I don't have any idea. If someone knows how to fix this problem, please tell me.

For brazilians: if you bought a P5KPL-AM, check with Asus Update if yours is a /BR or not. You can check the serial number too: if there's a "BM" there, I guess it's a brazilian version (BM = brazilian manufactured). Oh {censored}. :P