KextSpy

92 posts in this topic

Homepage:

http://######.com/weaksauce12/?p=1024

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fwinmnyhibz/KextSpy.ip

Description:

Click on KextSpy and it launches a TextEdit window containing a list of all of the currently-loaded kexts in your system, as well as the version numbers and some other info. From there you can view the list and save it if you want. Cheers :)

Or open console and write kextstat....... i don´t see the point of this.

Maybe the goal is to make the people so stupid that they will not know even where is the console?

Why use Kext Helper? Or Uinstaller? Or any other app? Hint: the answer is "convenience" ;)

Not everyone wants to be a technical user who spends their evenings memorizing the man pages - most people here just want a working Hackintosh system to do other things with; this is a simple 1-click tool to help them do that.

Why use Kext Helper? Or Uinstaller? Or any other app? Hint: the answer is "convenience" :D

Not everyone wants to be a technical user who spends their evenings memorizing the man pages - most people here just want a working Hackintosh system to do other things with; this is a simple 1-click tool to help them do that.

Memorizing man pages? If you used the command a couple of times (or when needed) then you'll automatically have it memorized (you know, like your multiplying tables).

What you call a "convenience" is what keeps people from actually learning to use and understanding an operating system and eventually leads to things done "à la Microsoft".

Using the terminal is fairly easy and the commands required for the basic tasks are very few, so there is no reason not to learn to use it, IMO.

Cheers,

hecker

Or open terminal and write kextstat....... i don´t see the point of this.

Maybe the goal is to make the people so stupid that they will not know even where is the terminal?

+1

Then again, I am biased against pcwiz and his cronies, mainly for half baked attempts to make things more "convenient".

As well, if it pleases the peanut gallery, I have included a wonderful map of OSx86 tools, because gui wrappers may be nice, but actually learning commands is better (greets to stroke).

post-235414-1238674399_thumb.png

...I have included a wonderful map of OSx86 tools, because gui wrappers may be nice, but actually learning commands is better (greets to stroke).

Great&usefull pic. :D

+1

Then again, I am biased against pcwiz and his cronies, mainly for half baked attempts to make things more "convenient".

As well, if it pleases the peanut gallery, I have included a wonderful map of OSx86 tools, because gui wrappers may be nice, but actually learning commands is better (greets to stroke).

Cronies? Really? :P

Useful pic, thanks!

I have to say, I'm all for convenience. I have a folder full of tiny little apps that I can launch based on whatever task I'm doing. If I wanted command-line, I'd still be using DOS :)

I believe you can also see what kexts are loaded in the system profiler.

Ideally I'd like the app idea that was mentioned earlier - show only modified & non-standard kexts. But then we'd need a full catalog of existing kexts and version numbers, so I'd imagine that'd be a bit of a project to go through and document them all, especially since each system would have a slightly different list of loaded kexts. But that'd sure be handy for dev work :)

Cronies? Really? :P

Useful pic, thanks!

I have to say, I'm all for convenience. I have a folder full of tiny little apps that I can launch based on whatever task I'm doing. If I wanted command-line, I'd still be using DOS ;)

First, more of a joking term than anything (I suppose crew would have made more sense).

Second, no worries, sometimes a peek under the hood can be fun ;)

Third, why not use cli? The apps don't really make it more convenient, so much as less of a pain in the neck insofar as a learning curve. Different strokes for different folks I guess :P

First, more of a joking term than anything (I suppose crew would have made more sense).

Second, no worries, sometimes a peek under the hood can be fun :(

Third, why not use cli? The apps don't really make it more convenient, so much as less of a pain in the neck insofar as a learning curve. Different strokes for different folks I guess :P

For me, I'm more on the hardware side and the guide-writing side, than on the development side. Once you get past "ls" and "clear" my eyes start glazing over. I need all the help I can get :D

I don't think osx86 is meant for you or anyone who finds this tool useful.

Kindly get the {censored} out.

Wow dude. Was this really you?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1101246

Because...you're kind of being a huge jerk. It's a simple script. Get over yourself. :D So you don't find it useful. Maybe it's not useful. Maybe I shouldn't have posted it! At least I'm trying, dude. If you really feel the need to assert your elite programming skills and tell everyone how cool you are because you know how to use Terminal like a pro and can even tie your own shoes, maybe it's YOU who doesn't need OSx86.

Why don't you become a real programmer and get a real Mac? I could use endless arguments like this against you if you want to play this game. I guess it's pretty easy to put people down when you're full of yourself...personally I like this community and the people here, and I'm learning and growing like everyone else, and I don't really appreciate your crappy attitude here. We have a lot of really great contributors and I'm trying to dip my toes in, but obviously you only think that InsanelyMac is for special people like yourself.

So, kindly leave your attitude at the door - it's not welcome.

I can use Terminal like a pro and I can tie my shows.

I don't need OSx86, I have a real mac — a Mac Pro (sysinfo: MacPro -- CPU: Intel Xeon E5462 2.80GHz @ 2.8GHz [sSE3/PAE/XD/EM64T/VMX/EST/QuadCore] L2 Cache: 6144K FSB: 400MHz RAM: 1.3GB/10.0GB Virtual: 0.00M/64.00M Disk: 201.58GB/502.5GB Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [512 MB/QE/Stock] 1920x1200@60Hz OS: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) Kernel: Darwin 9.6.0 Build: i386 Build Date: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008)

I do have elite programming skills & I am a real programmer.

InsanelyMac used to be for special people like myself.

My attitude is welcome to stay here as long as I see fit, and as long as people like you and pcwiz stick around then it is very fitting.

I can use Terminal like a pro and I can tie my shows.

I don't need OSx86, I have a real mac — a Mac Pro (sysinfo: MacPro -- CPU: Intel Xeon E5462 2.80GHz @ 2.8GHz [sSE3/PAE/XD/EM64T/VMX/EST/QuadCore] L2 Cache: 6144K FSB: 400MHz RAM: 1.3GB/10.0GB Virtual: 0.00M/64.00M Disk: 201.58GB/502.5GB Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [512 MB/QE/Stock] 1920x1200@60Hz OS: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) Kernel: Darwin 9.6.0 Build: i386 Build Date: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008)

I do have elite programming skills & I am a real programmer.

InsanelyMac used to be for special people like myself.

My attitude is welcome to stay here as long as I see fit, and as long as people like you and pcwiz stick around then it is very fitting.

I've got you pegged and you're squirming :D

Thank you for justifying my earlier response. Have a nice day!