HD4830 Support?

NorthernNether

44 posts in this topic

Which version of the card do you have? It seems all of us that have it working have the 2xDVI, 1xS-Video version, with the monitor plugged into the DVI port furthest from the mobo, and a DVI-VGA adapter in the other.

Powercolor. 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 1 x DVI

I too have a 4830 with 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, 1xDVI. I installed the driver above, but Natit caused a black screen on reboot.

I tried to manually add the Device ID (0x944C1002) into ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist but that plist appears to be empty... Any ideas?

BTW, is there anyway to recover form the screen going black after fiddling with the driver settings? Can you boot without loading files and back that out? I had just installed the first time, so I just reinstalled. Seems like a waste.

I may just need to live without full support for now... Thanks for all your help.

I too have a 1x HDMI, 1xDVI, 1x VGA card. Mine's a Sapphire, and i was really excited about it but i forgot to check osx86 compatibility before ordering it. I installed the new 10.5.6 48x0 pkg and the Natit kext, but no dice here. I tried every configuration of vga/dvi/hdmi plugs, but nothing worked. If I can do anything to help in figuring out the 4830, i'll be happy to assist any way i can. until then, it's back to the 8600gt...

When you're at the boot loader screen, type -x in the boot options to boot into safe mode. Adding the Device ID does nothing but give black screens for everyone with a 4830 so I'd recommend not adding it. Do you have a DVI->VGA adapter? If so, try putting that (without a cable attached) onto your DVI port and hook the VGA port up to your monitor. That's the closest setup to what us dual-DVI users are doing (DVI->VGA adapter on one port, DVI cable on the other). Having the adapter attached is necessary for me (even though nothing is attached) so please try that.

I too have a 4830 with 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, 1xDVI. I installed the driver above, but Natit caused a black screen on reboot.

I tried to manually add the Device ID (0x944C1002) into ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist but that plist appears to be empty... Any ideas?

BTW, is there anyway to recover form the screen going black after fiddling with the driver settings? Can you boot without loading files and back that out? I had just installed the first time, so I just reinstalled. Seems like a waste.

I may just need to live without full support for now... Thanks for all your help.

When you're at the boot loader screen, type -x in the boot options to boot into safe mode. Adding the Device ID does nothing but give black screens for everyone with a 4830 so I'd recommend not adding it. Do you have a DVI->VGA adapter? If so, try putting that (without a cable attached) onto your DVI port and hook the VGA port up to your monitor. That's the closest setup to what us dual-DVI users are doing (DVI->VGA adapter on one port, DVI cable on the other). Having the adapter attached is necessary for me (even though nothing is attached) so please try that.

Thanks for the info. I'll skip the Device ID. I added the DVI->VGA adapter, but the card is still not recognized even with the driver package installed. I can get a fine picture and set the resolution using the Universal OSx86 Installer. I'll keep hoping for a driver update.

Maybe with 10.5.7!?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Success!

16jr0oi.jpg

ATIRadeonX2000 Kexts

Natit Kext

I installed the files linked above on top of the original MacOSX_10.5.6_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg and now have full QE/CI!

The only issue is screen bouncing as noted by the initial 4850 reports due to improper memory clocks. I'm used to RBE so I'm going to modify the memory clocks to be the same across the board and hopefully that solves it.

[EDIT]

Flashing to the same clocks did the trick...

Here's the Xbench scores for my 4830 @ 700/1075

4rvnm8.png

glad to hear that things are moving forward. tried that new x2000.kext that ScrotumC provided, but i've had no luck getting anything on my sapphire hdmi/dvi/vga card. boots to black screen everytime, regardless of output. any ideas welcome

glad to hear that things are moving forward. tried that new x2000.kext that ScrotumC provided, but i've had no luck getting anything on my sapphire hdmi/dvi/vga card. boots to black screen everytime, regardless of output. any ideas welcome

you still need patched motmot framebuffer in other thread, just connect your dvi display to dvi port, no dvi2vga dongle need anymore

reinstalled all the kexts and then re-added the motmot kext, but still no luck on the DVI/HDMI/VGA model here. with all the progress everyone is making, i know it's getting close, but it looks like these 3-output cards might be a little trickier to figure out

you still need patched motmot framebuffer in other thread, just connect your dvi display to dvi port, no dvi2vga dongle need anymore

Hey Guys,

I've got a PowerColor 4830 with VGA, HDMI and DVI. I tried ScrotumC's version with his kexts and so on, but I only get a black screen when I enter the desktop. So where can i download this motmot and what is it? I would love to see my 4830 working :)

I've got iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5, because v1.4 didn't work for me. The display is connected via DVI, means DVI to DVI without any dongle between it. Any ideas what I can try? Thanks a lot!

Edit: Okay I successfully upgraded to 10.5.6 but as soon as I install the Natit.kext (with kext helper 7) I get a black screen no matter if VGA or DVI :) The hd48x0 driver package doesn't change anything :) Any ideas?

Hey Guys,

I've got a PowerColor 4830 with VGA, HDMI and DVI. I tried ScrotumC's version with his kexts and so on, but I only get a black screen when I enter the desktop. So where can i download this motmot and what is it? I would love to see my 4830 working :(

I've got iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5, because v1.4 didn't work for me. The display is connected via DVI, means DVI to DVI without any dongle between it. Any ideas what I can try? Thanks a lot!

Edit: Okay I successfully upgraded to 10.5.6 but as soon as I install the Natit.kext (with kext helper 7) I get a black screen no matter if VGA or DVI :) The hd48x0 driver package doesn't change anything :( Any ideas?

I has same question

i tried all method not work for me

Hey Guys,

I've got a PowerColor 4830 with VGA, HDMI and DVI. I tried ScrotumC's version with his kexts and so on, but I only get a black screen when I enter the desktop. So where can i download this motmot and what is it? I would love to see my 4830 working :)

Edit: Okay I successfully upgraded to 10.5.6 but as soon as I install the Natit.kext (with kext helper 7) I get a black screen no matter if VGA or DVI :) The hd48x0 driver package doesn't change anything :yoji: Any ideas?

Make that 3...however, I can't get -x to work at boot. Still black screen. Is there a way to uninstall these modifications...so I can at least get back to VESA display mode?

Another hopeful 4830 owner here, Sapphire model with VGA/HDMI/DVI. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this little booger to work, but all I get is a blue screen or a black screen depending on whether or not motmot is installed. Looks like we might have to wait for 10.5.7. Please tell me that someone has figured this one out at this point and has a way to make it work...

I own a Sapphire 4830 dual dvi with S video and I get a kernel panic with the above files. This is the last thing i need for my set up to run perfectly. I have been working on it all day, hopefully we can figure out a fix.

disregard my last post. I can't get it to work... Either blue screen, if I boot with -f or a black screen with -v. If i dont push anything and let it boot, it crashes during apple boot logo, with the grayed out screen telling me i need to restart....

If i boot in safe mode, it loads into GUI with my native resolution 1680x1050...

disregard my last post. I can't get it to work... Either blue screen, if I boot with -f or a black screen with -v. If i dont push anything and let it boot, it crashes during apple boot logo, with the grayed out screen telling me i need to restart....

If i boot in safe mode, it loads into GUI with my native resolution 1680x1050...

The exact same thing happens to me it is very frustrating. Has anyone else got it to work without flashing it to a 4850?

Success!

16jr0oi.jpg

ATIRadeonX2000 Kexts

Natit Kext

I installed the files linked above on top of the original MacOSX_10.5.6_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg and now have full QE/CI!

The only issue is screen bouncing as noted by the initial 4850 reports due to improper memory clocks. I'm used to RBE so I'm going to modify the memory clocks to be the same across the board and hopefully that solves it.

[EDIT]

Flashing to the same clocks did the trick...

Here's the Xbench scores for my 4830 @ 700/1075

4rvnm8.png

You obviously did something different to make it work. Can you share the install process with us? I have tried installing every possible way so far, googling and searching the forums non-stop... Please help!