HD4830 Support?

NorthernNether

44 posts in this topic

Now that the HD4850/4870 is supported by netkas's drivers from 10.5.7 beta, I was wondering if the 4830 will be supported any time soon. The GPU core is the same as far as I know, so I was wondering what's stopping the drivers from working on the 4830. It's a pretty popular card ATM because it's a less expensive variant of its big brother, but at this point I'm tempted to just upgrade to the HD4870.

Now that the HD4850/4870 is supported by netkas's drivers from 10.5.7 beta, I was wondering if the 4830 will be supported any time soon. The GPU core is the same as far as I know, so I was wondering what's stopping the drivers from working on the 4830. It's a pretty popular card ATM because it's a less expensive variant of its big brother, but at this point I'm tempted to just upgrade to the HD4870.

I'm waiting too !! ;)

I made the driver to start up by adding 0x944c1002 to ATIRedeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

The problem is I can not get the display on the right port as my card is HDMI+VGA+DVI config and does not have the second DVI port as those people using 4850 cards. Anyone with a 4830 can try and see if that works.

<br />I actually have a 4830 with two DVI ports so I could give it a try.<br />Where does the 0x944c1002 come from? How should I edit the Info.plist file?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This is the PCIID of the HD4830 card. It has to be in the "Info.plist" file for the system to try to load the correspondent driver. The simple way to change the file is to start a shell commandline, then "sudo vi /System/Library/Extentions/ATIRedeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist". Then use "/1002" to search for the long line that contains the PCIIDs of supported cards. There will be quite a few cards listed there as "0xXXXX1002". Just add "0x944c1002" to the line.

I've tried with an Asus 4830 (dual DVI port) with just about everything you could imagine...no dice

It used to boot to a completely black screen...now it seems to boot to a light blue screen (no mouse cursor) with the latest Natit

I wouldn't hold your breath if you're a 4830 owner...I wish I bought a 4850 instead.

Actually, after unplugging my vga cable (leaving the vga adapter still connected in one of the dvi ports) with the latest Natit I can boot with my card detected without Quartz Extreme...this lets me at least use the max resolution of my monitor unlike before. As soon as I add my Device ID into ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist I can't boot to the desktop.

I believe all you need to do is install the pkg with the 4800 drivers and then the latest Natit (Mar 1, 2009 I think?)...without modifying anything, my card is detected just without QE support. I have an Asus 4830 with a DVI->VGA adapter on the bottom DVI connector (closest to motherboard) and the second DVI connector connected to my Dell S2309W running 1920x1080 (native resolution, with the option to switch if needed...vs only 1024x768 from before)...hope this helps someone

I believe all you need to do is install the pkg with the 4800 drivers and then the latest Natit (Mar 1, 2009 I think?)...without modifying anything, my card is detected just without QE support. I have an Asus 4830 with a DVI->VGA adapter on the bottom DVI connector (closest to motherboard) and the second DVI connector connected to my Dell S2309W running 1920x1080 (native resolution, with the option to switch if needed...vs only 1024x768 from before)...hope this helps someone

For QE/CI support, did you check or tried to add your device ID 0x944C1002 in ATRadeonX2000.kext's plist ?

Yeah, from an earlier post -> "As soon as I add my Device ID into ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist I can't boot to the desktop. "

All I get is a kernel panic.

Let me know if there's anything else I should try...I'm running out of ideas

For QE/CI support, did you check or tried to add your device ID 0x944C1002 in ATRadeonX2000.kext's plist ?

Did you specify any special boot options ? like '-f' ?

Also, can you post links to the packages you installed ?

I tried installing the 48x0 package with the "Natit_with_4850_bios_inside.pkg" but I still can't get the 16:9 resolution

Yeah, from an earlier post -> "As soon as I add my Device ID into ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist I can't boot to the desktop. "

All I get is a kernel panic.

Let me know if there's anything else I should try...I'm running out of ideas

Did you specify any special boot options ? like '-f' ?

Also, can you post links to the packages you installed ?

I tried installing the 48x0 package with the "Natit_with_4850_bios_inside.pkg" but I still can't get the 16:9 resolution

1. MacOSX_10.5.6_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg -> http://is.gd/q5o0

2. Natit -> http://is.gd/li8r

I installed both of the above, rebuilt kext cache & set permissions. In my case, as long as I don't add my device id I get 16:9 max res no QE/CI.

-f and -v get me to a black screen with no activity

It workss !! Great work figuring this out, ScrotumC, thanks dude !!

It initially didn't work for me since my DVI->VGA connector was connected on the second port ( further from the MoBo) and the monitor on the first one. I switched the two and .. voila! 16:9 works with display manager showing all possible resolutions (as compared to earlier where I just saw 1400x1050) ! Great to leave the 4:3 world behind.

No QE but 16:9 is more than enough for now

awesome !

I installed both of the above, rebuilt kext cache & set permissions. In my case, as long as I don't add my device id I get 16:9 max res no QE/CI.

I installed the the package and replaced the kext in the extensions with the one provided, but I get black screen. I rebuilt the cache and it wont fix it. Any ideas? Or am I doing something wrong?

Mine only works when there is something plugged into both DVI slots. No idea why - but if I unplug either, it stops working. Even a dvi2vga adapter in one and a monitor in the other allows it to work.

Weird, I must admit

I did what you said, but after the Apple Logo on boot, I get like a flash of a blue screen, like for a milisecond, and then a black screen. I've tried waiting for 10mins.. 30 mins.. but nothing. Any ideas? I have the HD 4830 Radeon card too. Running iATKOS 10.5.5.

I had to reinstall Mac after because I couldn't get in..