26 replies to this topic

lemarqq

lemarqq

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Can i get some help,please ?
I wanna enable " use sub-pixel hinting " but i can't check it.
How could i fix that ?
And by the way : if i wanna install some programs,do i have to use the synaptic package manager ?
For example,i wanna install wine or wine doors.
I open synaptic package manager,and select it from there ?
Please help me,i'm a n00b.
Thanks in advance.

kuru

kuru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I don't know about the sub-pixel hinting thing. In fact I've never seen that setting before.

Synaptic is definitely the way to install software. Generally if there is a linux app you want to try, use the search in synaptic and it's usally there. Sometimes it's an older version but it will be stable. If there are other dependencies it will notify you and install them as well.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

I am reviving this very old topic because recently PCLinuxOS has badly disappointed me.

My main complaint is that they are insisting on using GRUB 1.

GRUB 1 can't manage modern hardware and complex configurations, at least not in my case, while I have zero problems with GRUB 2.

It is a shame, because the LiveCD is really nice.

There should be at least a choice. The only other choice is LILO. That is even worse than GRUB 1. LILO is a totally obsolete piece of software.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

I totally agree. I moaned about the very same thing in the *nix distributions poll in July 2012!

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

They just released. But until they replace GRUB legacy with GRUB 2 I am not going to touch it with a barge pole.

Sorry guys, this is not a rant, it is necessity.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Grub 2 still is having issues with UEFI unfortunately... Other than that, I think major distros need to go to Grub 2.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

Eventually Grub 2 has been made available, but only in principle. For some crazy reason it is not on the DVD, it must be downloaded!!! As if Grub were non free software, or as if they said: "do it at your own risk".

Trouble is, for the life of me I can't configure any internet connection on my PC, neither ethernet nor Wi-Fi (I use a D-link DWA-125). This while Mint automagically configures everything.

So I still have no use for PCLinuxOS, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy