Mail keychain password prompts

AndrewNZ

2 posts in this topic

But happy happy joy joy. :(

(If this fix has already been posted, then I would respectfully request a mod to just delete this thread. Thanks.)

The Guts.

On a second user account, Mail refused to send or get mail before a keychain dialog popped up, and it had to have the pop3 login password entered before continuing. This situation would arise each time the machine was booted into that account, and entering the pop3 password when the dialog demanded would sort it out for that session. But it was bloody annoying to have it happen when it wasn't an issue on the primary account. Clicking the "save to keychain" box didn't actually save it. *Snarrrrl*

;)

To cut a long, and deeply frustrating story shortish, I jumped through the hoops of manually editing the Mail account preferences, entering and saving the password whenever and wherever it was asked of me. And of course, nothing worked.

If this sounds eerily familiar, I completely empathise with your situation. :(

But fear not. Help is at hand.

The Fix

I fluked it. Not knowing what you're doing can be a blessing sometimes and here's what sorted it for me. First, I used the Accounts preferences pane to change the boot login password to the pop3 password for that account. Logged out and back in and, 'presto', Mail did its biz with no annoying dialogs demanding keychain passwords. Cool. Then I went back into the Accounts pane in System Preferences and changed the login password back to what it was previously.

Rebooted, and boot login was fine. And even better, Mail ran without that annoying dialog. :)

Pretty easy, huh? Yeah, when you know, but here's a funny thing - I couldn't find the fix anywhere on the web.

Spooky.

Hope that really simple fix helps others. :D

Cheers,

Andy.

• 1 month later...