FIXED - P5Q 10.5.6 Issue - Very Strange hang and even stranger fix

Searay_X

21 posts in this topic

FIXED - SEE BELOW

Ok - so here's the skinny.

I have a P5Q that I installed 10.5.6 Retail on using a single 1GB stick of DDR2 800 (clocked to 667 on accident during install) while waiting on my 4GB of DDR2 1066 to come in via Fed-EX.

I built a custom install DVD (only added an EFI loader to avoid DVD swapping, LAN, video EFI string to the Boot.plist, sound, disabler and dsmos) from a retail 10.5.4, installed and updated to 10.5.6 on a GUID partition with Vista on the same drive in a separate secondary partition.

Everything is working FLAWLESSLY - that is until my memory came in...

I installed the new memory and the boot hung at "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors... ". As a diagnostic procedure I booted Vista and all was well on that end.

After hours of BIOS tinkering I restored the last working profile and out of frustration I used a 10.5.6 retail (modified by yours truly with the same above), made a bootable 8GB flash drive and did a reinstall; it didn't work - hung at the same place.

I figured this was completely illogical being that the retail CD and flash drive would load the install environment and function properly so I loaded the 10.5.6 installer and, once again out of frustration, opened terminal and did the following;

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R *.kext /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/

cd /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/

rm -R Extensions.mkext

(OSX is my main drive)

I rebooted and all was well - it booted right up into OS X!

Please keep in mind that other than the added kext's, the DVD is STOCK!!!

After hours of use I decided to turn the machine off, took a break, turned it back on and the problem reoccurred so I had to repeat the process.

Bottom line is that if I simply reboot and load either OS X or Vista than all is well. I can reboot and hit the reset button with no issues but if I turn the machine off then on again it wont boot and I have to do the craziness above to boot again.

I have verified the files and NOTHING is obviously changing - not the Extensions directory, file sizes, BIOS settings, nothing! It is obviously a software issue but for the life of me I cant figure out what gives.

Does anyone have a clue what could be happening here?

I can repeat the issue on all 5 of the P5Q systems I have regardless of stock or modified bios!!!

Regards,

Searay

Something like that happens on my P5Q-E.

My 10.5.6 (iPC OSX86 final) install has vanilla ACPI and APIC kexts. ACPI 2.0 and extra APIC tables enabled in the BIOS.

Reboot works, but if the computer is shut down I can't boot into OSX again, it hangs at the IOAPIC message like yours.

Then I take my old JaS Client/Server 10.5.4 DVD and boot from it. As soon as it passes the IOAPIC message I press the reset button and then I can boot from my hard drive! A little bit easier than your fix but it's still annoying to have to do that.

I think this is the kind of thing that a really smart person probably could fix by editing the DSDT or SSDT tables. Way above my head though.

Please let me know if you get anywhere with this.

Your method gave me a few ideas on what to do here.

I forgot to mention that if I use a Boot 123 CD I can boot from "power off" as well

The fisrt thing I am going to try is the Munky method here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330 (thanks Munky).

If this works I will have a better idea as to whats happening :(

Munky's method is possibly a fix for the Asus boards experiencing this with certain memory.

I am also going to try various types of RAM - I will build a quasi HCL and post it here as time permits (being that my Crucial memory will boot the machine any time I am forced to assume there is a connection).

Thank you for sharing your issue/method.

Regards,

Searay

Heh, and thank you for appearing out of nowhere, finally there's someone to work with on this.

Curious that you didn't have this problem with the other RAM.

Are you using the same RAM in the other P5Q systems you have?

Have you tried underclocking your new RAM to 667MHz?

I've got a Kingston "Hyper X" KHX8500D2K2/2GN 2x1GB kit in mine. It's running at 800MHz currently because of the P4 CPU.

Datasheet: http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX8500D2K2_2GN.pdf

I haven't tried changing any of the (extensive and confusing) memory settings in the BIOS, all the memory settings are at the defaults.

My OSX installation imploded the other day and I'm waiting for a new HDD + a C2D E8500 CPU to arrive. When it gets here I'll reinstall and try tinkering with the memory settings. Stuff is arriving by boat to get around paying insane Brazilian import tax so it will be a while before I can start experimenting again.

From what I've read, the P5Q boards are notoriously picky about RAM and the BIOS history confirms this (nearly every revision mentions added memory compatibility). Maybe there are some compatibility issues affecting OSX, even if the memory is working fine with Windows. I'm using the latest BIOS (unmodified), I think it's 1901.

I did try underclocking and no go (I too have Kingston HyperX memory- funny coincidence eh?)

The part that is illogical is that if it boots and nothing changes then why not boot from a power-off state? It has to be the way the ASUS is handling the memory and OSX being as sensitive to this as a teenage girl who got dumped by her prom date but since we can boot from DVD's, to Windows, flash drives and so on, I am going to assume that the Munky method is our best hope here.

The crucial would only boot with one stick if underclocked to 667. Further testing revealed that using 2 sticks as dual channel even with the Crucial would cause the same issues.

I will let you know my progress (or lack thereof - LOL)

Searay

Please do!

After discovering the "fix", I assumed my JaS 10.5.4 DVD could boot because it was using patched ACPI/APIC kexts and that they somehow initialized the APIC correctly, but if you can boot retail 10.5.6 via boot-123 then that obviously can't be the case. The plot thickens.

The Kingston kit was the first that caught my eye when looking at the RAM compatibility list before I bought the motherboard. And the price was appealing as well. I've used Kingston RAM in my older PCs and so I stuck with what I know. Maybe this time I shouldn't have! Well let's see what happens later.

I'm kind of stuck with Vista at the moment but I'll get on it as well as soon as my hardware arrives.

I haven't tried installing retail here yet (P4 CPU), I'll prepare everything in the meantime.

/edit...but only because I didn't know it was possible. Didn't see this before:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123841

...and thank you for appearing out of nowhere, finally there's someone to work with on this.

LOL - Ive been around here for a while (since 2006)- I just usually sit in the shadows -

I look forward to working on this with you - I am sure we can get this issue resolved. In reviewing some of your posts I can tell your quite knowledgeable ;)

I promise to update you on what I am working on - I will be on it all day today as a matter of fact.

Regards,

Searay

CASE CLOSED!!!!

Hijacking the EFI partition corrects the issue of booting from a power off state!!!

use the Munky method in my earlier post to fix. No matter what I set my bios to, no matter what memory I run, no matter what i clock the CPU or memory to, IT BOOTS reliably.

Thanks for the ideas Beerkex'd - I could not have figured this out without YOU and Munky.

I did not follow his guide exactly so when I get the time I will post what I did to make it work (but you can follow his starting at "Phase 1: Reformatting the EFI System Partition.".

I hope this helps others experiencing this kind of hang!

Regards,

Searay

Awesome!! :)

And all this time I've been avoiding the boot-132 threads because I thought it was too complicated.

Can't sit and wait for my new CPU to arrive now..going to dive right in.

Thanks Searary_X, glad I found you. What are the odds.

I'll post results when I get there, right now I have to shuffle a lot of data before I can reformat and get started.

Looking forward to see your guide!

Like I said my friend - you were a HUGE help in getting this remedied and its a pretty easy fix over all.

On an off-topic subject- Talk about a strange coincidence - I noticed you list that your in Brazil? I spent a little time there years ago :)

I will assemble the guide ASAP.

Thanks again - maybe you and I can collaborate again on other phantom issues - I look forward to it.

Searay

Nah I didn't discover anything, that was a "me too" post up there. :angel:

Yes, I live and work in Brazil but I'm not Brazilian. It's a bit messy down here but the food and the people are great.

I guess I'll be posting a "retail on P5Q-E" guide in the future...if I can figure it out!

Haha, estar, estaria, estamos, estarei, estou, estava, estaremos, estaríamos, estaríeis, estavas, estavamos, estás... que raiva dessa lingua!

I'm still learning the grammar, it's very different from my native language.

I totally forgot about this excellent thread, it's for all P5Q series boards and explains how to install retail 10.5.5:

(Just to keep the info in one place, I know you already know about the thread)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144020

All necessary patched kexts are there, including a new AppleHDA.kext driver for the ADI2000B used on some P5Q boards.

I'd still like to make a new and simpler guide for 10.5.6 though.

Here's how to make a working legacy plist-only kext for the Marvell 88E08056 LAN:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157881

So far I'm back on iPC 10.5.6 OSX and trying to get patched extensions working from /extra/extensions, in preparation for a retail install.

I've got ICH10R (proper dev ID, icon fix), Marvell LAN and P-ATA controller working now but I'd like to fix the error messages during boot...

extension com.apple.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort is not loadable

kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort.

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" with older/same version (2.5 -> 2.5). (AppleYukon2.kext depends on this + IONetworkingFamily)

...and then get AppleHDA.kext working from there as well.

extension com.apple.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort is not loadable

kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort.

I fixed the above today with the new drive controller injector kexts that come with the new Chameleon bootloader installer.

I am trying to make a boot-132 CD to see if I can boot my retail DVD at all.

Is there is a way to load DSDT.aml from initrd.img?

I suppose I'd need a modified version of the boot-132 bootloader but I don't know if one exists. If it does it's difficult to find.

/Edit

Huh..there's something called CDBoot in the new Chameleon package.. gonna take a good look at that..

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" with older/same version (2.5 -> 2.5). (AppleYukon2.kext depends on this + IONetworkingFamily)

...and then get AppleHDA.kext working from there as well.

AppleHDA fixed with this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1106377

I'd still like to get rid of the IOPCIFamily duplicate message.

Apart from that my P5Q-E extensions.mkext is almost done.

All on-board hardware (except second LAN port but that's on purpose) is now covered.

• 3 weeks later...

Hah!

:yoji:

I've just now successfully installed retail Leopard 10.5.6 on top of my iPC 10.5.6 Hackintosh install.

First i made a new partition on my HDD and "restored" my 10.5.6 retail DVD to it with Disk Utility.

I made a "extra" folder at root and copied mach.kernel.voodoo to it (that's where my Chameleon 2.0 boot CD looks for it).

Then I booted into the 'retail' partition using my Chameleon 2.0 boot CD, started the installer..and installed.

And it booted right up!

I was worried it might delete /extra and the Chameleon bootloader but apparently doing a 'archive and install' doesn't touch any of that.

Then I reinstalled Parallels, Xcode, seatbelt and system.kext (to match the Voodoo Kernel) and my Logitech software, ran software update.. and it still works.

Now that I know this method is safe, I could install Chameleon 2.0 to my EFI partition, reinstall retail the same way...and then I should have working shutdown like Searay has.

{censored}.

I've installed retail 10.5.6 on a clean, GUID formatted hard drive using my Chameleon 2.0 boot CD.

Then I installed Chameleon 2.0 to the EFI partition and added my modifications, and it boots and works fine just like my previous install that had all modifications running from /extra.

But shutdown and cold boot still isn't working. I haven't tried sleep yet but I'm pretty sure that it won't work either. I can't cold boot without starting from my JaS 10.5.4 DVD first, same as I wrote earlier.

Either its the P5Q-E or my 9800GTX+ video card isn't compatible - or there is something wrong with my modifications. I haven't tried unplugging my Soundblaster X-Fi (only expansion card besides video) yet, maybe I should do that and see if anything changes.

I've got the smbios.plist set to macpro3,1 values with motherboard model, serial and everything double checked.

boot.plist just loads the voodoo 9.5 kernel, sets boot resolution to 1280x1024 and has instant menu set to yes.

In extensions.mkext I've got

AppleVIAATA.kext for my Marvell 6121 PATA controller

A disabler.kext that disables the upstream something something to fix the mouse jumping in Quicktime and iTunes

The AHCI injectors that come with Chameleon 2.0 to identify and fix ICH10 drive icons

ATAPortInjector.kext also from Chameleon 2.0 - I suppose I could get rid of that.

AD2000b.HDA.FIX.kext and HDEnabler.kext for sound

AppleDecrypt.kext

A modified AppleYukon2.kext with the IDs for the 88E8056 Marvell LAN - plus IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext for dependencies sake

I don't have an Extensions folder in /Extra.

Then I've got a DSDT.aml patched with CPU aliases removed, new HPET, local0 and WAK fixes, 88E8056 LAN time machine fix, and the 9800GTX+ inserted so that it loads from there. (Thanks Krazubu, Pere and Roisoft)

I'm using a clean ASUS 2001 BIOS. ACPI APIC and ACPI 2.0 is enabled, APM options disabled..

Plug n Play OS is set to yes, CPU options are as recommended for P4 CPUs, but I've tried changing them and it doesn't make any difference.

Using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel - I didn't install 9.5.0 system.kext or 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext yet.

--

Searay, could you post your modifications in detail?

And are you using modded BIOS or DSDT.aml, and how do you handle the SMBIOS stuff?

Sorry its been a while - Ive been real busy at work.

I did find a few more bits of info regarding the coldboot issue... I undid my fix for the hell of it and then installed a quad-core q9400. the problem went away. I now know what the cause is at least and I am going to write a patch file for this issue ;)

I will get to that walkthrough today and get you going. It will not be until late tonight though.

Regards,

Searau

Don't worry about me, take your time.

My new hardware is still in 'transito maritimo' so I'm not in any kind of a hurry to get things working. Right now I'm just playing around.

I formatted the drive and put Vista Ultimate back on it since the retail installation was doing the same thing as my iPC install. As an added bonus MacDrive works again - I found out the hard way that neither MacDrive or TransMac work under Vista Home Edition.

My iPC installation has been overwritten by a 'archive and install' of retail 10.5.6 now anyway so it's almost the same thing. I Just have to figure out how to move Chameleon to the EFI partition now without breaking anything.

Thanks for the heads-up Searay.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my new hardware (it only took three full months - at least it went through customs without incident!) and I'm now running retail 10.5.6 updated to 10.5.7.

Several new options appeared in the BIOS after upgrading to Core 2 Duo from Pentium 4 651, including a C-State setting, which was disabled by default.

Enabling this (in conjunction with running vanilla kernel on retail I guess) seems to allow me to shut down properly (most of the time) and, finally, cold boot. Funny, I swear I've seen people recommending disabling this setting.

Other settings - APIC enabled, ACPI 2.0 disabled, plug and play OS set to NO (those are BIOS defaults).

/EDIT - S3 sleep now works - set standby mode to S3 in the BIOS (default setting is "Auto") - see why in my next post.

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC1 with everything running from the EFI partition. It's pure bliss.

I'd still like to hear more about your patch/ideas, you've been kind of vague..or secretive..about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finally have sleep working. It turns out it was my video card.

Until now I've been using different injectors, an EFI device property string from OSX86Tools and I've even had it working via DSDT.aml.

There's a brand new injector out by Fassl, Turbo and Krazubu called NVEnabler, which is exclusively available over at the ProjectOSX forum.

So I gave that a spin today, and not only do I now have fully working TV-Out for the first time ever, it also made S3 sleep work. Totally amazing.

Sleep mode has to be set explicitly to "S3" in the BIOS however - the default setting of "Auto" causes a crash when trying to enter sleep mode.