I Got 10.5.6. Fully Functional* on an Compaq Evo N610C (laptop)

acmilancrazy

17 posts in this topic

Ok, so i used the iPC Universal PPF5 Final DVD (which is a real masterpiece btw :P ), and at first it seemed like the dvd wouldnt boot, just like every other Leopard dvd (obviously excluding Tiger dvds, i was able to install JaS 10.4.8. and Uphuck 10.4.9. but they didnt fully function...cant remember exactly what did and didnt work...) but after getting stuck on this one line of code [booting with the verbose (-v) boot flag], which was saying something with lines of code that read "mdnsresponder" and "using default bdevicexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and it would stay on this line of code for a good 10 to 15 minutes (maybe less if your lucky), and then it would FINALLY boot into the beautiful installation screen. From there, I selected the things i felt were needed by the computer to function [i used to recommend looking in Windows XP's device manager (right click My Computer> Manage>Device Manager) to see what kind of hardware you have before you try to install Mac OS X, although, on my brothers desktop, i ended up taking off the side panel and getting a flash light to see what kind of chips and hardware he had, but that was before i discovered the amazingly helpful program for windows called [b]Everest (Home Edition)[/b] which is free to download, and tells you everything you need to know about your computer including mobo info and chip info...theres a link at the bottom)

Ok, anyway, after i disabled legacy usb in BIOS settings, i was able to boot to the install dvd and erase my XP hard drive and partition it using disk utility. Then i installed the Operating System with patches etc...i'll post the things i selected cor installation when i get home (i have to go to work soon).

Now, when i installed the OS and rebooted, the ethernet worked but sound didnt work and the wifi card i used (I'm using a pcmcia Linksys wpc54g v1.2 wifi card and it works wonderfully) didnt work...however, i think this is because i didnt install the right kext files the first time...

So what I ended up doing was i went back to my install dvd in the OS and opened up Pacifist (app) and opened up the osinstall.mpkg or whatever it was called...its in the dvd in somefolder>installation>packages...i let pacifist open it up (which takes like 5 to ten min.) then i had it install the kext files from there which is a lot easier than using kextload commands in terminal...anyway, to get sound working, i used the AppleAC97Audio.kext file, and the broadcom drivers (under wireless drivers) along with the PCMCIAFamily.kext file for the card. I installed the broadcom drivers because i had previously gotten the card to show up even though it didnt work with airport, and it called it a broadcom card, so it probably has a broadcom chipset...I then rebooted and it worked! Power management im currently working on as the fan doesnt always work (even though i told it to spin as long as it was on a/c power in BIOS settings) and as a result it overheats and then shuts off without warning...but as long as you give it breaks from work, it shouldnt overheat.

PLEASE NOTE: UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO RELY SOLELY ON ETHERNET FOR INTERNET ACCESS, YOU NEED EITHER THE SAME KIND OF PCMCIA CARD AS ME, OR ANOTHER ONE THAT'LL WORK ;) which you can find by searching the forums to see other peoples experiences with different cards (just thought that needed clarification)

i have 512 MB of RAM and it runs wonderfully i just finished installing iLife '09 and im gonna play with garageband when i get home :D

questions? get at meh ;)

-acmilancrazy

Everest Home Edition

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

[b/][EDIT]: Still working on getting QE working should have a solution soon....

[EDIT]: You dont have to use Pacifist if you dont install the right drivers the first time...you can run the installation from the dvd INSIDE of your operating system....just pop it in, open it up and choose the drivers and patches you think are needed....

[EDIT]: Here are the installation settings i used (by clicking on the Customize button, you can select what you need...i didnt notice it at first, which is the only reason i say it ;] )

HERE'S HOW TO GET IT WORKING!!!!! (read above first, just take the time, it'll be worth it!)

OK, so first , make sure your base system is ticked at the top, and dont bother with the language translations...Then go through and tick everything i list here....

*Base system (like i said)

*Kernels

>9.4.0 StageXNU universal kernel Use the Voodoo Kernel Instead! That way, applications like Garageband wont crash! (However, once in a while, the operating system may crash, but its ok, just restart the computer and it will be fine!)

*Drivers

>Legacy Time Machine Fix (just in case)

>Video Drivers: Laptopdisplay, Natit, AGPGart 2.7.1 (i need to test this to see if this enables QE...ill get back to you guys)

>Chipset Drivers: Intel ICHx Sata Drivers, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA, Intel ICH10 SATA Support, LegacyJMicron IDE

>Audio Drivers: AC97 Audio

>Ethernet Drivers: Intel Pro 100/VE, Intel 82566MM /DC, Realtek R1000, PCGenRTL8139, Forcedeth nForce4 LAN Driver (not sure which one works, but ONE of them DOES WORK)

>Wireless Drivers: Broadcom Driver, IO80211Family.kext

>USB drivers: Patched USB drivers

>Power Management:AppleACPIBatteryManager, AppleACPIPowerSource, PowerManagement Package (im not sure if one of these works...still workin on it, but dont install VoodooPower unless i decide its ok cuz i installed it originally and it made the boot process fail on startup, so i had to boot from the install dvd and go into the terminal and delete it to make the drive bootable again)

*Fixes and Patches

>ACPI Fix

>IOUSBMassStorage Fix

>SATA Drive Icon Fix (new)

>Dual Boot Time Sync (only if you are dual booting, but im not sure that dual booting is possible on the Evo N610C without a lot of extra work...just use BootCamp instead ;) )

>IOPCIFamily.kext patched

>IOPCMCIAFamily

>Finder 10.5.5 + Keyboard.prefPane

>Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 (keeps the comp from crashing when you load DMGs)

>Shutdown/Restart fix

>CarbonLib Fix

*Alternate Disablers: IntelCPUPMDisabler (idk if this is needed)

*PS/2 Device Support: PS/2 mouse fix (the keyboard should work so you only need the mouse fix)

*DSDT Patches: Patch DSDT with NewHPET (force compile)

*AppleSMBIOS Patch: AppleSMBIOSEFI

*Applications: select all of them except for Marvin's AMD Utility and Zephyroth's Utilities (theyre AMD-related so not needed)...this section is really mostly up to what you want to do but definitely keep Pacifist and it may come in handy and keep NTFS 3-G + MacFUSE, which allows you to open up Windows formatted drives, given that they were properly ejected)[/b]

EDIT: To get the linksys pcmcia card working see this link:

Go to system>library>extensions>IO80211Family.kext and then open package contents....and then plugins, and then appleAirportbrcm4311.kext>contents> then open "info.plist" with the textedit app

find the hardware strings that look something like this:

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

and then add this one to the list:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

Now, repair permissions, and then restart, and it should work!! This works with WPC54G v1.2 and v2 idk about v3 though...

Hi acmilancrazy,

you are the man !!! Now Leopard is running on my Evo n610c. I have 1GB of RAM and 1800 CPU. But it needs about 6 minutes booting the OS ??? I tryed disabling Intel Speedstep and used -v flag. After that it took 2 minutes for booting.(but only for one time) . Then again about 6 minutes.

For Ethernet Driver I used Intel Pro 100/VE. No QE !

Thank you for your great work !!!

Sorry for my English, I'm from Germany. Watching the forum !!!

Ciao, kaerf52 :)

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear that I was able to help :(

as for the boot time, i have no idea. sorry...i never had that problem...you could try a different kernel perhaps, but i cant guarantee that it will work with a different kernel...im reinstalling with a different kernel right now so that i can get garage band working cuz it kept crashing whenever i tried to run it...

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear that I was able to help :wacko:

as for the boot time, i have no idea. sorry...i never had that problem...you could try a different kernel perhaps, but i cant guarantee that it will work with a different kernel...im reinstalling with a different kernel right now so that i can get garage band working cuz it kept crashing whenever i tried to run it...

Hi and Thank You ! I tried different kernels... 9.20 is working too but the same boot time like before (6 min.)

You have a different HDD (150 GB), but I think Graphic has only 32MB.You wrote 128 MB?...My is a 40 GB IDE. May be this is the reason ? Now I'm back to Jas 10.48 on the Lap(had an backup). It runs perfectly.QE inabled WIFI and a good performance. On my big machine (Pentium D) Jas 10.5.4 works perfectly.

Wish You much fun with Your Hackintosh....Ciao, kaerf52

Hi and Thank You ! I tried different kernels... 9.20 is working too but the same boot time like before (6 min.)

You have a different HDD (150 GB), but I think Graphic has only 32MB.You wrote 128 MB?...My is a 40 GB IDE. May be this is the reason ? Now I'm back to Jas 10.48 on the Lap(had an backup). It runs perfectly.QE inabled WIFI and a good performance. On my big machine (Pentium D) Jas 10.5.4 works perfectly.

Wish You much fun with Your Hackintosh....Ciao, kaerf52

Yea, i noticed that other people with the same graphics card have either 32 mb or 128 mb (it actually has 128 mb VRAM)...it just depends on the kext you are using..and ya, now that you mention HDD size, maybe since mine is brand new and most likely has a much higher read speed, that could be the problem...and ya, 10.4.8 can get QE enabled because it is using Open GL framework v1 whereas Leopard uses framework v2.0 AND they never made drivers that supported v2 for this graphics card, so QE cant be supported in Leopard =[

Yea, i noticed that other people with the same graphics card have either 32 mb or 128 mb (it actually has 128 mb VRAM)...it just depends on the kext you are using..and ya, now that you mention HDD size, maybe since mine is brand new and most likely has a much higher read speed, that could be the problem...and ya, 10.4.8 can get QE enabled because it is using Open GL framework v1 whereas Leopard uses framework v2.0 AND they never made drivers that supported v2 for this graphics card, so QE cant be supported in Leopard =[

Hi, i think ATI Radeon Mobility has either 16mb or 32mb VRAM.You can look for the HardwareCode(my is 4c57). It shows me also 128mb in System and PCI. If i install AGPGuard it shows an AGP-Card. But the Hardware has 16mb or 32mb, not more. For Jas 10.4.8 i use no Apple Driver for the Graphics.To get QE the Callisto-Driver is the best option.I think on the EVO N610c Leopard runs without working Open GL too. Many things are crashing.(Chess, iChat....).

Ciao and good luck...kaerf52

• 2 months later...

This helps a lot. I bookmarked. I already bought a Mac, and felt like I needed another computer around the house for the family. Nice to know that computer is still worth it. I also upgraded to 10.5.7 just fine, after reinstalling Seatbelt, and the custom Kernel of course :)

• 1 month later...

acmilancrazy, I followed your instructions for the n610c, and It boots fine. My questions is, did you load updates from Apple, and if so, how did you fix the boot problem. Second question, how do you edit the kext file for the linksys card. I have a pcmcia wpc54gv1, and do you have any idea on how to get it to work? The lights come on but airport can't see it. I do have Dynex Enchanced Wireless G card "P11827" that I got working in Linux using the broadcom drivers, but it doesn't light up. Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does this computer work on 10.5.8.?

Does it needs something else more?

Thank you.

sorry took so long to reply, i havent been on this forum for quite some time due to the busyness of everyday life. anyway, its been a while since ive messed with osx86 stuff, but, i think i remember being able to get JaS 10.4.8 and Uphuck 10.4.9 running on the laptop, i dont think the internet connection worked though, which is why i didnt stop at having one of those installs and keeping it. If you have a pcmcia card or a usb wifi stick, and you can get it running with airport, then it should work. i cant remember if i ever got the ethernet working...i dont think it but, then again, they may have better kexts out there for it now...hope this helps

• 6 months later...
sorry took so long to reply, i havent been on this forum for quite some time due to the busyness of everyday life. anyway, its been a while since ive messed with osx86 stuff, but, i think i remember being able to get JaS 10.4.8 and Uphuck 10.4.9 running on the laptop, i dont think the internet connection worked though, which is why i didnt stop at having one of those installs and keeping it. If you have a pcmcia card or a usb wifi stick, and you can get it running with airport, then it should work. i cant remember if i ever got the ethernet working...i dont think it but, then again, they may have better kexts out there for it now...hope this helps

Congratulations for your interesting job

I've written a P.M.

Regards

Donald

Great work! I tried all the distros and this is the only one that loaded successfully. Now to work on the video to QE/CI. Thanks again for your tutorial it was a piece of work!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i did everything you said, but it will act like its working for a while with the apple logo and the spinning loader thing at the bottom, but then a bunch of text comes up and says something about a kernel panic. what do i do? im kinda new at this...

• 5 weeks later...

I tried installing on an Ev0 N620c 1gb ram and it worked with minor hickkups. Both sound and wireless works here and there. I would actually have to click on the sound icon in the top system bar for it to work and I would drop wireless connectivity and would just pull the card out and replace it and I'd be fine again for a while. Thanks and Great work!

• 1 month later...

I picked up an evo n610c in a craigslist trade, trying to install iPC 10.5.6 with no luck yet, installs but boot hangs I'm going to try verbose and see what its stalling on;

Stalls on,(very early into boot, like half a screen in)

"using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO headers"

From searching this has to do with ACPI, ill try different patches. any ideas?

• 3 months later...
Ok, so i used the iPC Universal PPF5 Final DVD (which is a real masterpiece btw :wacko: ), and at first it seemed like the dvd wouldnt boot, just like every other Leopard dvd (obviously excluding Tiger dvds, i was able to install JaS 10.4.8. and Uphuck 10.4.9. but they didnt fully function...cant remember exactly what did and didnt work...) but after getting stuck on this one line of code [booting with the verbose (-v) boot flag], which was saying something with lines of code that read "mdnsresponder" and "using default bdevicexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and it would stay on this line of code for a good 10 to 15 minutes (maybe less if your lucky), and then it would FINALLY boot into the beautiful installation screen. From there, I selected the things i felt were needed by the computer to function [i used to recommend looking in Windows XP's device manager (right click My Computer> Manage>Device Manager) to see what kind of hardware you have before you try to install Mac OS X, although, on my brothers desktop, i ended up taking off the side panel and getting a flash light to see what kind of chips and hardware he had, but that was before i discovered the amazingly helpful program for windows called [b]Everest (Home Edition)[/b] which is free to download, and tells you everything you need to know about your computer including mobo info and chip info...theres a link at the bottom)

Ok, anyway, after i disabled legacy usb in BIOS settings, i was able to boot to the install dvd and erase my XP hard drive and partition it using disk utility. Then i installed the Operating System with patches etc...i'll post the things i selected cor installation when i get home (i have to go to work soon).

Now, when i installed the OS and rebooted, the ethernet worked but sound didnt work and the wifi card i used (I'm using a pcmcia Linksys wpc54g v1.2 wifi card and it works wonderfully) didnt work...however, i think this is because i didnt install the right kext files the first time...

So what I ended up doing was i went back to my install dvd in the OS and opened up Pacifist (app) and opened up the osinstall.mpkg or whatever it was called...its in the dvd in somefolder>installation>packages...i let pacifist open it up (which takes like 5 to ten min.) then i had it install the kext files from there which is a lot easier than using kextload commands in terminal...anyway, to get sound working, i used the AppleAC97Audio.kext file, and the broadcom drivers (under wireless drivers) along with the PCMCIAFamily.kext file for the card. I installed the broadcom drivers because i had previously gotten the card to show up even though it didnt work with airport, and it called it a broadcom card, so it probably has a broadcom chipset...I then rebooted and it worked! Power management im currently working on as the fan doesnt always work (even though i told it to spin as long as it was on a/c power in BIOS settings) and as a result it overheats and then shuts off without warning...but as long as you give it breaks from work, it shouldnt overheat.

PLEASE NOTE: UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO RELY SOLELY ON ETHERNET FOR INTERNET ACCESS, YOU NEED EITHER THE SAME KIND OF PCMCIA CARD AS ME, OR ANOTHER ONE THAT'LL WORK :) which you can find by searching the forums to see other peoples experiences with different cards (just thought that needed clarification)

i have 512 MB of RAM and it runs wonderfully i just finished installing iLife '09 and im gonna play with garageband when i get home :D

questions? get at meh ;)

-acmilancrazy

Everest Home Edition

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

[b/][EDIT]: Still working on getting QE working should have a solution soon....

[EDIT]: You dont have to use Pacifist if you dont install the right drivers the first time...you can run the installation from the dvd INSIDE of your operating system....just pop it in, open it up and choose the drivers and patches you think are needed....

[EDIT]: Here are the installation settings i used (by clicking on the Customize button, you can select what you need...i didnt notice it at first, which is the only reason i say it ;] )

HERE'S HOW TO GET IT WORKING!!!!! (read above first, just take the time, it'll be worth it!)

OK, so first , make sure your base system is ticked at the top, and dont bother with the language translations...Then go through and tick everything i list here....

*Base system (like i said)

*Kernels

>9.4.0 StageXNU universal kernel Use the Voodoo Kernel Instead! That way, applications like Garageband wont crash! (However, once in a while, the operating system may crash, but its ok, just restart the computer and it will be fine!)

*Drivers

>Legacy Time Machine Fix (just in case)

>Video Drivers: Laptopdisplay, Natit, AGPGart 2.7.1 (i need to test this to see if this enables QE...ill get back to you guys)

>Chipset Drivers: Intel ICHx Sata Drivers, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA, Intel ICH10 SATA Support, LegacyJMicron IDE

>Audio Drivers: AC97 Audio

>Ethernet Drivers: Intel Pro 100/VE, Intel 82566MM /DC, Realtek R1000, PCGenRTL8139, Forcedeth nForce4 LAN Driver (not sure which one works, but ONE of them DOES WORK)

>Wireless Drivers: Broadcom Driver, IO80211Family.kext

>USB drivers: Patched USB drivers

>Power Management:AppleACPIBatteryManager, AppleACPIPowerSource, PowerManagement Package (im not sure if one of these works...still workin on it, but dont install VoodooPower unless i decide its ok cuz i installed it originally and it made the boot process fail on startup, so i had to boot from the install dvd and go into the terminal and delete it to make the drive bootable again)

*Fixes and Patches

>ACPI Fix

>IOUSBMassStorage Fix

>SATA Drive Icon Fix (new)

>Dual Boot Time Sync (only if you are dual booting, but im not sure that dual booting is possible on the Evo N610C without a lot of extra work...just use BootCamp instead ;) )

>IOPCIFamily.kext patched

>IOPCMCIAFamily

>Finder 10.5.5 + Keyboard.prefPane

>Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 (keeps the comp from crashing when you load DMGs)

>Shutdown/Restart fix

>CarbonLib Fix

*Alternate Disablers: IntelCPUPMDisabler (idk if this is needed)

*PS/2 Device Support: PS/2 mouse fix (the keyboard should work so you only need the mouse fix)

*DSDT Patches: Patch DSDT with NewHPET (force compile)

*AppleSMBIOS Patch: AppleSMBIOSEFI

*Applications: select all of them except for Marvin's AMD Utility and Zephyroth's Utilities (theyre AMD-related so not needed)...this section is really mostly up to what you want to do but definitely keep Pacifist and it may come in handy and keep NTFS 3-G + MacFUSE, which allows you to open up Windows formatted drives, given that they were properly ejected)[/b]

EDIT: To get the linksys pcmcia card working see this link:

Go to system>library>extensions>IO80211Family.kext and then open package contents....and then plugins, and then appleAirportbrcm4311.kext>contents> then open "info.plist" with the textedit app

find the hardware strings that look something like this:

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

and then add this one to the list:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

Now, repair permissions, and then restart, and it should work!! This works with WPC54G v1.2 and v2 idk about v3 though...

Hey! great guide! it installed awesome on my n610c but the problem is after install it hangs at using 2621 buffer headers and io clusters :/ And plus can you be more specific on how to get the sound working? im new at this and what can i do to fix the 2621 header problem? the only way i can get into the os is putting rd=disk1s2 using the install dvd and did you get full resolution?