LED Cinema Display (24 flat panel)

melm25

32 posts in this topic

I'm wondering this as well, doesn't seem there is an adaptor that goes from a DVI female to Mini Display Port Male. Would installing the Apple GT120 or 4870 in a hackintosh work? Specifically the GT120, I've looked around the forum and didn't see anybody talking about wether this was possible.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering this as well, doesn't seem there is an adaptor that goes from a DVI female to Mini Display Port Male. Would installing the Apple GT120 or 4870 in a hackintosh work? Specifically the GT120, I've looked around the forum and didn't see anybody talking about wether this was possible.

GT120 should work for ya.

• 1 month later...

I installed an original Apple GT 120 in my PC. It kinda works. I explain...

I need to boot the PC with a DVI display, then, when the finder is displayed I can plug in the MiniDisplay port of the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display (and eventually unplug the other screen).

I rarely shut down because I would need to re-perform this procedure. Going to sleep and wake up works fine (no need to play with displays).

If anyone has a better idea it would be greatly welcome.

By the way, I have the same setup at work with Windows Vista and it works just fine with one display on DVI and the 24" LED on MiniDisplay.

I need to boot the PC with a DVI display, then, when the finder is displayed I can plug in the MiniDisplay port of the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display (and eventually unplug the other screen).

I rarely shut down because I would need to re-perform this procedure. Going to sleep and wake up works fine (no need to play with displays).

By the way, I have the same setup at work with Windows Vista and it works just fine with one display on DVI and the 24" LED on MiniDisplay.

First off, How are you getting your graphics to work? Natit? EFI Strings? DSDT Injection?

First off, How are you getting your graphics to work? Natit? EFI Strings? DSDT Injection?

I am also interested, the Apple LED cinema display is probably one of the best display on the market (LED, IPS, Non Wide Gamut, Clear text, Great design, Low Depth, Aluminium...) and also one of the most expensive (899$ in US and 850€ in Europe) :P

If the screen works directly at boot on Mac Pro and Mac mini, it should work great on a Hackintosh but after Chameleon Boot by using a genuine Apple graphic card with mini display port, EFIstrings, and Official Apple Kexts ;) .

When i was thinking of buying this screen, I thought the main problem would be to make it work on Windows but not on a Hackintosh...

Just for curiosity Do you get the wierd ticking noise some users complain about ?

• 2 weeks later...

NVinstaller v.52

I am also interested, the Apple LED cinema display is probably one of the best display on the market (LED, IPS, Non Wide Gamut, Clear text, Great design, Low Depth, Aluminium...) and also one of the most expensive (899$ in US and 850€ in Europe) :P

If the screen works directly at boot on Mac Pro and Mac mini, it should work great on a Hackintosh but after Chameleon Boot by using a genuine Apple graphic card with mini display port, EFIstrings, and Official Apple Kexts :) .

When i was thinking of buying this screen, I thought the main problem would be to make it work on Windows but not on a Hackintosh...

Just for curiosity Do you get the wierd ticking noise some users complain about ?

No I hear no weird sound at all. The speakers just work fine.

NVinstaller v.52

No I hear no weird sound at all. The speakers just work fine.

NVinject is a really outdated tricks and i think it's not the best way for using an Apple graphic Card with mini display port on a Hackintosh.

A nvidia GT120 is nothing more than a nvidia 9500GT so it should work great with correct EFIstrings and the official Apple kext.

And on another topic talking about Genuine Apple 8800GT in Hackintosh http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135756

Aqua-mac explained that

The Apple card will have zero advantage over a std PC 8800 GT as it's bios is made up of a std "PC" part and an EFI part. A PC will read the "PC" part but will totally ignore the EFI part, which means your PC will see the card exactly the same as a std PC card. The full EFI bios will only be read by a EFI logicboard in a genuine Apple computer. However, the card should still work fine in a hack.

And for the "wierd sound", it is not supposed to come from the speakers of the screen but from the screen itself. It seems that the powersupply integrated in the screen produces some noises after some weeks of use (for a 850€ screen it's unacceptable).

NVinject is a really outdated tricks and i think it's not the best way for using an Apple graphic Card with mini display port on a Hackintosh.

A nvidia GT120 is nothing more than a nvidia 9500GT so it should work great with correct EFIstrings and the official Apple kext.

And on another topic talking about Genuine Apple 8800GT in Hackintosh http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135756

I tried the Aquamac procedure ton a clean install) but I get the exact same result.

any news on this?

Current situation:

Cinema Display on MiniDisplay

NEC MultiSync on DVI

To allow boot, unplug Cinema Display and switch on

Once on the Finder screen, plug Cinema Display

When done working, go to suspend mode, the machine goes to sleep

To turn back on, press power button, both screens are OK.

You don't even need to switch DVI screen on.

Thank you for noticing my post. Let me make a brief summary of it. GT 120 + LCD display contraption has actually two parts: graphics part and USB audio part. (Three, if you count iSight, but since it did not give me any problems - I do not count it :) ) Your experience with either of them will greatly depend on the motherboard you have. I have tested two.

Intel DG31PR: graphics OK, board does not boot if USB cable from Apple's LCD is inserted. It has no general USB audio problems, but does not see Display's USB audio devices when inserted after boot.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P: graphics has one strange problem in Dock.app (can be worked around), Display's USB can be made working, but: general USB audio problems with this board on MacOS X (small, but nasty enough).

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for noticing my post. Let me make a brief summary of it. GT 120 + LCD display contraption has actually two parts: graphics part and USB audio part. (Three, if you count iSight, but since it did not give me any problems - I do not count it :P ) Your experience with either of them will greatly depend on the motherboard you have. I have tested two.

Intel DG31PR: graphics OK, board does not boot if USB cable from Apple's LCD is inserted. It has no general USB audio problems, but does not see Display's USB audio devices when inserted after boot.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P: graphics has one strange problem in Dock.app (can be worked around), Display's USB can be made working, but: general USB audio problems with this board on MacOS X (small, but nasty enough).

I wish there was some kind of hack / workaround / adapter thing to make this easier....

It just looks so damn good! :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got it working: Apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and Apple LED Cinema Display 24" using Mini DisplayPort

1) Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r600.pkg.zip

2) Edited /Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist and added

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

3) Removed NVInject

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Downloaded and Installed NVIDIA drivers NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver Installer 18.5.2f16.mpkg

Works now like a charm... hope it helps you.

By the way I bought Mini Display extension cables and they just work fine.

Finally got it working: Apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and Apple LED Cinema Display 24" using Mini DisplayPort

1) Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r600.pkg.zip

2) Edited /Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist and added

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

3) Removed NVInject

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Downloaded and Installed NVIDIA drivers NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver Installer 18.5.2f16.mpkg

Works now like a charm... hope it helps you.

By the way I bought Mini Display extension cables and they just work fine.

I'm in the same situation and have followed the steps you listed, but the NVIDIA driver package won't install.

"Unsupported System - This computer will not support this NVIDIA graphics solution."

Any thoughts?

I'm in the same situation and have followed the steps you listed, but the NVIDIA driver package won't install.

"Unsupported System - This computer will not support this NVIDIA graphics solution."

Any thoughts?

Are you sure you updated /Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist and not the original one ?

My OSX version is also 10.5.7, I don't see any reason why the MB would impact this.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any motherboard limitations for using the Apple GT120? For instance, I have a GA EP45-DS3R motherboard. Can it take the GT120 to drive an Apple 24" LED monitor?

I had read somewhere that the GT120 had DDR3 memory, which precluded it from running on a motherboard that used DDR2 memory. Is that the case? I figured the video card was an independent actor, as long as it talked with the MB, it would be fine. But the Apple page seems to imply that a MB that supports DDR3 is required.

Is there any motherboard limitations for using the Apple GT120? For instance, I have a GA EP45-DS3R motherboard. Can it take the GT120 to drive an Apple 24" LED monitor?

I had read somewhere that the GT120 had DDR3 memory, which precluded it from running on a motherboard that used DDR2 memory. Is that the case? I figured the video card was an independent actor, as long as it talked with the MB, it would be fine. But the Apple page seems to imply that a MB that supports DDR3 is required.

I don't see any link between the two but it's true that both PC I use with GT120 have DDR3 memory...

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Does anybody know if it’s possible to have the Apple 4870 in a Hackintosh (the one with Mini Displayport). I’m planning to use it to run a 24 inch LED Cinema display. Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks